• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

DnD 5e Anyone?

I see... I worry it may be TO streamlined for me... Whelp may aswell try.

Possibly... though I will admit, it's now my go to version of DnD for running a first game for someone. Mostly because I can confidently say, "You'll make the character, I'm just here to help you if you need". Try doing that in 3.5 and the newbie flees from the bagilions of possible first level characters.

I can see it as an easy system for newer folk to get into, 3.5 is a whole new beast entirely... a rowdy one at that.

@Orikanyo - from what I understand, it's a mix of 3.5 creativity and 4e accessibility.

The problem with 3.5 is, yes, it's difficult for new players to get into. I mean it was originally 3e and it had so many rules and exceptions added that it turned into 3.5. And 3.5 followed the same convulted path.

4e was apparently too simple and cut out too many parts of 3.5. I haven't played it but that's what I hear. There's a bit of a reputation battle between 3.5 vets and 4e fans.

5e is meant to cut away all the "This is a rule except for these 5 exceptions" stuff. It lays out the rules, the classes but still allows for creativity.

I'm looking forward to seeing if it delivers. (Would still like to know any context relevant for character creation).

So far I've looked through the core rule book and... While it is simply the core rulebook, it was like eatting spaghetti with no sauce, 4 classes felt... well... felt like it maybe abit TO cut down, Great deal of homebrew already out there though, but homebrew is hit and miss with folks, some avoid it like the plague, some pick and choose from it, others embrace it all, kinda like 3rd party stuff from pathfinder, but that is legitimate due to the company's thumbs up was given to it.

I think you're looking at the Basic Rules, the Player's Handbook has something like 12 different classes. The Basic Rules are sort of the free set that gives you everything you need to draw someone into the game, and the Player's Handbook costs money and gives you more races and classes to play as.

Orikanyo said:
So far I've looked through the core rule book and... While it is simply the core rulebook, it was like eatting spaghetti with no sauce, 4 classes felt... well... felt like it maybe abit TO cut down, Great deal of homebrew already out there though, but homebrew is hit and miss with folks, some avoid it like the plague, some pick and choose from it, others embrace it all, kinda like 3rd party stuff from pathfinder, but that is legitimate due to the company's thumbs up was given to it.
Ah, yes, see - they can't give everything away for free ( :P )

The actual Player's Handbook has 12 classes (basically all the basic classes from 3.5) & it has nine races to boot. The free core rulebook is just that - the very basic core that can get you going. If you want the proper experience you, understandably, have to pay them for their time and effort or be savvy at finding things on the internet.

*shifty eyes* oh my what is this? It seems that I have already procured said book, what a wonderous occasion, I shall be looking over it immediately.

Orikanyo said:
*shifty eyes* oh my what is this? It seems that I have already procured said book, what a wonderous occasion, I shall be looking over it immediately.
It's so wonderful that you managed to completely legitimately purchase and obtain the book so fast! Hope you enjoy reading your new, legitimate book ( ;) )

so, what are people thinkin they will be?

Well, I'm going Half-Orc Barbarian, with either the Outlander or Gladiator background, depending on party make up.

I'm making a Minotaur Warlock. Never played one before, and the only 5e game I played only got one encounter in, so I have no idea how this will turn out.

minotaur? What book is that from? had a mind to make a straight up human fighter, make him so mundane and m\normal hes unique.

@Orikanyo, @Jaye , @GinjaGen you all can certainly join (^U^) that'll put us at the right amount of players to actually start this party!

Jaye said:
(If I'm not too late) I'd love to jump in on this. I've played a fair amount of DnD3.5 but I haven't managed to jump into 5e yet. I'd love some experience in it.
Is there any context I should be aware of for designing a character or should I just jump in feet first and get creative? (Ie. Should I be aiming for certain alignments? Is there a certain town or city or region or something that we're starting in? idk just any context for character creation.)
No real context to build off of make what you want and I'll figure out a way to bring everyone together, there's always the whole "you all just so happen to be in the same tavern at the same time and a fight breaks out (with a minotaur)" ( ;) ) haha

heres the link to the thread: Casual - DnD 5e "Wings of Chaos" | RpNation.com - Best Roleplay Forum

Awesome! I'll get working on my character. Quick question: What races are you limiting the choices to (if any)?

How different is 5e from 3e? Would playing 3e mean I know how to play 5e? Sorry for the confusion. :)

well I have never played 3e but from what I hear about it, it is quite different. 5e is much easier and streamlined compared to previous editions.

i would be willing to play a female underage half-elf sorcerer with a nature themed spell selection who traces her lineage back to nymphs. mostly the elements. more of a self taught shaman from the city built using the sorcerer chassis than a proper sorcerer. probably has the urchin background and a few medicinal skills..

Umbrie said:
i would be willing to play a female underage half-elf sorcerer with a nature themed spell selection who traces her lineage back to nymphs. mostly the elements. more of a self taught shaman from the city built using the sorcerer chassis than a proper sorcerer. probably has the urchin background and a few medicinal skills..
Woo, another Urchin~!

If you want to join, we're over here. We've started, but we're barely into it at all really so you still have time to throw a character sheet in.

okies. i will work on that half elf sorcerer urchin with medicinal skill. give me a matter of hours. is it okay if i type up the doc on excel?

Umbrie said:
okies. i will work on that half elf sorcerer urchin with medicinal skill. give me a matter of hours. is it okay if i type up the doc on excel?
I'm not the GM, but as long as you fill out all the relevant stuff from the 5e CS and can link/upload a readable version to the Character Sign-Up, then that should be fine.

(Also there's an OOC section in the thread - you may wanna take your chatter there (:3) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back