Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

I agree with everything in that statement except the MBTI bit. While I think it to be ridiculous that someone would require you to have that, having a Myer Briggs Type for your character can actually be kind of helpful to keep your character consistent. The first letter can give you a rough idea of how they interact with people, and the last three letters give a pretty accurate description of how your character reasons or what their thought process for many given situations would be. Obviously, like you said, this wastes people's time on a character sheet (and anyone with any sense could probably just figure it out on their own through dialogue), but the types themselves at least help somewhat in terms of insight on that character and can be a useful tool to use on your own.

I agree that it can be helpful for the player to gain a bit more understanding of the facets of their own character's personality, but as a simple 4-letter score on a character sheet it tells the other players nothing. One ESTP may be vastly different from another, for example. That's why I always prefer to write out personalities in paragraph form or simply improvise until I have a solid ifea of where I want to go with my character.

I agree that it can be helpful for the player to gain a bit more understanding of the facets of their own character's personality, but as a simple 4-letter score on a character sheet it tells the other players nothing. One ESTP may be vastly different from another, for example. That's why I always prefer to write out personalities in paragraph form or simply improvise until I have a solid ifea of where I want to go with my character.
Now that statement I agree with entirely. They are erroneously called "Personality Tests" when really they only tell you the way you reason out things and come to conclusions rather than the way you interact with other people or act, which is what people would actually call a personality. I think it's ridiculous to have on a character sheet and really everything it could possibly tell you would be better explained in the 'Personality' section of your CS (i.e. some form of "[character] thinks with his/her heart and relies on their own judgement rather than overthinking everything" as opposed to, say, the "SF" in the middle of their score), but having the score personally at hand along with a profile of it couldn't hurt to have on hand.

Deal Breakers:
  1. Not feeling included in OOC: I am not the chattiest person on Earth, but if I feel uncomfortable to input my opinion about the roleplay, then it's a giant problem for me.
  2. Anime/Drawn Faceclaims: I just cannot do it. I am all about the realism and that just does not do anything for me. I am the type of person to craft an appearance of my character through words when I build my character sheet and half way through, I realize that a particular actor or something fits into my idea.
  3. Roleplays centered around k-pop stars: It really annoys me to death for some reason and it would be a hard no from me, unless the plot was so mind blowingly good.
  4. Characters that make not a lick of sense: There was this one roleplay I was in where my partner's character was kidnapped by mine's and she literally reveals key secrets that would keep her alive by the time we got to the second page. My character was a vampire and somehow she thought getting drunk and still managing to escape a hyper-sensitive, ear-hustling vampire was beyond me.
  5. Giant wall of text: My poor eyes weep for the headache you brought upon me.
  6. The single paragraph that looks like it might as well be two sentences: I really wish those people would just tell me they needed extra time to work on it.

Those are all I can think of so far. Thankfully, I have not been in too many terrible roleplays.

What's another deal breaker for me, pushy people. Especially when we haven't even established we will be writing a roleplay together yet a person finds the time to insult an idea but also proceed to take over another idea to say how it will go. Yeah, no. No.

Same as before. I can't stand a game master who has a, "it's my way or the highway attitude". A lot of gm's want to be my boss and are upfront about it. I can't collaborate with someone like that. I'm not going to be on less than equal footing unless you've proven that you're more than a glorified thread starter.

New one: gms who only want a yes man. Now I'm capable of kissing ass and being pleasant, but sometimes there are people who are so opposed to criticism. That it became a deal breaker. :(

Maybe this is silly but if the creator of the role-play has the idea's explanation in all in one huge awful to read paragraph I'm usually disinterested. Broken up paragraphs are much easier to read! This also prevents me from reading fanfiction, or anything really.

my most relevant "deal breakers" xoxo

× not enough detail: however, i most likely deviate from the norm from what i've read on other threads, and according to that information, my detail would be "filler". i don't want to write with little detail provided for the scenery and things going on around our characters. when you go outside in the real world it isn't centred on you nor is it quiet- even if you're in a serene meadow, there are still things going on around you. the chirping of birds, the sound of trees talking in the wind.

on another note: why is describing your characters thoughts while they're doing something considered filler? do you not have thoughts when you're going about your every day life? like. *muse a did this action* "dialogue" *bare minimum paragraph* that's so boring, no thank you.
GIVE ME DETAILS OR GIVE ME DEATH.

× dictating my character: please, for the love of god, don't tell me to change my face claim. i will not hesitate to drop that role play like a hot potato if you tell me who to play.

× spelling and grammar: it's insulting when you're a native english speaker and you can't even write properly. rpnation even has a goddamn spellchecker built into it and you're telling me obvious mistakes underlined in the red squiggly line doesn't catch your attention? no thanks man. the difference between 'your' and 'you're' is also so apparent but even that one is abused. i admit that i misspell words often in ooc chat because it's easier to type that way, but if it's in a post... just don't. and if any of you bitch at me for "centred" pick up a dictionary.

× aesthetic: another unpopular opinion but i'm very hesitant to enter a role play if you don't use coding. call me an elitist all you'd like, but i like my aesthetic. i type in a smaller font than the default. to everyone complaining about it: i'm legally blind without my glasses and i can still read the smaller fonts. if you don't put effort in the way your post looks, it turns me off. sorry not sorry.

my most relevant "deal breakers" xoxo

× not enough detail: however, i most likely deviate from the norm from what i've read on other threads, and according to that information, my detail would be "filler". i don't want to write with little detail provided for the scenery and things going on around our characters. when you go outside in the real world it isn't centred on you nor is it quiet- even if you're in a serene meadow, there are still things going on around you. the chirping of birds, the sound of trees talking in the wind.

on another note: why is describing your characters thoughts while they're doing something considered filler? do you not have thoughts when you're going about your every day life? like. *muse a did this action* "dialogue" *bare minimum paragraph* that's so boring, no thank you.
GIVE ME DETAILS OR GIVE ME DEATH.

× dictating my character: please, for the love of god, don't tell me to change my face claim. i will not hesitate to drop that role play like a hot potato if you tell me who to play.

× spelling and grammar: it's insulting when you're a native english speaker and you can't even write properly. rpnation even has a goddamn spellchecker built into it and you're telling me obvious mistakes underlined in the red squiggly line doesn't catch your attention? no thanks man. the difference between 'your' and 'you're' is also so apparent but even that one is abused. i admit that i misspell words often in ooc chat because it's easier to type that way, but if it's in a post... just don't. and if any of you bitch at me for "centred" pick up a dictionary.

× aesthetic: another unpopular opinion but i'm very hesitant to enter a role play if you don't use coding. call me an elitist all you'd like, but i like my aesthetic. i type in a smaller font than the default. to everyone complaining about it: i'm legally blind without my glasses and i can still read the smaller fonts. if you don't put effort in the way your post looks, it turns me off. sorry not sorry.
The size of your font makes me want to kms.

It's annoying to read. For someone who cares about how a post looks. You sure don't care about your own. :P
perhaps, just maybe, your post with the default font is annoying for me to read and i don't like the way it looks. hm. shocker. it's almost like someone's aesthetic is different from yours.

imagine that.

anyway, i posted my deal breakers and here you are nitpicking them, so i think we can both be civil and leave this be.

perhaps, just maybe, your post with the default font is annoying for me to read and i don't like the way it looks. hm. shocker. it's almost like someone's aesthetic is different from yours.

imagine that.

anyway, i posted my deal breakers and here you are nitpicking them, so i think we can both be civil and leave this be.
I would actually be encouraged to post more in the default font at size 12, if it triggered you.

Also are you getting angry lol? You made a public post with clear hypocrisies. To the point where I thought it was silly enough to respond to. :P

I would actually be encouraged to post more in the default font at size 12, if it triggered you.

Also are you getting angry lol? You made a public post with clear hypocrisies. To the point where I thought it was silly enough to respond to. :P
i'm not angry, merely annoyed that i can't have an opinion on this site without a child insulting it. i'm interested to know what hypocrisies you found, that is, of course, if these "hypocrisies" don't validate your own opinion.

Alright guys, let's not get off topic. If you'd like to discuss hypocrisies please take it elsewhere.

I'm sure all Bacon was trying to say is that a smaller font is harder to read that's all.

I'm also sure that e d e n is just trying to say that she likes smaller font because it makes her posts stand out, and it's personal preference.

Edit: That also goes for everyone else >.>

Not understanding when I'm joking or just trying to lighten the mood.

Having the gm as the main character instead of everyone getting the spotlight.

Being forced into ships

Subjects innapproperiate to the rp.
Aka:preschool teachers not caring about students, or students disregarding rules so entirely that irl they'd get expelled faster than you can say 'Eat my shorts"

;3 HIya hi

Alright guys, let's not get off topic. If you'd like to discuss hypocrisies please take it elsewhere.

I'm sure all Bacon was trying to say is that a smaller font is harder to read that's all.

I'm also sure that e d e n is just trying to say that she likes smaller font because it makes her posts stand out, and it's personal preference.

Sorry

thank you ;-; sorry for "feeding the fire" but the way they phrased it was antagonizing and i shouldn't have risen to the bait.

Subjects innapproperiate to the rp.
Aka:preschool teachers not caring about students, or students disregarding rules so entirely that irl they'd get expelled faster than you can say 'Eat my shorts"

i remember on a previous site one member kept trying to role play child abuse and it surprisingly never got the attention of the mods. i never understood why they'd be interested in role playing that but it was... concerning to say the least. also haylo.

my last defense is this: everyone has their own style. my eyesight is to the point where i'm legally blind without my glasses and i still use a smaller font. it's all a preference and i would rather not change it. you don't have to ever interact with me if it annoys you because i'd rather not change for someone, hence the point of my post. i write on this site because i like making things pretty with the code, on my fanfic site with no coding capabilities, i accept it. it's all a preference.

Interest checks that are comprised of anything along the lines of "hey does anyone wannna do a (genre) rp with me?"

And nothing else

The usual (god-modding, etc.).

However, I think the biggest "nope" for me is when, in the midst of a fandom canonxcanon roleplay, my partner insists on bringing in an OC for one of the canon characters they like. I signed on for canonxcanon (or in some cases OCxOC), not to make my partner's fandom crush fantasy come true. Especially if it breaks my ships. That's a definite no-no. Even if I'm not, I still feel forced into catering to my partner in those types of RPs, I guess.

So really, I just don't like canonxOC. At all. Ever. Nor do I like vampires or angels, and if those are mentioned I'm gone.

Bad grammar, spelling, punctuation, and lack of detail are also dealbreakers, as is straying from character to suit your own needs. Character growth is fine but don't do a 180 just because you feel like it.

If you took notice, which you probably did, I didn't mention anything about this person's actual ideas. I don't care if you leave an rp because you're a grammar nazi or if you believe there's no value in an rp if you think there's insufficient detail to join the rp. If I had wanted to actually attack that post, I'd go for the actual beliefs held by this person.

That was just a simple jab at someone who claims to have bad eye sight, but uses super small font.

I'm not a huge fan of double RPs, AKA 'I play your crush and my OC, you play your OC and my crush" because it just seems so limited. Not only do you have to make an OC for a fandom pretty much on the spot, but you're also made to RP a character regardless of how well you can play them. This turned me off of RPing for a while because a lot of RPs I was doing was pretty much just this.

I also don't really like AUs in fandoms that take place in a specific time and place. For anime that jump around a lot, or seem 'timeless', in a sense, then it's not that big of a deal but if they're set in like, the Victorian Era, then I feel really uncomfortable doing modern AUs for them for whatever reason.

Much like everyone else, I hate really bossy or pushy GMs. I also hate doing group RPs and then having someone who's not currently RPing in the group randomly butt into an OOC conversation to point out something meaningless. I have no idea if it's common, but it happens a lot in my RPs and it's annoying.

I also hate OCs for fandoms that are pretty much just the same thing. What I mean is....there's a certain type of character already established in that series. Then you keep seeing OCs that have different appearances, personalities, etc. But they're all modeled after the species or powers that that canon character has. It can get tiring and boring after a while when all the OCs in that fandom are like that. Like, it's an RP! Be more creative than that!

I also dislike when people make OCs solely for getting with a guy in their favorite anime. The girl OC is always underdeveloped and pretty much a carbon cut version of the boy except with female parts. To clarify, shipping your OC with a canon character is fine, but they should have their own well-developed personality and history and not just be the guy in girl form.

I generally strongly dislike/fucking hate OCs in multifandom RPs. I mean, the point of a multifandom RP is to play as characters from established works, not bring in your shitty OC. The multifandom RP I'm on now is Millennium City, and believe me, 99% are so fucking shit it makes me want to tear my eyes out.

I also hate one-liners. As a guy who takes the time to write out at least a detailed paragraph for every post, it pisses me off to no end to see that being returned with one line. One. Fucking. Line. Are you even trying?

And also? Real person RPs. And K-Pop RPs. Those are usually so bad I swear I throw up a bit in my mouth every time I read one.

Eh, I'm bored, so why not.

1. Flakes and/or Flaky Behavior. I'd say this is likely one of my biggest pet peeves in terms of roleplaying. If I notice that the GM has a tendency to to abandon their RPs before they even start or disappear without a word, chances that I'll bother joining are slim. The same goes for 1x1s.

2. Readability. Out of all my deal breakers here, this one is probably the most objective. I don't really have anything against people who use microscopic fonts or backgrounds that make text colors difficult or painful to read, but personally, I'm not going to bother to strain myself reading body text that's smaller than 12px (or size 3) or looking at color/color combinations that hurt my eyes. Maybe it's just my screen resolution making things appear smaller on my screen or colors appearing more striking due to having a different contrast. I don't know.

3. Lack of detail. This includes faked "detail" aka fluff. I like getting enough detail to work off of, be it in a post, overview, interest check, whatever. However, that doesn't mean I want to read 500 words of meaningless filler text that really makes no difference whether or not I read it. That's just wasting my time. Certain situations call for a shorter post, and I understand that. Just give me enough so that I can actually respond with a proper post.

4. First come, first served. Ehm...well, I suppose I don't really have much against this either, but if it's an RP with limited slots but is running on a first come first served basis, I'll probably be quick to opt out of the RP. I tend to take my time with CSs, so I doubt I'll get mine done before the xth person.

5. Grammar. My brain is weird, so I actually start accidentally skipping entire lines if the grammar is that atrocious. Making simple mistakes like "your" and "you're" is also a big pet peeve, though I don't mind if it's just a "typo" level of frequency.

6. Lack of Lore. If it feels like the GM just thought about the RP for a single night or two before posting the thread, there's no way I'll agree to something that's been done so willy-nilly. Of course, this excludes RPs that are made for the purpose of a partner or partner group making up a plot, lore, etc. together.

7. RPs that require you to post once a day. I just can't, okay? I don't sit at my laptop all day plus I'm a lazy shit. :''')

8. "I'm the main character!" Some GMs or co-GMs that make it painfully obvious that their character is the focus of the RP. I don't mean something like being the captain/leader of the unit, president of the school, or whatever. Those are just roles. Just...this is a collaborative effort. Please give all the characters/roles equal footing in terms of plot significance?

I think that's all for the major points...?

Peeve or walk away, could be both. A character that can miraculously heal an unknown ailment of another character with magical powers they did not possess before with no explanation behind them what so ever.

When a person just pulls supplies out of no where to treat a grievous wound. Like no searching, no detail about said process they just happen to have all the right things.

Peeve or walk away, could be both. A character that can miraculously heal an unknown ailment of another character with magical powers they did not possess before with no explanation behind them what so ever.

When a person just pulls supplies out of no where to treat a grievous wound. Like no searching, no detail about said process they just happen to have all the right things.

what if the person doing the healing is established as being a magical healer of great power? i don't neccessarily mean a D&D cleric, i mean somebody who is extremely specialized in the art of magical healing to the exclusion of most other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back