Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Aah I see. :) Had to refine my own somewhere towards the beginning since when I started I had the grammar of a dyslexic badger without hands, I suppose I'm gifted in the sense that I can type crudely or more refined on a dime, makes roleplaying various fandoms a breeze though I normally stick to what I know, those being the Soulsborne Series by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the RWBY series by Rooster Teeth or more recently the NieR series by Yoko Taro.

I haven't heard of any of those unfortunately. Are they anime?

This has been a lovely conversation by the way, thank you.

I haven't heard of any of those unfortunately. Are they anime?

This has been a lovely conversation by the way, thank you.
The feelings are mutual. :)

Soulsborne comprises the games Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne,

RWBY is anime, you were right on that one,

and NieR: Automata is the newest game in the Drakengard/NieR series

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really, really tired of seeing requests for "dark" and/or "edgy" RPs. Over time, I've found it draining to be a part of RPs where your partner's OCs are just like...

tenor%206.gif

I think my problem with these requests lies more in line with my fear of how the requester is going to handle these themes in the RP. As far as I can tell, "dark" subject matter is largely used to either 1. invoke or instill a sense of shock in their partner/audience or 2. garner sympathy for their OC. Which... okay. Nothing wrong with that, per se. But why, dear partner, did you share how your OC was verbally and physically abused everyday from the age of four, exactly? Is it really necessary for you to mention, at length, how your OC callously and brutally murdered that random NPC for the lolz? I mean, other than to show off how "cool" or "troubled" they are? If it's relevant to the plot (as in, the plot cannot theoretically exist without you mentioning this), that's fine. But if not, I again ask, why?

Did you really have to go that far?

I know I'm rambling at this point, but I think that I feel so strongly about this, in part, because of the field that I aspire to work in. I'm currently in the process of getting my addictions counselling license, and that requires for me to work, under supervision, at treatment centers. So for roughly 30 or so hours a week, I have to sit down and listen to or read about real life cases of sexual trauma, real life cases of domestic violence, real life cases of drug abuse/addictions and see, for myself, the real life consequences. And it's just... jarring to then go home and read RPs that fetishize or glamorize the mess out of these topics, or see these matters haphazardly throw into the RP at the drop of a hat just to give their OC another thing to cry about. ...It's not a great feeling, seeing that. ._.

Is it asking too much to have an RP with OCs who had all right childhoods and are in good mental/physical/emotional standing, at least at the start? I'm not saying that there can't be conflict or that there can't be low point, as that can motivates the characters to action and works to move the story along and create depth (which I'm all for!). I'm also not saying that you can't have a well-written "dark" RP with the dead parents and the trauma and ye the rest. Honestly, this isn't even just about RPs. So many movies and TV shows nowadays are just so edgy, serious and uptight. I guess I'm just burned out from it all. (These feelings really started to kick in after I saw Dawn of Justice.)

tldr; While they can absolutely be done correctly, I walk when I see the call for "dark" RPs featuring tragic characters. There's just too much going on in the world right now for me to get involved with even more despair-inducing stories.

Have I stepped on any toes? Sorry if I did; that wasn't the point of my spiel. I'll end it here. Have a nice day, everyone.

*goes off to practice her diaphragmatic breathing exercises and then binge watch cartoons*

Did you really have to go that far?

While I generally agree with you, I can think of two reasons why one would want to write things like that.

1. Therapeutic writing. Writing about these experiences might be actually helpful in someone's RL recovery. I'm currently employing this and it's not half bad to be honest. I have a friend who's been doing it for a long time and it seriously helps her.

2. Curiosity. I don't get to kill or rape people in real life (thank god for that), but I do wonder how someone would feel from that. So I'd consider roleplay some kind of a simulator in which I can experience those things.

At the end of the day, however - I agree with you thoroughly. I see it mostly as some sort of attention seeking in the form of excessive creativity.

But if not, I again ask, why?
People want to roleplay the way they want to. You seek fairy tail and disney happy endings and others seek death and despair, for their fantasy characters. There's nothing wrong with either and both types of roleplays can serve their own purpose. But if you asked why?

They wanted to roleplay that out.

While I generally agree with you, I can think of two reasons why one would want to write things like that.

1. Therapeutic writing. Writing about these experiences might be actually helpful in someone's RL recovery. I'm currently employing this and it's not half bad to be honest. I have a friend who's been doing it for a long time and it seriously helps her.

2. Curiosity. I don't get to kill or rape people in real life (thank god for that), but I do wonder how someone would feel from that. So I'd consider roleplay some kind of a simulator in which I can experience those things.

At the end of the day, however - I agree with you thoroughly. I see it mostly as some sort of attention seeking in the form of excessive creativity.

Thanks for your reply. Now that you've mentioned it, the first reason you mentioned makes a good amount of sense. I can totally see how someone would want to RP to aid with their experiences. I can't get behind your second reason, though. That's way beyond my pay grade.

Anyway, thanks again. Have a nice day.

People want to roleplay the way they want to. You seek fairy tail and disney happy endings and others seek death and despair, for their fantasy characters. There's nothing wrong with either and both types of roleplays can serve their own purpose. But if you asked why?

They wanted to roleplay that out.

Thanks for your reply as well. I feel that I should mention that I was not trying to disparage anyone. If someone wants an RP with death and despair in it, like you said, there's nothing particularly wrong that on the surface. There are plenty of writers that can handle topics like those maturely. If someone wants an RP with a Disney-style happy ending (which is nice, on occasion, but I personally enjoy something more realistically bittersweet), that's also fine.

What I was trying to say is that I find "dark" RPs, more often than not, to be too depressing for my tastes and involve material that can be easily mishandled or used inappropriately, which is why I don't like them. Hopefully I made my previous post a bit more clear, if it wasn't enough already. Take care, and have a nice weekend.

People that Can't read a simple post will make me walk away,An example is I'm a shipper and enjoy light romance in my Roleplay but there's some pairs I absolutely will not do,I'll post (as an example) Naruto Pairings Roleplay and it will say in the post "I will not Roleplay Sasuke x Sakura" and the first thing someone asks is "will you Roleplay Sasuke x Sakura?". If it says I don't do it in my post PLEASE PLEASE do not ask for it.

What I was trying to say is that I find "dark" RPs, more often than not, to be too depressing for my tastes and involve material that can be easily mishandled or used inappropriately, which is why I don't like them. Hopefully I made my previous post a bit more clear, if it wasn't enough already. Take care, and have a nice weekend.
Oh if you dislike dark rps because of poor execution, then you're not going to like most of rpn. Which is full of poor execution from amateurs writing for fun. xD

But yea, take care fella. The great thing about choices, is you don't have to roleplay in a dark setting just as I don't have to roleplay as a student in a magical academy.

People that Can't read a simple post will make me walk away,An example is I'm a shipper and enjoy light romance in my Roleplay but there's some pairs I absolutely will not do,I'll post (as an example) Naruto Pairings Roleplay and it will say in the post "I will not Roleplay Sasuke x Sakura" and the first thing someone asks is "will you Roleplay Sasuke x Sakura?". If it says I don't do it in my post PLEASE PLEASE do not ask for it.

I've done that well I mean forgotten which pairings people don't like. But that's because I tend to forget which threads say what. But even then I'll usually just ask you to repeat yourself. Like hey so what pairings did you want to do?

I've done that well I mean forgotten which pairings people don't like. But that's because I tend to forget which threads say what. But even then I'll usually just ask you to repeat yourself. Like hey so what pairings did you want to do?
It's just a pet peeve of mine lol pay me no mind

It's just a pet peeve of mine lol pay me no mind

No I mean I understand the frustration I just have the memory of a gold fish so I don't take it too personally. Unless it's obviously done with the intention of basically walking around your rules.

Like it's one thing just to ask once - hey do you want to do student x teacher relationship ( which i mention as being a no go in my post ) because hey maybe you just forgot what was in my post or missed it somehow.

If however once I tell you no you're still like - but I really feel like this story needs a student x teacher relationship that's what gets me pissed off. Like look I'll allow for a simple misunderstanding once but when you keep pestering me well you know how to use the back button.

No I mean I understand the frustration I just have the memory of a gold fish so I don't take it too personally. Unless it's obviously done with the intention of basically walking around your rules.

Like it's one thing just to ask once - hey do you want to do student x teacher relationship ( which i mention as being a no go in my post ) because hey maybe you just forgot what was in my post or missed it somehow.

If however once I tell you no you're still like - but I really feel like this story needs a student x teacher relationship that's what gets me pissed off. Like look I'll allow for a simple misunderstanding once but when you keep pestering me well you know how to use the back button.
Yes that's what I mean,it doesn't bother me if you forget or just skimmed my post,it never hurts to ask but what I mean us people who then go "but I only ship that particular pair". That's fine,ship them If you like not everyone has the same tastes but go find a partner more suited to your tastes rather than insist I pardon my language kiss your ass because I won't. Of course I'm not going to be rude and often times will point them in the direction of someone looking for what they want but it STILL annoys me when they insist I do something that I do not want to do

What's one or two things that make you "nope" out of an rp, no matter how promising?

Hmm. When you have a character that manages to singlehandedly take over the thread's plots and activities and dominate, either through favoritism or because he or she is so powerful, whilst everyone else is sitting by like "uh, hi :)".

Dealt with a public thread that followed that principal. I managed to develop my characters still, in ways that I still liked even as they didn't benefit me. Meanwhile, you had one guy who.. basically took over all activities that were set up by the OP, other people just started their own things in the thread.

I sense that I'm probably stepping into a minefield of trigger topics when I say this, but...I write for the character, not for the player. The character tells me how s/he grew up, what s/he wants or likes, the ideals or goals s/he pursues...I don't start out with a printout of the perfect little goth princess who is engineered to earn me some sympathy. That's...not a relevant or valid reason to roleplay.

That said...if my character turns out to be mistreated in her past...I'm not going to apologize for that. That's where she came from. That's her history, dude. It shapes how she interacts with the world, how she views other people, and sets her on a path to where she's inevitably headed. When you write for a character, you write for that character. You don't consider what he might want or not want, what perfect little fairy tale world he might live in...that's not how it happens. Stories happen because of conflict. Something happened to this character. What happens next? It's not "Well, I've had the most perfect day ever, and I have absolutely zero reason to change anything...so I will change everything."

There is a world of difference between a legitimate use of a plot device and just a shameless exploitation of a self-pity machine. I think that is what we're really talking about, here...

And...forgive me for the left turn without signalling, but...while we're talking about senseless motivations, let's talk about Evil For Evil's Sake.

It...doesn't exist. Can't exist, more like. Even the most diabolical entity ever described to me has had at least some measure of reason for doing what it did. It could be a coup, could be saving his family from exile, could even be trying to help save his country from worldwide criticism via dirty deeds, just to prove that his agencies did not do what they are accused of doing. The point is...there is literally always a motivating factor.

I wont' say "reason", because that legitimizes the behavior. I say "motivating factor" because there is literally always a cause for every effect. No person that has ever lived has woken up and, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, thought "Gee...I'd really like to be just the most heinous kind of evil I can think of, today." It's artificial. Fake.

The most evil, tainted, violent people in history have always had a reason why they did what they did. It doesn't make them right; does not legitimize their activities in the slightest. But it does support their motions in a story. Who would you rather have as a villain? An extraplanar entity who desires nothing more than to annihilate all living things, without cause or reason, without literally even one point of support for the act...or a mortal seeking godhood so that he can set the rest of humanity on the "right" track, by offing his detractors? It's "to save them", after all.

See...there's a motivation behind it. A reason. It's not just "oooh, look at the scary boogey man". It's a real, solid, tangible evil that you have to EFFING face, or your entire way of life is gone.

...I'd take the second one. >_>

Last edited:
I sense that I'm probably stepping into a minefield of trigger topics when I say this, but...I write for the character, not for the player. The character tells me how s/he grew up, what s/he wants or likes, the ideals or goals s/he pursues...I don't start out with a printout of the perfect little goth princess who is engineered to earn me some sympathy. That's...not a relevant or valid reason to roleplay.

That said...if my character turns out to be mistreated in her past...I'm not going to apologize for that. That's where she came from. That's her history, dude. It shapes how she interacts with the world, how she views other people, and sets her on a path to where she's inevitably headed. When you write for a character, you write for that character. You don't consider what he might want or not want, what perfect little fairy tale world he might live in...that's not how it happens. Stories happen because of conflict. Something happened to this character. What happens next? It's not "Well, I've had the most perfect day ever, and I have absolutely zero reason to change anything...so I will change everything."

There is a world of difference between a legitimate use of a plot device and just a shameless exploitation of a self-pity machine. I think that is what we're really talking about, here...

And...forgive me for the left turn without signalling, but...while we're talking about senseless motivations, let's talk about Evil For Evil's Sake.

It...doesn't exist. Can't exist, more like. Even the most diabolical entity ever described to me has had at least some measure of reason for doing what it did. It could be a coup, could be saving his family from exile, could even be trying to help save his country from worldwide criticism via dirty deeds, just to prove that his agencies did not do what they are accused of doing. The point is...there is literally always a motivating factor.

I wont' say "reason", because that legitimizes the behavior. I say "motivating factor" because there is literally always a cause for every effect. No person that has ever lived has woken up and, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, thought "Gee...I'd really like to be just the most heinous kind of evil I can think of, today." It's artificial. Fake.

The most evil, tainted, violent people in history have always had a reason why they did what they did. It doesn't make them right; does not legitimize their activities in the slightest. But it does support their motions in a story. Who would you rather have as a villain? An extraplanar entity who desires nothing more than to annihilate all living things, without cause or reason, without literally even one point of support for the act...or a mortal seeking godhood so that he can set the rest of humanity on the "right" track, by offing his detractors? It's "to save them", after all.

See...there's a motivation behind it. A reason. It's not just "oooh, look at the scary boogey man". It's a real, solid, tangible evil that you have to EFFING face, or your entire way of life is gone.

...I'd take the second one. >_>

Playing the devil's advocate it depends on the creature you're talking about and how you define evil. Like say I were to create a creature that went around whispering dark words into others ears and driving them mad. They don't do it for any particular reason but say that creature's name is Delirium. Well they are literally a personification of a state of madness so thus instilling that madness in others is kind of the whole reason they exist. It's not necessarily a motivation factor as the thought process isn't - well I'm a thing so I'm gonna do this act because that's what things like me do. It's just - I am what I am deal with it.

Now I don't disagree with you about the whole people using "dark" or "tragic" backstories as lazy sympathy cards. No if you want me to feel a certain way about your character ( positive or negative ) don't TELL me who you character is SHOW me.

It's the same problem in romance too actually. Like literally the exact same issue. People are more about telling you how you should interact because their character is XYZ than actually writing out a character that has those traits. Like yeah my character isn't going to like anyone just because the other player says they should. Nor are they going to fear someone or feel sympathy for them. My character is going to feel the way that makes sense for their characterization.

Now I don't disagree with you about the whole people using "dark" or "tragic" backstories as lazy sympathy cards. No if you want me to feel a certain way about your character ( positive or negative ) don't TELL me who you character is SHOW me.

It's the same problem in romance too actually. Like literally the exact same issue. People are more about telling you how you should interact because their character is XYZ than actually writing out a character that has those traits. Like yeah my character isn't going to like anyone just because the other player says they should. Nor are they going to fear someone or feel sympathy for them. My character is going to feel the way that makes sense for their characterization.

Precisely. If your character is powerful, show that power in their actions. Sadistic? Don't tell me, be sadistic. I encounter this problem a lot in tabletop, where the player(s) end up saying "Uh, my character, um...tells the NPC that he wants a beer." Well...that's all well and good, but...don't you want to be in-character and actually say that? Where's the dialogue?

Granted, it's far easier to display some things as a solo writer, but that's where communication plays a factor. Discuss with your partners. Ask them if a particular thing would affect how you take a hit.

Granted, it's far easier to display some things as a solo writer, but that's where communication plays a factor. Discuss with your partners. Ask them if a particular thing would affect how you take a hit.

Well fighting in general I won't even start unless you give me well written and thought out weaknesses. If you can't tell me a realistic way your character can be defeated I won't roleplay out a fight at all. And I don't necessarily mean a reasonable way my character specifically can defeat them I just mean in general.

In fact I find in a lot of ways people seem to do better when I ask them to explain things off camera versus having them like "prove" themselves to my character.

So like again if you want your character to be sadistic just have a random scene with them doing something sadistic. If they're meant to be all powerful have a scene with them showing off that all powerful-ness. If they are meant to be super desirable/romantic etc show them doing something desirable or romantic.

"I'm 4'6", whiny and annoying, on the verge of being anorexic, a neko, emo, my eyes are different colors, I look and act 10 but I'm 18 for legal purposes, I have a twin for no fucking reason, I have a badly written orphan sap story, I'm also extremely powerful and good at everything for no fucking reason, and if I'm not the center of attention, I will become the center of attention in every situation possible, no matter what I have to do."

"I'm 4'6", whiny and annoying, on the verge of being anorexic, a neko, emo, my eyes are different colors, I look and act 10 but I'm 18 for legal purposes, I have a twin for no fucking reason, I have a badly written orphan sap story, I'm also extremely powerful and good at everything for no fucking reason, and if I'm not the center of attention, I will become the center of attention in every situation possible, no matter what I have to do."

I see you have also roleplayed on AOL. >_>

Highschool roleplays - I'm an old fart, HS was 11 years ago for me
Furry or furry-esque RPs - Fuck that shit, I'm out
Anime canon - So much NOPE
Age gap in characters - I don't like dealing with angsty teens in my RPs
Canon in general - the thought of RPing in a per-existing universe is just...ehh...
Slice of life - Boring as fuck

I hear you on the high-school roleplays. You get enough of that in Anime as is.

Furry...well, there's a difference between "furry" and Darwin-esque animal evolution. I think we all know what that difference is. >_>

Anime canon...ItDepends(TM). I've come to the understanding that Anime is like coffee: It's either terrific or effing terrible.

Canon...well, you already know my thoughts on that. Somebody already created that character, and quite sufficiently, I think. Why do I need to do it again?

Slice of Life...I'm still waiting on somebody to explain to me exactly what that is. Nation Building, too. I've been on this rock for almost 40 years and only heard those terms very recently. Internet searches return nothing relevant. I'm inclined to decline anything that refuses to identify itself.

As for the age gap...I'm a little more forgiving in that department, because life doesn't section itself off into categories of what we prefer. It breaks the realism factor for me if everyone is the exact same age group.

One liners...Freakin one liners...the stupid "Blank walks up to you and smiles" O.O! like WTF! ><!

My top 10 reasons for quitting RPs

1: "Genius" characters. They're usually the dumbest in the group, and just act snobby and obnoxious.

2: Ridiculous coding. It's fine if people pretty up their post a little bit, but those tiny pastel fonts and GIF backgrounds are nigh impossible to read.

3: Characters who don't do anything except cry, faint and whine.

4: OOC drama, especially when people expect me to pick a side.

5: When people don't care about historical accuracy. I don't need it to be perfect, but i don't wan't to play with someone who thinks there was "middle school" in Edwardian England. Same goes for people who use emo/scene faceclaims in historical RPs.

6: 30 paragraph posts that don't involve anyone but the writer's character.

7: When the whole game dissolves into some pointless romance between 2 of the characters, and everyone else gets forced into the background.

8: "Crazy" or '"Psycho" characters. I find it personally distasteful, abd the characters are often just annoying to interact with.

9: When pointless angst takes over and the game isn't even fun anymore.

10: When GMs stalk your posting and login habits. It's creepy.

1. As soon as I notice that the other partner will turn into the ultimate Mary Sue (TM), I'm leaving the RP
2. Furry RP. I don`t need to say why.
3. When I notice that one of the characters is like a goddamn sticky gum on your shoe. Like, that characters ALWAYS goes after you (and most likely wants to hop into the bed with your characters). No. Bye. Keep that weird thing that you created.
4. I was never a big fan of Romance Only-RP`s
5. When you join a RP, try to get your characters involved MULTIPLE times and they get ignored. Boy, I'll drop faster a melting snow cone in hell
6. Forced. Relationship. :) NO
7. Page 1: A and B hate each other. Page 4: A and B and in a happy relationship and plan on marrying soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back