Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

I was in a roleplay (great idea-good execution) which I left entirely because two people just randomly had their character banging in the woods in the midst of jail break opening scene.
...Lol... ...what???
I'm speechless

When I'm playing the male character to a female that is a straight up bitch however my character is expected to fall hopelessly in love with her and when he doesn't suddenly the female character has a childhood friend who has never been mentioned prior to this point. This childhood friend has no backstory no real personality other than he, yes another male character, loves the female character so now a not even love triangle has been created and focused on in yet another attempt to have my character fall in love with the woman because it's so much more appealing to have another character with the personality of chewed gum to create drama.

When I'm playing the male character to a female that is a straight up bitch however my character is expected to fall hopelessly in love with her and when he doesn't suddenly the female character has a childhood friend who has never been mentioned prior to this point. This childhood friend has no backstory no real personality other than he, yes another male character, loves the female character so now a not even love triangle has been created and focused on in yet another attempt to have my character fall in love with the woman because it's so much more appealing to have another character with the personality of chewed gum to create drama.
I not only loathe this in RPs, I loathe this trope in general... in absolutely everything else. It makes me so upset when I’m trying to enjoy a show or a book or whatever and suddenly, bam - “main character girl has a childhood friend that NOBODY knew about until now and he’s boring and useless and only exists to create unnecessary drama!!”
Man I hate love triangles with all my soul, lol

I not only loathe this in RPs, I loathe this trope in general... in absolutely everything else. It makes me so upset when I’m trying to enjoy a show or a book or whatever and suddenly, bam - “main character girl has a childhood friend that NOBODY knew about until now and he’s boring and useless and only exists to create unnecessary drama!!”
Man I hate love triangles with all my soul, lol
You and me both lol.

Yeah see I just go straight petty when that pops up. Just have my character internal monologue about what a bullet they dodged and how poor Childhood friend was in for a nightmare relationship with The Female Interest.

Note: This is something i've written up in a different thread but I thought it would be a giggle to throw it in here! :D

Okay, I know i'm about to sound rather condescending/elitist and you would be completely right for thinking so. I've done all kinds of Military-based roleplays from Modern day Russian paratroopers, taking on those 'pesky Westerners' to Commanding a Mech-Lance, engaging the enemies' right flank with a 120mm, Sabot-firing auto-cannon. From all these different experiences, with some very, very different people. I have come to dislike a few stereotypical characters that just always seem to pop-up in almost every, single, roleplay that involves any sort of military structure or theme. Whilst usually, I don't mind these folk; I often though find myself rolling my eyes and wanting to end it all..

*This is the time to look away if you're easily triggered, I know I am.*

1. The 'I want to be the highest ranking person here but I have absolutely zero idea on how to be an effective and flexible leader other than barking some rather questionable orders towards the more competent soldiers' character.
Yes, we all know that one guy/gal who wants to be Master-Chief from Halo; the hero that kicks gum and chews ass (I think I got that right?). Any other advice or suggestions from other characters are either simply ignored or the Master-Chief-wonna-be dedicates a full paragraph on how he/she is "IN CHARGE HERE!!!"... and that anyone else's ideas are worth zilch. When the combat starts, the Master-Chief-wonna-be completely forgets to give out orders to his/her troops and simply charges across the battle-field; magically avoiding incoming fire and in return, completely destroying several dug-in fortifications with little more than a 9mm pistol and pure patriotism to boot. Master-Chief-wonna-be does not know the words "positive feed-back" and will more than often focus on the cock-ups that occur during missions; handing out 'Drill-Sergeant' rants like it's 1969. "The war was lost because of YOU, scruffy private first class."

2. The 'I want to be a medic but I can't be bothered to do a bit of googling.' character.
Lost a arm? No problem, let me just slap some aspirin on that bad-boy and you'll be up in no-time. Whether the wounds the group sustains are minor or life-threatening, don't worry for the Magic-Shaman-Doctor will some-how have everyone back to fighting fitness with little more than some 'bandages' and 'experience'. Ask the Magic-Shaman-Doctor what Morphine does the human body and he/she will laugh confidently before giving a condescending answer of "I've been to medical school.. I know what Murpheen does, it re-grows lost limbs if applied in thick enough batches." Before kneeling by a head-less corpse and checking what-ever remained of the neck for a pulse.

3. The 'edgy sniper that says nothing to the team and acts like a total moody teen' character.
Contrary to popular belief, the sniper (depending on which military force we're talking about, but i'm British so...) was often employed more as a recon element than a 'lone wolf, crawling across no-man's land to snipe the enemy general from 5km away before hidng in the shadows'. Want to know what's on the other side of that hill? Send a fella to go have a peek. Since 'generic-sniper-#27' is far too busy hiding up a tree away from the squad, silently bitching about everyone and everything. However, when the chips are down; the 'generic-sniper-#27' will be able to one-shot half of the enemy force with his/her tacticool, 50.cal, silenced sniper-rifle. Not wanting to feel left out, the sniper will carry everything but the kitchen-sink in a back-pack and still do some gravity-defying parkour to a perfect sniping postion.

4. The 'I forgot to reload / 5000 round magazine' character.
The Video more or less explains it..

Last edited:
More or less things than I put on here before:
The person who doesn't die but apparently is in charge of making everyone else die
I've ran into this problem a lot with people just beginning to roleplay, and I facepalm so hard it hurts. They decide they can make themselves magic magic, and not die, while they manipulate the plot, making them the center of the roleplay.
The "perfect" OC or other character
Seriously, this is probably the worst. It sort of ties into the top one, but it's that one person who decides nobody will notice if they use words in their CS like "sexy", "skinny", or please forbid, "fabulous". I have seen all of these, and it's basically deciding a romance. Romance CS (s) I can understand, but I haven't done romance yet, so this is completely unnecessary.
Passive-Agressive roleplayer
The person who just "hints" at what they want, and expect you to give them it.
You should understand it by now.
The person who... Well, I'll explain.
It's who when you respond, then without a reply, an hour later, they ask "Still roleplaying?" -_-
No. Jus- just... no.
The person who leaves for a long time
So, I have to admit, I can be this person. Well, for a day. But the person who leaves for like three weeks... And just doesn't care... I understand slightly but I have had someone leave for two months, with another roleplay. It was... a painful two months. Later, they told me the roleplay was "inactive" and they would delete it. Me: "YEAH, CAUSE OF YOU." I really wouldn't care at that point, but I would be pretty annoyed that they had blamed it on me.
The one liner and the undescriptive person
So, this one... You've probably ran into this. The person who uses abbreviations in a quote, like "hey, r u comin' w me tnight?" My roleplay instincts cause me to just... Leave the conversation.

Well, after that long paragraph, I AM DONE!

Seriously, this is probably the worst. It sort of ties into the top one, but it's that one person who decides nobody will notice if they use words in their CS like "sexy", "skinny", or please forbid, "fabulous". I have seen all of these, and it's basically deciding a romance. Romance CS (s) I can understand, but I haven't done romance yet, so this is completely unnecessary.
Man, I totally agree with everything you said, but I don't at all think "skinny" is inherently a bad word to use to describe a character. It really depends on the context. For example, if someone described their character as "tall, skinny, beautiful, has a great figure" then yes. That would be annoying. But being skinny can also be a huge disadvantage. Such as... if someone described their character as "skinny, not fit at all, a bit weak, can't hold his/her own in a fight", then there ya go, that gives a character an instant disadvantage and gives them a logical weakness that can be dealt with interestingly and even developed.
But yeah, I agree, if someone's trying to describe their character as "skinny and gorgeous" then that can be a pain. I've definitely run into my fair share of people that describe their characters as being perfect and beautiful with no flaws and it's like... so boring...

Man, I totally agree with everything you said, but I don't at all think "skinny" is inherently a bad word to use to describe a character. It really depends on the context. For example, if someone described their character as "tall, skinny, beautiful, has a great figure" then yes. That would be annoying. But being skinny can also be a huge disadvantage. Such as... if someone described their character as "skinny, not fit at all, a bit weak, can't hold his/her own in a fight", then there ya go, that gives a character an instant disadvantage and gives them a logical weakness that can be dealt with interestingly and even developed.
But yeah, I agree, if someone's trying to describe their character as "skinny and gorgeous" then that can be a pain. I've definitely run into my fair share of people that describe their characters as being perfect and beautiful with no flaws and it's like... so boring...

Yeah I think it's always interesting how people make characters so pretty. I mean if your using a face claim than it's unavoidable. There are precious few pictures of ugly people or even moderately unattractive people that are drawn/taken.

But there is no reason you can't describe your character as being plump or overweight or with a long nose or whatever. Like perfectly average people have romances all the time. And for that matter last I checked most adventure stories or superhero team-ups or magical quests didn't have a looks requirement to join.

I once saw someone straight-up describe their character as so attractive that girls would fall in love with him instantly. That's basically preemptive powerplaying.

Deal breakers for me lately are people that ask very personal questions rather than asking about the rp. I've literally had someone question me on my gender and then follow up with wondering my age.

Roleplay wise, once we get into it, an OP character is usually the deal breaker. Another one is using text speak or sending me a few sentences of a reply. I also don't like my made up NPCs being given actions unless I give express permission, or my character for that matter. I absolutely hate it when people think it's ok to make my character have thoughts or give them actions like kissing their own character >.> Last time I had a "nope!" RP was last week. The guy literally teleported into her specific carriage and dragged my character to hell without my consent and nothing my character could do would stop him because apparently he had rock hard skin and no weaknesses. She didn't consent to being a bride and it was never discussed OOC. I didn't even bother replying I just left the group (this was on FB messenger)

Deal breakers for me lately are people that ask very personal questions rather than asking about the rp. I've literally had someone question me on my gender and then follow up with wondering my age.

Roleplay wise, once we get into it, an OP character is usually the deal breaker. Another one is using text speak or sending me a few sentences of a reply. I also don't like my made up NPCs being given actions unless I give express permission, or my character for that matter. I absolutely hate it when people think it's ok to make my character have thoughts or give them actions like kissing their own character >.> Last time I had a "nope!" RP was last week. The guy literally teleported into her specific carriage and dragged my character to hell without my consent and nothing my character could do would stop him because apparently he had rock hard skin and no weaknesses. She didn't consent to being a bride and it was never discussed OOC. I didn't even bother replying I just left the group (this was on FB messenger)

Well I think with NPC the whole idea is that both players control them. I was taught the acronym stood for Non-Player-Character and it was intended to be someone that everyone in the roleplay controls.

So that particular issue is more than likely some confusion on the term itself. Next time I would clarify that the NPC is under your own control specifically.

That said yes giving people responses without permission is a major dick move.

I once saw someone straight-up describe their character as so attractive that girls would fall in love with him instantly. That's basically preemptive powerplaying.

Also unrealistic unless the guy had some kind of glamour or something. Because ladies aren't all universally attracted to the same thing. See I am petty when it comes to that I would be like... Well my character is asexual so boom what are you going to do now? And if they pitched a fit about romance I would be like... Excuse you I said my character was asexual. So they don't feel PHYSICAL attraction. It's not my fault your character's personality is nonexistent/horrible and thus my character doesn't like them.

The most annoying is when you put down the character's sexuality, cause mine is heterosexual...
Also unrealistic unless the guy had some kind of glamour or something. Because ladies aren't all universally attracted to the same thing. See I am petty when it comes to that I would be like... Well my character is asexual so boom what are you going to do now? And if they pitched a fit about romance I would be like... Excuse you I said my character was asexual. So they don't feel PHYSICAL attraction. It's not my fault your character's personality is nonexistent/horrible and thus my character doesn't like them.
So yes, agreed.

The most annoying is when you put down the character's sexuality, cause mine is heterosexual...

So yes, agreed.

Yeah I find putting asexual down to be a really good test for romance partners. Because (once I explain what it means) the people that like to do well-written romance take it as fun challenge to come up with creative ideas for their romance. The ones that are shallow and lean heavily on their characters looks have their heads exploded because their precious mary sue is unable to bamboozle my character.

I wanted to be this level of petty, but I was worried the person who did it was inexperienced and I'd just be picking on a newbie.

I wanted to be this level of petty, but I was worried the person who did it was inexperienced and I'd just be picking on a newbie.

Well see the good thing about this is that it's only petty if they're acting in bad faith. If they're just new than your actually teaching them several things. Your teaching them about different sexualities and different ways of writing romance. So yeah it's a little petty but also it has the potential to be a real teaching moment if the person is willing to accept a new way of doing things.

The one ship that had the absolute best romance I was in that lasted a couple years was asexual. The first time they kissed, which was 2 years of rp basically to get to, was so special. Whereas it's just like "oh cool I guess" when a couple gets together and kiss before even knowing each other completely

Definitely when I see that the GM has absolutely no time to be running the thing. Inactive GMs are the kiss of death in RPs.

So people who ask for a specific gendered partner for romance.

Ex. I only do malexfemale romance so you must be a male.

It tells me two things.
1. You are going to waaaaaaaaay over identify with your character.
2. You think this is a dating site.
This is pretty much the reason why I'm a bit wary of playing the male in a hetero ship. I don't mind if people want a bit of wish fulfillment (I'd be a hypocrite if I did, tbh), but a lot of the time people let it get in the way of developing an engaging story.

This is pretty much the reason why I'm a bit wary of playing the male in a hetero ship. I don't mind if people want a bit of wish fulfillment (I'd be a hypocrite if I did, tbh), but a lot of the time people let it get in the way of developing an engaging story.

I'm not even talking wish-fullfilment. I am talking when people outright think that they are in a romantic relationship with their partner IRL. Or people who don't understand that there is a difference between a fictional character and a real life person.

We're all here for escapism and to an extent wishfullfilment. 99% of us are not on here because we need a significant other IRL

I feel the same. I actually like playing male characters, so I don't at all mind playing a male to someone's female (in fact, I'd prefer it). And if all someone says is "I want to RP the female in this plotline, would be great if you could RP the male", I don't mind at all. What rubs me the wrong way is when people specifically wants you as a person to be male IRL... which I think is what you're all talking about anyway, and yes, I agree, it feels really wrong. I'll definitely avoid threads like that. Just seems like they're misunderstanding the point of an RP and they're instead looking for some kind of real-life relationship. Eugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back