What's new

Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Theres a good number of small things that get to me

- Forced plot lines to the point where its overbearing
- Giving no effort/using one liners
- Trying to make the focus of the story around our two characters falling in love, even if the situation doesnt make sense.
- Godmodding or wicked op characters
- mary sue characters

Malphaestus

Schizophrenic Asperger
As a person with a lot of aesthetic interest with BBCoding and depth in character developement and character making, I can't help but look down on roleplays where no effort is made to expand the setting with details and effortlessly tossing out a character sheet the likes of which any form of toddler could spank out in a flash.

Oh, one thing that makes me walk away is god-modding... only if it's a big problem, though. If it's something small like one character implying that my character walked out a door (even when I never said they did), then it's mildly annoying but I can shrug it off.

What makes me entirely abandon an RP partner is when they god-mod pretty intensely. Like this one RP partner I had years ago; she was horrible at RPing, but she was my friend, so I felt a bit obligated to stick around. She was always writing about what my character did in spite of the fact that I literally never said he did any of those things. I kindly asked her to stop, but she didn't. At one point, her character told mine, "Don't defy my wishes! I was the one who murdered your parents all those years ago and I could do the same to you!" despite the fact that I never once said his parents had been murdered, especially not by her character, and she didn't even ask permission before weaving that particular detail into my character's backstory.

I've had other similar experiences, and those are the times I'll just up and leave the RP. That kind of thing drives me insane.

Oh, one thing that makes me walk away is god-modding... only if it's a big problem, though. If it's something small like one character implying that my character walked out a door (even when I never said they did), then it's mildly annoying but I can shrug it off.

What makes me entirely abandon an RP partner is when they god-mod pretty intensely. Like this one RP partner I had years ago; she was horrible at RPing, but she was my friend, so I felt a bit obligated to stick around. She was always writing about what my character did in spite of the fact that I literally never said he did any of those things. I kindly asked her to stop, but she didn't. At one point, her character told mine, "Don't defy my wishes! I was the one who murdered your parents all those years ago and I could do the same to you!" despite the fact that I never once said his parents had been murdered, especially not by her character, and she didn't even ask permission before weaving that particular detail into my character's backstory.

I've had other similar experiences, and those are the times I'll just up and leave the RP. That kind of thing drives me insane.
Honestly, in that particular situation, I would've had my character be like "The hell are you talking about? I just visited my parents last week, they were perfectly fine." XD

mon

if ever just the same
Hands down, people who make you carry plot and put no effort in continuing the RP.

I'm also very wary of RPers who have a history of ghosting or dropping without notice. I've caught a few rpers who would ghost me in RP conversations/rp planning and yet post interest checks looking for an rp. It makes me scoff. Why bump your interest check if you don't even have the balls to finish discussing? Or at least have the decency to say you've lost interest. I've blacklisted most of them to say the least.

Lastly, people who specifically and only write mxm rps. I have nothing against romance or mxm but based on personal experience, those who only do mxm fetishize homosexuals and undermine or romanticise the internal struggles of being gay. Not saying all mxm rpers do but I'm particularly unlucky.

Lastly, people who specifically and only write mxm rps. I have nothing against romance or mxm but based on personal experience, those who only do mxm fetishize homosexuals and undermine or romanticise the internal struggles of being gay. Not saying all mxm rpers do but I'm particularly unlucky.
This post is honestly throwing me for a loop because I only do MxM but at the same time I hate the yaoi fetishists so I agree with you but at the same time I'm offended for no reason

Same here. I think for me personally, I did MxM when I was just getting into RPing so it felt like a phase of writing to me as a young kid breaking into puberty and such. But I've dabbled in FxF but for me MxF is my comfort zone at the end of the day. I totally get people also prefer other pairs which I don't mind. But I'm open to adding same-sex pairs into the mix but to have people lock onto MxM or FxF and have some kind of weird obsession with the taboo than characters being naturally compatible, drives me up a wall.

I have no issues adding a same-sex pair to a hetero one if it'll help my partner feel better. But I feel like when I look for say MHA it's mostly MxM and it becomes a bit off-putting at how some fans can get with their pairs. I feel like some MxM just like it for the novelty than the genuine connection characters can have.

So I totally get where you're coming from and i'm so glad you put it so nicely.

mon

if ever just the same
Same here. I think for me personally, I did MxM when I was just getting into RPing so it felt like a phase of writing to me as a young kid breaking into puberty and such. But I've dabbled in FxF but for me MxF is my comfort zone at the end of the day. I totally get people also prefer other pairs which I don't mind. But I'm open to adding same-sex pairs into the mix but to have people lock onto MxM or FxF and have some kind of weird obsession with the taboo than characters being naturally compatible, drives me up a wall.

I have no issues adding a same-sex pair to a hetero one if it'll help my partner feel better. But I feel like when I look for say MHA it's mostly MxM and it becomes a bit off-putting at how some fans can get with their pairs. I feel like some MxM just like it for the novelty than the genuine connection characters can have.

So I totally get where you're coming from and i'm so glad you put it so nicely.
I'm glad to see that someone is able to understand what I mean and even elaborate so eloquently. :`)

Crysie

Shy 'n Bubbly Panda
One thing that makes me go nope out of an RP is one liners and not getting back what I gave. Like if I give say three good sized paragraphs, and the other side only gives me like four measly lines that doesn't push things forward or anything then it makes me lose interest very quickly. Then just people that drop one liners out of no where grind my gears and makes me go bye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)