• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"Yeah, I said that. It's pretty cool, honest. The way it...coils up!"
"You couldn't be more right!"

Suddenly performing a handstand, Tyrian's tail coiled up.

"Through rigorous training of my core, I've obtained great abdominal strength! However, in order to keep my tail strong and swift, I've trained it just as much!"

Hopping back onto his feet, Tyrian smiled with an eager look in his eyes! "Please! Tell me, what is your world's version of me like? Can he hold his own in a fight?"

"Spare me." She cut across dismissively, having started coming to terms with the fact that Xiao Long was genuinely just this annoying. It didn't make her hate her any less, but she was confident it meant their interactions could be a bit less volatile provided the wrong buttons weren't pushed. That didn't stop her giving a vexed snarl and momentarily tightening her weapon's grip when the blonde started talking with that stupid irreverent grin on her face, but she distracted herself by turning her gaze to coolly return Raven's stare the moment she picked up on it, and both jaw and clenched fist slowly loosened.
"You sure?" She couldn't help but cut in with the most annoying, self indulgent smirk she could muster as she side eyed Eve. "I could give you pointers to go with the definition. Maybe even you could make a friend. At least one. There's gotta be someone out there with bad enough taste."

"'Or else It'll end the same way'. I almost didn't think anything of it... But then I did. I know a threat when I hear one."

The way she practically spat the word 'threat' from her mouth spoke volumes as to how many she'd received in her lifetime.

"It struck me as an interesting choice of words. See, I made your uncle tell me all about this vendetta you have against me before I let him anywhere near Ozpin's rabid animal. And he did. Down to the last detail."

Summarized, but that was besides the point. Eve's mask turned back towards her again, and she had that same spiteful, know-better drawl to her voice Yang had last heard before things turned against her at the battle for Beacon, cocky and overbearing in its presence.

"Except he never talked about you and I meeting again after Beacon. Which means either he was lying to me, you know something he doesn't... Or your threat was empty."

The condescending, mocking way she delivered that last option gave Yang no illusions as to which of the three was Eve's personal favorite.

"Thought I'd give you the opportunity to clear that up."

"..." the smirk dropped in favor of a quiet snarl as Yang glared ahead of her, giving up on annoying Eve into shoving off. She kind of figured that uncle Qrow had passed that along given the earlier brief exchange between him and Eve. She couldn't even be mad at him for it; Not when it was payment for making sure this world's Ruby was both safe and not in a position to hurt anybody.

But every single word out of this chick's mouth rubbed her the wrong way. It was seriously messed up that a voice two octaves higher could sound so much like that asshole, but it just reaffirmed that this was Adam Taurus. The same self aggrandizing, overconfident, obsessive jackass, except now Yang was stuck working alongside her. She once again questioned how Blake ever felt something for this tool. She was so glad this one was about as good at letting something go as the first one was.

...but as much as she seriously, genuinely wanted to just coldcock this girl and leave her behind, she had enough self control to recognize that wouldn't help anyone; She doubted the White Fang would be as keen to keep helping the kingdoms if their drama general had a grudge against Salem's finest, and knowing Taurus as intimately as she wished she didn't, unless Yang literally killed her, she'd just show up the next day. Angrier, and probably somehow even more annoying.

"... Yeeep. You caught me. Empty threat. Nothing to it. I know happy's not like, a setting for you, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the ego boost anyways, general."

"Please! Tell me, what is your world's version of me like? Can he hold his own in a fight?"

fb6a4fde2045074e96a8be066f733a3a3416f2dc.png

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

"......" His hand on her shoulder caught her attention for the briefest of moments that it was there, her red eyes shifting to meet Qrow's then glanced back towards Yang before she relented, releasing her grip and accepting that Yang did indeed have it, resuming her stride to keep pace with Qrow. After a couple seconds of silence, Raven spoke up. "So...I take it the other me wasn't all that bad. Once upon a time, at least." She thumbed back over in the direction of the camp.

"Mine too. He wasn't always like that. Well, not in the ways that matter most. He was every bit the drunkard, but back then at least he cared for more than just that. He was more than a bitter shell of a man, hiding away in the wilderness, preying on the weak and drinking away his days." Her eyes narrowed slightly as she looked over at Qrow, not so much in an aggressive manner, but more trying to get a handle on him. "I also know my brother. You may not be him, exactly, but I can tell the difference from a man actually drinking his weight in alcohol, and someone pretending to."

She raised an eyebrow, expression every bit as questioning as the next word that came out of her mouth. "Why?"

A more somber demeanor settled over Qrow as he was informed of all the aspects of his other self he was trying not to think about, the notion that it probably hadn't always been this way. At some point, if you went far back enough you'd probably come to a time when the two of them were the same person, completely indistinguishable in every way. He was gonna try not to think about that.

Raven, though? Her he could talk about.

"Familiar story. My sister... Drew some conclusions about the world, about what we were doing. Went down a path I didn't like; Couldn't follow. Can't say I understand the person she's turned into. I didn't even know she was the Spring Maiden until after the vault was opened."

It was difficult to spot regret in a man so utterly submerged in it, but this topic had a certain special way of drawing it out of him. He didn't react much as she called him out on the act, guessing he should've figured as he offered a light snort and looked down at the flask in his hand.

"...It's thirsty, all this walking around. I happen to like drinking water whenever I want." :|

He harbored no illusions as to whether that crock would actually work, and started over in reaction to whatever look Raven gave him.

"...Hnh. I'll give it straight, then. Oz—our Oz—never told us Salem couldn't die. And I don't mean the way your Ozpin reincarnates; She doesn't die, ever. Can't be killed. Can't be stopped. After we found that out for ourselves, I fell down a hole. Ozpin never had a plan, and we were never his chosen few... He was just using us to buy some time. Kept wondering how many people just like us thought they were the heroes of the story, just like us. They probably kept believing it right up until the day he sent 'em out to die."

His eyes were hard and distant as he turned them up from the flask, slipping it back into his pocket.

"...I pulled myself together, thanks to Ruby. It is what it is. The war goes on. But I'm never putting my faith in someone who acts like they hold all the answers again. Salem—your Salem—" God that was annoying. "—She's exactly the same. And I don't trust her. I keep thinking, all those years Ozpin probably saw me as a drunken idiot, the perfect pawn to jerk around. Don't blame him; that's exactly what I was. Except... Now I'm not. If coming off as one means I get taken for a fool, that's just an advantage I'm happy to leave in my pocket."

"You sure?" She couldn't help but cut in with the most annoying, self indulgent smirk she could muster as she side eyed Eve. "I could give you pointers to go with the definition. Maybe even you could make a friend. At least one. There's gotta be someone out there with bad enough taste."

"There was."

Those words were more for herself than for Yang, a quieter, more pensive air to them as her mind again started down the path of tearing apart every little interaction and word exchanged between her and Blake, trying to figure out what had happened. She huffed and picked her eyes back up from where they were drifting off towards the undergrowth. No. She couldn't right now.

"..." the smirk dropped in favor of a quiet snarl as Yang glared ahead of her, giving up on annoying Eve into shoving off. She kind of figured that uncle Qrow had passed that along given the earlier brief exchange between him and Eve. She couldn't even be mad at him for it; Not when it was payment for making sure this world's Ruby was both safe and not in a position to hurt anybody.

But every single word out of this chick's mouth rubbed her the wrong way. It was seriously messed up that a voice two octaves higher could sound so much like that asshole, but it just reaffirmed that this was Adam Taurus. The same self aggrandizing, overconfident, obsessive jackass, except now Yang was stuck working alongside her. She once again questioned how Blake ever felt something for this tool. She was so glad this one was about as good at letting something go as the first one was.

...but as much as she seriously, genuinely wanted to just coldcock this girl and leave her behind, she had enough self control to recognize that wouldn't help anyone; She doubted the White Fang would be as keen to keep helping the kingdoms if their drama general had a grudge against Salem's finest, and knowing Taurus as intimately as she wished she didn't, unless Yang literally killed her, she'd just show up the next day. Angrier, and probably somehow even more annoying.

"... Yeeep. You caught me. Empty threat. Nothing to it. I know happy's not like, a setting for you, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the ego boost anyways, general."

"...Heh. You're wrong. You can't imagine how happy those words just made me."

That answer appealed to Yang's image of Adam Taurus in all the right ways, and Eve certainly didn't give her a reason to cast doubt on that image. The faunus snorted to herself in amused satisfaction, ego clearly extremely boosted as she took pride in getting Yang to say words that were so very obviously contrary to the entire core of her being, to the way she led her existence.

"Ever hear the expression 'a faunus can smell when you're lying'?"

That didn't mean she bought it for a second.

Eve's posture was relaxing, a spiteful gratification drawn in being able to take back the power in her dealings with the blonde, in not feeling weak and impotent whenever she was in the room or crossed her thoughts the way she had since the night at Beacon. She kept her eyes scanning the road and treeline ahead, feigning nonchalance.

"It's a complete myth, of course. How could they? It's not like words... h-have smells."

She frowned as her intimidating speech led her into a corner and stuttered a bit, the furthest thing from an improvisational speechmaker and not really satisfied with how stupid that choice of words came out. She brushed past it with an old, reliable classic, one that got her brothers and sisters in the White Fang cheering whenever she dropped it.

"But these kingdoms were built on human lies. And I've had to get very good at catching them to survive. So you are you gonna tell me what actually happened, or should I start pulling aside relatives to ask instead?"

Last edited:
"Familiar story. My sister... Drew some conclusions about the world, about what we were doing. Went down a path I didn't like; Couldn't follow. Can't say I understand the person she's turned into. I didn't even know she was the Spring Maiden until after the vault was opened."

"Mm. Figured that much out when Yang was pointing fingers at me back in Salem's office when she was talking about needing the maiden." She didn't comment on the similar story aspect beyond a shake of the head that was almost imperceptible.​

"...It's thirsty, all this walking around. I happen to like drinking water whenever I want." :|

"You're a fool, not-little-brother, if you think your brand of sarcasm is going to deflect anything." Out of the other Raven's mouth, those words would have been far more harsh or cruel. From this one however, it was definitely more lighthearted ribbing.​

"...Hnh. I'll give it straight, then. Oz—our Oz—never told us Salem couldn't die. And I don't mean the way your Ozpin reincarnates; She doesn't die, ever. Can't be killed. Can't be stopped. After we found that out for ourselves, I fell down a hole. Ozpin never had a plan, and we were never his chosen few... He was just using us to buy some time. Kept wondering how many people just like us thought they were the heroes of the story, just like us. They probably kept believing it right up until the day he sent 'em out to die."

His eyes were hard and distant as he turned them up from the flask, slipping it back into his pocket.

"...I pulled myself together, thanks to Ruby. It is what it is. The war goes on. But I'm never putting my faith in someone who acts like they hold all the answers again. Salem—your Salem—" God that was annoying. "—She's exactly the same. And I don't trust her. I keep thinking, all those years Ozpin probably saw me as a drunken idiot, the perfect pawn to jerk around. Don't blame him; that's exactly what I was. Except... Now I'm not. If coming off as one means I get taken for a fool, that's just an advantage I'm happy to leave in my pocket."

".............Oh." Suffice it to say she didn't know how to respond to that. In fact, she wasn't sure any combination of words would ever be the 100% perfect thing to say back to that...but she couldn't just leave it a frankly pathetic sounding "oh". "That is rough, to put it lightly." Not that much better sounding. Fighting an enemy that couldn't be killed, period. Even this Oz could be slain, at least for a while. However long it took him to get back on his feet. It wasn't an ideal situation but it gave them time, plenty of it. That wasn't a luxury they had back in their world where...Salem was the evil one.

Admittedly, that was really hard to reconcile. Trying to picture the kindhearted blonde she knew as somebody who could have orchestrated some of the atrocities she'd seen out there. "I...can't say I agree, but I do understand. You have your reasons to do what you're doing, to holding back your faith and reserving your trust, after the lies your Ozpin told you, the secrets he kept. I know Salem can come across as manipulative, and that can be really understating it at times. But she means well." Raven shook her head.

"Truth comes easy when there's no cost to it. Everyone's honest when it is painless. But truth isn't always painless, and when it hurts...when it could bring panic...it's not so easy then. We just have to muddle through as best we can." Raven paused for a beat, looking over at Qrow with a briefly uncertain look. She wasn't one for hugs in any world, but she did at least reach out with a hand on his shoulder in the same way he'd done earlier. "I'm not one to judge you, and if that's what you're going for with you pretending to drink...well, your Oz isn't the only one who can keep secrets." She gave a slight grin before she paused again.

"...I'm not real great with the...personal touch. It's definitely cost me over the years. But...I know this. Whether someone helped you or not, pulling yourself out of the bottle after all that? It isn't something just anybody could do. You should be proud of yourself, brot--Qrow."

"...Heh. You're wrong. You can't imagine how happy those words just made me."

That answer appealed to Yang's image of Adam Taurus in all the right ways, and Eve certainly didn't give her a reason to cast doubt on that image. The faunus snorted to herself in amused satisfaction, ego clearly extremely boosted as she took pride in getting Yang to say words that were so very obviously contrary to the entire core of her being, to the way she led her existence.
Just because Yang was doing her best to play peacemaker in this interaction didn't mean it didn't grate on her ego. She liked to think hers didn't quite reach the heights of Adam 'try to behead my ex' Taurus, but she took a lot of pride in her skills as a fighter. Lying to someone about losing a fight, specifically lying to this someone, after she'd... after all he did... She grit her teeth and looked to the side, both her hands flexing involuntarily until she made herself cross her arms so she could grip them.

"Well, congrats. hope you choke on them."

"Ever hear the expression 'a faunus can smell when you're lying'?"
"Dude, if you sniff me I am absolutely gonna punch you. That one's not empty."
"It's a complete myth, of course. How could they? I don't think words... h-have smells."

She frowned as she stuttered a bit, the furthest thing from an improvisational speechmaker and not really satisfied with how stupid that choice of words came out. She brushed past it with an old, reliable classic, one that got her brothers and sisters in the White Fang cheering whenever she dropped it.

"But these kingdoms were built on human lies. And I've had to get very good at catching them to survive. So you wanna tell me what really happened, or should I start pulling aside relatives to ask instead?"

She couldn't help but glance back over to Eve over that little foray into wordplay, one eyebrow raised in a silent 'really?' that would've made either of the Neos proud, but whatever mileage she planned to get out of that verbal free throw was lost in the implications of Eve's next sentence. She uncrossed her arms and picked up the pace for just a brief moment so that she could get ahead of Eve and pivot to stop right in front of her, not budging if the faunus tried to brush past or knock into her.

"...Look. I don't know what you think you're gonna get out of this. But Ruby doesn't know anything, and if you ever lay a finger on my real sister, I will end you. I'll make Salem look like your sweet grandma. I will break every piece of you, You don't get to even THINK about going NEAR her, NOT YOU-"

She caught herself as the volume in her voice started to near a yell, and she let out a string of long, deep breaths that were shivering with anger and an anxious fear at whatever mental images she was playing for herself involving Adam and Ruby, her real hand subconsciously gripping her other arm.

"...Just... just stay away from her. And me."

The last words were far more muted as she turned and marched off to try and catch back up with the others.

"...I'm not real great with the...personal touch.

He snorted at that, having otherwise settled into a grim silence as he listened to his not-twin talk. "Lady, that makes two of us."

Except she was his twin though. For the most part, Qrow had been doing pretty well distancing the people he met here from the people he knew, the ones from his life. That sadder, decadent version of himself had just been like looking in a funhouse mirror. It was kinda funny. The... person he'd seen on Salem's office floor, the one he first spoke to as a prisoner of the White Fang... It just wasn't Ruby. It broke his heart just to look at her, but he had to believe that or there was no way he'd ever come to terms with it. She was... someone whose life had made her somebody else.

But this, this was Raven. She was just nicer. It was honestly really strange, but Qrow couldn't say it was unwelcome as he put his hands on his head casually, giving a somewhat disconcerted 'who, me?' look when her speech turned to talk of pride.

"Hm? Nah. Was past time I stopped actin' like such a bum, that's all. And not just for my sake."

A fonder, less Qrow-like smile played on the edges of his lips as he watched Ruby desperately making excuses to duck the not-lunatic he sicced on her, none of which really seemed to be working. Eh, in another life he rescued her from the dude. She probably owed him this.​

She couldn't help but glance back over to Eve over that little foray into wordplay, one eyebrow raised in a silent 'really?' that would've made either of the Neos proud, but whatever mileage she planned to get out of that verbal free throw was lost in the implications of Eve's next sentence. She uncrossed her arms and picked up the pace for just a brief moment so that she could get ahead of Eve and pivot to stop right in front of her, not budging if the faunus tried to brush past or knock into her.

"...Look. I don't know what you think you're gonna get out of this. But Ruby doesn't know anything, and if you ever lay a finger on my real sister, I will end you. I'll make Salem look like your sweet grandma. I will break every piece of you, You don't get to even THINK about going NEAR her, NOT YOU-"

She caught herself as the volume in her voice started to near a yell, and she let out a string of long, deep breaths that were shivering with anger and an anxious fear at whatever mental images she was playing for herself involving Adam and Ruby, her real hand subconsciously gripping her other arm.

"...Just... just stay away from her. And me."

The last words were far more muted as she turned and marched off to try and catch back up with the others.

Their push-and-pull dynamic was a strange one, as the less disaffected Yang appeared by whatever Eve was saying, the more disaffected the faunus seemed to grow in turn, the blonde no longer an impervious force of harm who could sweep right through her like a whirlwind of fists and violence and never shutting the hell up. As Eve watched the huntress spin, plant her feet, and start completely losing her cool over an implication she hadn't even actually intended to make, the White Fang commander's head was cocked warily even as she reluctantly slowed to a halt herself, grip on her weapon a bit more uncertain. This wasn't like the other times. She'd been giving Yang her monster face right from the start, the persona she used when she wanted someone to fear her, the face she reserved for her enemies. Until now, she hadn't given her a reason to doubt that choice. She attacked her, after all, at a time when Eve had simply been trying to get her to move aside. Belittled her. Taken away Blake. As far as she was concerned, the woman facing her had given her every reason to view her as the Enemy, just another bulldozing human come to shatter whatever fragile sense of agency the faunus had managed to piece back together for herself again. If humans like that had had their way, she would've stayed down in those mines, crying and burned, pathetic and oppressed. Would never have become the thing they all now feared so much.

This was something else. The blonde wasn't the great beast she came across as when she first waylaid her at Beacon, the terrifying dragon whose flames made her scars tingle and seemed to know exactly how to get in her head, how to anticipate her every move. Who, in defeating her, had shaken her confidence in a way it hadn't been since long before she became the White Fang's furious, lionized champion, made her powerless to stop something in a way she hadn't been since childhood. Was she...? Eve's head cocked further. She was...

...She was just some stupid kid, wasn't she?

The sour, begrudging sigh Eve released as Yang turned away sounded more self-directed than anything, like she was kicking herself for being so stupid. On some levels, nothing had changed; she still had every reason to dislike the person in front of her. But she couldn't wrap herself in this delusion any longer just because it was the one her rage found the most appealing. The entire world could've been at stake and she was feuding with an out-of-her-depth teenager. God.

Inwardly, the realizations currently spinning Eve's brain around were many. Outwardly, what she said next didn't change.

"So you did kill him."

The words were firm, unwavering, no effort made to disguise volume or tone for the sake of keeping Yang's secret. That said, it didn't match Yang's raise in pitch or aggression as Eve put one foot in the other and started following.

"Good."

There it was again, the voice of the monster. She couldn't deny it, her instincts still wanted Yang to be her enemy. To be someone she could kill someday and not have to feel bad about it. The anger and hatred that had defined her since childhood wanted blood, and no matter how she refused to act on them she was long past the point of taming those desires. It was all she could do not to be consumed by them. She drew in a deep breath, venting those feelings through her nostrils for now.

"He... I... took something from you. And I'm not talking about this." The grip on Yang's prosthetic was sudden, tight, and unrelenting as she jerked it up to eye level for demonstration, and with as clearly as she was forcing herself to think in this moment Eve was more than prepared to avoid any swing or other retaliation Yang sought to visit, at least until she made her point.

"You were able to take it back. Not everyone gets that."

As if to illustrate, she slowly brought up her free hand to the same level, and even with the thick gloves she wore it was obvious the tremors gripping it were as severe as Yang's had been at their worst. Her jaw was tight, but somehow the hostile intent in her bearing was nonexistent in stark contrast to her usual presentation as she let her grip fall away, making no move to retaliate even if Yang's reprisal was more than just verbal. If such was the case, she just picked herself back off the ground with the poise of someone who had plenty of experience being there, and her tone was bitter in an entirely different light to the prior instances Yang could recall as she turned and stalked towards the treeline with an air that was practically envious.

"I suggest you never let anyone take it away from you again."

Last edited:

Well, Nurse Jerk was obviously not gonna be of much help. On top of that she didn't think she'd be able to make a break for it if she tried running. Salem was a witch, not stupid.

"UGGGGHhhh..."

Wasn't much for her to do. She didn't really 'get' the idea of free time. Not ever since she met him anyway. There was continuing his-their goals and sleep. What if she couldn't get out of here? What if Yang and her other came back and told her all about how they'd killed Ozpin: killed her friend. They'd probably just toss her in a cell and leave her to rot. Who would come to see her?

Not her dad. She was fine with not seeing him again anyway.

Not her mom....for obvious reasons.

And not...

Ruby let that one go. Wasn't worth getting herself upset over. Not infront of this nurse.

The only place she could truly escape life and t's problems were in dreams. Snuggling up as best as she could given her restraints, she closed her eyes. Soon, she was off to sleep. It'd been the same dream for years. Ozpin had won and the world was a better place. People were happy and there'd be no more fighting. No more pain for others to have to go through like she had. Plus, Blake and Weiss actually liked her in her dreams! The setting was Ozpin's fortress and Ruby gave a wave to the masked Shadow Fang operative, beckoning her to wait up. As Blake did so, Ruby scooped her up into a hug.

"Blake! I'm so glad to see you! I had the most terrible dream! There were other versions of me and they stopped us and kept me strapped to a bed and and -"

Blake held a finger to Ruby's lips.

"Ruby?"

"Mmm?"

"I'm going to take my finger off your lips and I want you to calmly tell me what you need to tell me. Okay?"

"Mmm!"

Blake pulled her finger back.

"....*INHALE*...I had a dream where there were two of me and-"

The two eventually entered the council room where Weiss and Ozzpin were waiting for them. "Weeeeeisssss!!~" Practically leaping at the CEO, she let out a 'wee!' as a glyph bounced her into the air. With her final destinatioon being Weiss's lap. "I missed you.~"

Weiss glared and Ruby started to wilt.

"Just kidding, I missed you too." Ruffling Ruby's hair, Ruby looked at the hat adorning her friend's head.

"Can I-"

"No."

"But you haven't even-"

"No."

"Stop sayin-"

"No?"

"Yes!"

"....No."

Ruby grumbled and was prepared to hop back onto her feet before Weis promptly set the hat atop her head. "That's a ceremonial hat, so do be careful not to wreck it." At this point, Ruby scoffed. 'This has to be a dream. No way Weiss would ever let me wear her hat. ...Unless I stole it.' Just then, Ozpin audibly cleared his throat and gestured to the seats. "As you know times have been tough since losing-"

"Jaune, Ren, Nora, and Pyrrha!"

"Excellent memory skills, Ruby! Yes...I'm afraid they were too weak to join us."

'Poor guys. I knew it. Everyone knew it.'

"But...despite the setbacks, I am glad to inform our plans have been achieved!"

"Hooray!" Weiss, Ruby, and Blake all cheered in unison.

"Now, if some of us can take a seat, I can continue on what this'll mean going forward."

"Ruby. Weiss's lap is not a seat."

"Oh. Sorry..." Ruby quietly took a seat next to Weiss. But then she noticed something was off!

"Wait, Ozpin! Yang's not here!"

"Yang?? The greatest sister in the world?? Why, surely we can't continue without her-"

*BOOM*

The doors were kicked open as Yang walked in, full of swagger.

"Heh, heard my name and Oz is right. It just ain't a party without me." Slipping into a seat next to Ruby, she gently rustled her younger sister's hair. "Hehehe!~ O-Okay, best buddy! Everyone's here, you can go ahead and tell us what you were going to say!" At the 'okk' to go ahead ,Ozpin cleared his throat. "Well, although our dreams have gone off without a hitch, there are still some who refuse to believe that what we do is not only good for us but for everyone! They are the remnants of the White Fang." Weiss's eyes narrowed at that. "Faunus." The disgust with which she said that one word made Ruby cringe. It also made Blake's ears twitch. "That being said, Weiss has come up with a plan to 'deal' with the White Fang. Weiss, if you will." Weiss turned to smile at Ruby and rose to her feet.

"I think you'll love this, Ruby.~"

One of the Grimm that Ozpin used to send messages through floated beside Weiss and the images conjured up in it's dome took only Ruby for a shock. It was her, the one who'd captured and interrogated her. When they'd first met, it was dark out and Ruby was struggling not to pass out from blood loss. But those facial scars would stick in her mind forever. Tapping Myrentstar like a stylus to the Grimm, Weiss started. "We believe that the remains of the White Fang are being lead by this one individual. We believe her name to be Eve Taurus. From what you can see, she has prior experience with the Schnees. Seems we weren't thorough enough."

Ruby felt a growing disgust in her stomach after that comment.

"My plan is for Blake(hey!) and Yang to act as the decoys allowing Ruby and I to sneak into camp to kill Eve before she has a chance to fight back. Any faunus who continue to resist will be branded and exterminated. Any questions-"

"That's awful! How are we going to make the world a better place if we treat the faunus like animals!? I...I know this woman! She captured me and scared me but she never laid a finger on me! She deserves a better death than some sneak attack! Maybe we can-"

"Sorry sis, Weiss made her call. The bull's gotta go."

Ruby turned to Blake in desperation. "Blake, surely you can't agree with this-"

"Oh, no."

"Phew. I thought I was going crazy-"

"I LOVE it. If any faunus stand in the way of our dreams then they deserve death. You're an idiot for thinking otherwise, Masque."

'Idiot? Now, it was starting to feel more like reality..'

"...Ozpin, please?" Ruby jumped from her seat and knelt down at her best friend's feet, hands clasped together as she looked into his eyes. "You can't let Weiss do this.." Ozpin smiled and reaching out to gently push aside a stray bang out of Ruby's face, he shook his head. "Don't you see the beauty of it, Ruby? Those who stood against us will live long enough to realize what a mistake they've made and then it'll be over. Their lives snuffed out like the dimmest flame. Your plan is a thing of sheer beauty, Weiss."

"Thank you, my dear friend. I'm not surprised a thug like the Masque fails to see the complexities of-"

"There's nothing complex about it! You just want to kill people!!"

"And what do you do?"

"Yeah, sis. Are you any better? Really?"

"No. No, I don't think she is."

"...Indeed. Ruby, I'm afraid your services are no longer required. Weiss will fill your role nicely.~"

"No...No! No!!!"

"no...no...NO!" Ruby woke up in another cold sweat and slammed her head down on the pillow.

Why? Why were her dreams always like this??

...She had to get out of here and stop Weiss. Before she went too far...

Somehow.

"...sorry for the noise."

Hm? Nah. Was past time I stopped actin' like such a bum, that's all. And not just for my sake."

A fonder, less Qrow-like smile played on the edges of his lips as he watched Ruby desperately making excuses to duck the not-lunatic he sicced on her, none of which really seemed to be working. Eh, in another life he rescued her from the dude. She probably owed him this.

"Hmm." Raven glanced between them, smile not quite leaving her face but something else seeming to be on her mind before she managed to shake it off. "Guess so. She's lucky to have you, you know." She left it at that before her focus returned to the trek ahead.​

"You couldn't be more right!"

Suddenly performing a handstand, Tyrian's tail coiled up.

"Through rigorous training of my core, I've obtained great abdominal strength! However, in order to keep my tail strong and swift, I've trained it just as much!"

Hopping back onto his feet, Tyrian smiled with an eager look in his eyes! "Please! Tell me, what is your world's version of me like? Can he hold his own in a fight?"

By now she had managed to get her internal panic into a better and more manageable state, and it was a deep breath that Ruby gave this Tyrian a thumbs up on the depths of his clearly rigorous training. All the effort had not been wasted, that much was certain. As for his question...

"He's...um...fast? Loves to laugh...can kick some serious butt..." ...like mine, team RNJR's...is a crazy faunus who works for the immortal grimm lord....

He squinted.

And accepted that she probably didn't want to deal with the mess that was Team WTCH and MTEN.

That was the only rational conclusion possible to arrive at he thought.

He offered a placating nod and resumed attempting to replicate Ruby's feat with the dragon but instead with Mercury and Emerald.

"Hey Hazel! Or anybody really...I have a question." Cinder interrupted that frankly terrifyingly intimidating stare coming from that mountain of a teenager. Seriously he could probably be carrying the rest of team WTCH and even all of MTEN on his shoulders and not even be fazed by the effort. "...Huh there's a thought..." She shook her head, hastily correcting herself. "Scratch that, I have TWO questions."

"He's...um...fast? Loves to laugh...can kick some serious butt..." ...like mine, team RNJR's...is a crazy faunus who works for the immortal grimm lord....
"Wow..."

tenor.gif

Tyrian spontaneously performed a backflip before landing with ease. "Fast....Yes, yes that's accurate!" Tyrian took a couple of quick jabs at the air. "Loves to laugh...Mmm...dunno about that." Despite his upbeat demeanor, Tyrian only really laughed during the heat of battle. His way of coping and keeping his less than savory 'urges' from poking their heads out as he fought.

"Kick some serious butt..? Of course! Oh Ruby, you've uplifted my mood more than I imagined! You are certainly one of a k-well.." Tyrian paused. "Two of a kind. But if there's anything I can tell about anyone at first sight, it's how skilled they are and you are skilled!"
Or anybody really...I have a question."
Tyrian held up his tail. "Excuse me."

Making his way over to his leader, Tyrian quirked his head to the side.

"What's on your mind, Cinder?"

A bit earlier...

WDeY8Cw.png

Maybe I was too hasty to agree. Even just walking with these people is a headache and a half. Too late now though.

Any attempt to ditch these people wasn't going to go unnoticed. She'd just end up with roughly a dozen people in pursuit if she tried. Instead she simply slowed her pace down as she went, aiming to get closer to the back of the group and thus better overhear Yang and that punk going at it.​

Last edited:
Tyrian held up his tail. "Excuse me."

Making his way over to his leader, Tyrian quirked his head to the side.

"What's on your mind, Cinder?"

Ruby absolutely seized her chance the moment he was walking away to burst forward in a hail of roses to get up to the front where Raven and Qrow were so she could halfheartedly tackle the latter, though not enough that he'd be forced off his feet. "I can't believe you did that, Uncle Qrow."

Cinder, in the meantime, leaned over closer to Tyrian and in a conspiratorial whisper revealed her first question:

"What's going on with Emerald I'm really confused."

Cinder, in the meantime, leaned over closer to Tyrian and in a conspiratorial whisper revealed her first question:

"What's going on with Emerald I'm really confused."
tumblr_p35781TmOI1vk326lo5_250.gifv

Tyrian grinned and wrapped his tail around Cinder's waist to pull her in close as he whispered back.

"Hehehe!~ It's plain as rain to anyone, you see! Emerald likes you!~"

Truth be told, Tyrian didn't know that for a fact. Things such as romances, crushes, infatuations, mattered little to him. All that existed were those he cared about and the heat of battle. The synchronous nature of sweat and blood! That was what got him going! Oh yes!-

"Ahem. Indeed, she thinks you're number one, my young friend!" Tyrian praised with a small boop to the nose to cap it off.

"Of course, it all makes sense. You're awesome, Cinder!"

But now that he had answered one question, he had one of his own.

"Cinder? Do you think you could score me a spar with that other maiden? She looks like she knows a thing or two about combat!"

Tyrian grinned and wrapped his tail around Cinder's waist to pull her in close as he whispered back.

"Whuh??" A shocked Cinder spat out some weird amalgamation of the words what and huh, so taken aback by getting yanked in like that. Good lord this thing is too freaking cold--​

"Hehehe!~ It's plain as rain to anyone, you see! Emerald likes you!~"

Truth be told, Tyrian didn't know that for a fact. Things such as romances, crushes, infatuations, mattered little to him. All that existed were those he cared about and the heat of battle. The synchronous nature of sweat and blood! That was what got him going! Oh yes!-

"Ahem. Indeed, she thinks you're number one, my young friend!" Tyrian praised with a small boop to the nose to cap it off.

".........................................HUH?!" If Cinder had been taken aback just then, the feeling right now was that magnified to a much higher degree. At least a thousand percent more embarrassing and confusing!

yTXhAwJ.png

She was, as her partner Arthur Watts likely would have found very relieving and equally amusing and maybe a little demeaning for their team as a whole, completely speechless. Not even that boop on the nose or Tyrian's compliment was enough to rouse Cinder from her near frozen panicked catatonic stupor.

She wasn't even walking forward any more.
But now that he had answered one question, he had one of his own.

"Cinder? Do you think you could score me a spar with that other maiden? She looks like she knows a thing or two about combat!"

Cinder.exe has stopped working.​

".........................................HUH?!" If Cinder had been taken aback just then, the feeling right now was that magnified to a much higher degree. At least a thousand percent more embarrassing and confusing!

yTXhAwJ.png

She was, as her partner Arthur Watts likely would have found very relieving and equally amusing and maybe a little demeaning for their team as a whole, completely speechless. Not even that boop on the nose or Tyrian's compliment was enough to rouse Cinder from her near frozen panicked catatonic stupor.

She wasn't even walking forward any more.

"Cinder...?"

Tyrian gave Cinder a couple of pokes.

"Ohohoho, oh dear, I do believe I've broken her..."

At this point Vernal was close enough to Yang that a quick swivel around brought her face to face with the blonde. "Hey, need to ask you something." She demanded more than asked and didn't mince words, preferring to get right to it. "Been trying to hide it but something's been bothering me pretty fierce. Earlier, you said that all this...it ends with me dying. If you're really from the future, then you can tell me, right? How it happens? I'd really like to not fucking die. Not this soon."

Emerald had vanished like a thief in the night when Hazel started giving them the eyes this go around, but Mercury's ego had him clashing against the intimidating glare with an unfazed squint this whole time. The bigger they were the more they bled, etc.

When the topic shifted to Emerald, though, Merc had conveniently evaporated as well, a broken-dot cartoon outline practically visible around the spot he'd been occupying just a second ago.

At this point Vernal was close enough to Yang that a quick swivel around brought her face to face with the blonde. "Hey, need to ask you something." She demanded more than asked and didn't mince words, preferring to get right to it. "Been trying to hide it but something's been bothering me pretty fierce. Earlier, you said that all this...it ends with me dying. If you're really from the future, then you can tell me, right? How it happens? I'd really like to not fucking die. Not this soon."

"She can't. It'll rip her dimension apart if you don't die." The murderer's son informed helpfully, also dropping by. He tossed his empty soda cup into a nearby bush without a thought for the environment and glanced around. "Yeesh. This whole taking-up-the-rearguard setup's good when you need to hide out from those other losers, but it's starting to get a little crowded, dontcha think?"

From behind him, Emerald leaned her head out with an embarrassed laugh and exceedingly sheepish wave.​

Last edited:
"Hmm." Raven glanced between them, smile not quite leaving her face but something else seeming to be on her mind before she managed to shake it off. "Guess so. She's lucky to have you, you know." She left it at that before her focus returned to the trek ahead.

"That's not how it goes," he found himself answering with a hint of sadness, but he left it at that. His eyes flicked back over to see how she was doing with the crazy kid now. Huh. He was gone. And she was coming right for him-

Ruby absolutely seized her chance the moment he was walking away to burst forward in a hail of roses to get up to the front where Raven and Qrow were so she could halfheartedly tackle the latter, though not enough that he'd be forced off his feet. "I can't believe you did that, Uncle Qrow."

tumblr_nxwiruMpyR1rktwn6o2_400.gifv

Qrow lifted his arm as casually and effortlessly as if Ruby were an artificial construct made of feathers and pure sucrose, somehow doubting he was ever in any danger of losing his footing. :|

"What, pipsqueak?" He blinked innocently in the face of the accusation, playing the ignorance card. He knew as well as Ruby probably did that the mischievous smirk on his face was a dead giveaway, though. "Is it something to do with that guy I got poisoned saving your skinny butt from, and spent the next few days suffering in unimaginable agony while I almost died?"

When in doubt, the guilt card was also an old, reliable favorite.​

"What, pipsqueak?" He blinked innocently in the face of the accusation, playing the ignorance card. He knew as well as Ruby probably did that the mischievous smirk on his face was a dead giveaway, though. "Is it something to do with that guy I got poisoned saving your skinny butt from, and spent the next few days suffering in unimaginable agony while I almost died?"

When in doubt, the guilt card was also an old, reliable favorite.

"...Unfair x2." She grumbled. But Ruby relented regardless, the Tyrian here didn't seem that baaaaaad. Not like the psycho weird guy that came out of nowhere to attack and recite poem lines at them. ...Actually if she thought about it, this Tyrian she'd just left back there, he reminded her of an even more strange and hyperactive Nora...something she hadn't thought even possible. Ruby glanced forward at the retreating back of Raven as not-her-Yang's mom strode forward before Ruby looked back at Qrow. "How about you, everything okay?"

"...Unfair x2." She grumbled. But Ruby relented regardless, the Tyrian here didn't seem that baaaaaad. Not like the psycho weird guy that came out of nowhere to attack and recite poem lines at them. ...Actually if she thought about it, this Tyrian she'd just left back there, he reminded her of an even more strange and hyperactive Nora...something she hadn't thought even possible. Ruby glanced forward at the retreating back of Raven as not-her-Yang's mom strode forward before Ruby looked back at Qrow. "How about you, everything okay?"

tumblr_nxwiruMpyR1rktwn6o6_r1_400.gifv

"Yuuuuuup." He grinned mysteriously as he naturally started ruffling up that flashy new hairstyle Ruby was putting so much effort into, articulating the drone like it was a violation of sacred uncle-niece tenants for her to be asking him that. "If it's gonna be like that, back atcha. The sloppier, less handsome me didn't say anything to freak you out, did he?"

Their push-and-pull dynamic was a strange one, as the less disaffected Yang appeared by whatever Eve was saying, the more disaffected the faunus seemed to grow in turn, the blonde no longer an impervious force of harm who could sweep right through her like a whirlwind of fists and violence and never shutting the hell up. As Eve watched the huntress spin, plant her feet, and start completely losing her cool over an implication she hadn't even actually intended to make, the White Fang commander's head was cocked warily even as she reluctantly slowed to a halt herself, grip on her weapon a bit more uncertain. This wasn't like the other times. She'd been giving Yang her monster face right from the start, the persona she used when she wanted someone to fear her, the face she reserved for her enemies. Until now, she hadn't given her a reason to doubt that choice. She attacked her, after all, at a time when Eve had simply been trying to get her to move aside. Belittled her. Taken away Blake. As far as she was concerned, the woman facing her had given her every reason to view her as the Enemy, just another bulldozing human come to shatter whatever fragile sense of agency the faunus had managed to piece back together for herself again. If humans like that had had their way, she would've stayed down in those mines, crying and burned, pathetic and oppressed. Would never have become the thing they all now feared so much.

This was something else. The blonde wasn't the great beast she came across as when she first waylaid her at Beacon, the terrifying dragon whose flames made her scars tingle and seemed to know exactly how to get in her head, how to anticipate her every move. Who, in defeating her, had shaken her confidence in a way it hadn't been since long before she became the White Fang's furious, lionized champion, made her powerless to stop something in a way she hadn't been since childhood. Was she...? Eve's head cocked further. She was...

...She was just some stupid kid, wasn't she?

The sour, begrudging sigh Eve released as Yang turned away sounded more self-directed than anything, like she was kicking herself for being so stupid. On some levels, nothing had changed; she still had every reason to dislike the person in front of her. But she couldn't wrap herself in this delusion any longer just because it was the one her rage found the most appealing. The entire world could've been at stake and she was feuding with an out-of-her-depth teenager. God.

Inwardly, the realizations currently spinning Eve's brain around were many. Outwardly, what she said next didn't change.

"So you did kill him."

The words were firm, unwavering, no effort made to disguise volume or tone for the sake of keeping Yang's secret. That said, it didn't match Yang's raise in pitch or aggression as Eve put one foot in the other and started following.

"Good."

There it was again, the voice of the monster. She couldn't deny it, her instincts still wanted Yang to be her enemy. To be someone she could kill someday and not have to feel bad about it. The anger and hatred that had defined her since childhood wanted blood, and no matter how she refused to act on them she was long past the point of taming those desires. It was all she could do not to be consumed by them. She drew in a deep breath, venting those feelings through her nostrils for now.

"He... I... took something from you. And I'm not talking about this." The grip on Yang's prosthetic was sudden, tight, and unrelenting as she jerked it up to eye level for demonstration, and with as clearly as she was forcing herself to think in this moment Eve was more than prepared to avoid any swing or other retaliation Yang sought to visit, at least until she made her point.

"You were able to take it back. Not everyone gets that."
If there was any reaction to the accusation of Adam's death it wasn't verbal, the blonde still stalking away from the faunus and not pausing in her stride. The first time Eve grabbed at her arm it was pulled away with the violent ferocity a wounded lion, and at the required second grab Yang whirled with her fist raised as both guantlets whirred and extended into combat mode with the sound of rounds chambering. She stopped just short of swinging as her breathing sharpened and her eyes burned a stormy red, listening in a terse silence as Eve said what she meant to.

"You're right. I did. Are you done?"

Her voice was taut with a fragile anger, everything about this godsforsaken conversation pushing every single wrong button inside Yang's head. But it didn't crack, not even when her nightmares made flesh was making her acknowledge what he took from her. Because she had gotten it back. She'd clawed her way up from the depths, struggled until her fingers bled, and caught Blake's hand on the way so they could pull each other up for the final stretch. This version of Taurus could look at her with as much pity or sympathy or whatever this crap was all she wanted.

She wasn't broken anymore. The lines of the break might have been filled with something that hadn't been there the first time, clearly visible. It might've still hurt to think back on that day and what came after. But Yang Xiao Long was unbowed. She was done letting Adam dictate how she saw herself. Not in her world, or any other world, no matter how stupid it was that she even had to entertain that concept, and no matter how much this version named Eve seemed to be coming at it from a different angle.

As if to illustrate, she slowly brought up her free hand to the same level, and even with the thick gloves she wore it was obvious the tremors gripping it were as severe as Yang's had been at their worst. Her jaw was tight, but somehow the hostile intent in her bearing was nonexistent in stark contrast to her usual presentation as she let her grip fall away, making no move to retaliate even if Yang's reprisal was more than just verbal. If such was the case, she just picked herself back off the ground with the poise of someone who had plenty of experience being there, and her tone was bitter in an entirely different light to the prior instances Yang could recall as she turned and stalked towards the treeline with an air that was practically envious.

"I suggest you never let anyone take it away from you again."

She practically ripped her arm free as Eve was raising her hand and gave the faunus a light shove, more to create some semblance of distance than to start anything. When she was finally done, she sniffed and turned away, going right back to stalking off towards the rest of the party. She knew that should've sparked something in her. That the Adam she knew didn't have those shivers, that he was way too far gone down his victimless hero mindset to feel anything close to what Yang had felt right up until the moment he died. That it should've meant something that some version of the white fang champion was absolving her of wrongdoing in his death.

But if it did, her subconscious was smothering it, too determined to hold onto her conviction that she was over it to even want any absolution, like even admitting it might make whatever it was that had filled in the broken cracks weaken all over again. That wasn't something she could deal with. Not now. Not in this current clustertruck. So all she said in response was quiet, frustrated, and giving absolutely no ground.

"Wasn't planning on it, Taurus."

At least now she could simmer in peace.

Emerald had vanished like a thief in the night when Hazel started giving them the eyes this go around, but Mercury's ego had him clashing against the intimidating glare with an unfazed squint this whole time. The bigger they were the more they bled, etc.

When the topic shifted to Emerald, though, Merc had conveniently evaporated as well, a broken-dot cartoon outline practically visible around the spot he'd been occupying just a second ago.

"She can't. It'll rip her dimension apart if you don't die." The murderer's son informed helpfully, also dropping by. He tossed his empty soda cup into a nearby bush without a thought for the environment and glanced around. "Yeesh. This whole taking-up-the-rearguard setup's good when you need to hide out from those other losers, but it's starting to get a little crowded, dontcha think?"

From behind him, Emerald leaned her head out with an embarrassed laugh and exceedingly sheepish wave.​

Ok. Seriously?

She sucked in a long, suffering breath between her teeth as she put her hands on her hips and looked at the ground, just taking a few seconds to collect her thoughts. A brief re-centering. Just taking every bad feeling she was currently wading through like it was an emotional bog and shoving it in a box to just scream into a pillow later tonight on the train. Vernal had agreed to help them basically entirely off of yang's word or at least that's how Yang saw it, so she figured she owed the bandit that much.

When she looked back up, she still wasn't smiling, but her eyes were a soft purple again and her frown was more muted as she side eyed Vernal.

"...You and my mom sided with the bad guys in a bid to get the relic and fought against us. Surprising no one, except you two I guess, they betrayed you at the last second. You died, my mom killed the person who killed you, she almost looked sad about it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back