• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shog

The Infinite Being
There was a lot of hype building up to this update, and now that it's here I just can't help but feel disappointed.  This site had so much personality that I feel is just straight up missing now.  Besides that I just have a few basic complaints.

This is normally where I'd break out some BBCodes to make this post look more interesting and condense my information, but I'll just work with the list function now (yes, I know I can still use spoilers, accordions, and tabs, but I thought this would drive my point home)

• Starting with BBCodes, these new replacement functions are just pathetic.  The table is dull with the inability to merge columns or rows, the horizontal line is boring at best (but I will grand that it does have some uses still), though the accordions, tabs, and I assume spoilers are ok.  Then there's the sticky note option.  I have never seen this used and cannot recall a moment where this would add anything to an RP.  They could have kept the email or text BBCode, which I have seen and used on many occasions.  In fact, I used the email one frequently in my last RP (which is now screwed beyond repair due to the lack of working BBCodes).  I can't use image floating, change background color, previously mentioned email and texting, a paper background, change my font, use a field set, etc.  Wile the new way to insert them is much more user friendly, it was not worth getting rid of the others to get it.  The BBCodes acted kind of like a face for this site.  It's one of the first things I thought of when thinking of this site and added some of the most distinguishing characteristics.  Now it's gone.  RPN has lost it's face.
  • So what if I don't want to just "like" a post?  Before I could give rating such as: helpful, hype cookie, spook, great scene, fun RP post, funny post, emotional post, character development, and so on.  Even though it's just a small detail, it added personality to the site that I personally loved.
  • On a similar note, the new emotes just straight up suck.  They are bland and generic.  The previous ones were specific to this site and had great diversity among them.  I could show a crying face if I was sad, an ecstatic face, a cutesy shy/happy face, and so on.  Part of the problem is that they all link directly to faces we can make with our keyboard.  Good luck making an angle, devil, or disguise face with that limitation.  They aren't horrible, but very generic.
  • One of the worst offenses, however, is that we no longer are following anyone or have followers.  I'm not saying that function doesn't exist any more, I'm just saying that it completely cleared those lists.  It's bad enough for me, who's been here for about 2.25 years, but then there is my good friend @Kestrel who I'm sure racked up over 100 followers in her time here.

So things could definitely be worse, don't get me wrong, but this is just pathetic.  What I'm hoping is that a bunch, if not all, of this changes and becomes more like the RPN we all knew and loved.  I would be perfectly happy with another 24 or more hours of site downtime if that meant these could be fixed.  Please notify me here if any of this changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye.. the biggest issue I see is the fact nothing was done to really try and transfer over the old to the new. While its a bit understandable having such a drastic change not having say BBC converted in full (ideally having as much functionality if not more then the old style, even if just used by choice) it still would of been a lot better having things converted over. Right now I can't understate how lost I am with this new layout with so much of what I've done that seems to be pretty much lost. It makes the new site design even more intimidating and that much more difficult to adjust to.

It feels like if I was just joining this site today I'd be at a huge advantage over someone who has been using the site for some time now, with old users having so much 'maintenance' of their own to do to get back into things and get to where they were before. I'm open to change but having it change so drastically with virtually nothing carrying over with it involving the users to do a large amount of leg work to get things back to the way before it feels more like a burden then an upgrade.

Definitely seconding this. Nothing's really been touched in the feedback forum, but I'm sure the staff would need to see a second opinion like this.

And before somebody swoops in to remind us that it's under construction, I don't mean to be rude, but most of us have heard it already. However, I wouldn't have minded waiting another day or two if the construction would have taken less time. I'm sure we're all patient. ; )

I mean, for example, we have a post like this from the old BBCode update thread:

image.jpg

And I totally get that this wouldn't be possible from the get go, but again, we could wait, and it would be worth even a week if we could get back more of our old functionality.

I agree with this, and I can only hope that my opinion changes as more developmental updates roll in.

For now, being someone who puts a bunch of effort into their Character Sheets, the fact that there're so many limitations compared to BBCode is... Upsetting, to say the least. Furthermore, we don't have control over Font, Colors (other than the defaults supplied, of course), Backgrounds, modifications to Tabs and Accordions using Borders (as Borders don't exist -- not that it'd mater much, as I'm not able to modify the colors/fonts/etc. of Tabs/Accordions now anyways) and more. For now, it's not even a matter of adjusting to the editor, it's simply me looking at the new editor and seeing it as a complete downgrade from the previous format. BBCode was old, yes, but if you got used to it you could do wonders.

Now, I think even if I got used to this new editor, I'd still be unable to make posts with the same level of detail as the old version...  But once again, I'm hopeful that this will change within the next week.

I second that I would've preferred 10 times over if they had waited until the site had full function before letting everyone back in. I think it would've minimized the confusion and the disappointment. Quite honestly, none of my rps have been transferred yet and until they have been transferred, I literally have nothing to do here but ask questions and complain. They would've gotten rid of all of that had they made us wait a while longer and had tutorials prepared for more than just creating an rp. That is the ONLY tutorial that exists right now (or at least an hour ago it was). So all we need to know how to do is create an rp? No... I use this site for so much more than that. I feel they could've taken the time to have us wait while they made the site actually functional for when we came back. Currently I cannot rp in my rps. The site has no function. 

I'm extremely disappointed in this update. Everything is fairly hell to use outside of making new group. WHICH is easy, and is the ONLY good thing from this update aside from the new themes. 90% of my threads are unwatched or straight up gone. 1x1's are to frustrating to use in PM's now. The PM scroll thing is annoying as hell.

I'm sorry but little thought was put into doing this. Beta Testers should of been did, a trial run should of been did, or at the very least the update should of been finished and shit and made sure things wouldn't break to some degree. Or at-least finished to the degree staff said it'd be.

I second that I would've preferred 10 times over if they had waited until the site had full function before letting everyone back in. I think it would've minimized the confusion and the disappointment. Quite honestly, none of my rps have been transferred yet and until they have been transferred, I literally have nothing to do here but ask questions and complain. They would've gotten rid of all of that had they made us wait a while longer and had tutorials prepared for more than just creating an rp. That is the ONLY tutorial that exists right now (or at least an hour ago it was). So all we need to know how to do is create an rp? No... I use this site for so much more than that. 

I had only one RP I was working on when the site went down (just in case something like this happened) and it is now unusable.  It was a VRMMORPG (think Sword Art Online with magic, races, classes, and no one was trapped) and only the main thread reappeared.  I probably could get the rest of the tabs transferred over, but if I couldn't all of the information regarding the mechanics, the skills each race can use, the skills each class can use, the map, the guilds, and the items are all lost.  Going back to assuming that everything could get transferred over, it would be unreadable garbage now that the old BBCodes mean nothing.  I was assured beforehand that I should be able to keep everything going after the update, but that clearly isn't the case.  (Sorry for ranting like this)

I'm extremely disappointed in this update. Everything is fairly hell to use outside of making new group. WHICH is easy, and is the ONLY good thing from this update aside from the new themes. 90% of my threads are unwatched or straight up gone. 1x1's are to frustrating to use in PM's now. The PM scroll thing is annoying as hell.

I'm sorry but little thought was put into doing this. Beta Testers should of been did, a trial run should of been did, or at the very least the update should of been finished and shit and made sure things wouldn't break to some degree. Or at-least finished to the degree staff said it'd be.

Oh yeah. I know it would take some getting used to, but honestly, this is a bit farther than that.

What I really would have liked was a warning. For example, a warning that we would be switching from XenForo to Invision, so that we'd lose our followers and emotes, a warning that the staff wouldn't help us save BBCode so we could save it on our own, or a warning that our tabs on old threads like Sign-up or others wouldn't be carried over, so we could, again, save it. It just hurt for us to go in blind and come out reeling in this update without much preparation.

I had only one RP I was working on when the site went down (just in case something like this happened) and it is now unusable.  It was a VRMMORPG (think Sword Art Online with magic, races, classes, and no one was trapped) and only the main thread reappeared.  I probably could get the rest of the tabs transferred over, but if I couldn't all of the information regarding the mechanics, the skills each race can use, the skills each class can use, the map, the guilds, and the items are all lost.  Going back to assuming that everything could get transferred over, it would be unreadable garbage now that the old BBCodes mean nothing.  I was assured beforehand that I should be able to keep everything going after the update, but that clearly isn't the case.  (Sorry for ranting like this)

I feel you. I had a organization tab set up for my RP and I can't find it whatsoever.

Oh yeah. I know it would take some getting used to, but honestly, this is a bit farther than that.

What I really would have liked was a warning. For example, a warning that we would be switching from XenForo to Invision, so that we'd lose our followers and emotes, a warning that the staff wouldn't help us save BBCode so we could save it on our own, or a warning that our tabs on old threads like Sign-up or others wouldn't be carried over, so we could, again, save it. It just hurt for us to go in blind and come out reeling in this update without much preparation.

I meant threads in my post, but yes. I agree completely. There's one thing to transfer to a different source, there's another to transfer over and know nothing about it to the point you can barely help anyone. THEN be sarcastic and vague when issues arise.

I heavily agree with the BBCode statement and I'm just really confused on the new BBCode.

All my old stuff in my Private workshop might as well just not have been transferred given that it's now just a wall of text code that is no longer valid............

I feel especially bad for all the people who had BBCode shoppe's and now It seems all their work is invalid. 

To be fair, we were given a sort-of warning, however,

1. It was buried over in the fourth page of a quickly-posted update thread, which most users wouldn't have checked

2. When the information was given, it wasn't put anywhere public for people to see it better

3. The wording was sort of so-so. Nobody knew if he was going to snapshot it or not. In fact, it actually gave me an incorrect sense of security. I remembered it as "we'd snapshot it", but I totally forgot about the last part until I look back at it again. Thus, I'm not sure if this was a good enough warning to warrant using it as one.

Post in question:image.jpg

I mean, I wouldn't say it was bad communication, and in fact, I think the staff were a bit flooded with all the feedback from this thread, but in case someone ever tires to bring it up against you, here we go.

People, check the @OfficialRPN Twitter page. There's a link on that to a set of patch notes (which you can find here: https://www.rpnation.com/news/invisioning-the-future-rpn-20-r1/). If @The Dark Wizard is to be believed (and I'm really not sure i can trust him now, after this update's terrible launch), the forum software got switched from XenForo to something called Invision Power Board, explaining how a lot of these issues arose. On top of this, if I'm reading it right, there's something called the "rebuilding process" that will take the next few weeks to complete, that is supposed to solve most of these issues when it's finished. It's not really clear as far as I can tell. You should talk to @The Dark Wizard about it.

Honestly... I know I'm probably gonna get dinged for this... and I hope that the mods understand this isn't personal, because I KNOW you're working your tails off, and that's appreciated, especially bearing in mind you're doing it for free... but this? This is heart breaking. And I'm not even one of those people that lives and breathes RP. This is just about losing a LOT of extremely hard work. Fact of the matter is, you opened the site half-assed... and from what I've read, you knew it wasn't done. And I understand that the idea was to not keep it down for so long that people got aggravated by the wait, but when you said "the site's back up" people expect a finished product. Or at least a product that was accessible. Not a hot, confusing mess.

And I'm sorry, but telling people to be 'patient'? Not a GREAT way to encourage a progressive attitude. It's condescending and frustrating, when all of our hard work is basically trash right now, and all of our posts are unreadable. LITERALLY unreadable, because it looks like BBCODE drunk-vomited all over the site and you can't make out actual writing... from busted code. Maybe it'll fix - but how do we KNOW that?? And the idea of having to edit every single one of my 5000+ posts in order to readjust to the new code??? You DO understand that's impossible, right?? And even if -I- had the time and energy to do that, I can't even edit older posts right now...

Furthermore, you said nothing would be missing... yet I'm down 700 rating points, followers/followees, my bookmarks, and have none of my old profile content - including my info page, status updates and notifications. And MAYBE they'll come back. But how do I know that for sure? And how am I supposed to RP in the meantime?? How can I trust any of what was said, when what we were promised... wasn't delivered? This isn't about being patient. It's about having expectations completely shattered in a really bad way. It's about feeling like substance was completely thrown out the window in favor of style. Do I LIKE some of the new options? Sure? They're nice, I guess. But I like being able to RP better...

I understand that 'coders' are kind of 'frowned at' apparently, because God forbid we invest time, energy and heart into something that not everyone enjoys - apparently that makes us some wicked 'clique' or something... but MY Lord.. We're still members... and this? This feels like a big middle finger directed right at us.

So, instead of lecturing us about how the site is in progress or telling us to 'be patient'... maybe be patient with us?? Cause I think we're entitled to be a little anxious/upset right now...

I most definitely agree with everything said here (I don't need to read them to agree). This new updated site looks less appealing, as the last site was efficient and cool and...modern, I guess is the word for it. Also, the "Roleplay" tab at the top of the page is gone, when it was perfectly fine where it was. After all, this is a site dedicated to roleplay, isn't it?

The lack of BBCode is sad at best and horrendous at worst. Looking back at my old RP, the first page is now dull and terrible because the blockquote can't be used and the image isn't showing up. And the emotes are just so blah; I miss the old ones. They had an expression for everything and I legitimately enjoyed them.

The cleared list of followers and following is sad too. What is up with that? True, I only followed 3 people...but 2 of them were staff! I followed them because I knew I'd need to. The fact that now I'll have to go searching for them makes me sad.

Where is the interest checks forum? I haven't seen it or caught wind of it. That was where I posted my (WIP) ideas for roleplay! Sure, when I find it, this comment will be moot, but still! Why is everything so hard to find now?

Honestly, if the site could be changed back, I would definitely say "yes" to it. I've seen site updates before, but this one I give a big fat thumbs down.

And to think, I was so excited to back on here. Now, because of this update, I cringe when I'm ready to log on.

Does anyone know how to tag people? I see that it's possible, but my Dark Wizard mentions are just showing up as ordinary text.

Honestly... I know I'm probably gonna get dinged for this... and I hope that the mods understand this isn't personal, because I KNOW you're working your tails off, and that's appreciated, especially bearing in mind you're doing it for free... but this? This is heart breaking. And I'm not even one of those people that lives and breathes RP. This is just about losing a LOT of extremely hard work. Fact of the matter is, you opened the site half-assed... and from what I've read, you knew it wasn't done. And I understand that the idea was to not keep it down for so long that people got aggravated by the wait, but when you said "the site's back up" people expect a finished product. Or at least a product that was accessible. Not a hot, confusing mess.

And I'm sorry, but telling people to be 'patient'? Not a GREAT way to encourage a progressive attitude. It's condescending and frustrating, when all of our hard work is basically trash right now, and all of our posts are unreadable. LITERALLY unreadable, because it looks like BBCODE drunk-vomited all over the site and you can't make out actual writing... from busted code. Maybe it'll fix - but how do we KNOW that?? And the idea of having to edit every single one of my 5000+ posts in order to readjust to the new code??? You DO understand that's impossible, right?? And even if -I- had the time and energy to do that, I can't even edit older posts right now...

Furthermore, you said nothing would be missing... yet I'm down 700 rating points, followers/followees, my bookmarks, and have none of my old profile content - including my info page, status updates and notifications. And MAYBE they'll come back. But how do I know that for sure? And how am I supposed to RP in the meantime?? How can I trust any of what was said, when what we were promised... wasn't delivered? This isn't about being patient. It's about having expectations completely shattered in a really bad way. It's about feeling like substance was completely thrown out the window in favor of style. Do I LIKE some of the new options? Sure? They're nice, I guess. But I like being able to RP better...

I understand that 'coders' are kind of 'frowned at' apparently, because God forbid we invest time, energy and heart into something that not everyone enjoys - apparently that makes us some wicked 'clique' or something... but MY Lord.. We're still members... and this? This feels like a big middle finger directed right at us.

So, instead of lecturing us about how the site is in progress or telling us to 'be patient'... maybe be patient with us?? Cause I think we're entitled to be a little anxious/upset right now...

Amen. I've lost a hell of a lot of progress on an RP I've ran since December. The threads for it are just straight up deleted, yet nothing is supposed to be gone. I myself lost a good 4,000+ rating points, all my followed threads except for a few, followers, followed. I don't even know what to do anymore. It's not even about the BBCode for me, it's the fact that a ton of shit was lost and staff are literally brushing it off like it's nothing. I feel for those that BBCode, I do.

But this affected everyone. We were promised a finished site where everything was transferred, minimal things were broken, and shit actually worked. I would of been PERFECTLY fine waiting a few more days for the site to be up, or even for the update to not happen yet! This update is nothing but a disappointment and causing people to leave. The only reason I haven't is because I've made a lot of friends on this site and such. All of this could of been avoided if staff actually took time to learn the new source or worked more on the update before posting it.

Does anyone know how to tag people? I see that it's possible, but my Dark Wizard mentions are just showing up as ordinary text.

I assume it still works like normal.  Just @username(extra here because username is an actual user) and it should work.  I guess I don't know if it notifies them, though.

Few minutes on and I already hate the new look.....it's like looking at an app on my comp.... P:

Reaaaally want the old look back now and then this can totally just be the app version of the site, if they can do that.

It was much simpler nothing convoluted and unnecessary...Perfect for an rp site and note some fb knock off. If they can't I'll still give it a try but in all honesty! This update was not worth it and looks super crappy...either the admins should have waited or just upgraded some parts of the old site. That old version was barely a year and a half old anyway.

Tagging doesn't work on mobile I don't think. Also, not only is the functionality of the site in shambles, but so is the layout. I remember them saying that they mimicked the old site appearance but it honestly just looks blocky and boring. In addition to the fact that there is no real separation between posts in a thread, it's all gone to hell. 

I now see why they kept so much about this update a secret. 

If I could sum up this update, from what I've seen, I'd have to use the word unprepared. 
Everyone involved with RPN- users, staff, contributors who picked up the tab of donations- seems to have been unprepared in some way for it, and now we're all paying the price.

I mean this as no personal offense to anyone, but the way this update has rolled out is embarrassing. Promises of minimal bork were unfulfilled, the layout is counter-intuitive, and the editor is basic at best. I realize that there have been promises to continue rolling out updates for the editor, but I have no trust that these will be fulfilled- or at least to the capability of the old site. 

Users were not informed that RPN would be switching to Invision, which gave us no warning for losses like emotes, different ratings like hype cookies or 'helpful' life rings, or rating points en masse (which I suspect to be caused by the loss of everything but basic likes). One could argue none of these are essential to roleplaying, which is RPN's main function, but even the most basic functions of roleplaying have taken a hit. 

We were lead to believe that roleplays would have to be manually transferred over but were never told of the loss of most of the tabs besides the main ones. As others have said, had I been forewarned, I would have saved my characters and other writing off-site. And the character sheets I do have? Swamped with BBCode tags and useless to me.

There seems to have been no beta testing, no attempt to seriously work out how much this update would change the site. If I may, I think I have a metaphor apt for this update: You and your older brother are out back by the lake. He let you know this morning that he was going to throw you in, so you're a little wary. But there's no way to prevent it, so you can only brace yourself. You figure that it'll be a little cold, but once he throws you in, you realize it's bordering on freezing. When you let him know, he says to be patient- the water will warm up soon. Even still, you're this close to leaving the lake.

I just want to clarify something before I go do bed.  If you look I've liked all but two posts in this thread thus far.  It's not because I'm one of those people who compulsively likes everything for some reason.  I don't get why people do that (especially when they don't respond and have the prefect opportunity to).  No, I liked those posts because I genuinely liked and agreed with those comments.  And great metaphor @Nonagon.

People, check the @OfficialRPN Twitter page. There's a link on that to a set of patch notes (which you can find here: https://www.rpnation.com/news/invisioning-the-future-rpn-20-r1/). If @The Dark Wizard is to be believed (and I'm really not sure i can trust him now, after this update's terrible launch), the forum software got switched from XenForo to something called Invision Power Board, explaining how a lot of these issues arose. On top of this, if I'm reading it right, there's something called the "rebuilding process" that will take the next few weeks to complete, that is supposed to solve most of these issues when it's finished. It's not really clear as far as I can tell. You should talk to @The Dark Wizard about it.

I think most of the people here have seen that post and understand why this is happening, but the fact that it did happen and most of us were unaware until we came back, read that post, and staggered into the wild unknown, is what they're mad about. Just communication and the fact that it happened. Also, not to rag on your suggestion, but Dark's probably flooded with support posts. Not that that's supposed to stop him, but if he doesn't shot up, that might be why.

I don't think you're going to get dinged for this, since we've got a pretty decently-sized outcry going on here. In fact, I'm sure everyone here has got each other's backs, if only just by disappointment. Now we can only hope they'll notice posts like Shog's, Mitch's and yours...

Honestly, I think the removal BBCode went a bit too far, considering that we were advertised a perfect-replacement system. In the thread, unsure people were reassured that it would contain the same functionality... yet here we are. And at the same time, people cheered on the change because they wanted cliques gone, or as Anomaly said, some concerns were hipster, superior concerns, and that didn't help BBCode's case. I mean, I'm no BBCode expert who makes design bend to his fingertips. But I've spent a damn long time learning it, and while I don't want others to suffer the same way, the negative light BBCode code earlier might have spurred this change.

At the same time, though, I feel like I've sort of exploded after this last update. I did have my doubts about the update when it was first announced, but I kept it to myself because I didn't want to get on its case before it got released. Similarly, some of my friends like GingerBread who were more vocal about their discomfort were told to wait until they saw the finish product, or not to knock until they've tried it. But know, I mean, I've tried it, and I'm knocking now. I still don't want to get fully upset because that would be uncivil and probably sap value from anything I said, but by whatever you believe in, I've got a lot of beef with this update too.

Okay I have not delved too deep into the new layout which is not lagging on my phone but, I know things will not go well. How do I know? I try to log on. I entered my password wrong, it happens to everyone, but suddenly I'm locked outed my account for 15 minutes. I'm sorry but I get locked out after one attempt? How? How is that a thing? I can understand after four attempts but not one! I think it might be a glitch but that's still frustrating. Because I had to wait 15 minutes to log on! Also I must say the fact that none of stuff transferred over, like followers and such, is sad. I just hope the rp I'm in gets transferred over with my characters. If not, I'll probably leave the site. I've been between laptops and don't have all my CS saved....I worked really hard on them and if they are gone I'm gone too. 

Gotta agree with that. Every single RP I've been in, active or inactive, all my posts there have been messed up. From what I've seen, the character tabs, locations tabs, everything is gone. Every single hour I've put into coding is gone. The BBCodes don't work anymore. Now it just looks like a virtual tornado of broken coding came through and destroyed everything. You've seen it. All our codes are just gone. No more colours, no more pictures, no more everything.

For the new members to this site, it'll probably be a lot harder to navigate than before. I've been here for more than a year, and I honestly liked the old version a hell lot better than this. To check someone's profile out, you just had to click on their profile pic, and out pops a small summary. Now it just takes you to their profile page, which resembles Facebook to an uncanny degree. It doesn't show our online statuses anymore. 

I've also got to agree to the fullest extent about the followers. A lot of us have racked up a fairly large amount during out time here, but when the update came out, they were all gone. It's probably kind of hard to take in for those who had more than a thousand followers. 

I know, I'm probably just going on an angry rant here, but quite a lot of people downright hate this update. Yes, I know it isn't complete yet, but if it stays this way, people are going to leave. Go find other sites. I'm convinced it's turned some people away from donating. This used to be one of my favourite sites on the Internet, for its great community, beautiful RP pages, and easy navigation. Perhaps that community is still there, but the other two aren't. Face it. This has become more of your average social site than a place to properly roleplay on for fun.

But this is just all in my opinion. I don't know how many other people agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back