• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any saltiness happening here, just criticism FINALLY being listened to... Something that didn't happen before the update. Sadly only the hyped yes men were listened to.

Aaaaand this happened. The functionality is an issue and so is the entire format of the site. Something that was brought up before it happened but glossed over with pretty much. 'It's fiiiine it's fiiiine!' and a rather vague answer.

If you honestly didn't know what this so called 'upgrade' did then it should not have happened. Period. And now all I hope is that either it's super fixed or somehow reverted to the old version(that's super hope though)

Because it's pretty obvious that is what everyone is feeling and does seem to want now after seeing this mess...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any saltiness happening here, just criticism FINALLY being listened to... Something that didn't happen before the update. Sadly only the hyped yes men were listened to.

Aaaaand this happened. The functionality is an issue and so is the entire format of the site. Something that was brought up before it happened but glossed over with pretty much. 'It's fiiiine it's fiiiine!' and a rather vague answer.

If you honestly didn't know what this so called 'upgrade' did then it should not have happened. Period. And now all I hope is that either it's super fixed or somehow reverted to the old version(that's super hope though)

Because it's pretty obvious that is what everyone wants now after seeing this mess...

The update needed to happen. Sorry. We had an outdated forum software that was lacking support for fundamental addons. This will not be reverted, but it will be fixed.

It was barely a year and a half old and worked perfectly fine!! Where was the actual need to upgrade like this? When there was really nothing at all wrong with the old system....the tabs were glorious as were the prefixes and the fact that it didn't shoot you all the way to the top whenever you clicked on new page. It was perfect just the way it was and worked far better for more people.

This version really really looks too much like sad version of facebook and most if not all of the features everyone loved are gone.

Aaaagain. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It was barely a year and a half old and worked perfectly fine!! Where was the actual need to upgrade like this? When there was really nothing at all wrong with the old system....the tabs were glorious as were the prefixes and the fact that it didn't shoot you all the way to the top whenever you clicked on new page. It was perfect just the way it was and worked far better for more people.

This version really really looks too much like sad version of facebook and most if not all of the features everyone loved are gone.

It was more than a year and a half old. Much more.

It's @The Dark Wizard 's site, and the staff update it when they feel it needs to be updated. :3

I'm not that surprised by how upset people are with the update, and I can really see why. It's all new, and different, and I have no idea how stuff is meant to work yet. Still, I'm one to try to think the best of people, and I read through the explanation of why the update was made. I've read how they're going to continue working on things and updating them and suchlike. And after reading that, I think I really understand why this update had to happen, and why it is happening the way it did.

Why did the site have to update? Well according to the explanation given, it's because the site was on track to breaking with the current system. Perhaps it would have been okay for a while, but eventually it would have broken. I'm a firm believer in the principle of changing things quickly if things are going to have to be changed. The change was a necessary one. It's not going to undo itself because that would defeat the purpose of changing what the site is using to run.

Why did they get rid of BBcode? Well because it doesn't work on this program that the site is currently using. From what I learned from reading all those pages of questions and answers about the changes, they can't put the old system of BBcode back in because it's outdated, but the same customization is going to be made available. It's just going to take a bit to learn it, but that's how it has to be.

Why didn't they wait until the site was "finished" before launching? Several reasons I think (and I hope I'm not being presumptuous by assuming that these are the reasons). Firstly, people want to be able to rp. There were people waiting for the site to be back up so that they could spring right back into action. I know that I certainly was one of those people. It's back up, and now I can rp in new rps or via PM. Secondly, they're going to continue updating more and more and working out bugs and all of that. Waiting to finish every little thing would take ages for it to count as finished. It's a functional site at the moment, and while not everything is polished and complete, it works. (Thirdly, after catching up with this thread, they needed to put it online to start converting threads over)

There's a ton of work that needs to be done, and I've got a ton of respect for all the effort being put into this site by the mods. I'm no programmer, but I know that just getting things up and running takes a lot. And I've got no doubt that there's still work going into getting everything converted, and there will probably be more work that will go into making things look a certain way (several themes are available for use which is pretty neat, and the notification system is working well). My view is that all of the remarks made prior to the update were addressed at least once, and that mods are still running around helping people and explaining things as much as possible. I'm not going to say that there is nothing to complain about, change is a difficult thing, but I honestly think that the site administrators and mods deserve nothing but respect. Programming is hard, and dealing with people who are upset is hard. And yet here they're doing it all to try to make things as easy as possible.

This update had to happen, and people are going to disagree on whether that was a good thing or bad thing, but it was a necessity. And considering that, I think some time should be given to let things smooth out. This wasn't done for kicks, or to make things easier. Heck it's probably going to be very hard for the people who work on this site. It's understandable to be disappointed, but I'd encourage people to not give up yet. More than being patient, I think people should read through the explanation given to us, and follow along with the updates as they continue to be made. We might have to wait a bit to see formatting updates or other changes made to the overall functioning of the site (it seems the main focus now is the manual conversion of rps), but I know that the staff are passionate about this website and are going to keep working hard for us. I think it's important to encourage them and focus on constructive criticism (though personally I think we should hold back on the latter for a bit until the chaos dies down).

I will once I'm not dying of sleep deprivation and trying to help the peeps, promise. <3

I'm on the same sleep-deprived boat. I'm sorry people are being abusive. I'm a magger of a card and game store and they treat me horrid because I'm female and I work 18 hours a day (I think I honestly don't know anymore. Last day off I had, I had to get fillings done on my teeth). So I know how it gets. It's no fun and rage beast wants to break out. Especially when people criticize things and give little to no good advice on how to deal with things. 

Not with the most recent update to it and even if it was, there was still nothing wrong with it at all. It worked so well and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was perfect in how it functioned.

It truly did not need an update like this, Especially when it wound up this broken in the end...

I extremely miss the old rpn right now. This site just......it's not the site I fell in love with and I fear all of my old rps will never be the same with things so messed up right now and many long time rping people on here too. I truly loved it here but whatever the staff chose to do with it right now feels like it was 100% a horrible mistake or at least that it wasn't planned well at all. It feels like RPN has been killed off and replaced by a shitty doppleganger that will never be as great.

Not enough time was put into this update at all and now we all have to survive the aftermath and hope to find old forums...

No, no, it was like this for half a decade, with tiny, tiny improvements here and there.

Then again, for the longest time, I've been running around on mobile, the runt of the lot, so I'm pretty used to the abuse that mobile users receive all the time. The site's change is really nothing to me, so all these complaints are looking to be really, what's the word, asinine? Forgive me, English was not my first language. It's just a load of humdrum that will eventually be fixed, and all this talk of "UGH, THEY CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS, I'M UNSUBSCRIBING, SERVES THEM RIGHT, I'M A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS, MY DEPARTURE WILL HURT THEM SUPER BAD MMMYESS." is seriously unnecessary. Shut the fuck up, my mini mega bitch vision lets me read passive aggressive aura. 

I seriously hope that criticisms are and will be just criticisms (for those who did just offer constructive criticism, and not try to take potshots at our staff who stayed up for an entire day just to make this site even work only to get fucked in the ass by a bunch of gangbangers, I thank you all, and know that I shall keep you in my heart. Probably.), and not attempts to deride our staff, who, as mentioned, worked their ass off for this.

Give it time, support them, point out the things they missed without being fuccboiis, and maybe, just maybe, this site would just improve.

But i don't know, I'm the guy with 8 warning points in my bank. What's my word against everyone else's amirite haha

All followers and following are gone! I mean yea okay I get its a big and new update but I'd like to know who's online now!! That I'm pals with I had a ton of pals from the many years I've been here now!! All gone!!!

All followers and following are gone! I mean yea okay I get its a big and new update but I'd like to know who's online now!! That I'm pals with I had a ton of pals from the many years I've been here now!! All gone!!!

You'll have to refollow - unfortunately, followers glitched and were lost. ;-;

I'm on the same sleep-deprived boat. I'm sorry people are being abusive. I'm a magger of a card and game store and they treat me horrid because I'm female and I work 18 hours a day (I think I honestly don't know anymore. Last day off I had, I had to get fillings done on my teeth). So I know how it gets. It's no fun and rage beast wants to break out. Especially when people criticize things and give little to no good advice on how to deal with things. 

My typos hot damn.....I should stop importing cards and maybe go home or sleep.....or eat....... I think eat.......

Not with the most recent update to it and even if it was, there was still nothing wrong with it at all. It worked so well and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was perfect in how it functioned.

It truly did not need an update like this, Especially when it wound up this broken in the end...

I extremely miss the old rpn right now. This site just......it's not the site I fell in love with and I fear all of my old rps will never be the same with things so messed up right now and many long time rping people on here too. I truly loved it here but whatever the staff chose to do with it right now feels like it was 100% a horrible mistake or at least that it wasn't planned well at all. It feels like RPN has been killed off and replaced by a shitty doppleganger that will never be as great.

Not enough time was put into this update at all and now we all have to survive the aftermath and hope to find old forums...

Honestly, if you've decided to hate it from the get go, it's not that surprising you don't like it. Confirmation bias and suchlike. But I get it, things are different and confusing and it's not a seamless transfer. And even if it was it's still change from something you like, and that's never fun.

The staff have been working really hard though. From what little I know of programming, that much is obvious. Yeah things aren't working perfectly, that's often how things turn out. I don't think that they will stay that way though, and I know that you know that the staff aren't out to make you miserable. They want to make a site that's going to be something we all still can enjoy.

One thing I think is very important to point out though. Yes, it was working perfect for you. It was working perfect for me too. If this change was made just for the hell of it, I'd be grumpy about it. (Still understanding probably, but definitely grumpy.) But the truth of the matter is that it wasn't functioning perfectly for everyone. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean that it didn't break for some people. Or that it was going to start breaking more frequently. The update was made to prevent the site from deteriorating and breaking. That's why it was made, and I think that should be considered when weighing criticism.

So I get that people are upset about there being issues, really. But, can we just take a step back?

It's a website, run by volunteers, that is free. Putting aside how hard it actually is to run a website in and of itself, things are being transferred to one system to another here, OF COURSE there are going to be issues. Trying to convince yourself that waiting on the release would fix everything is deluded.

And like, comon, guys, I see people are trying to cite that there was no need to update, and like, so what? Just because things are nice doesn't mean you can't make them nicer. Change ain't your enemy, yo, you probably aren't in a retirement home yet, so try and stay YOUNG and HIP and HAPPENIN', while you still can ;P

Also, losing followers. Wee wow, imagine getting alerts for EVERY POST everyone you were following made, on this release day. I dunno about you guys, but I think that'd kill me.

Also Meredith I hate to bother but I'm in my phone and I cannot find the place to report bugs. I would like to report the whole password thing just so it's known to the peeps fixing and working on the site that, that happened but I'm not seeing the report a bug thing :/  if I am just being blind tell me. I feel like it's in plain sight but, that I'm just missing it lol

Nevermind!!! I found it! I can do things! I can be not missing things in plain sight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Meredith I hate to bother but I'm in my phone and I cannot find the place to report bugs. I would like to report the whole password thing just so it's known to the peeps fixing and working on the site that, that happened but I'm not seeing the report a bug thing :/  if I am just being blind tell me. I feel like it's in plain sight but, that I'm just missing it lol

I'm unsure about this and about to pass out. Ping a staff member who's online, maybe? @The Dark Wizard or @DemonKitten should probably know. I.. need to sleep. Goodnight, you guys

You can report it right here: https://www.rpnation.com/forum/327-feedback/

I'm testing it out a bit and this system is waaaaaay more complicated than rping ever needs to be....do we really need a bazillion places to click just before we got to the main rp area?!

Just make it a regular old forum site without all the extra BS  -.- We don't need things like hosted projects. And actually....if you made the forums as simple as the places to ask questions just with tabs that would be far better than whatever ya got goin on right now. It's gonna scare away new people and clicking 5 different things just to get to the main rp part is not too fun.

Or maybe just keep the banner thing and make it tabs if you can, maybe, possibly?? or something simpler?? Seriously, that would redeem this update a  loooooot! All hail the mighty tabs that were perfect. Sure made it easier to load things on every device.

Getting rid of tabs was definitely a pretty stupid thing to do imo :/

thank you Kestral! I knew I was missing it lol I need to follow Meredith and go to sleep before I start asking about gods know what 

What Tabs?

You mean

these ones?

faber est suae quisque fortunae

palma non sine pulvere

pecunia, si uti scis, ancilla est; si nescis, domina

So I'm not gonna go on a huge rant because the update didn't effect me but it effect a lot of people close to me so that's my beef with it. But idk if I didn't see it or something but if it wasn't finished a lot of this would have been avoided if we were given a simple warning on what was happening I read the news stuff but it didn't say it wasn't done. Well to my knowledge it didn't but all in all I can't wait until the update is finished so I can see the final product because so far it's not bad it just has some things to fix and it's good. Again if I missed the whole warning about not being done or something that's my bad but that probably would have saved a HUGE amount of headache on your end I just hope it finishes soon because school starts in a few weeks and it's just gonna be a lot harder.

I'm testing it out a bit and this system is waaaaaay more complicated than rping ever needs to be....do we really need a bazillion places to click just before we got to the main rp area?!

Just make it a regular old forum site without all the extra BS  -.- We don't need things like hosted projects. And actually....if you made the forums as simple as the places to ask questions just with tabs that would be far better than whatever ya got goin on right now. It's gonna scare away new people and clicking 5 different things just to get to the main rp part is not too fun.

Or maybe just keep the banner thing and make it tabs if you can, maybe, possibly?? or something simpler?? Seriously, that would redeem this update a  loooooot! All hail the mighty tabs that were perfect. Sure made it easier to load things on every device.

Getting rid of tabs was definitely a pretty stupid thing to do imo :/

You need to click twice to get to an RP thread.

Give it some time to get used to before you dismiss it like this. It just came out, of course it's going to seem foreign. You're basically asking for the removal of options and customizability right now. New users aren't going to know the difference between the new system and the old one.

Aight, I'm coming in here for a second. Yes, I was AGAINST this update. I dreaded the idea from the start, but I did try to do my best to just suck it up and keep an open mind. Today was the hardest day to keep positive. And, even now, I am battling. I don't care about a whole lot right now since I am stunned to a stupor... but all I wanted back was one single thread... and I can't get that back. Yes, I threw a tantrum and shit because the shit that made me calm and relax after work and real life stresses is gone. And, what's been replaced is docs. Word docs. A forced system of docing. And, yet... I held on to the one hope that the "seller" of it was amazing to make my thread idea come to life... was lacklaster and shit. BUT!!! BUT...

I am at least giving a month. One month from today to see if things change for the better. Things are organized. Things are put in place. Righted. We move on and start testing the system. Start making threads again. But, if nothing changes and the frustration remains, by all mean, I'll act. Do what I need to do.

I think the most painful think about it is my badge I have. The recognition I got... for BBCoding. That, out of everything... hurts the most. Because, it's just a junk bond as of now. I hope that things change. I hope that there will be meaning to that recognition again. Hell, I want other people to wind up being recognized for similar things. I mean... people have ways to have fun. I accept it. I... just want to have fun creating again. Forgot how shitty my life is and make things pretty and have it with my content.

but in the old system you only needed to click once and everything was there in basically once place and didn't jump you around everywhere. The jumping around is pretty unnecessary...especially since functionality is far more important than customization. Could care less about customizing things....I just want things to be easy to work with.

If a forum is great it doesn't need all these bells and whistles....all that matters is the story the people weave together and  nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back