Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Deadass Academies. A perfect example of taking the slice of life theme too literally. 

This was a Star Wars: The Old Republic RP, set in a Force academy on Tattooii\ne by the way. So, the OP was giving out calls every five minutes that in so and so long there was going to be an event, a pretty basic class. Since this was an academy and all.

So, since I have done virtually no roleplaying in SWTOR before, I was kind of excited. I had these thoughts that it would be epic and he would take the students of a trip of knowledge and learning, intermixed with adventure and Jedi Jutsu, and it would be pretty awesome. 

I arrive, there are four students there and a teacher that drones on, and on, and on. And on. Every time he asked something, there was one chick (in the spirit of Hermonie) that raised her hand and answered. Every time he paused to leave the class, the students would talk about the homework from last week -- and that was just the first 10 pages. 

So that was me and the Deadass Academy. 

Additionally, I've noticed a trend in Star Wars RP circles, that too many Sith are nice, too many Jedi are evil. And all of them are incredibly horny. 

People enjoy kind-hearted villians a lot. It's enjoyable until everyone's the same.

All of them horny?! What?!

not Every Villain is pure evil. even the most evil of people have virtues and even the purest of people have vices.  the boring villain who craves nothing but destruction and has no motive has no place in any media. not even a saturday morning cartoon. even raiders can be reasoned with.

not Every Villain is pure evil. even the most evil of people have virtues and even the purest of people have vices.  the boring villain who craves nothing but destruction and has no motive has no place in any media. not even a saturday morning cartoon. even raiders can be reasoned with.

'Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.'

I think this describes what I think a villian is like more than anything. For me, a villian is a villian because as he/she try to achieve something, it might sacrifice something dear to the others.

I am totally fine with a villian that is not pure evil, but when the villian just lose track of what he or she is doing I do wonder if that should be called a villian. If the villian started helping a lot, make friends etc.

And if in the same RP multiple characters are like that, that's just absurd.

I don't think I have too many requirements, but I tend to be very hesitant and scared to join rps when I feel I won't be accepted, or people won't really interact with me in it. This means when there's a ton of people in it, when a lot of people are detailed in their posts, or when they just seem to cool for me to even enter their presence.

im too intimidated because I'm still a baby ;-;. even when I do post on interest checks, I end up not going on the rp simply because I feel like I wouldn't really be able to have fun or participate without annoying or irritating people, because I feel more of an add on than anything else.

Its also a common thing for me to be the first or only person to post on the IC, and the op just seemingly abandons it or doesn't follow through with it, and it makes me feel really awful about myself. Even a simple post saying that they're not going to be making the rp because there's a lack of interest would be better than not acknowledging me at all.

these are mostly with myself though. ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have too many requirements, but I tend to be very hesitant and scared to join rps when I feel I won't be accepted, or people won't really interact with me in it. This means when there's a ton of people in it, when a lot of people are detailed in their posts, or when they just seem to cool for me to even enter their presence.

im too intimidated because I'm still a baby ;-;. even when I do post on interest checks, I end up not going on the rp simply because I feel like I wouldn't really be able to have fun or participate without annoying or irritating people, because I feel more of an add on than anything else.

Its also a common thing for me to be the first or only person to post on the IC, and the op just seemingly abandons it or doesn't follow through with it, and it makes me feel really awful about myself. Even a simple post saying that they're not going to be making the rp because there's a lack of interest would be better than not acknowledging me at all.

these are mostly with myself though. ;p

Your too timid kid, jump In there with both feet, take a chance....

Things that are a deal breaker for me? Hmm...mmmm.... In all honesty I have to say a big deal breaker for me are roleplays that are completely without originality In all the worst ways, with a side of being completely unthought out and without the slightest clue of where It ends or about how It begins. 

....Even If the Idea Isn't entirely concrete I prefer the type of stuff that others really go out on a limb to think up and mold over time; the type of stuff a being puts there time and heart Into, In my eyes thats far much more preferable.

It's hard to explain but, while I might as well have A E S T H E T I C tattoo'd on my forehead, there's a certain demographic that just overdoes it. There's style but no substance. Everything looks like it's done by some basic beep, who came fresh off their ripped-off tumblr blog, and everyone's beautiful, but also edgy as fuck. And not just that, noooooononono.

Like, I get that, right? I mostly pick FCs I think are good looking, too. But the writing of this specific group of people is also convoluted and muddled and just terrible. (She said terrifyingly and awesomingly... or whatever). They also describe the way their god damn coat flies to the side and shows a bit of leg over three paragraphs, and it's just so fucking stylish and "MUH MYSTERIOUSNESS" like I can't even handle it.

But so because everyone is so edgy and beautiful and troubled, right, of course we all need to flirt and basically turn a story into a Twilight rip-off, where lore and adventure and plot is disregarded so that we can all do a mating dance around the one character that actually writes/reacts properly to the plot (if the GM can even bother to provide it at that point. Gotta take that greyscale pic of a cigarette, first) so we MIIIIIGHT get laid, finally, before everyone feels their itch is scratched, and we stop kidding ourselves this wasn't just an attempt for some instant gratification of one teeny tiny specific scene we wanted to play out.

I dunno. I'm probably just an old bitchass who complains about what the kids like, but to me that stuff is a huge turn-off.

Edit: Oh yeah. And academies. Like let's just do one big Oni-Chan loves Undertale/Homestock OC-sama Academy and be done with it. Throw Gajinka Pokemon in there too. Same old, same old.

Brought back this thread from the dead because ugh.

"I'm "ditch-friendly", i.e. apt to just drop off the face of the Earth without a word." [X]

"I only play as [insert gender here]. No doubling or side characters, either. Sorry not sorry." [XX]

"Limits? What limits? I'm up for anything." [XXXXXXX]

No. No, seriously. Anything? Really, come on, anything? So like:

Are you prepared to give up your character's life?

Are you prepared for your character to commit murder?

To have them commit acts of sabotage which may cause the death of hundreds of innocent people?

To have them betray their country to foreign powers?

Are prepared to have them cheat, to forge, to blackmail, to corrupt the minds of children, to distribute habit-forming drugs, to encourage prostitution, to disseminate venereal diseases – to do anything which is likely to cause demoralization?"

If, for example, it would somehow serve the interests of our RP to throw sulfuric acid in a child's face – are you prepared to have your character do that?

ETC. ETC. ETC.

Now, the first two requests are debatable, for sure, as is the fourth I guess. But I don't know, going any further than that just makes it feel as though folks are trying to channel Hatred (the video game). In which case... uh, yeah. I'm gone.

Last note on this before I go: if you are human, something gets under your skin. And that's okay! Please, just let me know what it is so I can avoid it and avoid inadvertently getting on your nerves!

*Quotes taken from 1984, if that wasn't already obvious.

Phew, I feel a little better now.

It's not a deal breaker but I'm kinda tired of people using super gorgeous people as face claims. Like, an average 19 year old does not look like a chiselled beauty with sharp jawline and cheekbones, deep eyes and perfect hair. It's unrealistic and makes it hard for me to imagine them even hanging out with my trashy, semi-homeless character.

Faceclaims...

I came from a community where we'd all draw our own characters, so the switch is really jarring for me. I know I can't gripe about them too hard because they're a part of the community, but it does feel a bit wrong seeing unsourced art everywhere. I'll probably get over this soon, but I don't think I'll ever use a claim myself. My characters don't feel like they belong to me until I've drawn them.

Im sure its been said before but...

Minimal post length limits. Yes I understand that constant one liner replies can get annoying, but so does always replying with a paragraph or two.

Example, if your character asks my character a simple question, I shouldn't have to type out a whole paragraph to simply tell them yes.

In combat or something yea paragraphs are fine but not when its just two characters having a conversation.

I have so many petty things that will get me to not even look at an RP. It's rediculous but its not like I have time for every sorta cool rp I see, might as well save myself for the good stuff.

An instant issue for me is when an rp doesn't have a name. Like the thread is called "zombie rp" or "thinking of doing a superhero thing" all I can think is "well you're clearly still figuring stuff out, when you have a clear picture of what your idea actually is I'll take a look then and see if it interests me."

I need to see some kind of vision from the GM, something that jumps out at me and suggests this person is passionate and invested in this idea otherwise hoe the hell am I supposed to get excited about it?

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but usually I write a lot. I love detail. So when my partner replies with one paragraph after I typed a novel, it's kind of upsetting. After that I just don't have the motivation to do it anymore.

Detail...to me, detail is one thing that goes on both spectrums. I'll accept a request for RP, and they can be really nice and friendly in OOC and just regular chats, but when it comes to RPs...they just have either very short posts with barely any detail, or insanely long posts that just make me shrink and feel like I can't make it up to par, and those who have long, overly dramatic and detailed post that urk me. Either way, it's hard to say that I don't feel too suited to RPing anymore, but it's just something I have to roll with.

Insane time requirements. Like if you expect me to literally have no life and be available to post or entertain you at all hours of the day and night and freak out if I dare to sleep for eight hours or actually go away for a few hours to make an actual living doing real life thingd

I really don't like when I have someone start and they already have my character in their grasp, completely controlling them. (tried to do a rp on another site today and this is what happened) Or just completely interrupting an rp that they had no part in, but still find a way to butt in. Long ass posts with just filler.. like really, three paragraphs of what i just said, You just copy and paste, mate? When It's obvious they only want to join your RP because their crush has joined and want to take it over. >.< like piss off.
And really the one posted above me, insane time requirements.. like.. i know I said I don't have a life.. but I wasn't put on this earth to entertain you, buddy.
Everyone is a furry/neko/wereanimal.
trying to play in a harry potter RP and everyone has to have an animagus AND be a werewolf or vampire AND a witch/wizard AND have the elder wand And be able to use nonverbal magic and be a legilimens... it just gets so irritating it's WORSE than being a Marysue/garystue, because I then feel like they are horribly bashing the world of Harrypotter.
Only playing one gender or (sorry tough) not wanting to have a gender even though they are human. I just don't like it. I don't like having to figure out all the terms the person wants to be called. Youre a male, or youre a female. Unless you want me to call you an 'it'. But seriously major peeve of mine.

When people try to rape my characters:
"OH....MY....GOD!." ~Janice Hosenstein

Really? You can't give me 3 short posts after I give you 3 detailed paragraphs for you to tell me "They took her hostage but since their bandits you know they're kinda "excited" hehe "

I mean REALLY!? REALLY?!
And most times it won't even make sense!! Like I'm She Hulk and you're Nightcrawler and suddenly his teleporting around groping her because he was "accidentally slipped an aphrodisiac"......NO....JUST...NO! *facepalms* I am a guy too so it's extra uncomfortable when all of a sudden I've been *knocked out and ragged into a van by two strange men who dress you up in a schoolgirls uniform" directly after stepping out of a bathroom in the middle of a busy restaurant in broad daylight!!!!

(Those typos aren't typos xD that's how they usually talk!)

Deal breakers for me...? Hmm... Let me refill my salt shaker.
  • Excessive use of frilly BBCode meant to impress me. Sure, you may gave a fantastic grasp of it and be quite talented, but pink backgrounds, scroll bars, and gif images shoved inside of div boxes can be jarring. That stuff also tends to be a huge magnet for people that color, italicize, and bold their dialogue in order to subliminally compete for attention. Some organization and cool stuff with BBCode is okay (and, in fact, encouraged!); but, please, keep it simple, in-line with the theme you're going for, and limited to the non-IC threads.

• Custom rule lists that prop the GM up on a moral high horse. There's a lot about a specific, common custom rule I see (that's already explicitly covered by RPN site regulations) that I can talk about ad nauseam, but I'll be... non-abrasive and just say this: grow up and stop demonizing.

• "Talk to me! Cuz I like OOC and chatting with mah franz!" ... Is that code for "I have no social life"? If so, here's a restraining order. I'm happy to communicate with my fellow RPers, but don't force me.

• This one may not be popular with some of you, but... Anything that requires stat tracking. Sorry, but I'm not a dice role player and have never been that interested in data that's not in an Excel spreadsheet or compiled after work hours. I also just straight-up dislike math. Screw math. :)

I like to have detailed pm discussions before actually starting a roleplay that way if there are any problems my partner and I can either continue or not. Not all the time does this work.

-I would walk away if I'm doing all the work with little or no help from a partner. If I wanted to go at it alone, I'd write a novel.

-Controlling my characters after I have expressed my disinterest in it.

-Telling me what picture I can use for my character.

-Telling me what I can and cannot write about. This will earn you a ticket on my bad list.

So far, I've walked away when the other player was too passive, when there was no chemistry between our characters and once when the other player started controlling my characters and would not stop when I asked her to.

So...

1: Ignoring (more of a rant)
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but I despise when characters are ignored. I've seen (and experienced) several cases where a character would enter a setting and be completely and utterly ignored–even if they did something that would have generally caught peoples' attention, such as accidentally bumping into them.

And then when you confront the player(s) about it, they're like, "well, why didn't you talk to my character???"
It's the exact reason why I find myself unable to play shy or mute characters because people generally miss or ignore the fact that they might've tapped on their shoulder or bumped into them (sometimes the only way to really get a conversation going with characters like that). I can't magically make a character who's supposed to be mute, soft-spoken, or shy yell "HEY, HOW ARE YA'" in all caps and completely ignore what I put down on the character sheet just to get some player's attention.

The ignoring generally leads to those ignored characters doing stupid things like blowing up cities and falling into the deep dark depths of insanity to the point where it'd be considered really annoying. After that, you either get told off for doing things like that or you're still ignored. It's really sad actually, which is why I generally stick to RPs I myself GM or ones that have players who I'm already friends with.

2: RPs with no sense of direction
Basically, RPs without a set direction of how it's supposed to go get really... dry.
I personally like RPs that the GM guide–like making sure everyone's where they're supposed to be, having the plot actually move forward with characterization and setting changes and whatnot. RPs with a sense of adventure. Which is probably the reason why I tend to stay away from "Fantasy Academy" RPs seeing as they never actually go anywhere despite the characters having powers and all that.

So...

2: RPs with no sense of direction
Basically, RPs without a set direction of how it's supposed to go get really... dry.
I personally like RPs that the GM guide–like making sure everyone's where they're supposed to be, having the plot actually move forward with characterization and setting changes and whatnot. RPs with a sense of adventure. Which is probably the reason why I tend to stay away from "Fantasy Academy" RPs seeing as they never actually go anywhere despite the characters having powers and all that.

Or they have plots too often, and it can get kinda overwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back