Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

I feel the same. I actually like playing male characters, so I don't at all mind playing a male to someone's female (in fact, I'd prefer it). And if all someone says is "I want to RP the female in this plotline, would be great if you could RP the male", I don't mind at all. What rubs me the wrong way is when people specifically wants you as a person to be male IRL... which I think is what you're all talking about anyway, and yes, I agree, it feels really wrong. I'll definitely avoid threads like that. Just seems like they're misunderstanding the point of an RP and they're instead looking for some kind of real-life relationship. Eugh.

Exactly. It's creepy when people act like this is a dating site that just so happens to feature text based dating. Like dude you want to find a SO than go to match.com or something.

I'm not even talking wish-fullfilment. I am talking when people outright think that they are in a romantic relationship with their partner IRL. Or people who don't understand that there is a difference between a fictional character and a real life person.

We're all here for escapism and to an extent wishfullfilment. 99% of us are not on here because we need a significant other IRL
Oh, I see. I haven't personally dealt with that with female RPers, just a few strange people who think roleplaying is like sexting.

One thing that I found really dodgy when I first tried doing a semi-romantic story with someone. So a bit of context, I saw a 1-1 post about someone wanting to be a Star-Wars character and I honestly breezed over the details and was like "Yeah sure, Star-Wars... let's do this!" Long story short, on my partners second reply; after setting the scene up was oddly... errotic, touchy in the literal-sense and personal in the sense of the two characters being in a relationship. Which naturally creeped the crap out of me so I left soon afterwards. Nothing was mentioned to me of the two being in a relationship other than 'it's possible they could get together'. Overall I guess it was a lack of clear communications between each players, what they had planned etc..

Kind of left a bad taste in the mouth for me and I don't see myself getting involved in romanticisms anytime soon.

One thing that I found really dodgy when I first tried doing a semi-romantic story with someone. So a bit of context, I saw a 1-1 post about someone wanting to be a Star-Wars character and I honestly breezed over the details and was like "Yeah sure, Star-Wars... let's do this!" Long story short, on my partners second reply; after setting the scene up was oddly... errotic, touchy in the literal-sense and personal in the sense of the two characters being in a relationship. Which naturally creeped the crap out of me so I left soon afterwards. Nothing was mentioned to me of the two being in a relationship other than 'it's possible they could get together'. Overall I guess it was a lack of clear communications between each players, what they had planned etc..

Kind of left a bad taste in the mouth for me and I don't see myself getting involved in romanticisms anytime soon.

Yeah the first thing I ask is always - Are you okay with platonic roleplays? Even if they're answering my ad where platonic is literally in the title. Because you never know with some people and how well they read your posts.

I do find it funny in some roleplays when a character gets rejected by another and decide to throw a massive sulk... in my book, if someone tries to ask-out my character? I might say no because the relationship hasn't built up to a point where any genuine feelings are felt at the time but I see no harm in trying something again later along the story. I have a huge dislike for whenever a relationship gets shoved down my throat like "THIS IS HAPPENING - END OF"..

Last edited:
I do find it funny in some roleplays when a character gets rejected by another and decide to throw a massive sulk... in my book, if someone tries to ask-out my character? I might say no because the relationship hasn't built up to a point where any genuine feelings are felt at the time but I see no harm in trying something again later along the story. I have a huge dislike for whenever a relationship gets shoved down my throat like "THIS IS HAPPENING - END OF"..

Well for characters as long as it's within their personality to act a certain way it doesn't bother me. I mean most of my personal characters are super chill so they aren't temper tantrum throwing sorts. But every now and again I'll play some haughty character that is fully up their own butt. And they would a hundred percent throw a snit if they weren't given the kind of attention they felt was their due.

I think the important thing is for me as a player to have a sense of humor. It's one thing for a character to act like a temper tantrum throwing jerk (especially if that's just the kind of personality they have). It's another thing for the player to be throwing a temper tantrum every time the story doesn't go their way.

Last edited:
Shy butterfly characters annoy the ever living piss out of me, but dumpster fire edgy OCs who hail from some kinda fandom or Mary Sues also make me take the piss.

content wise anything besides sexual stuff I'm fine with, ethical issues are far more interesting to play out than binary good vs evil, but far from a deal breaker.

also unearned romance, that just sucks.

So boy howdy did I find a new one today. So to set the stage I am you pitching someone an idea and I mention that I wanted one of the characters to be LGTBQA.

They said a really close minded AND sexist thing back.

So I dropped them like a hot potato because I am not talking to someone who is intolerant or close minded about non heteronormative people and characters.

When someone says they will play a canon character, but that they might be OOC with it. NOPE!!
When they want to force a romance between two characters ... Nah.

When someone says "Hey, I read your request thread here's mine in case anything pops out at you." Okay, that's fine. So choosing one of their ideas we plan and plot but then they say "Oh hey you can go ahead and make the starter." Why? It's your idea. Doesn't matter how much plotting is done if it's your idea then you do the starter at least that's how I feel.

Last edited:
When a character wants to have a homosexual relationship and you just want to be friends in a 1x1 rp of same gender XD

Putting MxM, MxF or FxF in your partner rp interest check. Because I don't write romance.

Seeing a group RP post because someone critical always ghosts just as things start getting good.

When a character wants to have a homosexual relationship and you just want to be friends in a 1x1 rp of same gender XD

This peeves me too. Like, not everything has to be romance. It can be fun and definitely has its place in certain story lines, but in many it just feels forced.

I'm a huuuuuuge nerd for RP that involves romance, but if you only want a romance, with zero substance or plot to drive said romance, it drives me absolutely insane, plus if you don't ask permission. I actually prefer if people ask to romance with me first, since I tend to only do it with people I'm comfortable it. (EX, we're already RPing with established characters, and you want to bring the relationship further. I have my boundaries that I very much want to establish before we go any further.) Once in an RP, our characters were about...five lines into interaction, and the dude kept pushing hard on romantic/sexual tones already. It was pretty disturbing to have his character try and pull mine onto his lap. I ended up not continuing the RP for obvious reasons, but that sort of behavior just turns me away. Is it really all too much to ask for permission?! I love romance, but it's a shame people don't want an actual plot to go with it. Slow burn for the win!

Other than that? I guess what others have said. Excessive errors in their writing, unrealistic characters, general immaturity when it comes to situations in RP. (If your character gets hurt, let them be hurt and don't get upset over it. Injuries can be great plot devices for internal and external character struggles.) Also...I may not RP with someone if they use emoticons just in normal conversations, like ":3 xD". Just not my cup of tea, y'know?

Instant forced romances, ugh. The bane of my existence, especially if the characters aren't even compatible. :')

This peeves me too. Like, not everything has to be romance. It can be fun and definitely has its place in certain story lines, but in many it just feels forced.

Dig that. I'll never understand why romance is so much of an immediate need to be quenched for some people—scratch that, for the majority of this 1X1 section.

Dig that. I'll never understand why romance is so much of an immediate need to be quenched for some people—scratch that, for the majority of this 1X1 section.
It's the same reason high school roleplays are so popular.

Everyone is familiar with the basic tropes and realities of high school, whether because you attended one in real life or you have seen depictions of one in pop culture. The same holds true of straight romantic relationships, if you haven't been in one yourself at some point you have at the very least seen depictions of one in pop culture.

So therefore it is really easy to write a romantic search because it's something people are universally familiar with.

Plus for some people it's about do-overs. People had crappy high school lives so they make a roleplay where everything went how they wanted/wished it to. Same with romance, some people don't have the luck in romance they could hope for. So they make roleplays where their romantic stories go how they want/wished them to.

Last edited:
When someone is gone for like a year or so, they come back to say "Hey I've been gone a long time but if you want to continue to roleplay with me again send me a message." Like why? No explanation for the absence, which I can understand life happens, but why would I have to be the one to send you a message? If you want to continue the roleplay you send a message or not.

1) Grammar. Specifically, the difference between you're and your, their and there and they're. It is NOT that hard to learn.
2) Misspelling a character's name, and not out of ignorance. If I correct it at least twice, and they keep doing it, it starts to pester me beyond belief.

a PAINFULLY obvious lack of interest! people type in many different ways, and tone is hard to read in text form, but you can for the most part tell when someone just doesn’t care. it gets me the most when someone responds to MY interest check. did someone hold you at gunpoint and force you to dm me? blink twice if you’re in danger-

1) Grammar. Specifically, the difference between you're and your, their and there and they're. It is NOT that hard to learn.
2) Misspelling a character's name, and not out of ignorance. If I correct it at least twice, and they keep doing it, it starts to pester me beyond belief.

As someone who regularly mixes up homonyms it isn’t about learning. Some people just have trouble with transcribing things from their brain into words.

I am fully aware of the distinct meanings of each word but due to a combination of autocorrect and my brain just mixing things up I consistently get them wrong.

I do at least mention it if someone is concerned about grammar though.

a PAINFULLY obvious lack of interest! people type in many different ways, and tone is hard to read in text form, but you can for the most part tell when someone just doesn’t care. it gets me the most when someone responds to MY interest check. did someone hold you at gunpoint and force you to dm me? blink twice if you’re in danger-

It honestly depends. Sometimes I will respond to somebody's interest check thinking "okay, I'm maybe interested in this idea". It's mainly to gauge exactly what they had in mind for it so I can better decide if I want to follow through with it or not.

Saw a lot of talk about face claims.

Against the grain here but I dislike using real people.
Mostly because I saw a game about soliders and one of the images was from a news paper report of how they had died in combat.

Now they just used google image search and didn't know this.

It did make me acutely aware that we were using other real people for our games.
The last thing I want is someone to google someone they lost and finding their image being used in one of our RPs.

Even if they aren't dead they could find themselves and be made uncomfortable.

I also agree though that anime tends to be common among low grade RPs.

I try to use drawings or art rather than the other options, but it does seem in a big way there is no good way to do a face claim.

Real people could be insensitive
Anime tends to be a warning flag
Drawings tend to be of a lower quality for actually showing a face (as well as seeming odd) and can have the same issue as anime.

So yeah we are participating in a written medium, so lets write about faces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back