• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"...." Ilia let out a heavy sigh about halfway through Sienna's speech, already able to guess exactly where it was going. She had so desperately hoped that convincing Sienna was possible, that making her end the alliance between them would be enough to help pull Blake away from the path she was so committed to walking. The aid that Ozpin had given to the Shadow Fang and whatever promises he made clearly outweighed her own words. "I'm sorry to hear you say that." The chameleon meant it, genuinely. Sienna, her Sienna, had been a great leader for a long time. Extreme methods, maybe, but her heart had always been unquestionably with the cause of improving the lives of all faunus.

And it wasn't hard to read into what Sienna was saying towards the end. Ilia's eyes flitted around from guard to guard in quick succession as the High Leader asked that final question. "Hmm. Suggestions..." The words had barely come out of her mouth before she had leapt back a considerable distance, turning around into a sprint for the giant door. This idea hadn't panned out great, but...if she could just make it to where the shuttle was, fly it out of here...

This Blake had mentioned there were others out there like her, not the ones that grew up in this world. They were out there, somewhere. She just had to find them and hope they would be willing to help. Of course, the more immediate issue was that she had to get out of here...and past Blake who was probably standing just on the other side of those doors. Or Sienna too, for that matter, if the high leader gave chase. Another sigh escaped her right before she -​

The guard's all lowered their spears and shifted in front of Sienna at the moment Ilia made her move, but Sienna didn't seem to react at all. Just before Ilia reached the doors, something came out of the shadows above and landed deftly on the ground between her and it, somehow unseen even to her Faunus nightvision, like it blended into the darkness rather than just hiding it.

How it did that was probably very clear, as an weapon Ilia was deeply familiar with started to swing straight for her

"STOP"

The faunus chameleon froze just before her slash connected, and she let out a small noise of frustration as she stepped back and let her skin change, shifting from an inky black that matched the jumpsuit she wore to a much more familiar, freckled tan color. Sienna had finally stood as she barked the order, and she sighed as she started down the stairs. The guards moved to follow her, but she stopped them with a raised hand as she made her way towards the two.

"Ilia. I think you misunderstood."

"No, I'm pretty sure she was trying to make a break for it." (apparently) Ilia drawled back

Sienna's eye twitched, and she put a pair of fingers to her forehead with a huff. That was going to get old, very fast.

"I mean the other Ilia. You aren't a prisoner here. Unless you attack a member of the shadow fang yourself, then you are a guest."

She stopped a few feet away from the duo with her hands clasped behind her back and a her head at a slight tilt.

"But I do need to know what your intentions are."

The guard's all lowered their spears and shifted in front of Sienna at the moment Ilia made her move, but Sienna didn't seem to react at all. Just before Ilia reached the doors, something came out of the shadows above and landed deftly on the ground between her and it, somehow unseen even to her Faunus nightvision, like it blended into the darkness rather than just hiding it.

How it did that was probably very clear, as an weapon Ilia was deeply familiar with started to swing straight for her

"STOP"

The faunus chameleon froze just before her slash connected, and she let out a small noise of frustration as she stepped back and let her skin change, shifting from an inky black that matched the jumpsuit she wore to a much more familiar, freckled tan color. Sienna had finally stood as she barked the order, and she sighed as she started down the stairs. The guards moved to follow her, but she stopped them with a raised hand as she made her way towards the two.

"Ilia. I think you misunderstood."

"No, I'm pretty sure she was trying to make a break for it." (apparently) Ilia drawled back

Sienna's eye twitched, and she put a pair of fingers to her forehead with a huff. That was going to get old, very fast.

"I mean the other Ilia. You aren't a prisoner here. Unless you attack a member of the shadow fang yourself, then you are a guest."

She stopped a few feet away from the duo with her hands clasped behind her back and a her head at a slight tilt.

"But I do need to know what your intentions are."

...Oh. The surprise hit her like a sack of bricks, Ilia preemptively flinching as...no strike came. Sienna's command saw to that. Ilia cracked open a single eye and watched the shadowed version of herself step back and change colors, revealing herself fully. She wasn't so surprised that there was another one of herself around, Blake had pretty much said that earlier...but she was taken aback, having figured that her counterpart would be on Menagerie. Not here.

She tore her gaze away from the Shadow Fang Ilia to watch Sienna approach.

"So...I can leave, then?" Ilia cautiously asked. "You won't object to that?" She hesitated before continuing with: "Because that's my intention. I...need to figure things out here. A lot of things. Because, you know..." She waved her hand over at her other self. "...there's a lot on my plate."

"Neo!! Where are-"

~pop~

"Oh, there you are." Roman resisted the urge to hug Neo for just a moment as he flicked away his cigar. "That? She's the Maiden we were all looking for. Guess her and Cinder are gonna do some training.." Roman shrugged his shoulders and then...looked from side to side before giving Neo a quick hug.

"Sorry. I...got worried that one of these goons captured you or something.."

It was...weirdly touching to see how these two were together. Considering how the other two of these pair she'd seen last had been kicking her around and then thwacking her with a cane when she got knocked down all on top a giant burning airship. Still, these ones here were all on the same side and she supposed that meant she had to try to make it work. It's not like they could be worse than the first time she met Weiss...right?

Ruby cleared her throat before she sped up her walk a bit to keep pace with those two. "So, uh...not sure this is the right time or anything...but...what's the story with you two? In this world I mean." Ruby asked Roman and Neo.​

...Oh. The surprise hit her like a sack of bricks, Ilia preemptively flinching as...no strike came. Sienna's command saw to that. Ilia cracked open a single eye and watched the shadowed version of herself step back and change colors, revealing herself fully. She wasn't so surprised that there was another one of herself around, Blake had pretty much said that earlier...but she was taken aback, having figured that her counterpart would be on Menagerie. Not here.

She tore her gaze away from the Shadow Fang Ilia to watch Sienna approach.

"So...I can leave, then?" Ilia cautiously asked. "You won't object to that?" She hesitated before continuing with: "Because that's my intention. I...need to figure things out here. A lot of things. Because, you know..." She waved her hand over at her other self. "...there's a lot on my plate."

"I think we're eating from the same plate" The other Ilia said. She'd wondered why Sienna wanted her on guard duty today. It came out of the blue, wasn't the sort of job she normally did, and Sienna wouldn't take no for an answer. She supposed she got it now though. If the Ilia she knew was in the room, she'd know for sure that this wasn't her, being brainwashed or turning traitor. It didn't make any of this less... weird though. She slowly ambled around herself, whatever expression she had hidden under the mask of the shadow fang, whatever dark, angry thoughts she entertained-

"...if we touched each other would we explode-"

"Focus, Ilia." Sienna snapped. She frowned and returned her gaze to the Ilia out of time.

"...If that's what you wish. But outside these walls you are no longer under any sort of protection. Not from the humans, not from Ozpin, and not from... any bad choices you might make. I will never turn away a faunus who asks for help, but nor will I save someone who spurns the hand. Are you sure that's what you want? The Ilia I know is a trusted ally, and you say you served the faunus cause in your own time. I..."

She reached out and put a hand on Ilia's shoulder.

"...I wouldn't want to see harm befall a comrade, even if its not the same one I fought beside."

The other Ilia stood to the side and rubbed her arm, feeling some mix of very awkward seeing this in third person and proud to hear the high leader say that stuff about her out loud.

"Neo!! Where are-"

~pop~

"Oh, there you are." Roman resisted the urge to hug Neo for just a moment as he flicked away his cigar. "That? She's the Maiden we were all looking for. Guess her and Cinder are gonna do some training.." Roman shrugged his shoulders and then...looked from side to side before giving Neo a quick hug.

"Sorry. I...got worried that one of these goons captured you or something.."

Oh! They'd already found her! Neat. You know khat was less neat? Roman smokin-

Her oncoming nonverbal lecture was cut short by the hug, and she giggled silently as she returned the hug before she pushed back and put an over dramatic hand to her chest with a pout and her eyes closed, clearly absolutely affronted that Roman thought one of these guys could take her

It was...weirdly touching to see how these two were together. Considering how the other two of these pair she'd seen last had been kicking her around and then thwacking her with a cane when she got knocked down all on top a giant burning airship. Still, these ones here were all on the same side and she supposed that meant she had to try to make it work. It's not like they could be worse than the first time she met Weiss...right?

Ruby cleared her throat before she sped up her walk a bit to keep pace with those two. "So, uh...not sure this is the right time or anything...but...what's the story with you two? In this world I mean." Ruby asked Roman and Neo.​

She blinked from where Roman was hugging her-

Something poked Ruby's arm as the other Neo shattered, a confused frown on Neo's face where she now stood right next to the young huntress. It was so weird seeing a Ruby with two arms. She glanced up to meet the silver eyes and studied them for a moment. She never hated the Ruby she knew. Thought she was kinda... weird, but she never felt too comfortable judging anyone for that given that she was herself and her best friend was, well, Roman. Apparently the Red Masque had done a whole litany of bad things, but the weight was hard to appreciate when it was all second hand, and this Ruby apparently hadn't ever done anything like that.

So Neo suddenly shift to a beam and stuck out her hand for a shake.

She didn't answer the question, obviously. That'd be Roman's job

"I think we're eating from the same plate" The other Ilia said. She'd wondered why Sienna wanted her on guard duty today. It came out of the blue, wasn't the sort of job she normally did, and Sienna wouldn't take no for an answer. She supposed she got it now though. If the Ilia she knew was in the room, she'd know for sure that this wasn't her, being brainwashed or turning traitor. It didn't make any of this less... weird though. She slowly ambled around herself, whatever expression she had hidden under the mask of the shadow fang, whatever dark, angry thoughts she entertained-

"...if we touched each other would we explode-"

"Focus, Ilia." Sienna snapped. She frowned and returned her gaze to the Ilia out of time.

"...If that's what you wish. But outside these walls you are no longer under any sort of protection. Not from the humans, not from Ozpin, and not from... any bad choices you might make. I will never turn away a faunus who asks for help, but nor will I save someone who spurns the hand. Are you sure that's what you want? The Ilia I know is a trusted ally, and you say you served the faunus cause in your own time. I..."

She reached out and put a hand on Ilia's shoulder.

"...I wouldn't want to see harm befall a comrade, even if its not the same one I fought beside."

The other Ilia stood to the side and rubbed her arm, feeling some mix of very awkward seeing this in third person and proud to hear the high leader say that stuff about her out loud.

"I'm...sorry, Sienna, but I can't stand with you if you insist on working alongside Ozpin." The unmasked Ilia replied in a sad yet resolute voice. "No amount of weapons he gives, or dust he hands over, or promises he makes, none of that will ever be worth the price he demands in return. The longer you stay allied with him, the longer you walk that road..." Ilia turned away from Sienna to look pointedly at the other her. "...the more you'll lose yourself." She didn't know if this Ilia was anything like her beyond just appearance. If she ever wavered in what she felt she had to do, if she ever doubted the necessary sacrifices others said she had to make as a member of the Shadow Fang. Or...if they were just...fundamentally different, sharing nothing more beyond a name and a face.

Ilia tried to imagine how the Blake she knew would react to the Blake that was just outside this room. "..."

The chameleon pulled away from them both, shaking her head as she took a few steps back. "I appreciate that you'd want to protect me...but I can't accept. You're standing in league with a monster. A monster who ordered this-" She raised her scarred arm up. "-and used somebody who looks like my friend to do it. If mom and dad were here, and they saw me standing alongside someone like that..." She couldn't keep the tears from welling up in her eyes. Her gaze remained steady on the floor in front of her for almost a minute, quiet as could be.

"...I...can't stay, but...other me." She raised her head to look over at the masked Ilia. "Would they...mom and dad...would they be proud of you?"

Her oncoming nonverbal lecture was cut short by the hug, and she giggled silently as she returned the hug before she pushed back and put an over dramatic hand to her chest with a pout and her eyes closed, clearly absolutely affronted that Roman thought one of these guys could take her

Roman enjoyed the hug. Probably more than was expected out of the simple but sweet enough gesture. But the whole ass truth bomb that Mercury had dropped on them still hadn’t completely settled and the only outlet he’d found that helped relax him were the cigars. They tasted terrible, they smelled terrible and he was 99% sure he looked like a kid trying to ‘look’ cool.

But it was better than being miserable.

Still, he mentally steeled himself for Neo to get on him about it when it was just the two of them and he couldn’t just take her mind off things with a hug.

Hey, one of em’s a maiden! Though...I’d still wager it’s 50/50~”
Ruby cleared her throat before she sped up her walk a bit to keep pace with those two. "So, uh...not sure this is the right time or anything...but...what's the story with you two? In this world I mean." Ruby asked Roman and Neo.

Ah, the Masque’s counterpart.
...And the one who told him he was supposed to be dead. The idea of it still made him shiver.

Still, he relaxed himself as best as he could. Which wasn’t as easy as it sounded given he had to throw one of his cigars away moments ago.

Story? Eh, Neo and I have known eachother since we were kids living up on Mt. Glenn. ...Till there wasn’t a community on Mt Glenn anymore.” Roman murmured, pulling down the brim of his hat. “Neo and I have been inseparable ever since then. Dunno what I’d do without her. Honest.”

Tapping the ground with Melodic Cudgel, Roman spared a brief glance up at the sky. We’d decided we were gonna be huntsman and life’s been taking us on one wild ride since then.” Looking back at Ruby, Roman couldn’t help but ask.

You were surprised to see me,alive that is. Which means the me you know probably kicked the bucket. ...Were we bad folks in your world?” Call it weird if you wanted but Roman wanted to know if his other self deserved whatever he got.

...And he also wondered what the other Neo was doing.

If there was one thing Hazel appreciated about his partner, beyond his immaculate skill as a huntsman, it was that he wore his heart on his sleeve. It offset the faunus's eccentric behavior a fair amount and allowed the giant to manage his friendship as they commonly arrived at an understanding with little urging. The same could not have been said for their team leader, Arthur, and in a way, Hazel understood why. Strong-minded and relentlessly inquisitive, he was content investigating ideas and happenstances more so than interacting with another. Or at the very least, he'd instigated those things in a bid to learn more than he needed, to the chagrin of others.

Then there was the final member of their team, younger than the rest and apparently saddled with a ridiculous responsibility that would be daunting even for a veteran huntsman. Hazel might have always considered the circumstances of her enrollment to have been strange, though clarified now as it was, but he had been quick to accept her and offered his friendship, his support.

Which was why he had no qualms about walking up to Cinder amid a conversation with Vernal.

"Hey, Little Red." He'd casually greet, while casting a firm nod towards Vernal as he noted her presence. "Haven't had much chance to chat, I'd like to get a handle on something about this situation. The whole of it."

Something poked Ruby's arm as the other Neo shattered, a confused frown on Neo's face where she now stood right next to the young huntress. It was so weird seeing a Ruby with two arms. She glanced up to meet the silver eyes and studied them for a moment. She never hated the Ruby she knew. Thought she was kinda... weird, but she never felt too comfortable judging anyone for that given that she was herself and her best friend was, well, Roman. Apparently the Red Masque had done a whole litany of bad things, but the weight was hard to appreciate when it was all second hand, and this Ruby apparently hadn't ever done anything like that.

So Neo suddenly shift to a beam and stuck out her hand for a shake.

She didn't answer the question, obviously. That'd be Roman's job

"...yes, that is my arm, thanks for noticing?" One of Ruby's eyebrows raised as she peered back at Neo, who was staring deep into her silver eyes. "Yeah, pretty cool right? They can laser beam grimm to death." : )

When the hand got stuck out, to Ruby's credit it only took a few seconds of hesitation before she reached out and firmly shook Neo's hand.​

Story? Eh, Neo and I have known eachother since we were kids living up on Mt. Glenn. ...Till there wasn’t a community on Mt Glenn anymore.” Roman murmured, pulling down the brim of his hat. “Neo and I have been inseparable ever since then. Dunno what I’d do without her. Honest.”

Tapping the ground with Melodic Cudgel, Roman spared a brief glance up at the sky. We’d decided we were gonna be huntsman and life’s been taking us on one wild ride since then.” Looking back at Ruby, Roman couldn’t help but ask.

"...Oh." She frowned upon hearing that news, thinking back to her days in Professor Oobleck's class. Mountain Glenn...Vale's first real attempt at expansion. It worked for a while thanks to heavy defenses and an advanced subway system. But without the natural barriers Vale itself had, the expansion was destined to not last. With the end drawing near, the people that lived there retreated to under the city to massive caves they had cleared out for their subway in one last attempt for survival. An underground safe haven. It worked, for a time. Until the day an explosion opened another cavern, filled with subterranean grimm. After that...the kingdom officially sealed off the tunnels and created the world's largest tomb.

"..." Nobody deserved to go through something like that, as far as Ruby was concerned. Not even enemies. Not that these two were enemies, despite...looking like it. "I'm sorry you went through something like that. Both of you."
You were surprised to see me,alive that is. Which means the me you know probably kicked the bucket. ...Were we bad folks in your world?”

"...Yeah. You were." Ruby shook her head sadly. "You helped. With the attack on Beacon. The night it fell."

Then there was the final member of their team, younger than the rest and apparently saddled with a ridiculous responsibility that would be daunting even for a veteran huntsman. Hazel might have always considered the circumstances of her enrollment to have been strange, though clarified now as it was, but he had been quick to accept her and offered his friendship, his support.

Which was why he had no qualms about walking up to Cinder amid a conversation with Vernal.

"Hey, Little Red." He'd casually greet, while casting a firm nod towards Vernal as he noted her presence. "Haven't had much chance to chat, I'd like to get a handle on something about this situation. The whole of it."

"Are you serious? Whoa, that's so cool! I--" Cinder trailed off her reply to Vernal, blinked and turned over and looked way way up to Hazel when he approached. There was a brief annoyed pout on her face at the use of that nickname and some grumbling: "I'm not little!!" but all of that wasn't too serious. She knew Hazel meant it in a good, affectionate way. That was just the kind of guy he was, the big softie. "Hey yourself, big guy!" She returned with a grin. "Vernal here was just sharing some moves she used once against some Grimm. Cool stuff, apart from...you know, being a bandit and all. Anyways, yeah, sure. What's on your mind? Something specific or..."

"Are you serious? Whoa, that's so cool! I--" Cinder trailed off her reply to Vernal, blinked and turned over and looked way way up to Hazel when he approached. There was a brief annoyed pout on her face at the use of that nickname and some grumbling: "I'm not little!!" but all of that wasn't too serious. She knew Hazel meant it in a good, affectionate way. That was just the kind of guy he was, the big softie. "Hey yourself, big guy!" She returned with a grin. "Vernal here was just sharing some moves she used once against some Grimm. Cool stuff, apart from...you know, being a bandit and all. Anyways, yeah, sure. What's on your mind? Something specific or..."

Her reaction elicited a soft chuckle, happy at the least Cinder had a peer to discuss her new (roughly) station with. He would have tried to downplay the seriousness of the burning question he had, born of his curiosity but wouldn't have changed anything.

"Yeah, it's specific. Maybe timing's wrong but I should ask." He peered down to Cinder, his eyes flickering to Vernal fleetingly before back to Cinder. Maybe it involved her too. Still, out with it. "How are you feeling about being a Maiden?"

He hadn't been there for the revelatory bits, indisposed by the separate matter of his younger sibling, catching the rough cliffs-notes about it. It wasn't that Salem had ordered his teammate to hide this worldchanging news from him and the others that perturbed him. He could understand that. Sure, he might have liked to have known but that was her perogative and if he had any concerns-- misgivings to be more accurate-- it was the rest Salem had shared with them all.

Still, though, he wanted to gauge where she stood on it all.

"Yeah, it's specific. Maybe timing's wrong but I should ask." He peered down to Cinder, his eyes flickering to Vernal fleetingly before back to Cinder. Maybe it involved her too. Still, out with it. "How are you feeling about being a Maiden?"

"I..." Cinder took a few moments to think. "...huh. Wow, you know, I think that's the first time somebody's asked me that. I got a lot of talk about maidens from Salem and the others. History on former maidens, what they're meant to do, where the power comes from but...I can't recall ever being asked how I feel about it? So...yeah. Thanks for asking that." She nodded appreciatively. "So, how I feel, huh? Yeah, I like it." She said with a smile.

"I mean, you know where I came from. Where I lived. It was a random stroke of luck and it saved me from being forced to stay with my old man. But more than that...it gave me power, like nothing I ever imagined. Seriously. Some young girl from a broken home, and like in a snap of the fingers I'm suddenly so much more than that. I get this crazy power, Salem and Glynda find me to offer entry to Beacon...my whole life gets flipped upside down...in a good way! I have the chance to do so much more than I ever thought possible, to help people that can't help themselves. The sort of person I used to be. Can't say I appreciate what Salem kept from me, but...overall, yeah. I feel good about it." Cinder fell silent, looking curiously at Hazel.

"What about you, though?" She asked, reaching over to pat him on the back, on the highest spot she could reach. "How you holdin' up with everything? The mission, what she wants us to do, the craziness with the guys from the other time...having Watts as a team leader..."

"I..." Cinder took a few moments to think. "...huh. Wow, you know, I think that's the first time somebody's asked me that. I got a lot of talk about maidens from Salem and the others. History on former maidens, what they're meant to do, where the power comes from but...I can't recall ever being asked how I feel about it? So...yeah. Thanks for asking that." She nodded appreciatively. "So, how I feel, huh? Yeah, I like it." She said with a smile.

"I mean, you know where I came from. Where I lived. It was a random stroke of luck and it saved me from being forced to stay with my old man. But more than that...it gave me power, like nothing I ever imagined. Seriously. Some young girl from a broken home, and like in a snap of the fingers I'm suddenly so much more than that. I get this crazy power, Salem and Glynda find me to offer entry to Beacon...my whole life gets flipped upside down...in a good way! I have the chance to do so much more than I ever thought possible, to help people that can't help themselves. The sort of person I used to be. Can't say I appreciate what Salem kept from me, but...overall, yeah. I feel good about it." Cinder fell silent, looking curiously at Hazel.

"What about you, though?" She asked, reaching over to pat him on the back, on the highest spot she could reach. "How you holdin' up with everything? The mission, what she wants us to do, the craziness with the guys from the other time...having Watts as a team leader..."

"That's the rub of it, with the Academies I feel." Hazel commented, emphasizing the beginnings of what Cinder'd just said, though he related a rationale for it. "They train you for your duties, the rest comes from your relationships, your team. It's a system that could use improvement but anyway." That wasn't the focal point he meant to make but it was no secret to the team that only a couple years ago, he was against the concept of these institutions. He furrowed his brows in light of that, though not at Cinder but himself. He pushed past it.

"I'm glad it's changed your life for the better. It's the catalyst for our friendship too, which I appreciate." He added, with a smile as he accepted her answer. Especially that Cinder followed similar aspirations in helping others.

As for her own series of questions, it was something of a mixed bag. "What happened to Beacon was a tragedy but it could have been worse, I realize, though it's a hollow comfort. Thanks to the doppelgangers, they averted the worst of it. It was difficult though, my sister Gretchen wasn't so fortunate. Half her team were killed in the attack. The death we witnessed was stark but seeing someone in the throes of true loss... it hurt. And it could have very easily have been me with her. Or any one of us. That's something that's lingered in the back in my mind for the past week along with everything else. Especially now we know that there is a source of the evil in the world, the ultimate personification of it and we might not be able to defeat it."

He sighed, a forlorn sound that crawled from his mouth as he continued. "It made me angry, made most of us upset, realizing that the most impact any graduate from the academies could achieve is just staving off the inevitable. But... that isn't really why I'm angry, I think. Salem wasn't wrong in what she told you all. I'm angry because it brought up old feelings I had put to bed, rationalizations that brought more harm than good. Based in fear and the desire for security at the expense of some if not all else."

But none of it compared to having Watts as team leader

"It's an ongoing disagreement between myself and the past but it has me worried, an insidious series of 'what if you were right'. I'm hoping this mission, our journey to Haven, will quash this and if not... I'm placing my faith in my team and friends. In you as a Maiden. To figure it out. Together."

"I'm glad it's changed your life for the better. It's the catalyst for our friendship too, which I appreciate." He added, with a smile as he accepted her answer. Especially that Cinder followed similar aspirations in helping others.

“Me too, big green. Me too.”

As for her own series of questions, it was something of a mixed bag. "What happened to Beacon was a tragedy but it could have been worse, I realize, though it's a hollow comfort. Thanks to the doppelgangers, they averted the worst of it. It was difficult though, my sister Gretchen wasn't so fortunate. Half her team were killed in the attack. The death we witnessed was stark but seeing someone in the throes of true loss... it hurt. And it could have very easily have been me with her. Or any one of us. That's something that's lingered in the back in my mind for the past week along with everything else. Especially now we know that there is a source of the evil in the world, the ultimate personification of it and we might not be able to defeat it."

“...” She stopped walking for a second, that reply catching her so off guard. She had known he’d had a sister but...half her team gone? “I’m...sorry.” Cinder reached out with a hand, intending it to be a comforting sign of support. “That really sucks. If you need anything, I’m here, y’know? Just say the word.” She patted him a couple times with her hand before pulling back and resuming her walk, albeit doing backwards so she could keep an eye on him. “And hey, no no no. Salem said she didn’t think he could be truly killed, not that he couldn’t be defeated. I promise you, all this power I have?” She held out her palms, fire crackling to life within them.

“I’ll do whatever I can with it to keep you guys alive and take down that evil Grimm king.”

At least she hoped he could be taken down, even if he couldn’t be slain.
"It's an ongoing disagreement between myself and the past but it has me worried, an insidious series of 'what if you were right'. I'm hoping this mission, our journey to Haven, will quash this and if not... I'm placing my faith in my team and friends. In you as a Maiden. To figure it out. Together."

“Same, big man. I’m right there with you on that.” She smirked, pointing with double finger guns right at him. “Plus, yeah, we have the occasionally useful team MTEN with us too! Maybe this’ll be one of those occasions that they’ll pull their own weight. Not to mention this Ruby and her family.”

Vernal just shook her head, listening from off to the side. Kid was way too optimistic about the impossible war against Oz. But she’d learn soon.​

Speaking to Hazel had certainly helped him, at least a little bit.

But as Hazel went off to go see Vernal and Cinder, Tyrian followed behind the rest of the group with his arms folded behind his head.

Those words wouldn't leave him alone.

'Go back to your owners..'

Just as Mercury had kept secrets from his team, Tyrian had done the same. Looking down at his chest, Tyrian started to let his mind wander...

~~~

The walls were covered in grime, posters of fighters that have come and gone were peeling off just as much as the paint. The lights overhead were dim, almost as if the upkeep to this place was a secondary concern to the ones funding this whole depraved function. Truth be told, Tyrian hadn't been much of a fighter to begin with but after a few sparring sessions with the man who'd picked him out to be his latest recruit into the underground faunus fighting circuit, he was deemed capable of fighting by a doctor-who always seemed kind of sketchy to begin with.

He hadn't been given much of a choice in who he'd be facing or his wardrobe.

His 'manager' suggested white pants.

tumblr_pfsdbnLyjV1r97vogo1_400.png

The audience could see the blood spots better that way.

As he walked down the hallway with his music blaring all the while-another thing Tyrian had no choice over-he took a deep breath and exhaled. Before coming down here, his manager had made things crystal clear to him.

"If you win? Then you're on your way to earning both of us some cash. If you lose, no big deal. Get patched up and try again. But if you refuse? You can forget about your folk's jobs. Understand, Tyrian?"

He did.

His parents were kind enough people,which given their atrocious working conditions was a miracle in it of itself. They'd never understand or approve of their only son fighting in illegal brawls...Especially against his own kind. Thus he'd promised his manager that his parents would never find out about this. If anyone ever asked, Tyrian got the extra cash by helping out around town. Such was the secrecy of pure debauchery like this. Humans of all social classes from the poor and middle class in the bottom bleachers and the rich-like the man who'd taken an interest in him to begin with-watched from on high at the animals bloodying themselves for thier amusement. Tyrian supposed he should have been disgusted. But whether it was the training he did or what but he didn't care who watched. He just wanted to fight. Nothing else mattered. As he stepped out to the ring, he paid the fanfare very little attention. His actions would speak for themselves.

"COMING OUT TO A CURIOUS AND EAGER AUDIENCE IS ONE OF OUR NEWCOMERS FOLKS! EVERYONE PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR....THE BLACK SCORPION!!"

Tyrian huffed and glared at the announcer who quickly took a step back. "Hey kid, save the anger for your opponent, huh??"

Tyrian didn't care what inane name the humans gave him. He just wanted to strut his stuff and show his manager that he was worth all that training. As he saw the lights turn on throughout his opponent's hallway, Tyrian couldn't help but grin in excitement. His opponent stood around 6'4 if Tyrian had to guess. Lining his bare chest were dozens of scars. It was almost offputting to imagine him getting all of them. Around his neck was a flowing mane of brown hair,most of which had greyed over slightly. 'So, he's a lion faunus then...' As the two stood in the ring, Tyrian noticed a peculiar look in his opponent's eyes.

They were full of hatred.

"CHALLENGING "THE BLACK SCORPION" IS NONE OTHER THAN FFC VET: HELL's KING! WHO WILL WIN? OUR NEW BLOOD OR THE OL" TRIED AND TRUE? LET'S NOT KEEP YOU FOLKS WAITING FOR THE ANSWER! HERE WE GO!" Throwing his arm down to signal the start of the fight, the announcer quickly scurried out of the ring. Both fighters stared eachother down. Tyrian flashed King a smile and extended his hand to shake on things before they started fighting proper.

"To a good fight and may the better faunus win!"

The crowd laughed but Tyrian didn't care. He wanted to show respect where he felt it'd been due. King took one look at hiis hand and slapped it away.

"Spare me your childish bull, kid."

"URK!"

Tyrian was taken off his feet by the sudden gut punch. His aura had acted to defend him but he was still thrown back, crashing against the ropes. King flared his nostrils. "This is no place for a child's idea of respect, boy. You fight, that is all." As Tyrian rose to his feet and tried to get his bearings, another punch sent him back down the floor. "With the money I've got riding on this, I'll finally be able to retire. If you ever wanted advice from a pro,kid?" King teased as he wrapped one of his massive hands around Tyrian's neck, he scooped him up and reared his other hand back. "Try to go limp. It'll hurt a lot less."

Tyrian's head hurt but even with King's strength, he wouldn't pass out from that alone. As he was picked up, Tyrian recalled a prior convo he'd had with his manager.

'Your tail, how do you feel about using it in a fight?'

'What? You mean like to whack people? Sure, I guess.'

'Yeah, yeah, sure. But what about the stinger? Your semblance plus the stinger could make for a deadly combo!'

'...No. I'll fight if that's what you want. But I'll never stab someone with my tail.'

"Grrr..."

Just as he was about to deck Tyrian in the face, King noticed the purple glow in Tyrian's eyes. Before he could question what was happening, Tyrian's right hand lashed out and grabbed King's neck. Through the strain of King's hand on his throat, Tyrian hissed out. "Veteran or not...I offered you respect...and you spat in my face. I'm not the type to take that sitting down..." As his tail started to unwind from around his waist, Tyrian cracked King upside the head, forcing the older faunus to release him.. King couldn't believe what was happening here. This rookie, whom he'd been told that this was his first fight had not only hit him back,but he'd tampered with his aura somehow. Nursing what was likely to turn into a bruise, King scoffed."One lucky hit...That's all..."

Tyrian said nothing. Only arrogant men boasted.

Getting on all fours, Tyrian swung out with the blunt side of his stinger, the speed of his blows actually forcing King back. "Something's wrong...Something he did when he touched my neck. It's like the aura around there faded..' He knew for a fact that he was this brat's superior in strength. But with that tail constantly swinging in and out, he couldn't risk getting too close. What if this kid decided to stab him or something??

"UH OH! WOULD YOU LOO AT THAT FOLKS?! "HELL's KING IS ACTUALLY BEING FORCED BACK! WILL "THE BLACK SCORPION" EARN HIS FIRST WIN TONIGHT?!"

NO! He'd been fighting for these damn humans since he was this brat's age. Fighting...it was all he knew! If he lost here then...

Grabbing onto Tyrian's tail, King paused for a moment....and scoffed.

"I should have known you wouldn't have the guts to stab me."

Realizing what King was about to do, Tyrian's eyes began to glow again and he lashed out with a straight palm thrust to the chest. It was here that King finally realized what was going on.

"Your...semblance..."

As he accidentally let go of Tyrian's tail, King stumbled back as the music in the arena reached a crescendo. "Wait-wait!" King pleaded for mercy but there would be none. For him this fight meant freedom. For Tyrian, it meant helping his family. The crowd cheered and jeered as Tyrian rained blow after blow upon his opponent, forcing him to his knees where Tyrian held his stinger at neck level.

"Yield and go into the night with at least some modicum of respect."

King growled but as he looked into Tyrian's eyes, he knew it was over.

"I...yield.."

"FOR ALL THOSE THAT MAY NOT HAVE HEARD IT, 'HELL's KING' HAS JUST CONCEDED THE MATCH! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST VICTORY, 'BLACK SCORPION!!' "

Tyrian lowered his tail and seemed to think about it for a moment before extending his hand.

"Perhaps now a child's idea of respect is not so foolish...?"

King looked at the outstretched hand...and accepted it.

Tyrian smiled and went to pull King up to his feet before noticing the ring lights glistening off the blade of the knife in King's back pocket. As he pulled it free and tried to plunge it down into Tyrian, the scorpion faunu's tail lashed out. Shattering the blade off the knife and forcing King to acknowledge the grave mistake he'd just made. Tyrian's hands were balled up into fists at his side and every part of his mind was screaming the same thing. 'KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM.' But as the announcer exclaimed King's banning for using an illegal weapon, Tyrian stood there with his eyes locked on the one who had disrespected him not once but twice. It was only after security had dragged King off to who knows where did Tyrian turn and notice the audience.

They...were cheering for him.

Others would have written this off as super exploitative,but for better or worse, Tyrian loved it. He absolutely reveled in it.

As he walked backstage to see The Doc, he was surprised by what he got.

"You're giving me a bottle of bourbon?!"

The Doc was a strange man. Rotund with a bright red mustache and a bright yellow suit with blood red shoes, he pulled his goggles down and chuckled. "Tyrian, it's not so often that the fighters immeditely strike a chord with the audience like you did. Everyone was chanting about 'The Black Scorpion' by the end of that fight. 'Hell's King' who even is that? So, yeah, take the bottle. It's on me."

"...Thanks. Really, but I can't accept it. My parents would get far too suspicious."

The Doc brushed him off. "Then give it back and I'll keep it in my fridge. We can drink whenever you win, win, win!"

The doctor poured a glass and offered one to Tyrian who reluctantly gulped it down so as not to seem rude.

"Why'd he do it?"

"Eh?"

"King. He'd been fighting for years and then he gets himself banned by using a knife."

The Doctor set down his glass and sighed. "I won't pretend to know much about what you faunus go through. But most of you don't seem like you WANNA be here. Whether it's debt, blackmail, or intimidation most faunus that I've treated don't choose this life willingly. King was probably hoping that you'd be his lucky break. A chance out of here and enough money to support himself. But now that he got himself banned..." The Doc let that sentence hang allowing Tyrian to swap in whatever depressing fate he may have had in mind. ...Would he end up like no better than King in time?

"I've...gotta go."

Waving the Doc goodbye and downing the rest of his glass, he made his way to his manager's office to get his share of today's profits. The guards were less than keen on letting him through. "What the hell's the matter here?? I'm 'The Black Scorpion!' I fought in tonight's match!" But the guards wouldn't budge. for a disgusting faunus. Just as Tyrian was worried things were gonna get ugly the door opened. The man who'd sought Tyrian out had done so on a whim and his office clearly showed he was a man of luxury. A huge screen TV hung on the wall with the office seeming spacious enough to be someone's living room. The man behind it towered over Tyrian but just as with King, he was clearly getting on in years! Decked out in an all-black suit,contrasting with his grey hair and stache. Adjusting his glasses, he smiled at Tyrian.

"Tyrian, my boy! Exquisite introduction tonight-'

"I don't really want to talk... Can I just get my share of the winnings?"

His manager tut-tutted but otherwise handed over Tyrian's share without a fuss. Taking it, Tyrian pocketed it and turned to leave but...

"You knew didn't you. That King had a knife on him."

His manager seemed more amused if nothing else.

"If I said it made things more interesting , what would you do? If I told you that I'd OK'ed it, what would you do?"

"....Nothing."

"Exactly.~"

~~~

"...Tch."

No matter what Eve said, Tyrian saw it different.

"I've always been free..."

BANG

Wherever the strange, mismatched array of colorful warriors and their equally colorful weapons set up camp for that evening, one head was conspicuous in its absence by the distinct lack of confrontational behavior and aggression being passed around. The gunshots and occasional roar that echoed beneath the canopy of stars from a nearby clearing gave some indication to where that aggression was now being directed, as Grimm from hundreds of meters in all directions found themselves drawn to what constituted a beacon of negative emotion in droves.

Eve knelt in the middle of the clearing, an unsettling, almost corpse-like still to her figure that belied the malice and wrath that poured off her in waves. The trance was interrupted only whenever her heightened senses detected a breach in the similar calm atmosphere of the night around her, the inevitable rustling and growling that heralded the approach of a new monster through the surrounding thicket of trees. Usually it preceded the charge of a beowolf or ursa, their own cruel intentions every bit as potent as her own for as ineffective as they shortly proved to be; each swift, unsatisfying kill only served to thicken the clouds of frustration and resentment rolling within her, broadcasting her presence to grimm in an even wider radius as she knelt right back down in the same spot the moment they fell. Her latest challenger was another story.

While the more common grimm of this habitat usually hunted in packs and launched ambushes from the cover of the undergrowth, the sound of its approach was all she needed to hear to know this latest creature was a solitary one. Her ears detected the telltale rustle of tree leaves and protesting creak of their trunks from dozens of yards away as something of significant proportions slowly forced its way through them, unconcerned with concealing its presence from foes. Next came the heavy, muted footfall as it drew near, dull, rapid thumps that came in sequential rhythms of four that stopped just as they reached their apex.

ae7ad7b7166ffdb4cac0b88d37d64ccd.jpg

Until they started back up more heavily and rapidly than ever, a thunderous roar that eclipsed any preceding it shattering the night's tranquility as a juggernaut of muscle and unchecked fury exploded through the trees at the edge of the clearing, spraying splintered tree fragments in all directions. The beringel was aged, strong, and had probably roamed uncontested in these territories for some time, never wreaking enough targeted havoc to garner the notice of a professional huntress or huntsman but undoubtedly the cause of plenty of vanishing road parties and supply wagons through the years. It had already lunged into a charge directly for her, fists as heavy as sledgehammers and legs that weighed double that thundering against the dirt in a beat that should've been terrifying.

The grimm were far more intelligent than many assumed, yet in its bloodlust this one never made anything of the way the faunus's lips parted in a brutal, sadistic grin in the final moments of its charge, the figure taking her time rising to one knee like she awaited death just the latest in a long path of destruction it intended to continue well after tonight as it reared its fists back and brought its wrath down on the red glow submerging it—

BANG

Blush started its sudden upward burst of velocity in firearm configuration, but by the time it clanged against the rear edge of Wilt it was a scabbard as the momentum bolstered the guard's resistance, sharp edge already enveloped in an unstable wave of red. The beringel had no way of processing what was happening when the thin blade it swung down on proceeded to shear through the thick muscle and bone plates lining its arms like they were wet tissue paper, the creature's might working against it to remove its hands as the force of the clash cracked an indent in the ground beneath Eve's feet and fissures split through the clearing's dirt from the center. It roared again, but this time confusion mingled with the rage, the monster unable to do much but watch as its titanic fists bounced off the earth to either side of its 'victim'. It hardly reacted to the pain, swinging its tree trunk-thick arms in a horizontal arc for the faunus instead, but the attack's only result was more of the creature's arm disappearing in two red flashes quicker than anything it had ever registered as Eve finished her disaffected rise to stand. The beast roared again, but two further slashes and it was deprived of mass all the way up to the shoulders, the White Fang warrior's mane of red completely awash with a red glow that tinted the entire clearing in the gloom of night. She was unleashing all of it, the energy stored from charge after charge from beowolves and boarbatusks and all the other meager abominations that had come to her to die tonight, and with that release she could finally unleash the hatred and venom that had been coiling inside her ever since she parted from the humans as well, a snarl on her face every bit as malevolent as the grimm's as she aimed Blush's barrel behind her and fired again.

This time the scabbard collided with Wilt's pommel, and the katana lashed out in a direct thrust that plunged right through the beringel's chest dead-center and fired them both across the clearing like bullets as she threw herself forward in a full lunge, the grin on her face now a wicked snarl. The goliath's heels dug deep ridges all the way through the dirt from where they were to the tree it ended up impaled to, Eve letting go of her sword to leave the monster pinned there as it tried to process the sudden blender it appeared to have jumped into. The look on Eve's face would've been unreadable to human and grimm alike, half-hidden behind her mask as she took her time watching this most humanoid of grimm struggle and snap at her weakly, pacing in an agitated way.

Before it recovered enough to start thrashing its way free in earnest, she slid Blush back into its gun configuration again and leveled the business end at the beast's armored face.

BANG

Roman suggested as he tried to place a hand on Eve's shoulder.
BANG

"Ah. So you're smarter than ya look. Enough to realize that threatening me would end very badly for you. Gotcha." The bandit maiden gave Eve a very sarcastic thumbs up.
BANG

"I'm the girl who kicked your ass and saved your life in the same night"
BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG-

The dim gloom of the clearing lit up with muzzle flashes again and again, and at a certain point the tormented roars of the beringel grew weak enough that a second, more focused, completely unhinged scream of pure rage overpowered them in the surrounding night.​

Last edited:
"I'm...sorry, Sienna, but I can't stand with you if you insist on working alongside Ozpin." The unmasked Ilia replied in a sad yet resolute voice. "No amount of weapons he gives, or dust he hands over, or promises he makes, none of that will ever be worth the price he demands in return. The longer you stay allied with him, the longer you walk that road..." Ilia turned away from Sienna to look pointedly at the other her. "...the more you'll lose yourself." She didn't know if this Ilia was anything like her beyond just appearance. If she ever wavered in what she felt she had to do, if she ever doubted the necessary sacrifices others said she had to make as a member of the Shadow Fang. Or...if they were just...fundamentally different, sharing nothing more beyond a name and a face.

Ilia tried to imagine how the Blake she knew would react to the Blake that was just outside this room. "..."

The chameleon pulled away from them both, shaking her head as she took a few steps back. "I appreciate that you'd want to protect me...but I can't accept. You're standing in league with a monster. A monster who ordered this-" She raised her scarred arm up. "-and used somebody who looks like my friend to do it. If mom and dad were here, and they saw me standing alongside someone like that..." She couldn't keep the tears from welling up in her eyes. Her gaze remained steady on the floor in front of her for almost a minute, quiet as could be.
"...hmph."

Sienna let her hand drop as Ilia pulled away, a bit of the warmth fading from her eyes at the distance. She shook her head and started the trek back to her throne.

"So be it. I will never force a faunus to fight. There's a recon team leaving for Mistral in a few hours; I'll instruct them to drop you off near one of the shore villages. This is, understandably, a very confusing time for you, and if you'd rather make sense of it out in the world than among your fellow faunus, I won't stop you. And if you change your mind, there will be a place here for you here. We will welcome you with open arms. But"

She reached her seat and turned to sit down in it with a predatory grace, and whatever kindness was in her tone finally drained entirely as she stared Ilia down.

"We do not give second chances. Your tale is proof enough that it's the right decision to not. If you decide that Ozpin is your enemy, we won't help you. If you decide the Shadow Fang is your enemy... Then you will die."

Ilia(2) had moved to the side to let the high leader by, and was waiting with her arms crossed behind her back at attention while the high leader spoke. Yet her eyes were studying this other her behind her mask, trying to make sense of this strange mirror of herself. There was a brief, hesitant move as the tears started to fall. Even if this other version of her didn't want to fight the fight, if there was anyone who understood the pain she felt about her parents it was-

"...I...can't stay, but...other me." She raised her head to look over at the masked Ilia. "Would they...mom and dad...would they be proud of you?"

She froze and sucked in a breath like the words had been a physical blow. Her mouth twisted into a pained frown, and when she finally spoke there was a waver in her tone as she let her hands drop to her side.

"...I guess we'll never know. But I know I'm never going to forgive the people who took them from me."

Her eyes met her double's from behind the mask, and her hands balled into fists at her side.

"I will get revenge. Do you think they'll ever forgive you, if you don't?"

The massive doors slowly ground open as the equally massive guards forced them to, and Ilia's path was clear. Blake was indeed waiting outside, leaning against the wall of the hallway with her arms crossed, and regarding Ilia with suspicion- Her calm, dangerous air shattered as she half stumbled off the wall when she saw the Ilia she knew standing next to the one from the other timeline.

Last edited:
"...yes, that is my arm, thanks for noticing?" One of Ruby's eyebrows raised as she peered back at Neo, who was staring deep into her silver eyes. "Yeah, pretty cool right? They can laser beam grimm to death." : )
"... o_o"

That explained what happened to the giant dragon.

Story? Eh, Neo and I have known each other since we were kids living up on Mt. Glenn. ...Till there wasn’t a community on Mt Glenn anymore.” Roman murmured, pulling down the brim of his hat. “Neo and I have been inseparable ever since then. Dunno what I’d do without her. Honest.”

Tapping the ground with Melodic Cudgel, Roman spared a brief glance up at the sky. We’d decided we were gonna be huntsman and life’s been taking us on one wild ride since then.”
"..." Nobody deserved to go through something like that, as far as Ruby was concerned. Not even enemies. Not that these two were enemies, despite...looking like it. "I'm sorry you went through something like that. Both of you."
There was a sadness in Neo's eyes and a dip in her shoulders As Roman told Ruby about Mt. Glen, but her smile didn't completely disappear. At Ruby's condolences she shook her head, and the grin turned sharp as she gestured towards the air where a miniature beowolf was being brought into existence by her semblance, finishing just in time to be shattered by a swing of hush before she shot Ruby a thumbs up.

“You were surprised to see me,alive that is. Which means the me you know probably kicked the bucket. ...Were we bad folks in your world?” Call it weird if you wanted but Roman wanted to know if his other self deserved whatever he got.

"...Yeah. You were." Ruby shook her head sadly. "You helped. With the attack on Beacon. The night it fell."

Wait what.

She'd missed that interaction entirely, having been separated from her team for most of the attack on Beacon. She glanced between the two, and slooowly inserted herself in the space between Roman and Ruby with a slightly protective frown as she pointed at her own eyes and then at Ruby's

"So be it. I will never force a faunus to fight. There's a recon team leaving for Mistral in a few hours; I'll instruct them to drop you off near one of the shore villages. This is, understandably, a very confusing time for you, and if you'd rather make sense of it out in the world than among your fellow faunus, I won't stop you. And if you change your mind, there will be a place here for you here. We will welcome you with open arms. But"

She reached her seat and turned to sit down in it with a predatory grace, and whatever kindness was in her tone finally drained entirely as she stared Ilia down.

"We do not give second chances. Your tale is proof enough that it's the right decision to not. If you decide that Ozpin is your enemy, we won't help you. If you decide the Shadow Fang is your enemy... Then you will die."

"....Understood." Ilia eventually managed to reply, that single word all she felt she could say after hearing all that. What else was there to say?​

She froze and sucked in a breath like the words had been a physical blow. Her mouth twisted into a pained frown, and when she finally spoke there was a waver in her tone as she let her hands drop to her side.

"...I guess we'll never know. But I know I'm never going to forgive the people who took them from me."

Her eyes met her double's from behind the mask, and her hands balled into fists at her side.

"I will get revenge. Do you think they'll ever forgive you, if you don't?"

The way she sucked in that breath, the frown on her other self's face, even the slight waver in her voice...all of it gave her a slight spark of hope that even if she couldn't help Blake with words alone, maybe...just maybe she could get through to herself. "But...they died in a dust mining accident. A Schnee Dust Company disaster. The same Schnee Dust Company being led by one of Ozpin's lackeys. You're standing with the very people who you say you'll never forgive, and for what? To take revenge on innocent people who didn't have anything to do with that accident? People who are just trying to live their lives as best they can, you're helping those who want to slaughter them. Where's the part where any of that makes sense?" The unmasked Ilia stepped closer to her counterpart.

"Are you sure you know which of us is the one that would need their forgiveness, if they could see us now?"

The massive doors slowly ground open as the equally massive guards forced them to, and Ilia's path was clear. Blake was indeed waiting outside, leaning against the wall of the hallway with her arms crossed, and regarding Ilia with suspicion- Her calm, dangerous air shattered as she half stumbled off the wall when she saw the Ilia she knew standing next to the one from the other timeline.

She met Blake's eyes with a glance of her own when the doors opened...the look of suspicion she saw staring back at her stung and she tore her gaze away towards the ground, feelings of sadness present in her eyes.

xBnNEZg.png

"Yeah, pretty cool right? They can laser beam grimm to death." : )
"....Wish my eyes did that..."
"I'm sorry you went through something like that. Both of you."
Roman smiled but otherwise waved Ruby off.

"A lot was lost that day. Stuff that'll never be replaced."

Roman reached out to gently ruffle Neo's hair.

"But as long as she's in my life, I have everything I could need."

**beat**

"Erm, sorry to get all sappy there...Neo..."

Roman felt his face growing warm as he lavished his partner with praise.

"...She means a lot to me."

To say what he really wanted to...Just wasn't the time infront of a relative stranger.
"...Huh. I helped with something like that..?"

Roman was hella surprised that the forces of evil in this Ruby's world wagered him competent enough to help with something like that. Like always though, Neo and him stuck together. Even when the goal was to ruin other people's lives. That being said, given that this Ruby was surprised to see him, Roman put two and two together.

"The other me died during it, didn't he?"

Roman's eyes narrowed.

"...Because if he did? Then good riddance, if Beacon fell in your world then more people probably died and I was party to it. Well, he was anyway."
She'd missed that interaction entirely, having been separated from her team for most of the attack on Beacon. She glanced between the two, and slooowly inserted herself in the space between Roman and Ruby with a slightly protective frown as she pointed at her own eyes and then at Ruby's
"I guess if there's any consolation, it's that no matter what we're doing, Neo and I are always together."

The other Neo's Roman being dead sure did explain a lot though. Well, not the sadism but why she kept trying to snatch him up/push his Neo out.

"During the fight, we ran into well, guess you'd call her your world's Neo. She looked older than mine, meaner too, hotter too and...well" Roman looked down at Neo. "She, uh, basically tried to take MY Neo's place..Guess I know why now at least. Did you get a chance to meet the Masque, Ruby? I mean like one on one?"

"... o_o"

That explained what happened to the giant dragon.
"....Wish my eyes did that..."

"Yeah, really cool." Ruby fistpumped at what she saw as confirmation of that coolness present in her eyes and his voice.​

There was a sadness in Neo's eyes and a dip in her shoulders As Roman told Ruby about Mt. Glen, but her smile didn't completely disappear. At Ruby's condolences she shook her head, and the grin turned sharp as she gestured towards the air where a miniature beowolf was being brought into existence by her semblance, finishing just in time to be shattered by a swing of hush before she shot Ruby a thumbs up.

iZrNm7O.png

Wait what.

"Oh hey, no no I won't, I mean you don't have to worry about that from me. We're on the same side here, yeah?" She held her hands up placatingly.​

Roman smiled but otherwise waved Ruby off. "A lot was lost that day. Stuff that'll never be replaced." Roman reached out to gently ruffle Neo's hair. "But as long as she's in my life, I have everything I could need." **beat** "Erm, sorry to get all sappy there...Neo..." Roman felt his face growing warm as he lavished his partner with praise. "...She means a lot to me."

To say what he really wanted to...Just wasn't the time infront of a relative stranger.

ca6Kcxd.png

"...Huh. I helped with something like that..?" Roman was hella surprised that the forces of evil in this Ruby's world wagered him competent enough to help with something like that. Like always though, Neo and him stuck together. Even when the goal was to ruin other people's lives. That being said, given that this Ruby was surprised to see him, Roman put two and two together.

"The other me died during it, didn't he?" Roman's eyes narrowed. "...Because if he did? Then good riddance, if Beacon fell in your world then more people probably died and I was party to it. Well, he was anyway."

"Uh-huh." Ruby replied, answering both questions. "He...um..." She wanted to be honest but she could already feel the sheer awkward that would come. The honesty won out though and she continued. "...he kinda got eaten whole by a big griffon..., a grimm that I then kicked into the command deck of one of General Ironwood's ships...which exploded. Violently. A lot of fire." Ruby was tapping her fingers together nervously by the end, averting her gaze from either of them.​

"During the fight, we ran into well, guess you'd call her your world's Neo. She looked older than mine, meaner too, hotter too and...well" Roman looked down at Neo. "She, uh, basically tried to take MY Neo's place..Guess I know why now at least. Did you get a chance to meet the Masque, Ruby? I mean like one on one?"

"Wait what?!"

tFKP8fv.png

"She's here too???" That was news to Ruby, a problem that she had not expected to have to deal with. One that she wasn't sure how she'd deal with either. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that. "...Yes. I met her. It...wasn't a good time." She answered, clearly conflicted on her thoughts about the Masque.​

“Same, big man. I’m right there with you on that.” She smirked, pointing with double finger guns right at him. “Plus, yeah, we have the occasionally useful team MTEN with us too! Maybe this’ll be one of those occasions that they’ll pull their own weight. Not to mention this Ruby and her family.”

Mercury, always eavesdropping on everyone at all times (forever), took a very loud slurp of his soda from behind Cinder as she let those words slip. He raised his eyebrows, glancing around for his fellow former team leader in Watts.

"Hey Art, what's team MTEN's record against you guys in sparring class look like again? Did we have the bigger number, or the smaller one? I always forget."

He definitely didn't.

"Hey, where'd you get that?" Emerald interrupted, pointing towards the soda.

"Bandits."

"Did you get me one?"

"Nope."

"...he kinda got eaten whole by a big griffon..., a grimm that I then kicked into the command deck of one of General Ironwood's ships...which exploded. Violently. A lot of fire."
latest

Roman grinned waiting for RUby to reveal she was fucking with him.

She wasn't.

"Oh. Wow. I'm dead dead..."

He then shrugged his shoulders.

"Eh, no hard feelings. Different world, different me. Might explain why the other Neo is so mad though..."
"She's here too???" That was news to Ruby, a problem that she had not expected to have to deal with. One that she wasn't sure how she'd deal with either. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.
"Oh yeah! She killed a couple of Atlas grunts, fought Nikos with my Neo. Then my Neo totally styled on her and knocked her out. I'm sure that's the last we'll see of her." Roman casually waved it off. "As for the Masque, well I guess I'm not too surprised. Everywhere you go, someone's got a tall tale to sell you about her. Gotta be rough living life like you're a urban legend."

6ea2f7acc1bfe74315111f08ace254a19653dd3e.gifv

That most assuredly was NOT the last they'd see of her!

She'd do what this Ozpin wanted, for now. All if it meant making him hers.

Still didn't know why she'd been stuck with Nikos and the B-Team though.

Yes, that included Yang : )​

Mercury, always eavesdropping on everyone at all times (forever), took a very loud slurp of his soda from behind Cinder as she let those words slip. He raised his eyebrows, glancing around for his fellow former team leader in Watts.

"Hey Art, what's team MTEN's record against you guys in sparring class look like again? Did we have the bigger number, or the smaller one? I always forget."

"Tch." Cinder turned around as she grunted dismissively, waving a hand just as dismissively and brushing that off. "Sparring matches are one thing but hey, maybe you can remind me of something, Mercury, while we're on the subject of forgetting stuff. Who was it that stopped a whole ship of dust from getting robbed, put Valkyrie behind bars and thwarted a Shadow Fang train attack on Vale, again? Hrm?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back