Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

i will lie about being 12-14 just to keep the smutters away. it doesn't always work.

Yeah your best bet if you don't want to just ignore them ( or the site your on doesn't have an ignore feature ) is pretend your an angry parent.

like who are you?!! Why are you asking my child to write innapropriate content? If you don't stop contacting them immediately I'm going to the admin/the police.

that will get them to back off in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Th-that's a thing? I'm disturbed. I mean... I have been in rps where rape is mentioned or implied but...

there actually are Roleplays where one of the characters involved indulges themselves by raping other characters. it is usually done on adult roleplay sites like F-list and is commonly done as a way for a "Stronger Character" to "Flaunt their power" by "Taking control and forcing the Weaker character to submit to their whims". most of the characters that do the raping are some god tier Mary Sue that is loaded with Raw power by Virtue of being a hybrid of a buffet menu of supernatural species and an overall genetic train wreck that shouldn't exist and was primarily done as a power grab. usually a demonic angelic vampiric werewolf dragonborn elven abomination that does the raping because their character has enough raw power to counter anything by virtue of being brokenly overpowered by piling on the strengths of all those races and completely ignoring the established lore weaknesses. should have a x8 weakness to cold iron but somehow doesn't.

Deal breakers?

• Explicit content (which is why I love rpn thank god for their rules against such crap)
  • A person who is impatient and expects me to revolve around them and their schedule
  • Detailed rps bc I can't always spit out a crap ton of paragraphs and with most I've tried to get into there was too many rules and restrictions that I was bored out of my mind
  • Rude people, nuh uh not rping with ppl who can't respect me or my characters
  • Being forced to be the GM even for a 1 on 1. most times this happens the other person or other people put in little to no effort and expect me to carry them through everything in my eyes everything is a team. If I wanted to write alone I would be on my wattpad account writing these rps as books!
  • FxF or MxM romance I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with that I can't play gay characters (I have nothing against gays, I have many gay best friends but I can't stand rping gays because its too awkward for me)
  • When someone doesn't take the time / make the effort to properly flow along with the story and just make a mess. Like dude why are you making the bad guys total idiots total buffoon meatheads throwing off how they are already established?
  • When someone forces my character to react in any way shape or form. Don't say "Jack caressed her cheek making Julianna blush" like no. What if my char hates your char's guts? thats not okay you're making an emotional reaction in someone elses character without their consent when they want it some other way making their char out of character.
  • People who ONLY do one liners and NEVER match my post lengths giving me nothing to work with. the RP will not progress anywhere like that i might as well rp alone.
  • When someone who's native language is english doesn't even try to use it properly and their crap is a mess of spelling errors on the easiest words multiple times and the grammar is worse than mine. Like so bad its hard to even read without getting confused as hell.
  • Excessive swearing. If your character is swearing more than speaking no.. I'm out because I can't deal with a sailor's mouth as it adds nothing to the story itself for 9 out of 10 words being a swear word.
  • People who leave new people out. If I join your rp and you forget my character a lot, don't give me chances to progress with the group, block all my chances to even JOIN the rp properly (even when I discuss with everyone before hand) or if you and everyone elses characters gang up against my character bullying them when I join...no...hell no. That is a huge deal breaker and will make me dislike you as a person aswell because its..very disrespectful, rude, unfair, unkind and not at all like a team player.

Honestly most of these deal breakers will make me either

A. stop rping with that person no matter what

B. put them on my ignore list

Because they upset me and / or I feel wronged by them.

Anyways I think thats about it? Yeah.. I think.

(thought of a few more so edited the post)

• When people try to force me to completely change my RP to fit them. like its MY storyline. No I don't expect it to go a certain way completely no I'm not unflexible. HOWEVER I will not have some giant monster come and ruin the storyline destroying the building thats there for character relationship and storyline development. Some people literally want to watch my worlds burn bc all they want is fighting and nothing else in an RP. No no get out stay away from me. I'm open to suggestions but when you bad mouth me and try to force me to do something that'll screw everything up and throw it off course. I'm done with you. Leaves a really bad impression on me.
  • Fandom RPs. I'm not into those
  • When someone brings a character from a fandom (such as Naruto into a fantasy korean rp about dragons and mermaids) into an original rp. No keep those away for the love of all that is holy PLEASE
  • Zombie stuff or things that are based on actual history. I'm really not into zombies and if stuff is based on actual history I'm very uncomfortable with that it feels like a forbidden zone.
  • When people FORCE me to make a personality for my character (this might be a weird one for a lot of people to see) I can't work the way others do. My characters I can't control them I write their actions their thoughts and words but I do not control them they control themselves they come to life. I actually become one with my character and feel all their emotions I BECOME my characters and I can't do that if I FORCE a personality so I can't rp to the best of my abilities and quickly lose interest in that case.
  • When people FORCE a character history its the same as personality forcing. If I get inspired and the history comes to me before the rp however I will write it out but other times I NEED to rp for awhile to get a backstory. Its not like in the very beginning the backstories are revealed anyways in any rp really so its not like its bad to take your time to get a feel of the world and character first so you can get inspired and do your best. 

I've been called lazy for not making backstories or personalities from right off the bat but I don't make them right off the bat so I can do my best. Don't people want quality? Not everyone is the same some people work differently. Theres others like me who need to connect with and get a feel of their character before those two things get done.  Its how I do my best its how I do my 100% its how I can give my all.

• 0 romance in an RP. No I can't do NO ROMANCE. Its not my style I kind of need romance tbh. I'm okay with it mixed with other genres but I NEED romance.
  • Rps based ONLY on romance. Yes though I need romance I'm not a fan of pure romance rps bc they get stale and boring bc there is no conflict no goal to reach. Nothing besides characters becoming lovey dovey its too romance focused it needs another genre mixed with it to give it spice. Its like a flavorless soup otherwise until you add the pepper and salt
  • A anime character or drawing on someones CS for their character when everyone else has real people like idol face claims and vice versa 
  • Large / Larger than my normal groups. I can't handle groups bigger than 12 total (and thats only with friends. If its with a bunch of strangers I don't do well with groups bigger than 8 people) So if say I join a friends RP and we get 8 people of strangers but it keep growing and growing until there is like 20 people. I'm out bc I'm overwhelmed, uncomfortable, kind of scared (of embarrassing myself), and..it feels less special the more that join when I do rps with my friends. Its also too much pressure with groups bigger than my norm
  • Character restriction of 1 - 2. I'm okay with a restriction of like 3 - 4 but I need a female to help carry my males. Without a female I can't get into my males well because males I'm still not extremely good at playing females I'm most comfortable with. (tho lucky for me with my friends I ask nicely and I can get an extra 1 - 2 characters more than the restriction <3 )
  • Having to be the male of a MxF rp. Now this one is not garunteed to make me walk away I do strongly prefer being a female but with some friends I would gladly try being the male character however with strangers Imma stick to female and not step way out of my comfort zone.

• When I can't do ANYTHING with the world. if I can't make my character some run away princess with an evil crazy possessed boyfriend that does not negatively impact the gms storyline at all then no thank you. I like my freedom I don't like TOO MUCH freedom but I don't like being put into a cookie cutter. As long as I'm not harming the plot or the world setting I see no reason to force me to be plain boring and cookie cutter. I don't like every last little thing dictated. Figured I should actually build on this so I'm not mistaken
I don't mean I wanna be some overpowered with super tragic backstory character that is revolving around herself and not into the main plot. What I mean is I want to use my backstory to stir up a tiny bit a TINY bit of drama to spark the relationship / friendship with everyone elses characters into gear because of the whole leaving newbies out. No one else makes and effort so my character is basically that supporting actor in a show thats in a couple episodes that no one remembers. Like Imma interact with the main plot imma respond accordingly but everyone in the rp is making giant side stories that derail the main story the gm has 0 problem. So I wanna be able to bring the side story for my character TO the group to interact with them WHILE we do the main plot at the same time and as filler when people are too busy / gone because of work and IRL issues. Unless you wanna go on without them leave them behind or let your RP die.

• If a GM gets mad without even telling me what I did wrong and I didn't break any of the rules I read and tried hard to keep from doing anything the GM would hate that even I'd hate. Like wow sorry what was it? my character dying their hair that made you mad? like wtf did I do? How can I know what I did wrong when its not in your rules, I did not mess up plot or the world and you tell me NOTHING and instead publicly embarrass me, yell at me, insult me, shame me, and hate me.
  • Rp Elitists if you ever ran across one you know exactly what I mean.

Also..yeah I've had A LOT of bad RP experiences.

• FxF or MxM romance I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with that I can't play gay characters (I have nothing against gays, I have many gay best friends but I can't stand rping gays because its too awkward for me)

Yeah, this really bugs me too. Most of the time that's all I really see - not their backstory (aside from "bullied cuz gay"), profession, personality, beliefs, faults. "Gay" isn't the defining trait of a character, and if it is then you've written them poorly. I mean, I have no problem roleplaying someone in a same-sex relationship but that's only if those two characters have a good chemistry in some way. Then there are those that do but - whoops, they don't swing that way. Happens in real life, don't get why it shouldn't happen in topics. Just one more reason why I hate the fact that "orientation" is a common thing on character sheets. Have them build up the nerve and make a move. If they fail it makes the story a bit more interesting if only for a little while. It's about the journey.

Edit: Which isn't to say I don't understand the point you were making. Bit of a semi-related rant on my end. Your feelings on that are perfectly valid, I just don't get the desire for specific types of "romance" as a focus either when it should always be about characters first.

Yeah, this really bugs me too. Most of the time that's all I really see - not their backstory (aside from "bullied cuz gay"), profession, personality, beliefs, faults. "Gay" isn't the defining trait of a character, and if it is then you've written them poorly. I mean, I have no problem roleplaying someone in a same-sex relationship but that's only if those two characters have a good chemistry in some way. Then there are those that do but - whoops, they don't swing that way. Happens in real life, don't get why it shouldn't happen in topics. Just one more reason why I hate the fact that "orientation" is a common thing on character sheets. Have them build up the nerve and make a move. If they fail it makes the story a bit more interesting if only for a little while. It's about the journey.

Edit: Which isn't to say I don't understand the point you were making. Bit of a semi-related rant on my end. Your feelings on that are perfectly valid, I just don't get the desire for specific types of "romance" as a focus either when it should always be about characters first.

Yeah I think I get what you mean don't worry ^_^

I'm actually one who puts orientation on character sheets my reasons for doing it is prob different from others its kind of for me myself to avoid ppl trying to pair gay characters up with like my straight male for example bc I'm so uncomfortable with rping that kind of relationship. Its so far out of my comfort zone so I put orientation on the sheets so if anyone thinks the same way they can avoid that that way with me aswell? Sorry not sure if I'm explaining this properly. I'm not the best at explanations obviously XD  

I also realised my post is extremely long XD  wow I might be considered difficult to please XD  

@RegalWindstar Nah, I understand. Can't say I agree with it but it's a personal feeling. Like I said, perfectly valid.

For me, I'm the type of person who loves cringe. I want to see friendships fall apart. I want attempts at romance to fail either immediately or very slowly. This is mainly because roleplaying on the whole just...has so many happy endings that aren't deserved. I hate fairy tale endings, and when I look at most topics that's exactly what they are. You can still find happiness in imperfection, in something you didn't necessarily expect when you first set out. I'd argue that's a lot closer to life. So seeing everything just...work out, all the time, it gets really old. One thing that is true to life that a lot of people either don't realize or forget is that relationships of any kind are work. You have to put effort in to really make them last. If they do that then it succeeds in the end then it's alright too.

So yeah, I'm more of the kind of guy who would be fine with huge chunks of your average application or character sheet being absent if there was no chance of people just being lazy. Failures build a person just as much as successes do and can really make topics more interesting, but it seems like all I come across are melodramatic lamentations of Tragic Event X and a character passing go, getting $200, and immediately falling in love. I see people using those reference points to plan ahead constantly, where in reality they should be stumbling at least a little bit along the way.

Granted, I'm much more of a group roleplayer than a 1x1 person. I'm sure the context is different there just by the nature that plans are much more direct when you have a single writing partner.

I also realised my post is extremely long XD  wow I might be considered difficult to please XD  

My list has a lot of the same points and I'd imagine it'd be just as long. Nothing wrong with knowing what you want, haha.

For me, I'm the type of person who loves cringe. I want to see friendships fall apart. I want attempts at romance to fail either immediately or very slowly. This is mainly because roleplaying on the whole just...has so many happy endings that aren't deserved. I hate fairy tale endings, and when I look at most topics that's exactly what they are. You can still find happiness in imperfection, in something you didn't necessarily expect when you first set out. I'd argue that's a lot closer to life. So seeing everything just...work out, all the time, it gets really old. One thing that is true to life that a lot of people either don't realize or forget is that relationships of any kind are work. You have to put effort in to really make them last. If they do that then it succeeds in the end then it's alright too.

I kind of agree with most of that. Except for fairytale ending to some degree. Like not getting that happily ever after romance? Okay. But everyone dieing in a tragic battle literally EVERYONE. That kind of..is depressing. It kind of makes everything feel pointless to me personally when everyone is killed off. *has had my characters killed off by the GMs a few times in rps along with everyone else and evil won* T_T but thats my personal preference I guess tho.

So yeah, I'm more of the kind of guy who would be fine with huge chunks of your average application or character sheet being absent if there was no chance of people just being lazy.

*hugs the crap out of you* You're my type of rper in that aspect then XD

ailures build a person just as much as successes do and can really make topics more interesting, but it seems like all I come across are melodramatic lamentations of Tragic Event X and a character passing go, getting $200, and immediately falling in love. I see people using those reference points to plan ahead constantly, where in reality they should be stumbling at least a little bit along the way.

Yeah I do always in romance rps go for a happy ending (or half happy ending) they always end up with the only guy or one of the guys they love but the other ends up heart broken. I kill so much of their family (I..Am sane I swear *looks at all my characters who have lost parents and friends* I think...)

I can be a bit of a...sadistic RPer to my characters I LOVE making them suffer but through all the pain in the end they get atleast a semi happy ending. (because I'm truly a sucker for romance. Hopeless romantic here XD  )

I love making my characters lives go down the drain then making them get a bit of a grip on it and fall in love have so many issues in the relationship but in the end of it all being as happy as they can get. But not disney princess happy. for MOST of my rps usually my group ones. my one on one rps are a lot different in that. They suffer however they usually get a fairy tale ending in my one on ones.

As long as its not everyones killed off and ppl have a choice in what happens to their char in the end then I'm okay with it not being all gumdrops, sugar plum fairies and rainbows

those reference points to plan ahead constantly

I do have reference points to plan ahead to some extent like

• This will be the beginning people will mingle
  • School will get destroyed in 4 weeks rp time
  • Obstacle A
  • Obstacle B
  • Goal A
  • Obstacle C
  • Event A

I put in obstacles to strengthen bonds.

I have goals they have to reach to motivate the players and characters

I also have events for players to do whatever with like in some rps I've had balls so romance can develop

but its up to the players of anything else really how to get to these points how their relationships will go. I just give goals, challenges and opportunities. Or atleast...try to.

I'm quite a bad GM sadly... my weakest point tho is enforcing rules. I'm too soft.

I do have reference points to plan ahead to some extent like

• This will be the beginning people will mingle
  • School will get destroyed in 4 weeks rp time
  • Obstacle A
  • Obstacle B
  • Goal A
  • Obstacle C
  • Event A

I put in obstacles to strengthen bonds.

I have goals they have to reach to motivate the players and characters

I also have events for players to do whatever with like in some rps I've had balls so romance can develop

but its up to the players of anything else really how to get to these points how their relationships will go. I just give goals, challenges and opportunities. Or atleast...try to.

I'm quite a bad GM sadly... my weakest point tho is enforcing rules. I'm too soft.

With romance its kind of the same way as when I GM minus the events if I'm not a gm but relationships I have so many obstacles theres no real..goal though but...really the characters for me write themselves. yknow? My characters are me I bond to them I become them. (wow I can't believe i forgot to type this in before I clicked submit reply. Thanks brain)

Also yes I could of edited my other post BUT I didn't know if you seen it yet and if you did you might miss the edit so..

@Ammy Also sorry my brain is not..fully here right now its 4:30 in the morning so my brain is like "mushrooms, Chocolate, Hot asian boys, winter, drawing blank, oh bright light"

@Ammy Also sorry my brain is not..fully here right now its 4:30 in the morning so my brain is like "mushrooms, Chocolate, Hot asian boys, winter, drawing blank, oh bright light"

c19138e575fd96152189e7d0087e00df-d5mluv5.jpg

Yup thats pretty much my brain right there

When I'm awake..when tired AF

that and this is my brain 

Kpop Ammo (48).gif

*adds rave party lights to that gif*

Thats my brain. So pretty much my brain is hyper AF but though process wise so hyper its slow XD

Also @LegoLad659 I wanna play dragon age now...I need to sleep soon tho Imma have to play it tomorrow. Anyways I blame you for it XD  

I have to add another thing to this topic:

Creating a character that doesn't fit in to the established world.

A dragon doesn't belong in a slice of life Rp.

What is one of King Arthur's knights doing in a modern fantasy where there is no time travel or anything like that?

What is a vampire slayer doing in a world with no vampires?

But those aren't the worst for me. The worst for me are the ones that don't fit in personality wise.

Like, why would someone that hates fighting be in a roleplay where fighting and action is happening all the time. Actually I think this is for the people that like to play the damsel in distress since they will die if no one helps them.

I also have a certain hatred for the character that gets along with everyone/everything all the time, and just loves everything. They also hate violence and blood and death. They're also at war. Or in a very bloody rp, with a very violent group that someone who hates all that stuff wouldn't be with. 

I remember when I made an rp based on Stephen King's Dark Tower series, someone got upset because I rejected their character for being like one of the above mentioned annoyances. I'm sorry, but your character isn't willing to shoot anything, they gon' die.

Unfortunately that rp died :(

I have to add another thing to this topic:

Creating a character that doesn't fit in to the established world.

A dragon doesn't belong in a slice of life Rp.

What is one of King Arthur's knights doing in a modern fantasy where there is no time travel or anything like that?

What is a vampire slayer doing in a world with no vampires?

But those aren't the worst for me. The worst for me are the ones that don't fit in personality wise.

Like, why would someone that hates fighting be in a roleplay where fighting and action is happening all the time. Actually I think this is for the people that like to play the damsel in distress since they will die if no one helps them.

I also have a certain hatred for the character that gets along with everyone/everything all the time, and just loves everything. They also hate violence and blood and death. They're also at war. Or in a very bloody rp, with a very violent group that someone who hates all that stuff wouldn't be with. 

I remember when I made an rp based on Stephen King's Dark Tower series, someone got upset because I rejected their character for being like one of the above mentioned annoyances. I'm sorry, but your character isn't willing to shoot anything, they gon' die.

Unfortunately that rp died :(

you can have a Pacifist in a War Heavy World. look at Relena Peacecraft from Gundam Wing, the World in Gundam Wing is a massive Galaxy Wide Warzone, and Relena was constantly trying to push for peace and stop wars. but then, bad things kept happening to her and she was kind of a damsel. Relena was an annoying one dimensional character and her brother Milliardo at least tried to be 3 dimensional or at least 2.5 dimensional. 

the character that gets along with everyone and everything all the time is a 2 way street. if a character was nice to everyone they met, and was always friendly, that would be annoying to some people and start conflicts. because you are either a friendly person with a lot of friendly acquaintances who exploit your kindness or you have a few true friends you can trust. for 3 people to get along perfectly all the time, 3 people had to agree,

Looking at this thread makes me scared of making a roleplay ;-; I hope they don't get mad if my idea is imperfect.

Looking at this thread makes me scared of making a roleplay ;-; I hope they don't get mad if my idea is imperfect.

You don't have to please everyone. There's a lot of people here and not all of them will like it, but there will be some that will and that's all you need.

What....the..... seriously? 

Yep. It's extremely obnoxious

This is just personal dealbreakers. No one is saying that doing anything ( well except for things that are against the rules ) is going to make your roleplay bad. Nor are we saying you have to make a roleplay perfect before we'll deign to let you sit at the cool kids table.

I say this with pet peeves all the time - just because I don't like something doesn't mean there aren't other people who do. 

If you want to make a roleplay using every one of these dealbreakers ( excluding the ones that are against the rules or target people personally ) chances are you'll still get a few people who are interested. They might not be on this thread specifically but there are over a thousand users on this site. So I wouldn't like the maybe twenty or so people and their grumblings on this thread get you down. 

Yep. It's extremely obnoxious

This is just personal dealbreakers. No one is saying that doing anything ( well except for things that are against the rules ) is going to make your roleplay bad. Nor are we saying you have to make a roleplay perfect before we'll deign to let you sit at the cool kids table.

I say this with pet peeves all the time - just because I don't like something doesn't mean there aren't other people who do. 

If you want to make a roleplay using every one of these dealbreakers ( excluding the ones that are against the rules or target people personally ) chances are you'll still get a few people who are interested. They might not be on this thread specifically but there are over a thousand users on this site. So I wouldn't like the maybe twenty or so people and their grumblings on this thread get you down. 

I've made roleplays before but I'm terrible at management >_> I just hope it doesn't fail miserably >3< Thanks for the advice though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back