• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom DC Universe RP

ChibiMonkey

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?
5624-close-up-portrait-of-a-beautiful-brunette-pv.jpg

Name: Lillian Tanner
Profession: Counselor by day. "Holo" by night (See Bio).
Personality: She's typically very open minded, and very caring and empathetic, however, she also isn't a pushover and isn't easily fooled like many believe of her naively.
Bio: Lillian is a compassionate person, and having grown up on the outskirts of the narrows of Gotham, she hasn't had the easiest of lives. She grew up surrounded by corruption and villains, from small time thiefs to more. Despite this lifestyle hardening most people in that sort of situation into cold or careless criminals, Lillian strove in the opposite direction. Surrounded by constant darkness and pain of people around her, she decided she wanted to help people. That lead to her becoming a counselor, wanting to be someone that could be there for people. Not just rich people who could pay, but those in her childhood community as well who couldn't afford the sort of help many of them needed. She became a caring person not only in her daytime profession that she was known for, but also 'hero' or 'vigilante', what-be the name you chose, as someone who could protect those that couldn't protect themselves in their harsh environments. People who were innocent but not dealt the luckiest hand of cards, such as poor or innocents who weren't lucky enough to afford living in saver neighborhoods or homes, such things like those. This is where she is known as "Holo", a nickname given to her by the community that was short for 'Hologram'. Due to her abilities to be able to make either her entire, or just parts of her body become passable, or 'untouchable', such as if someone were to throw a punch at her, she could have the punch go right though her without actually touching her. Thus, citizens decided to give her the nickname of Holo, because she was like a hologram in that aspect.
Identifying marks: A tattoo on her back over her shoulder.
7476a9cbe5c428f4428575505a42ba4a--phoenix-tattoo-design-tattoo-phoenix.jpg

Last edited:
For the Hol family, late nights weren't uncommon. The Thanagarian police officers had come to Earth years ago, to learn police techniques and to pad out the war on their homeworld. A revolutonary group had taken hold of the government, wanting to redesign Thanagar into a bloodthirsty war nation (though, if you weren't part of the elites you would say that it already was just that) and that was when Katar Hol took his wife and fled.
His wife, Shayera, had chastized him for fleeing. In fact, she had been a member of the military for quite some time. She was more of a warrior than he was, though he had an imfamous temper too. But he knew that if they had stayed, they would've bene gunned down.
Currently, he had been away from the St. Roch city museum for 24 hours. He had been called on a sudden mission by Dr. Fate, and had been asked to work with Vixen and Typhoon, some other alien superhero. It went well, only Typhoon had her leg broken by some demon from hell. Now, he was carying her back, despite her complaints, to his loft in St. Roch so he could set that leg. He had worked with Typhoon a few times to know a little about her.

Typhoon was a she. She used electronics to hide the female tone to her voice. She also used magic to understand english. Without a dog-tag around her neck, she couldn't change forms or speak english.
She also didn't have health insurance, so he knew that she wouldn't get the leg fixed.
Claws dug deep into Hawkman's back Typhoon wriggled as he landed on his porch. "I'm fine." She hissed, ignoring the throbbing in her leg.
"If you're fine then you can walk home." Katar firmly said, hoisting Typhoon up on his shoulder so he had a free hand to open the glass sliding door. He entered the living room, looking around for his dutiful wife Shayera Hol. Not seeing her right away, he sat Typhoon in all of her armor down on the sofa, giving her a stern look that said he wanted her to stay put.
Typhoon folded her arms and rolled her eyes, not that he could see. She hated this. She hated being coddled and she didn't liked to be forced to do a damn thing, even if that meant healing.

Crane stood by a window. He was in another nameless party, in a different, uneventful city. After the showdown in Gotham he went low for awhile. His dedication to studying the effects of his fear toxin were temporarily put on hold while he tried to set up another front. He wanted a higher concentration, a stronger batch. More specifically, he wanted to see if he could make the effects of his fear toxin permanent.
But he couldn't do that in Gotham, at least, not right now. For the moment, he was in this boring city, smooshing with the wealthy under a false name to try and suckle their money to fund his experiments. Usually, the men where charmed by his wit and the older women would just sign their checkbooks if he simply smiled at them, so there wasn't any complications there.

Looking out the window he gave a sigh, while he didn't miss the abuse he recieved form the Batman, life was just so boring when he didn't have power over someone.

Lillian was at another charity event, mingling among the rich and comfortable. It wasn't particularly comfortable for herself, per-say, but it was necessary in her mind. While she didn't enjoy most of the wealthy figures, they were a large source of her income, and that income is what allowed her to do what she did. Both what people knew she did, such as being a well known and successful counselor for people, both rich and poor, but it also allowed her to live comfortable enough to be able to afford the time to protect the weak and innocent of the city.

Being a superhero half the time was difficult - not only due to the time it took and lack of sleep it provided her, but of course there were always eyes on her when she did appear as "Holo". A name she did not give herself. Though it was a secret identity, separate from her life as a popular successful counselor. She couldn't complain much. She supposed it wasn't the worst of things the journalists and citizens could come up with. And of course there were always people for and against her work. Just like any other superhero, not everyone thought of her as a superhero. But that wasn't what was important to her, as long as she was able to keep doing her work.

As she managed to escape the chatty wife of a client of hers, she sighed with a bit of relief before grabbing another glass of champagne and stepping to the side of the room, hoping to go unnoticed so she could at least get a few moments of peace and a breather. She watched the crowds of people, all rich and wealthy, mingling and laughing among each other without a care in the world. She really did find it fascinating how wrapped up in their own worlds people could be. She supposed that's why she enjoyed her job so much - she was a listener, a people-watcher. It fascinated her to watch how some people acted, when someone thought they weren't being watched.

~

Since their arrival on earth Shayera had become more comfortable with the move. It wasn't that she disliked earth by any means, though, more so she felt uncomfortable for fleeing from Thanagar. And while it seemed her and Katar argued on a lot of things, this being one of them, it never really changed anything and she eventually settled for the idea of living on earth. Though logically she did understand the need for it, she still felt she should be back on her home planet fighting for her people. But it wasn't all a loss, as even here on Earth there were plenty of things to keep her busy and to fight for.

Shayera was currently home when she knew Katar had to leave earlier on a sudden mission. She was unaware of what exactly the mission was, and as usual the fighter in her desired to go along to help, but that hadn't been what happened. It didn't seem to be long though when she heard Katar coming home, and as she entered the living-room area to greet him. "Welcome home, you're back soon. I take it it went well?" she spoke as she rounded the corner before pausing and seeing their guest. She was a bit surprised to see Typhoon there, clearly unhappy and injured "Mostly well then, it seems" she added, seeing that Thyphoon's leg was injured and swollen, likely broken, from the looks of it.

Watching the street below, Crane wondered if he had a can of his famous toxin here, how many of these elites would choose to die from falling?
He shook the thought out of his mind. It was tempting, but right now he had to play the nice guy to make his rent and a few extra K for buying chemicals.
He turned around, going to grab another glass of wine when he spotted an intriguing woman. He didn't recognize her off hand, and she didn't exactly look rich, but he found himself stopping near her.

"Hello. You look like you're enjoying yourself here." He said humorously, refering to how she looked so tired after escaping from that chatty woman. As an attendant walked by he swiped two fresh cups of red wine, handing the intriguing woman one and he kept the other for himself, taking a sip while he waited for her response.

Katar gave a grunt, something he often did. He was in the kitchen, digging out the first aid kit while Typhoon awkwardly removed her canid-looking helmet to reveal a human face.
She gave a small 'hello' and a wave at Shayera. God, she's beautiful. She thought. Her eyes traced the curvy body and stopped at the ear rings Shayera wore. On Thanagar, those were a sign of marriage. Like a wedding ring.

She looked over to Katar, who had removed his mask and was kneeling before her as he carefully touched her leg, before placing a small wodden pike against it and wrapping it with a soft bandage.
"Nice place you have here..." Renee remarked, she looked around the walls and noticed Katar collected artifacts. He had a huge interest in Earth's history, almost more than his actual home planet.

"Thank you." Came the stiff reply. Renee shifted slightly. She never knew Hawkman to be 'warm' except to anyone but his wife, Hawkgirl. In fact, most people would say he was a prick. Renee certaintly would agree. Though, he was fixing her leg up, so there was that.
She looked up aat Shayera with her bright blue eyes staring into Shayera's green, "You must be Hawkgirl." Though Renee mentally slapped herself. They both had wings. Of course it'd be hawkgirl.

As Lillian was distracted with watching the crowds and seeing how people interacted with one another, she smiled to herself. For no particular reason, other than it was amusing to people watch. Especially the elite. Maybe it was her good intuition, or what she did for a living, but she could pick out who characters were just by observing how they interacted with each other. Such as two couples that were chatting happily away with another, either close business partners, friends, or acquaintances, Lillian noticed the way the woman from couple B was reacting and subtle body movements in reaction to what male from couple A would say or do, and the way he likewise looked at the woman. An obvious affair. Though perhaps not so obvious to the halves of the couples that were being cheated on.

She shook her head a bit in amusement before a voice pulled her out of her thoughts. She'd been lost in thought and distracted she hadn't noticed the man that had stopped beside her until he spoke up to her. She smiled a bit at him politely with a shrug of her shoulders "I could think of worse things" she said with an amused smile, before taking the glass of wine he offered her "You would think someone like me would be a socialite, loving these events. But I suppose with being a counselor all day long I relish in the moments that I don't have to be so conversational in my day" she smiled before holding out a hand to him to shake as she introduced herself "Lillian Tanner. You are?"

~

Shayera was unaware of the Typhoon's eyes tracing along her body, since while perhaps Shayera wouldn't admit it, but she was intrigued by their new guest and eyes her curiously as well, more so since she didn't know who she was. It certainly wasn't a sign of suspicion or distrust by any means, if anything, it was more so simple curiosity since she didn't know Katar to make friends really. If that's what this was, anyways. And while the married couple perhaps didn't always see eye to eye, and were both stubborn, Shayera had a considerable amount of trust in Katar. She figured the now female looking figure with the helmet removed, was likely a colleague of Katar's that he worked with or something similar to that effect.

She noticed Katar gathering medical supplies to help set and bandage the woman's leg, and so she helped, grabbing some bandages as he was splinting it and handing them to him before hearing the female speak up greeting her. She smiled a bit in amusement as she looked to her "What gave it away?" she joked lightly, seeing the girl seemed nervous due to the fact that she seemed to realize the obviousness of her question, so she was trying to help her lighten up and relax a bit "You can call me Shayera. You are?" she asked curiously, since she still had yet to know whom their guest was.

"Johnny Tattum." Crane lied with a bright smile on his face, he took her hand and shook it. "A councler? Must be interesting, at the very least. Where do you work?" He didn't know the names of facilities here, so mainly he asked just to keep her talking.
He took a sip out of his wine, eyes still locked onto her. "I studied psychology as well, at Gotham. Is there a specific field that interests you?" He could chat pyschology all day without being bored, finally, he perhaps had found someone who could keep him interested enough. Usually, at these events if he was locked into a conversation for more than five minutes he'd want to fall asleep!

"Honestly? The hair." Renee teased, an honest attempt to try and make her laugh.
"Most people know me as Typhoon, but when I'm not in the suit I'm called Renee." She explained, turning to watch Katar suspiciously as he finished wrapping her leg up. She was glad he didn't bother trying to give her any pain meds, because she'd just refuse to take them.

Standing up, Katar turned to regard Shayera. "She helped us a few months ago with Magog." It had been a huge event which required numerous superheroes, so it was unlikely they met one on one, but Typhoon and Shayera fought alongside one another.

Renee paused quietly for a moment, before loking back at Katar. "Thanks for fixing my leg up. You really didn't have to do that."
Katar just shrugged. "It's fine." He looked over to the clock and noticed it was nearly 7 PM. Just in time for supper.
He looked back over to Shayera. "Would you want to have a guest for dinner tonight?" He asked. He had this habit of doing things without asking Shayera, and he wasn't really asking his wife anything right now as she was put on the spot light.

Shaking his hand as they introduced themselves, she let go after a moment and took another sip of her wine as he asked about her job. She smiled a bit and nodded her head "It certainly is very interesting. Aside from getting to help people, I enjoy meeting different types of people, learning about them. I find it fascinating how some people can just completely and openly divulge to a stranger than to someone close to them, such as a family member. I think I just find people in general interesting" she said with a light shrug of her shoulders, before he asked where she worked and she further responded, answering him.

When he brought up his studies and interest in psychology she grew more interested in the man before her "Really all of it interests me. Are you knew to the area then if you lived in Gotham? Or did you only study there?" she asked curiously, wondering if he was from Gotham, and if so what brought him to this party. Either way though, she found his company to be interesting, and though a stranger, she didn't mind conversing with him. He was proving more interesting than having clients or such gossiping rich wives talking to her, so she certainly welcomed his company.

~

She couldn't help but smile a bit in amusement with a slight laugh at her response to her joking remark. Well, it was good to see her lighten up a bit, that seemed to be proving true. She nodded her head lightly, as the woman was introduced to her and she got her name, before Katar spoke up adding in how she had been one of the many to fight alongside with them in the Magog event. "Oh, is that so?" she asked curiously with a smile as she looked back to Typhoon "Well, we're certainly grateful to have had your help. Everything turned out well in the end due to everyone's help and efforts in that event."

She was trying to make small talk and make the woman feel welcome, though was a bit caught off guard by Katar's more rhetorical statement than anything. Though she supposed she shouldn't be after all this time. It wasn't like she minded having the guest for dinner, but it did irritate that temper of hers when Katar basically took order of things. What was she supposed to say, no? With Renee right there in front of them when he 'asked'? Smiling politely, she shook her head "Of course, it's not a problem at all. Would you join us, Renee?" she offered back to the woman "I'll go finish making dinner" she excused herself once receiving Renee's response.

"I used to reside in Gotham, yes. But I found it was becoming increasingly hostile, so I sought out for greener pastures. " He replied, moving out of the way as more couples walked near them. He sought to be isolated when he was talking to someone. He wasn't exactly 'social'.
"What about yourself? Where did you study?" He didn't expect a fancy institution, and for the most part he didn't think high brand univerisities mattered. His co-workers up at Gotham-U mocked his work. Clearly, you didn't have to be the brightest to work at such a prestigous university.

Renee smiled, noting the awkwardness in the room but she tried to ignore it. "Sure, if it isn't a problem." She agreed. Katar gave a nod, "I have to go work on something, but I'll be back shortly." Mostly, he had paperwork to fill out for his day job. He had taken a position up with the museum. This also meant he was leaving Shayera to entertain the guest he invited.
He excused himself and left the women, Renee awkwardly shifting on the couch as she struggled to stand, originally planning on standing in the kitchen beside Shayera so they could keep conversing.
"So, Earth, it's uh, different right?" She wouldn't say it was great. "Fast food is nifty." But she missed her traditional foods from her home planet.

As he mentioned the growing hostility and violence in Gotham, Lillian nodded her head in complete understanding. After all, she grew up around the narrows in Gotham. Gotham itself was already a violent hot-spot, but the narrows were some of the worst spots in Gotham. So she knew fully well about the violence in Gotham. Hearing he went to Gotham University was a bit surprising though, mainly because she thought she would have recognized him, as she had gone there too for a bit. Though, she was intensely focused on her studies during her time there as she was on a nearly full scholarship. And they easily could have been a few years apart in their studies.

"I actually transferred and went to Gotham for a couple years as well, to finish my remaining years. Though I wasn't there for too long because of the transfer. And I can't exactly deny your comment of Gotham's growing hostility...but the place is home to me, so I can't help but love it" she said with a shrug of her shoulders "What brings you to this event anyways, Mr. Tattum?" she asked curiously, wondering what a man who seemed knew to the area was doing at the event.

~

As it was decided, mostly entirely if not completely by Katar, that Renee would be joining them for dinner, Shayera headed back to the kitchen to work on the meal and do just that. Though as she was leaving to work on dinner, Katar also seemed to be excusing him, and she looked to him in a bit of irritation - though he wasn't looking at her and therefore oblivious. It wasn't that she disliked Shayera. However she was Katar's guest, and he was just basically dumping their guest on her for her to tend to. She sighed a bit in irritation, but hearing Renee shifting around in a struggle, she swallowed her irritation with her husband and turned back to Renee "Here, let me help you. You still shouldn't use that leg just yet."

Helping the woman into the kitchen and where she could sit to rest on a stool while they conversed, and Shayera....figured out how she was going to entertain their guest whom she'd only just met. As she was pulling out the supplies and ingredients, she started cooking when hearing Renee speak up, before letting out a small laugh "Well, I can promise you I won't be serving any fast food" she joked lightly "but yes...Earth certainly is different."

Crane was annoyed that she went to Gotham U. If she was inclined, she could perhaps find out that there was no such Tattum in Gotham U. Hopefully, that wouldn't happen. But he needed to be more careful.
"Money begging, actually. My research, which is independant from corporations, requires a lot of money. So I've come here to ask these elites; For the most part, they are very happy to help. " He eluded mentioning exactly what his research was just yet.

"And you?" He turned the spotlight onto her, wanting to get her talking aout herself so he'd stop the risk of over-sharing information. "Why are you here?"

Renee smiled. "that's okay. I'm sure whatever you cook will be awesome." She comented, looking around the kitchen as she sat in silence for a moment.
"I'm sorry about er, being here. You know, I told Katar I'd be fine but...he doesn't seem to hear anything he doesn't want to hear." She remarked, something Shayera was possibly very familar with. She leaned against the counter, drumming her hands. She thought about talking about Thanagar, but she knew the planet was having a revolt right about now. Slaves rioting, the poor slaughtering the entitlted, it made the Soviet revolution of 1917 look like a joke. So she decided against it.

"You know, I've seen your work. On TV. You're quite the warrior. Ever had to clean blood off that mace?" She asked, knowng a thing or two about weapons. She could tell that some of the beautiful weapons on the wall were Shayera's mainly because Carter pinned things to be neat and pretty but Shayera's torn a sword or two off the wall, so there was aslight tear on the hinges that held said swords.

Lillian noticed the slight expression cross over his face when she mentioned how she too had gone to Gotham U, and tilted her head a bit curiously as she watched him, but didn't say anything about it. After all being in her profession she'd come to be able to easily pick up traces of expression changes and body behavior and such. So she didn't miss the look of possible...annoyance?...when she mentioned where she'd gone. She shook it off though, and didn't think too much of it as the conversation continued.

Hearing him bring up he was here for research funding, she grew curious, and tilted her head as she wanted to hear more about it, before he was already redirecting the question back onto her "Oh, well I'm mostly here for my clients. A lot of them come to these things, and my having happy clients means I get to keep those clients, which of course helps my work" she said with a shrug of her shoulders, before going back to him, curious about the research he was talking about "So what's this funding you're looking for? I'm a generous person, perhaps I'll donate to your research if it's interesting enough" she smiled since she wanted to hear more about it."

~

Hearing Renee apologize, possibly having picked up on the slight awkwardness between the situation of Renee staying for dinner, Shayera looked over her shoulder at the woman and smiled "It's not a problem, really. I don't mind at all" she assured her as she turned her attention back onto the cooking at hand in front of her. Hearing her comment about Katar and not listening to what he didn't care about, only hearing what he wanted, she sighed a bit with a roll of her eyes - though that couldn't be seen with her back turned to Renee.

"You could say that. Katar....isn't the best communicator" she commented softly before she was being asked about her mace. She smiled a bit "More times than I can count, sure" she replied as she was cutting up some of the ingredients and mixing them together as they cooked.

"I'm researching fear. Specifically, trauma, what triggers it, and how chemicals can be compounded to perhaps ease trauma." That's what he tolds the socialites, at least. It was in fact the opposite, but no one but him needed to know that.
"So far we've had limited success, and a few setbacks. But it's proven to be helpful." He was great at lying, in fact, he had rehearsed this many times so it sounded natural, without hesitation.

He finished his wine, setting it down on a table. When a waiter boy walked by he held his hand up to grab the lad's attention, and swiped another glass of wine. If he had to come to these boring events he thought he might as well take advanatage of the free alcohol.

Renee smiled, she wasn't going to speak more ill of Katar. Though, usually everyone had a complaint about him. It was no secret that people had strong opinions on Hawkman. Often, they called him the 'savage' hawkman, because he could be quite brutal during combat.
"Whatcha cookin? Smells great." She sniffed the air, wishing she could hop up and see for herself.

Hearing him explain briefly what it was he was researching, she grew more curious "That's quite an interesting topic" she commented curiously as she took another swig of her wine, her glass nearly empty now as she thought about the topic he was talking about "Not many people go into that kind of research. I imagine it can get pretty dark at times. Still, that's impressive, not many people can face and deal with fears on such a daily basis" she commented as she finished her glass and set it down.

"have you learned anything interesting?" she asked, genuinely interested in the topic and curious what he had learned so far in his research, if anything. He said there hadn't been a significant amount of success with it yet, but what intrigued her more than the topic, was the fact there was someone dedicated enough to focus so much on such a topic.

~

Unlike how Renee and many others who knew Hawkman were, Shayera didn't have a problem talking down about the man a bit. While she did care for him in a way, and he was her husband, they often didn't see eye to eye on many subjects, and Shayera wasn't one to bite her tongue just because she was married. In fact, it was probably because they were married that she could get away with complaining about him occasionally. Now she didn't hate hawkman by any bit. But he did know how to get under her skin and irritate her.

As she was starting to finish up cooking dinner, she heard Renee asking about the food. "A mixed stir fry. I hope it's as good as it smells" she said with a smile when she said it had smelled great. She started setting the table for it while noticing Katar was still absent - no surprise there, really. Looking back to Renee, she smiled "Please, help yourself to as much as you'd like."

He paused for a moment, chosing his words carefully. "I learned that many people, regardless of how much support or encouragement you give them, cannot in fact face their fears. Few try, and fewer can cope with the outcomes." He sipped his wine some more, trying to think of how he can make his subject less dark. But he couldn't. So he sipped his wine some more.

"It's not cheerful, or plesant. But it's what I do. " It cheered him up to watch someone face their fears, at the very least.
Renee scooted her stool closer to the counter as she stared at the table from afar. "Er, " she stood up, and awkwardly made her way to the table. She sat herself down and admired the food for a minute, before she took a bite.
"I don't know what you were worried about. This is great!" She purred like a cat, wolfing the food down. Most of her money went to rent, so she only really ate well on payday.

It was around this time Katar returned. He sat himself down next to Shayera, leaning over to plant a kiss on her cheek. "Sorry, just paperwork. I needed to get it done before work tomorrow." He explained softly, despite them both having planned for Earth to be a temporary home, he sure cared a lot about his human career.

OOC: My last post for tongiht. Take care.

Lillian listened to him as he explained his research and what he'd found out regarding it so far. While it certainly was a dark topic, it didn't bother her all that much. Unlike most of the people, women in particular in this room, who really would rather not hear about the details and the dark unfortunate side of the work about the fear and it's control over the human mind...she found it interesting. Maybe because of her side work as a superhero that she did, such dark and twisted things didn't phase her all that much, since she already dealt with such things pretty frequently.

"I see. Well I still think it's rather impressive you've taken the time and money to invest in such a topic. Not many other people are that strong when it comes to fears" she commented as she looked to him "What about you. Do you have any fears?" she asked before smiling a bit apologetically "I apologize. Perhaps that's too personal of a question considering we've only just met. I was simply curious since it's part of your work" she said as she dismissed her own question.

~

Shayera finished setting the table with the food, before she offered to help Renee to the table, since she was still injured of course and not wanting her to further injure her leg or put too much pressure on it or anything. Shayera then sat down once Renee was all set, motioning for her to eat up. She smiled a bit at the reaction to her food she got, which made her feel good. Shayera knew she wasn't a bad cook or anything by any means, but it was still nice to be told the food was good and appreciated.

She was about to go get Katar, when he had arrived and entered the room, finally joining them. She just gave him a slight smile as he apologized about his work and how he had to do it, though rather than say something stubborn and irritated to him, with a guest at the table she let it go and rather just said nothing at all. He was always trying to stay on top of his job. Which, wasn't a bad thing really...but Shayera could tell how attached Katar was becoming to Earth the longer they stayed. "It's too bad that we aren't back home at Thanagar. You wouldn't have to stress so much about all this paperwork there" she jabbed a bit as she took a bite of her food.

A twinge of pain formed on Crane's face for a mere moment. Yes. He had fears. Sometimes in the dark he was reminded of his caretaker who would torture him as a boy. * Trap him in locations and let him stew in his fear. He knew that as an adult he could defeat the old woman, but the thought of her still caused his heart to race and his blood pressure to rise.

"Yes, " He said with a slight chuckle in his voice, "I have fears. I'd go as far to say everyone does, and if someone by some chance doesn't have any fears, well, they're just a fool." He could go on about some theorized fears were evolution's way of keeping humans safe, like how those afraid of spiders were avoiding all the toxic spiders in the wild. But he assumed his female companion was familair with all of that.

"And you? What are you afraid of?" He wanted to know. He loved to know the fears of people.
Renee paused eating, cocking her head. "What was your jobs?" She asked, curious enough.
Katar gave Shayera a dissapointed look, he felt she didn't appreciate the hard work he put in as a museum director on Earth. But he turned to gaze at Renee.
"I was a police officer, Shayera was too but before the civil war on our planet she had started her military training." He took a bite out of his food, still looking at Renee. "What about you? What did you do on your homeworld?"

Renee shifted slightly, uncomfortable by the question but she chose to answer it regardless.
"I used to be in the military. Artic infantry. I served a year or so before an avalanche took out my troop, so I walked to the enemy side and became a prisoner of war. After that I decided not to return home, try to find somewhere nicer to live." She wouldn't get into the politics of her home planet.

"Must've been hard, fighting in the artic." Hawkman commented, having little skill in such a thing.
"It's more terrifying than fighting in the desert." Renee remarked, taking another bite out of her food.
"How so?" Katar asked, curious enough.

Renee shifted slightly again, leaning back in her chair.
"Well, here's the thing about the desert. You get delerious. Sure, you can feel your body deteriorating but you're also getting delusional and confused. But in the artic, you aren't delusional. You can feel your body slowly shut down and see the ice building on you. " She explained. "I got frostbite on one of my paws, and had to walk on it for miles. It was the most painful part of my time served. Not the starvation or even a few bullet holes, but the enviorment gettin' to me was the kicker." She added, noting that Hawkman looked a bit suprised.

Woops. Renee thought to herself. She should've talked about something else.
"So, I have a question." She changed the subject.
"Shoot." Katar turned his eyes back on his food.
"Do your wings, like, shed? Feathers, I mean."

She noticed the slightly pained expression cross his face when she asked about his fears. She was about to add that he needn't really answer if he didn't want to. The topic of their own fears was easy to bring up, considering they were talking about his research of fear in general and all. But normally, in most other instances, it wasn't really a normal thing to bring up and talk about with someone you've only just met, as many would consider it too personal. While it was a good guess most people had fears, some more extreme than others, no one ever usually liked admitting to them or talking about them. As though it was some sign of weakness, when in reality, it was really quite natural.

She agreed with him when he said everyone had fears, and she nodded her head in agreement to that statement. "I'd have to agree with you on that point. I think everyone has something to be afraid of, even as irrational as some fears may sound, to that individual, they can be completely rational. It's interesting how minds are wired and can be so different, when physically, they are all the same" she commented, before he was asking about her own fears.

"I'm afraid of a lot of things, I suppose" she said with a shrug of her shoulder, spotting an attendant walking by with more alcohol, and she stopped him to grab a fresh glass since she had finished her previous one. Thinking about her own fears. And she really did have a lot, from her childhood and the events that lead to her abilities and powers that she had, to simple things like daily uncertainties and the unknown. "It's normal for everyone to have fears, in the kind of world we live in. But i think what's important is knowing how not to let those fears control you."

~

Shayera didn't miss the look she received from Katar at her small, almost bitter remark she had made regarding their home, and she honestly wasn't really all that surprised by it. She often made a point to Katar about how she still regretted leaving Thanagar in the state that it was. Perhaps logically, it was the safest decision for them. And sure she'd grown more comfortable on Earth. However she still felt that it was shameful to abandon their home planet, and she often made point to remind Katar whenever he was too invested or attached to his work here on Earth, that it was Thanagar that was their home, not Earth.

When Katar got Renee talking about her previous work for her birth planet, and what she did, Shayera became more interested in the woman and what she did as she started to talk about the war and battles she did, specifically talking about the arctic climate she had to endure. It really was quite impressive, because like Katar, Shayera also hadn't experienced such fighting in those such elements. When Renee turned to asking about their wings and if they shed feathers, she looked to her curiously "What makes you interested in that?"

He nodded slowly. That was all true, but still it was somthing he already knew. "Truth be told, I think I still want to live in a world with fears. It'd just be so boring if we were never afraid." He said darkly, finishing his glass of wine, though he made no suggestion he wanted to drink more.

"I should schmooze more with the money bags. I hope to see you at another one of these, Ms...what was it? Forgive me, I have terrible memory." He asked, wanting to catch her name again. Unlike most of the peons here, he'd be remembering her.

Renee just shrugged. "I dunno. I thought it looked soft." Truth be told she wanted to touch the wings. The looked really cozy.
Katar's own wings twitched slightly, as he looked up at Renee. "They do, so we often have to pick them up around the house. It's rather obnoxious during the summer." It wasn't quite as bad during the winter, he thought.

"That's coo. Normally I look more like a dog. I shed a lot too." She admitted. That would explain the canid nature of the suit.
"You can change forms?" Katar asked, he suspected as such but he's never seen her out of the suit before.
"Yeah. I have several of them. I just chose this one because I figured you'd be more comfortable with it. Most humans are, at least." She scratched the back of her neck, finishing her food.

OOC: I hope I am doing okay.

The man certainly was interesting, that was for sure. He talked about such dark topics not just as if they were normal for him but...like he enjoyed them. It could be a bit offsetting, but at the same time, it was really interesting. He was unique that was for sure, and she was sure she wouldn't be forgetting him any time soon. He was one of the few people at this part that she actually found interest in talking to.

When he brought up mingling with others for his purpose of getting more money, she recalled something "Oh yes, that reminds me" she said as she set her glass of wine down for a moment before pulling out her wallet "I wasn't lying when I'd said I'd help, so please, take this" she said as she wrote a check for him for his research "I do hope it helps in your research, and good luck" she nodded to him with a smile, not knowing she was writing a check to help fund something much, much more criminal and sinister than what he had been letting on to. "And it's Lillian Tanner" she said with a nod as she picked her glass of wine back up after putting her wallet away and everything.

~

When Renee explained how she was interested because the wings looked soft, and further explained how she was typically in a form more like that of a dog and therefore also shed a lot, it made more sense to Renee. Though the fact she changed forms was new information, but hearing how she shed too, Shayera figured that's also where her interest had stemmed from.

Hearing Renee say she typically chose this form because humans typically were more comfortable with it, Renee smiled a bit "Well, as you can see we're not exactly human ourselves. So I don't think you need to worry about that with us, anyways" she spoke, interested in Renee's other form and what it looked like, but not wanting to pry and ask to see it or anything, despite her curiosity.

He watched her, a small smile creeping onto his face. "Thank you. You don't know how much it means to me." He said with a pleasant smile. Not only was she good company, she was useful too. Normally there'd always a 'but', yet so far there wasn't a hangup.

"Perhaps we can meet again?" He asked, not wanting to rely on chance to meet with her. "I'm sure I can push around a few appointments, if you can also make some time." He folded the check neatly and stuffed it into his suit where it would be safe.
*I***
Renee just smiled. Once everyone had finished Katar stretched, his wings expanding as he did so.
"Where do you live? I'll fly you back. " He offered, noting that renee's gear was still on the couch.
"I live in central-Texas. That's not too far, is it?" Renee asked, unsure of just how long the hawks could fly. She assumed fairly long, as Carter always seemed to fly everywhere.

"It won't be a problem." He assured. He looked to his wife Shayera and leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheek affectionately. "Do you want to come with? Or are you turning to bed early?" He asked, gathering the plates to put them in the sink.

Renee was looking over at Shayera with interest in her eyes. She hoped the woman joined her. Something about her made Renee want to hang out with her more.

After handing him the check and about to let him go off to mingle with other wealthy participants of the party, she was a bit surprised when he asked about them possibly meeting again. She honestly thought he was mostly being nice and conversational because he was just here to try and get some funding for his research. Which perhaps that was all he really was here for, but so she wasn't expecting him to be interested in meeting her again.

Smiling a bit, she nodded her head "Sure, I like the sound of that" she said, reaching back into her purse and pulling out a business card, handing it to him "My number and email are on there, please feel free to contact me when you have the time" she spoke as she handed her card to him so that way they would have a way to communicate to meet up again some time.

~

As the meal was finishing up, Shayera looked to Katar when he offered to bring Renee back home. Shayera was getting up and collecting the dirty dishes and everything to clean later once their guest was taken care of, and Shayera glanced to Katar feeling the kiss on her cheek and asking if she'd like to join or retire to bed early that night.

"I'll come along. My wings could use the stretch" she said as she set the dishes in the sink and turned back around to look to Renee, and back to Katar "You've been working all day, if you'd like to rest now I can handle taking her home myself so you can get some sleep. I don't mind at all...if Renee is alright with that, that is" she suggested as she looked back over to their guest with a small smile.

He took the items and smiled. "Have a good night." He said pleasantly. He couldn't wait to converse with her again. She was the only person as of late that could hold an intellectual conversation with him. He patted his suit, where he had her number and check neatly stored, and then returned to schmoozing with the wealthy.

OOC: Time skip? Set us up for whatever scene you like.

Katar looked from Shayera to Renee for a moment, noting them staring at one another. "Sure, " Renee said, a smile creeping up on her face. She couldn't help but admire Shayera. "I'd be okay with that."

Katar, none the wiser, shrugged. "Alright, I'll go to bed. Just be careful, okay? You have my comm link if something goes wrong." He told Shayera, nearing her again as he wrapped his wings around her temporarily to hug her, giving her another kiss, this time on the lips.

Renee watched the tender moment and then awkwardly made her way back to the couch, gathering her battle armor and shoving it in a dufflebag.

Lillian smiled a bit and nodded to him "You too" she spoke as she watched him wander off to other people he'd yet to speak to that looked generous enough in their pockets. Something about the man intrigued her, what, she wasn't exactly sure, however. And because she didn't know him all that well yet, she had no idea the curiosity she felt towards him was not because of normal things such as his personality or charm or anything normal.

A couple days later, as the sun had started to set Lillian was shifting from her day job. She'd gotten home a couple hours ago and took some time to relax, but now that the sun had set, crime was about to rise in those coming night hours, and just like most nights, Lillian suited up in her disguise and uniform as Holo, where her face was mostly covered, at least enough so that she wasn't recognizable, and she took to the dark streets of the city that crawled with criminals.

~

Shayera smiled a bit when Renee seemed fine with just her taking her home. Shayera didn't know at first if Renee would be comfortable with it, since the girl knew Katar more than herself. But she seemed fine with the idea, and Shayera did concern herself with Katar's own well-being a bit too, since he had being going all day, first the mission, and then the paperwork he had been determined to finish up. Once it was agreed that Shayera could handle taking Renee home herself, she nodded a bit.

Looking to Katar, she smiled and kissing him back as he had embraced her closely "I"ll be fine. Just some simple traveling, it's not as if it's a dangerous mission" she said as she smiled up to her husband lightly "Get some rest, you deserve it" she said before stepping away from Katar once he had let go of her from the affectionate embrace.

Crane's days had been rather busy. He had to cash the checks, of course. Buy the chemicals, dump the corpses, and find new test subjects. Only it was becoming harder and harder to find. So unfortunately he had to dawn his iconic costume.
Face covered by a disgusting looking burlap sack piece, he placed his noose around his neck and prowled the streets. He had a new batch of toxin just in case some cop tried to stop him, but he mostly stuck to the shadows, snatching the homeless or the weaker looking pedestrians from the shadows.

Near Holo, there would be a short scream, one that was cut off near the end as someone was pulled into the shadows, and silenced.
Crane stood over the young woman, sticking a needle in her neck with a strong sedative. She wouldn't be fully conscious for hours, which would allow him to tie her up and throw her in a testing chamber for tomorrow.

With that, Katar left. He had no plans to do the dishes, just wash up and go to bed. All the while Renee had gathered her things and was sitting on the couch, waiting for something to happen.
When she saw Shayera walk towards her she stood up, awkwardly. "So uh, you think it's cold outside?" She had noticed it was a little chilly when Katar flew her down, but now an hour had passed and the sun had set, leaving only the moon and the street lights to guide their way down to Texas.

Lillian had just finished up helping an old woman with the classic thief stealing her purse. How original, Lillian thought with a roll of her eyes. It only took her a minute to track the man down and retrieve the stolen belongings from him, handing them back to the victim. She smiled to the woman who thanked her - she was a known hero in this area of town, even if the people who weren't ever victims thought she was an annoying vigilante of sorts. Just as she was finishing with the woman, she heard a scream not to far in the distance, instantly catching her attention. Looking back to the elder woman, she smile lightly "Hurry on home now, I've got to get going" she said, before she left the woman and hurried off in the direction of the scream.

Turning down an alleyway, she stopped short seeing an unconscious woman on the ground with a man who's back was to her hovering over the woman. Narrowing her eyes, she glared "What do you think you're doing?" she snapped at the man to catch his attention, watching him carefully in case he tried to either make a run for it, either by himself or with the woman, or if he had a weapon to use, again, either against the woman, or herself.

~

After moving from Katar as he turned and headed to the bedroom to retire for the night, Shayera headed into the other room that Renee had waited in, passing by the dirty dishes in the sink. She knew she told Katar to go to sleep, but she figured he could be kind enough to do the dishes since she'd be out returning Renee home. Another thing for her to do when she got home, she supposed.

Smiling to Renee as she entered the living room area, she glanced out the window when she asked about the temperature "It'll probably be a bit cold, since we'll be flying especially" she commented before looking back to Renee. She didn't see what much it mattered however, considering that it's not like Renee had spare clothes on her to change into or anything. Though maybe thats what she was wondering for? "Did you...want a jacket or something for the flight?" she asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back