Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Lol those were examples. The point I'm trying to make is you only roleplay in one universe that you made yourself. What people are trying to explain is that other people play in many different universes that they create for different plots.

so that being the case if you are putting characters in entirely new universes than it is more difficult to reuse characters from old universes.

for instance I have one roleplay that takes place in a fantasy world where supernatural creatures are the primary force on earth and humans are considered clever meat.

so if I were to take one of those humans who live in a world where supernaturals run everything and I were to put it in a different universe :

for instance a world were women fly around in mech suits fighting aliens.

the first human won't fit because they are from a different universe with different rules.

Maybe I did not make myself clear in my posts.   I just edit my characters here and there to fit in whatever world is necessary within the character's abilities.   You can edit any character to fit into the world, especially if you know them well enough.  I believe you thought that I only selfishly played with my own things and never branched outside that, that is not the case.   I do several roleplays in other people's settings with my character's abilities/backstories just slightly edited :)

Ditto what Grey said. I think the problem is that people assume romance is the default because the people who want pairings are the most vocal.

I don't mind romance for me it's more the people who think they can dictate your characters that turn me off. Like they basically have a fan fiction scripted in their head and they want you to play very specific part and if you deviate from that part prepare for sulking and hissy. fits.

that is a major deal breaker for me too. when people want you to pair with them, but dictate who your character is and expect you to play a part in their thoughtless smut fan fiction. while i don't mind the occasional romantic or even perverse roleplay on an alternate site that allows it. i really don't want people dictating my character's physical features or style of dress to fit their own desires. using Umbrie as an example, Umbrie is legally adult by human standards, but has a petite and childlike figure, is short, and generally wears cute and alluring but modest fitting clothes. short skirts with thighlength stockings are fine, as are modest fitting swim bottoms worn with a hoodie. but don't even dare to dictate Umbrie into a Thong and don't you dare dictate her having a massive cup size when her youthful figure is one of the core features of her character. Umbrie is cute but alluring, not hot and slutty. she is a Nymph, not a Nympho. species of faerie is the correct definition,

Bland, one-sided characters.

Having someone try to go god-mode on me.

"I only play females."

"We HAVE to double."

People who don't pay attention to detail.  Missing or misinterpreting something here or there is one thing.  Blatantly disregarding what you've written more than twice in say, two posts, is a deal-breaker.

Just... bad writing. Period.

Weird OOC. You know, the kind that makes you realllly wonder about the person on the other side of the screen.

I think what he means is literally a character created for a specific story. As you are essentially making canons for your own original worlds or using originals from a fandom. A lot of people however do not stick to pre-estabilished worlds when roleplaying. Several people will make all new worlds for each roleplay.

In that sense using a character from for instance a world where dogs guard the souls of the dead and putting it in a world where cyborgs team up with djinn to fight space demons. Well your obviously going to have some kind of disconnect.

For the record, I know it's supposed to be hypothetical, but I would totally join both of those roleplays.

Bland, one-sided characters.

Having someone try to go god-mode on me.

"I only play females."

"We HAVE to double."

People who don't pay attention to detail.  Missing or misinterpreting something here or there is one thing.  Blatantly disregarding what you've written more than twice in say, two posts, is a deal-breaker.

Just... bad writing. Period.

Weird OOC. You know, the kind that makes you realllly wonder about the person on the other side of the screen.

God-mode is distasteful always.

Ask first, is my rule.  

Don't just take my character and walk him or her through at least a week's worth of RPing in one post without my consent.  I'll tear your skin from your bones.

I once had a roleplay partner who called me a godmodder for timeskipping their character through about half an hour's walk from one location to the other by herself >.<

Nothing even happened, and they admitted it themselves even. But they were still upset because that's apparently controlling their character.

Maybe I did not make myself clear in my posts.   I just edit my characters here and there to fit in whatever world is necessary within the character's abilities.   You can edit any character to fit into the world, especially if you know them well enough.  I believe you thought that I only selfishly played with my own things and never branched outside that, that is not the case.   I do several roleplays in other people's settings with my character's abilities/backstories just slightly edited :)

Again that only works if the worlds are similar. But that's just a matter of roleplay style really. 

for me I don't care if you use a premade or new character. As I've seen both styles done well and poorly.

For me the problem is when you put no effort in your character at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once had a roleplay partner who called me a godmodder for timeskipping their character through about half an hour's walk from one location to the other by herself >.<

Nothing even happened, and they admitted it themselves even. But they were still upset because that's apparently controlling their character.

i had somebody complain on another Site that Umbrie was a Godmodding Mary Sue because i simply held out my Dagger in front of me and Clotheslined their 47th Generation Cyborg Warrior who was Running at Mach 5 because i pointed out the logic that they would have to slow themselves down a lot to actually regain control of their movements, and there was no way to dodge effectively at that speed. i applied physics and killed their godmodding munchkin cyborg by clotheslining it with a knife to the Guts. then after i was trampled, i simply respawned an hour later because Fey usually respawn shortly after being killed. meaning they don't permanently die, but you can still get the satisfaction of thinking you killed one. because while the old body fades out of existence with its gear, the new body returns with the gear of the old, but has to retrain muscle memory from scratch from the point of their physical apparent age. so i actually won that fight, and Cyborg Whined and Moaned, bitching to a moderator that he should have been able to dodge, when i pointed out, that at his speed, he had not enough time to slow himself down and not enough time to react to being clotheslined, then when i regenerated into a newly created body. i let him know it is a standard perk of fey creatures in the Touhou Project and Dungeons and Dragons Universes, as well as mythology.

I agree which is why I make balanced rpc's. That would make me beyond irked.

i try to make balanced characters. Using Umbrie as an Example again. as a Nymph, she is immortal, but she is also extremely sickly. she lacks the physical endurance possessed by a healthier nymph and is barely better than an adult human who is physically fit, but not Olympian quality when it comes to strength or endurance. she might be faster than an Olympian track runner and have Quicker Reflexes than an Olympian Martial Artist, but that is most due to her enhanced sensitivity, enhanced reflexes, small frame and enhanced speed working in conjunction. but a professional wrestler or weight lifter can ruin her day. the reason she was able to clothesline the cyborg, was because of her perception and reflexes. she didn't need strength to use the foolish godmodder's own momentum against him. i mean, she respawned, but she can do that once per hour. and if she already respawned that hour, it takes her another hour to do it again. i mean, her speed isn't anywhere near Mach levels and she has killed faster opponents by clotheslining them. but the common way to Godmod on Ani is to Run at Impossibly Fast Speeds and somehow think you can dodge a clothesline that was readied against you. Fantasy or Not, you are not Running at Mach Speed and somehow miraculously dodging a clothesline at the right moment. i mean horses can't dodge clotheslines, and that is how pikemen beat horses. running 20 times to speed of a friggin horse means death by clotheslining,

i had somebody complain on another Site that Umbrie was a Godmodding Mary Sue because i simply held out my Dagger in front of me and Clotheslined their 47th Generation Cyborg Warrior who was Running at Mach 5 because i pointed out the logic that they would have to slow themselves down a lot to actually regain control of their movements, and there was no way to dodge effectively at that speed. i applied physics and killed their godmodding munchkin cyborg by clotheslining it with a knife to the Guts. then after i was trampled, i simply respawned an hour later because Fey usually respawn shortly after being killed. meaning they don't permanently die, but you can still get the satisfaction of thinking you killed one. because while the old body fades out of existence with its gear, the new body returns with the gear of the old, but has to retrain muscle memory from scratch from the point of their physical apparent age. so i actually won that fight, and Cyborg Whined and Moaned, bitching to a moderator that he should have been able to dodge, when i pointed out, that at his speed, he had not enough time to slow himself down and not enough time to react to being clotheslined, then when i regenerated into a newly created body. i let him know it is a standard perk of fey creatures in the Touhou Project and Dungeons and Dragons Universes, as well as mythology.

i try to make balanced characters. Using Umbrie as an Example again. as a Nymph, she is immortal, but she is also extremely sickly. she lacks the physical endurance possessed by a healthier nymph and is barely better than an adult human who is physically fit, but not Olympian quality when it comes to strength or endurance. she might be faster than an Olympian track runner and have Quicker Reflexes than an Olympian Martial Artist, but that is most due to her enhanced sensitivity, enhanced reflexes, small frame and enhanced speed working in conjunction. but a professional wrestler or weight lifter can ruin her day. the reason she was able to clothesline the cyborg, was because of her perception and reflexes. she didn't need strength to use the foolish godmodder's own momentum against him. i mean, she respawned, but she can do that once per hour. and if she already respawned that hour, it takes her another hour to do it again. i mean, her speed isn't anywhere near Mach levels and she has killed faster opponents by clotheslining them. but the common way to Godmod on Ani is to Run at Impossibly Fast Speeds and somehow think you can dodge a clothesline that was readied against you. Fantasy or Not, you are not Running at Mach Speed and somehow miraculously dodging a clothesline at the right moment. i mean horses can't dodge clotheslines, and that is how pikemen beat horses. running 20 times to speed of a friggin horse means death by clotheslining,

Very true only high speed movement technique I prefer is Shukuchi as it requires build up in usage of steps below it. Before using the true speed.

Very true only high speed movement technique I prefer is Shukuchi as it requires build up in usage of steps below it. Before using the true speed.

i am guilty of using Shroud Jaunting (Teleportation between the shroud and any connected plane to get extremely fast results, as taxing as physically running the whole distance and requires a sufficiently sized shadow to serve as the entrance and exit respectively) with a short cooldown attached and Shadowstepping (high speed movement that involves blinking back and forth between the material plane and the shroud to shorten distances while also being difficult to detect, even to those with planar senses. shadow stepping requires acceleration in the form of actual running to pull off but is also as taxing as physically running that whole distance rather than the time spent running. meaning if you cover a mile distance in 6 seconds with it, you are taxed as if you physically ran the whole mile normally. even if you covered it in less time)

Shadow Stepping is the more common of the 2, because it can be done as part of a full sprint and is more like a rebalanced Shunpo. while Shroud Jaunting ignores Obstacles and Hazards, Shadow Stepping Doesn't.

i am guilty of using Shroud Jaunting (Teleportation between the shroud and any connected plane to get extremely fast results, as taxing as physically running the whole distance and requires a sufficiently sized shadow to serve as the entrance and exit respectively) with a short cooldown attached and Shadowstepping (high speed movement that involves blinking back and forth between the material plane and the shroud to shorten distances while also being difficult to detect, even to those with planar senses. shadow stepping requires acceleration in the form of actual running to pull off but is also as taxing as physically running that whole distance rather than the time spent running. meaning if you cover a mile distance in 6 seconds with it, you are taxed as if you physically ran the whole mile normally. even if you covered it in less time)

Shadow Stepping is the more common of the 2, because it can be done as part of a full sprint and is more like a rebalanced Shunpo. while Shroud Jaunting ignores Obstacles and Hazards, Shadow Stepping Doesn't.

That's a interesting concept.

people who play games. if i have to comment something in your profile or whatever to accept your annoying and restrictive rules, i'm going to lose interest

people who play games. if i have to comment something in your profile or whatever to accept your annoying and restrictive rules, i'm going to lose interest

Weird, I've never heard of that before. Does that really happen? O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back