• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Dragon's Revenge: Cataclysm Interest Check!

I'm coming off a long hiatus and looking for something fun. Interested.

All aquatic Dragons have a pair of gills and a set of lungs, so they can survive both under and out of water. In terms of color changing scales, I hadn't really thought about that one but I don't see why it would be a problem to allow that to be a thing. However the changing scale color is limited. They can't use it to perfectly blend into their surroundings and avoid a critical eye. There will be a shimmer and outline of their bodies at all times due to the properties of light.

As for levitation?

In the traditional sense of "I use this levitation spell to defy gravity!"... The short answer is "no" (long answer and explanation below).

There are certain magical practices which can help you temporarily overcome gravity such as concentrating streams of fire beneath your feet like rocket boots, or using air magic in combination with the proper attire or devices which act like bird wings to generate lift. But nothing will let you defy gravity outright and just levitate and float around at will without some form of lift or propulsion generation.

The laws of physics are in play and even magic is subject to them.

Even the mighty Dragons are not defying gravity when they fly. They must maintain activity in order to stay in the air by flapping their wings and generating lift. Despite the Dragon's magnificence and the fact that they are in control of all forms of magic including some which the mortal humanoids cannot use, their flight is not free.
So no Eastern dragons? There is no way at all for me to make a sky noodle?

So no Eastern dragons? There is no way at all for me to make a sky noodle?

No. Eastern or Asian Dragons without wings which seem to fly without any generation of lift are not part of this RP as that is in direct violation of the laws of physics. Wingless Dragons in this RP are earth bound and cannot fly at all unless it's via the use of magic in which case it's not true flight and is limited by their stamina.

If that's a deal breaker for you, kindly remain silent and walk away.

Thank you.

I'm coming off a long hiatus and looking for something fun. Interested.

Thanks for your interest Whisker.

The first post of this thread had a link to the RP where you can read up in the various forums what the RP is really all about.

Thanks for your interest Whisker.

The first post of this thread had a link to the RP where you can read up in the various forums what the RP is really all about.

Nice. I'll give it a read-over when I get off work later tonight.

No. Eastern or Asian Dragons without wings which seem to fly without any generation of lift are not part of this RP as that is in direct violation of the laws of physics. Wingless Dragons in this RP are earth bound and cannot fly at all unless it's via the use of magic in which case it's not true flight and is limited by their stamina.

If that's a deal breaker for you, kindly remain silent and walk away.

Thank you.
I said it was a large factor, not a deal breaker. No need to be rude.

And "not true flight"/"limited by stamina" are fine. I never expected my character to be able to remain in mid-air as long as they wanted without having some lighter-than-air ability, which of course would come with its own drawbacks.

I said it was a large factor, not a deal breaker. No need to be rude.

And "not true flight"/"limited by stamina" are fine. I never expected my character to be able to remain in mid-air as long as they wanted without having some lighter-than-air ability, which of course would come with its own drawbacks.

I wasn't being rude. I was simply asking that if it was a deal breaker that you kindly and silently walk away. Usually when I tell people that something they want isn't part of an RP I'm working on they get angry and leave hate comments berating the RP's design because it didn't conform to their desires.

Due to how many people do that on this site, I feel obligated to ask that if something isn't to someone's liking that they kindly and silently walk away without a fuss.

I wasn't being rude. I was simply asking that if it was a deal breaker that you kindly and silently walk away. Usually when I tell people that something they want isn't part of an RP I'm working on they get angry and leave hate comments berating the RP's design because it didn't conform to their desires.

Due to how many people do that on this site, I feel obligated to ask that if something isn't to someone's liking that they kindly and silently walk away without a fuss.
It's fine. I get can hostile if someone so much as compares my last name to a fruit.

But could my dragon fly by filling themselves with helium and floating around like a dragon balloon?

It's fine. I get can hostile if someone so much as compares my last name to a fruit.

But could my dragon fly by filling themselves with helium and floating around like a dragon balloon?

After a bit of studying I have found that it is possible to work that into this RP given the realism I'm trying to capture with the physics and all that.

To make this work your Dragon will have to feed on subtly radioactive minerals like Monazite, Carnotite, and Cleveite. Many of these minerals are found deep underground in ore deposits, so part of your Dragon's life will be spent digging for said minerals. A mountainous life style would suit it rather well in this respect. In the RP we won't have the scientific names of these minerals, so we'll just call them ore for the sake of simplicity.

If your Dragon feeds on these minerals then their body can process the ore and extract the elements and gasses from them at a chemical level. Then it can isolate and direct the helium to a special series of sacs throughout its body which concentrate it and generate lift because it's lighter than regular air and can thus lift the Dragon into the air. By regulating the amount of helium in each sac and using its body to take advantage of whatever air currents are present in the area your Dragon can control where it is going.

Would it be possible to reserve for a dragon to possess the ability to see other peoples desires?

Would it be possible to reserve the ability of Telepathy? I'm guessing that it's reserved to surface thoughts/dialogue correct?

Yes, you may reserve the ability. And yes, that's correct. Telepathy is a method of mental communication. It has no other capability in this RP.

Yes, you may reserve the ability. And yes, that's correct. Telepathy is a method of mental communication. It has no other capability in this RP.

Ok. I'm also curious about something else now. Could a dragon possess the ability to see another persons desires?

Sounds great, I'm always prowling the roleplays Chosadow starts because I usually am interested in his topics of roleplay and style. That being said I'm usually not a huge fan of creatures like dragons having a civilised society because I find it draws away from what makes them so fun - a creature of wild power and strength. With that I'm most likely going to create a character that bases themselves less within the starting location and more likely starts off with a subplot tying into the main quest.

Sounds great, I'm always prowling the roleplays Chosadow starts because I usually am interested in his topics of roleplay and style. That being said I'm usually not a huge fan of creatures like dragons having a civilised society because I find it draws away from what makes them so fun - a creature of wild power and strength. With that I'm most likely going to create a character that bases themselves less within the starting location and more likely starts off with a subplot tying into the main quest.

Thank you kindly, and that sounds fine.

That's what is going to happen with one of my characters.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly, and that sounds fine.

That's what is going to happen with one of my characters.

If I can ask, what is the size limit? I'm thinking on making a two-part character, one being immensely large and the other rather small.
For reference, Immensely large means around the same size as a blue whale or slightly larger.

If I can ask, what is the size limit? I'm thinking on making a two-part character, one being immensely large and the other rather small.
For reference, Immensely large means around the same size as a blue whale or slightly larger.

Two-part character? May I ask that you elaborate on that?

Dragons range from the size of a small car to around 25' in height at the shoulder meaning they stand (quadrupedally of course) at around 32-40' tall when their heads are held straight up in the air.

Some Dragons stand on two legs like birds of prey instead of on all fours, and they're typically a bit taller at around 50' in height.

They don't get super huge. Sil'Eph Niir, as a Goddess, is the sole exception.

Two-part character? May I ask that you elaborate on that?

Dragons range from the size of a small car to around 25' in height at the shoulder meaning they stand (quadrupedally of course) at around 32-40 tall when their heads are held straight up in the air. Some Dragons stand on two legs like birds of prey instead of on all fours, and they're typically a bit taller at around 50' in height.

They don't get super huge. Sil'Eph Niir, as a Goddess, is the sole exception.
When you talk about sizing (apologies if it's obvious and this is a stupid question) are you referring to meters or feet?
Also, by two part character I mean I intended to make a mother and child character, the mother being very large and a predominantly dormant character in order to limit energy consumption for her size, and the child being around the same size as a large dog.

When you talk about sizing (apologies if it's obvious and this is a stupid question) are you referring to meters or feet?
Also, by two part character I mean I intended to make a mother and child character, the mother being very large and a predominantly dormant character in order to limit energy consumption for her size, and the child being around the same size as a large dog.

Ah, I see.

When it comes to size I'm talking about feet, hence the ' next to the numbers. Meters is generally marked by the placement of a lower case "m" such as 50m.

Anyway, I don't mind the mother and child character idea. However do take this to heart:

Depending on the size the child Dragon would be if it grew to full maturity, making it the size of a small dog now will drastically change what it's capable of.

* If the child is going to grow into a large species like his mother, being the size of a small dog makes it an infant, potentially just hatched which means that the infant will have next to zero coherent cognitive ability. This means that it is, in every way, a clueless infant who has no idea what's going on in the world around them and who's only just experiencing much of this for the first time in its life. An infant requires 100% observation and attention from its mother lest it get itself killed. And what's worse is that an infant has zero combat capabilities. This means no breath and no other ability like telekinesis. Its scales are also soft and weak, vulnerable to even a small hunting knife or the teeth of a common wolf.

* If the child is going to grow into a medium sized Dragon (meaning between 10-18' in height at the shoulder on all fours) then being the size of a small dog would make it a child in every sense. This would make it more intelligent and at least capable of holding a conversation. Not very advanced conversations and it still will have next to no combat capabilities, but at least it wouldn't need constant observation. It won't need to be quite as babied either. Its scales will protect it from most forms of wildlife, but humanoid crafted swords or well-made daggers will still pierce through the small gaps.

* If the child is going to grow into a small Dragon (meaning 10' or less at the shoulder) then a small dog will be still a child, but more a pre-pubescent child (equivalent to a 10-12 year old human, basically). Much more intelligent and it will have, by this time in its life, at least unlocked the ability to use its breath attack. It likely won't have learned to use its other ability.

Please consider this information carefully in how you proceed.

Ah, I see.

When it comes to size I'm talking about feet, hence the ' next to the numbers. Meters is generally marked by the placement of a lower case "m" such as 50m.

Anyway, I don't mind the mother and child character idea. However do take this to heart:

Depending on the size the child Dragon would be if it grew to full maturity, making it the size of a small dog now will drastically change what it's capable of.

* If the child is going to grow into a large species like his mother, being the size of a small dog makes it an infant, potentially just hatched which means that the infant will have next to zero coherent cognitive ability. This means that it is, in every way, a clueless infant who has no idea what's going on in the world around them and who's only just experiencing much of this for the first time in its life. An infant requires 100% observation and attention from its mother lest it get itself killed. And what's worse is that an infant has zero combat capabilities. This means no breath and no other ability like telekinesis. Its scales are also soft and weak, vulnerable to even a small hunting knife or the teeth of a common wolf.

* If the child is going to grow into a medium sized Dragon (meaning between 10-18' in height at the shoulder on all fours) then being the size of a small dog would make it a child in every sense. This would make it more intelligent and at least capable of holding a conversation. Not very advanced conversations and it still will have next to no combat capabilities, but at least it wouldn't need constant observation. It won't need to be quite as babied either. Its scales will protect it from most forms of wildlife, but humanoid crafted swords or well-made daggers will still pierce through the small gaps.

* If the child is going to grow into a small Dragon (meaning 10' or less at the shoulder) then a small dog will be still a child, but more a pre-pubescent child (equivalent to a 10-12 year old human, basically). Much more intelligent and it will have, by this time in its life, at least unlocked the ability to use its breath attack. It likely won't have learned to use its other ability.

Please consider this information carefully in how you proceed.

I am well aware of the drastic size difference - and I admit it is definitely something I'll have to be careful with. I wanted the species to be long-lived (not to the point of ridiculousness, considering how south that can go. About I'd say able to live for a thousand years at most) And as such development was slow but steady. Because of this I wanted to have the child have the mental understanding of around a ten year old, albeit a rather naieve one. Even so I'm well aware of the limited combat abilities and increased clumsy movement possibilities. The breath ability I wanted for them would be budding at most, with the young dragon being only able to breath small bursts that were scarcely larger then an arm's length. If you think this is too inaccurate and want me to edit any of these conceptual ideas drastically I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back