Viewpoint Do you use the LGTBQ Friendly sub genre? Why or why not?

Which is fair enough but again if you have some character trait that affects your partner shouldn’t you mention it? Ex. If my character is a bigot then I would warn my roleplay partner if they told me they were making a character of color. I wouldn’t spring it on them in the roleplay as it might negatively affect their enjoyment of the story.

So therefore if your partner is expecting romance than not telling them your character is aro/ace is kind of rude. As you are making a decision that affects their plans for the roleplay.
Ah, no, absolutely agree there. If the fact is diretly relevant to the rolelplay or if it something the other character would be able to immediately perceive, it should be told to your partner no questions about it.

Still my point earlier was less about telling or not telling a partner, and moreso about having an element in your character that doesn't come up in the roleplay. I'll generally advocate for more information, not less.

I just assume any rp is open to gay characters unless it's literally a pairing 1 x 1 for a straight couple(like joker x harlquin). What person on rpn has ever rejected someone for posting a gay character? I'd be surprised to see that at all.

This definitely depends on the RP. Like, I'm a historical RPer, thus will do a lot of RP in settings/eras where being openly gay could literally get a person arrested or killed. I'm not inherently opposed to LGBT+ pairings in those settings, especially since I'm a fan of the forbidden romance trope, but the people I'm playing with do need to understand that if the RP went in that direction then the relationship is one the characters could not be open about unless my partner is okay with the characters suffering the consequences for it.

This definitely depends on the RP. Like, I'm a historical RPer, thus will do a lot of RP in settings/eras where being openly gay could literally get a person arrested or killed. I'm not inherently opposed to LGBT+ pairings in those settings, especially since I'm a fan of the forbidden romance trope, but the people I'm playing with do need to understand that if the RP went in that direction then the relationship is one the characters could not be open about unless my partner is okay with the characters suffering the consequences for it.
So this is why people put lgbtq friendly on fantasy rps? I'm not thinking about the 1920's america or like a modern plot in pakistan(some muslim country) here. Was eluding more to the fandom, fantasy and sci fi threads.

So this is why people put lgbtq friendly on fantasy rps? I'm not thinking about the 1920's america or like a modern plot in pakistan(some muslim country) here. Was eluding more to the fandom, fantasy and sci fi threads.

Yes I know, but I'm merely pointing out that if RP's are happening settings where LGBT+ people would have to be closeted then the tag is not really appropriate.

Yes I know, but I'm merely pointing out that if RP's are happening settings where LGBT+ people would have to be closeted then the tag is not really appropriate.
So like we're warning people if the setting is nice to gay people? What about all the other tags? What if I want to do an asian plot and it's not korean or chinese friendly? (mostly joking) I get it now. It's a trigger warning or something?

So like we're warning people if the setting is nice to gay people? What about all the other tags? What if I want to do an asian plot and it's not korean or chinese friendly? (mostly joking) I get it now. It's a trigger warning or something?

I think so? I'm not 100% sure tbh. I think it's supposed to indicate LGBT+ themed RP's?

If you read this thread from the start, several people have related their experiences.
A little busy right now, but I'll be sure to note if anyone actually got discriminated against. From what I read(so far)...it's a special tag for gay people..to feel included or something. It just looks like special treatment to me.

A little busy right now, but I'll be sure to note if anyone actually got discriminated against. From what I read(so far)...it's a special tag for gay people..to feel included or something. It just looks like special treatment to me.
So this thread was started by OP to get an idea of why people did or didn't use the tag, and what became apparent through people's answers was that it actually varied a whole bunch because no one could agree on what it meant or what it was for, leading the admins to keep an eye on the thread and consider possible changes to the tag itself.
I'm pretty sure the consensus that was eventually come to was that the tag should be used only for RPs where LGBTQ+ characters/relationships/issues are a major focus of the RP, and that LGBTQ+ players/characters are assumed to be welcome everywhere on the site.
That being said, players and characters have been discriminated against on this basis (again, see other posts in this thread), and so many feel that the tag is a reassuring way to indicate that an RP will be a welcoming and safe space for them.
Mostly, the trick has been wanting to have a universal way to distinguish between RPs that will be welcoming to such characters/relationships/issues and RPs that will be focused on them.

Last edited:
Are we able to get more tags to make more people feel safe?
I think the consensus reached was just to rename the tag to make it clear it's to be used only for LGBTQ+ focused RPs, and to assume all characters are accepted everywhere unless specified otherwise (and all players should be accepted everywhere, period).

I think the consensus reached was just to rename the tag to make it clear it's to be used only for LGBTQ+ focused RPs, and to assume all characters are accepted everywhere unless specified otherwise (and all players should be accepted everywhere, period).
What if people of color don't feel safe making a hispanic, native american or african american centered rp?

What if people of color don't feel safe making a hispanic, native american or african american centered rp?
Then there should definitely be a discussion about that.
I suggested making a site-wide announcement/reminder and to emphasize this stuff more clearly in the site rules, but the admins told us they were convinced no one reads those things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back