Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

I'm female in real life but I tend to make and roleplay male characters more often. On occasion I make a female character but I think male personalities have a farther range depending on their interests and stuff, which makes them more fun for me!

I'm a guy but usually have a relatively even split between male and female characters, though sometimes leaning more towards female characters. Funnily enough I think the opposite of the above and think female personalities have an easier range to work something new with. I suppose part of it is also having that difference to separate myself from the character and make myself think from their perspective.

I'm a woman, but I almost always play male characters. I just prefer it and find it more natural in a way. I don't know why.

I'm a trans woman, like others before have said it's a nice form of escapism from my body and my life. I tend to play women but sometimes I do play a different gender like men. I guess because of my experience trying to live as a man and living as a woman help me with writing both.

I ID as a woman & although I'm comfortable writing for any gender, I find myself leaning towards male or nonbinary roles more often than not. Not sure why that is or where the habit started.

I’ve tried it and like it, but I have a hard time creating connections with other characters and it feels like people try harder when there’s an opportunity for romance and that kind rubs me the wrong way

I've only had one character who was a female, but even then, they started out a backstory character for a male character, and then sort of became their own thing. I generally like to stick to male.

I'm comfortable playing either a male or female character. I've just had a lot of practice with both over the years.

As I'm gay, I just overall prefer playing a male character, but I have been known for playing female roles if needed, like as a secondary character. I just prefer playing male, if it was up to me.

I tend to play female characters, if only because I often cover personalities or archetypes that aren't seen in the same light for male characters.

For example, a child-like woman is seen as good and pure, but a child-like man is seen as weird and creepy.

I have yet to encounter anyone who thought my female characters were Mary Sues, or had flat personalities. I haven't had anyone come up to me for romance, even.

Last edited:
I've always been kind of shy about playing the opposite gender, just because I wasn't sure if I'd do it right. But lately I've been playing males a lot and haven't had any complaints. :P And I'm enjoying it tremendously. I don't know if I would say I prefer it, but maybe.:P I think it's more fun in a way, maybe because it's a challenge? And the sort of personalities I end up playing are just fun characters in general.

i love playing as a girl in fack i love it so much i changed my gender in the real world -w-

I'm open to playing both male and female, and have characters for both! I don't perfer one over the other, but female is easier for me because, well, I am female ^^

For a while, I usually just played female characters since I'm female and I'm pretty used to that. But since I like writing stories with multiple perspectives, I started to take on more and more roles as a male character. There was actually a time when I was making more male characters than female XD For some reason, I'm better at playing flirty characters when they're male??? Haha.

Now I try to keep it pretty balanced, if only because I like playing multiple characters and therefore like to keep the sexes/genders of my characters balanced.

First of all, gender isn't real.

but to answer the question, I like to be masculine characters a lot because irl I'm a hetero-flexible cis gender female and loves mermaids and unicorns and rainbows and pink. It's nice to play something totally different.

Honesty it 100% depends on the mood of the campaign and character chemistry. I love developing fully complete characters.

My current Pathfinder character is a female gnome witch.

As far as books go, I love reading about strong female protagonists (or even antagonist or anti-heros).

I usually play female characters because I am one myself, but as of lately, I've been trying my best to try out more male characters!

I find that I have a lot more fun writing as the opposite gender. It allows me to experience life from an entirely different perspective, in situations that I'll most likely never be in myself.

I always played a male. I never have done a female that wasn't an NPC, though I am opened to the idea.

I play either, usually I choose based on what has the least in the rp. Hell sometimes I flip my character after being done with them if the balance is off. All those pronouns are a lot to catch lol. Usually very little needs to change personality and background wise when I do as it's one in fifty times I'll specifically code my characters as having been heavily gender role socialized.

I play both genders, but there are moments where I prefer to play one gender for a generous amount of time. It really all depends on my mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back