• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragonball: Ascension (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Salutations. Is a human martial artist in the same ilk as Yamcha, Krillin and Tienshinhan out of the question? Are humans capable of rivaling the Saiyans with enough training in this universe or must they rely entirely on imitations of ki control?

Salutations. Is a human martial artist in the same ilk as Yamcha, Krillin and Tienshinhan out of the question? Are humans capable of rivaling the Saiyans with enough training in this universe or must they rely entirely on imitations of ki control?

Hi there!

Unlike the original source material, human beings are absolutely capable of at least keeping general pace with the Saiyans (outside of the SS transformations). So there's definitely a place for them in this RP without any worry of them becoming irrelevant like poor Yamcha and Tien by the time of DBS.

Hmm, I don’t see much potential for our characters having met before. Unless Nolan is Pho’s uncle on his late mother’s side? I dunno, I’m spitballing, them being related by blood is one option, methinks. He’s spent basically his whole life in the School, so unless Nolan visited the School or something they never could have met personally. Maybe Ryudo (Pho’s father) is more likely to have met him? Any amount of time could have passed between Ryudo leaving the school to pursue other things and meeting Pho’s mother.

Hmm, I don’t see much potential for our characters having met before. Unless Nolan is Pho’s uncle on his late mother’s side? I dunno, I’m spitballing, them being related by blood is one option, methinks. He’s spent basically his whole life in the School, so unless Nolan visited the School or something they never could have met personally. Maybe Ryudo (Pho’s father) is more likely to have met him? Any amount of time could have passed between Ryudo leaving the school to pursue other things and meeting Pho’s mother.
Well Nolan did travel the world after his procedures looking for strong opponents. Perhaps he met Pho’s father or could he his brother who went a different route. He could also have stumbled upon his master at some point. I actually think I like the idea of mixing the two, he could have met Pho’s father and probably got steered towards the school where he could have visited a few times as he would be a good sparring partner because he is tough, and would be a good person to test ones metal against as his wide range of attack venues offer ample opportunity for improvement.

He needn’t have actually met Pho if you don’t want to. But they would at least know of the existence of one another and would likely be excited to meet the other.

Out of curiosity did your character surpass your father and or master?

Hmm, his father, maybe, definitely not his master. That all seems feasible, Pho could totally meet Nolan and be like, ‘woah, it’s the cyborg my dad always talks about’.

Hmm, his father, maybe, definitely not his master. That all seems feasible, Pho could totally meet Nolan and be like, ‘woah, it’s the cyborg my dad always talks about’.
Awesome and Nolan will likely respond with something along the lines of “oh your HIS kid, makes sense then. Loads of potential in that family.”

K.O.D K.O.D grudge grudge Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Hi guys!

Something came up which I need to update you all on. The concept of "life force" in the RP.

For the sake of this RP, your Ki basically is your life force. No Ki means no energy flowing through your body to power your heart. No heart pumping, no blood reaching your brain... Dead. Very, very dead.

Just wanted to make that clear so everyone's on the same page.

Coolio?

K.O.D K.O.D grudge grudge Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Hi guys!

Something came up which I need to update you all on. The concept of "life force" in the RP.

For the sake of this RP, your Ki basically is your life force. No Ki means no energy flowing through your body to power your heart. No heart pumping, no blood reaching your brain... Dead. Very, very dead.

Just wanted to make that clear so everyone's on the same page.

Coolio?
Okay. And this applies for androids as well? I’m assuming so. Though this raises a question as to how that will effect things like Ki absorbing abilities in the future.

Okay. And this applies for androids as well? I’m assuming so. Though this raises a question as to how that will effect things like Ki absorbing abilities in the future.

Mornin all. I'm sleepy. Lol.

Anyway, Androids are a somewhat unusual case. So I'll do my best to explain how the concept of "death" works for them.

If they don't still have a functional biological heart that pumps blood via Ki like other biological life forms, they'll have some kind of internal power source that uses Ki to function in the same capacity.

If they still have biological organs, especially the heart, brain, and lungs, then if they run out of Ki they're dead dead like any other biological being.

If their bodies are running on mechanical replacements of organs, or don't have organs to speak of and instead run on a different kind of bio-mechanical processing unit, then when they run out of Ki they'll be "dead" like any machine would be if you unplugged the power cable. Providing they're given enough Ki to jumpstart that processing unit, they'll be able to come back. But like any machine, they might be missing a few files or memories of the seconds leading up to the shut down. But it's a minor thing, really.

As for Ki absorption, we're going to stay away from direct and literal "absorption" and say it's not a thing in this RP. Ki vampirism raises the question of whether it's additive, a multiplier, or both. And then there's the issue of explaining why it's one, the other, or both. And that's a headache I don't really care to deal with. Lol. So yeah. We're not doing Ki absorption.

That said, a few things are still possible which are similar to but not really "absorption":

1) Giving Ki - Transferring your own Ki to another being (no need for a further explanation, lol)

2) Ki Conversion - Converting one form of energy to another such as Nolan's Kinetic-External conversion technique, or taking a technique like a Ki ball and concentrating on converting the Ki's form into that of fire or a more lightning-based state instead of the steady Ki ball (** This will be explained below).

Ki Conversion is possible because Ki, when it comes to blasts and such, is just controlled plasma. Plasma is super-heated air which exists in a state between solid, liquid, and gas, being none yet sort of all of them at the same time in a weird way.

When our characters concentrate their Ki control on a specified area like between their hands, they're controlling their electric potential to superheat the air and create a plasma-based technique which they're then launching at the enemy in some form or another (stream, ball, disc, etc). Because that air was converted from gas to plasma, it's still capable of being further converted. If we relax the electric potential, we can turn the Ki ball into a fireball similar to Vegeta's attack in the Saiyan Saga which looked like fireballs instead of regular Ki blasts and took off part of Goku's Gi.

So that's Ki conversion. Controlling the exact state of our Ki attacks making them range from fire, plasma, or a more lightning-like (which is the most difficult to control and utilize effectively due to how wild and naturally uncontrollable lightning actually is).

And as noted, Nolan's conversion of Kinetic energy to an external energy-based attack is another form of this kind of conversion. In Nolan's case he's converting the energy generated upon impact with his body and guiding through some sort of specialized pathway to a container within himself where it's being stored and given a charge which superheats it and converts it into a plasma-based form before being unleashed when he's ready. It's all really scientific and physics-ish. And I'm no physicist so I can't really explain any further what the specifics are. But that's the general gist of what's happening in Nolan's case. He's not really absorbing energy. He's converting it. And that's why he still takes damage from the hits.

So yeah... That's my sleepy brain's explanation for that stuff. 😅

Mornin all. I'm sleepy. Lol.

Anyway, Androids are a somewhat unusual case. So I'll do my best to explain how the concept of "death" works for them.

If they don't still have a functional biological heart that pumps blood via Ki like other biological life forms, they'll have some kind of internal power source that uses Ki to function in the same capacity.

If they still have biological organs, especially the heart, brain, and lungs, then if they run out of Ki they're dead dead like any other biological being.

If their bodies are running on mechanical replacements of organs, or don't have organs to speak of and instead run on a different kind of bio-mechanical processing unit, then when they run out of Ki they'll be "dead" like any machine would be if you unplugged the power cable. Providing they're given enough Ki to jumpstart that processing unit, they'll be able to come back. But like any machine, they might be missing a few files or memories of the seconds leading up to the shut down. But it's a minor thing, really.

As for Ki absorption, we're going to stay away from direct and literal "absorption" and say it's not a thing in this RP. Ki vampirism raises the question of whether it's additive, a multiplier, or both. And then there's the issue of explaining why it's one, the other, or both. And that's a headache I don't really care to deal with. Lol. So yeah. We're not doing Ki absorption.

That said, a few things are still possible which are similar to but not really "absorption":

1) Giving Ki - Transferring your own Ki to another being (no need for a further explanation, lol)

2) Ki Conversion - Converting one form of energy to another such as Nolan's Kinetic-External conversion technique, or taking a technique like a Ki ball and concentrating on converting the Ki's form into that of fire or a more lightning-based state instead of the steady Ki ball (** This will be explained below).

Ki Conversion is possible because Ki, when it comes to blasts and such, is just controlled plasma. Plasma is super-heated air which exists in a state between solid, liquid, and gas, being none yet sort of all of them at the same time in a weird way.

When our characters concentrate their Ki control on a specified area like between their hands, they're controlling their electric potential to superheat the air and create a plasma-based technique which they're then launching at the enemy in some form or another (stream, ball, disc, etc). Because that air was converted from gas to plasma, it's still capable of being further converted. If we relax the electric potential, we can turn the Ki ball into a fireball similar to Vegeta's attack in the Saiyan Saga which looked like fireballs instead of regular Ki blasts and took off part of Goku's Gi.

So that's Ki conversion. Controlling the exact state of our Ki attacks making them range from fire, plasma, or a more lightning-like (which is the most difficult to control and utilize effectively due to how wild and naturally uncontrollable lightning actually is).

And as noted, Nolan's conversion of Kinetic energy to an external energy-based attack is another form of this kind of conversion. In Nolan's case he's converting the energy generated upon impact with his body and guiding through some sort of specialized pathway to a container within himself where it's being stored and given a charge which superheats it and converts it into a plasma-based form before being unleashed when he's ready. It's all really scientific and physics-ish. And I'm no physicist so I can't really explain any further what the specifics are. But that's the general gist of what's happening in Nolan's case. He's not really absorbing energy. He's converting it. And that's why he still takes damage from the hits.

So yeah... That's my sleepy brain's explanation for that stuff. 😅
O.O holy cow, if that’s your sleepy brain explaination then we need to get you extrapolating plots in movies or something because that’s pretty damn good for a sleepy brain.

Yeah, ‘androids’ in Dragon Ball are weird, considering the first ones that come to mind are technically cyborgs, and are only called Androids in the English dub (Doctor Gero’s).

Yeah, ‘androids’ in Dragon Ball are weird, considering the first ones that come to mind are technically cyborgs, and are only called Androids in the English dub (Doctor Gero’s).
Right? Technically Nolan is also a Cyborg. He would likely correct those who claim he is a Android.

Hoyo all. I have a really busy week ahead of me. Summer courses just started at the uni I work at, so I've been swamped and drained of energy. Chances are the RP won't start until either Friday or Saturday. So hopefully ya'll are okay with that.

Cheers!

Hoyo all. I have a really busy week ahead of me. Summer courses just started at the uni I work at, so I've been swamped and drained of energy. Chances are the RP won't start until either Friday or Saturday. So hopefully ya'll are okay with that.

Cheers!
Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, that reminds me I wanted to ask. What's the deal with the great ape form? I don't plan on having Mayze use it while still keeping her tail, but I'm just curious if its still a thing in tis universe or not!

Oh, that reminds me I wanted to ask. What's the deal with the great ape form? I don't plan on having Mayze use it while still keeping her tail, but I'm just curious if its still a thing in tis universe or not!

Good question.

Yes, tails are still a thing.

As far as transforming, I'm going to make a little executive decision and say that it's a voluntary/conscious thing rather than an involuntary thing.

When the Saiyan retina absorbs enough Blutz Waves from a full moon, it can trigger a transformation provided the Saiyan actively desires and triggers it. So it's completely within their control. And if Mayze doesn't know about the transformation, she can't really be expected to opt into letting it happen. Lol.

And honestly, I think this is good for a number of storytelling and character growth reasons as well.

So thanks for bringing it up!

Good question.

Yes, tails are still a thing.

As far as transforming, I'm going to make a little executive decision and say that it's a voluntary/conscious thing rather than an involuntary thing.

When the Saiyan retina absorbs enough Blutz Waves from a full moon, it can trigger a transformation provided the Saiyan actively desires and triggers it. So it's completely within their control. And if Mayze doesn't know about the transformation, she can't really be expected to opt into letting it happen. Lol.

And honestly, I think this is good for a number of storytelling and character growth reasons as well.

So thanks for bringing it up!
I like that a lot! With this in mind, I'll say that the times Mayze did transform was for survival reasons or a nightmare and such. Now she completely avoids the full moon without knowing its a willing choice.

All right peeps!

So I'm going to explain how the first post of the RP is going to be set up, and I'll try to have the post itself up by either tomorrow or Friday. Thankfully the ungodly work load from yesterday isn't nearly as bad today. So here's hoping the rest of the week is like that. XD

Anyway, here's the gist of what the intro post is going to set up:

1) Cheyanne (and any other Saiyans/alien races present) will be floating by Mars on course for Earth. Reason being is that humans have made more of a galactic footprint for themselves, and Saiyans and others have taken notice of that and are headed in to check it out. Not necessarily to fight/conquer just yet. But to scout, basically.

2) Meanwhile Earth's governments have detected the craft and the world is now starting to panic because ALIENS!! It's been a big government-kept secret for a long time. But the secret's out now. So everyone's going WTF mode and sharing social media and conspiracy theories and end of the world prophecies, etc.

So that's the gist of the intro post. When you guys reply to it you'll be free to react as you see fit for your characters given each of their unique situations and living conditions.

I believe we still have one or two people who haven't yet put profiles on the "Characters" page, so we're going to take things nice and slow after this intro post goes up so that they have time to submit characters to that page and get final approval from yours truly before we really get this thing going. So I will thank you guys in advance for your patience regarding that manner. Once everyone's characters have been submitted and approved, we'll open things up and really hit the ground running.

Okie dokie?

All right peeps!

So I'm going to explain how the first post of the RP is going to be set up, and I'll try to have the post itself up by either tomorrow or Friday. Thankfully the ungodly work load from yesterday isn't nearly as bad today. So here's hoping the rest of the week is like that. XD

Anyway, here's the gist of what the intro post is going to set up:

1) Cheyanne (and any other Saiyans/alien races present) will be floating by Mars on course for Earth. Reason being is that humans have made more of a galactic footprint for themselves, and Saiyans and others have taken notice of that and are headed in to check it out. Not necessarily to fight/conquer just yet. But to scout, basically.

2) Meanwhile Earth's governments have detected the craft and the world is now starting to panic because ALIENS!! It's been a big government-kept secret for a long time. But the secret's out now. So everyone's going WTF mode and sharing social media and conspiracy theories and end of the world prophecies, etc.

So that's the gist of the intro post. When you guys reply to it you'll be free to react as you see fit for your characters given each of their unique situations and living conditions.

I believe we still have one or two people who haven't yet put profiles on the "Characters" page, so we're going to take things nice and slow after this intro post goes up so that they have time to submit characters to that page and get final approval from yours truly before we really get this thing going. So I will thank you guys in advance for your patience regarding that manner. Once everyone's characters have been submitted and approved, we'll open things up and really hit the ground running.

Okie dokie?
Those are some Frosty beans boss man...Er Lizard.

I think Nolan is gonna find the whole situation rather amusing, first time in a while he will have not been bored, according to his cs at least.

Mayze really gonna be chilling in some tree while everyone is freaking out about alien invasions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back