Advice/Help D&D Instructor Needed

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello there!

So, recently I've begun looking into exploring this whole other side of roleplaying, dice roleplaying, specifically I wanted to experiment participating in a D&D campaign. The problem, however, is that the few people who seem to even go to the dice section are either newbies like me or people who know how to play but don't want to DM/GM. I did manage to get into one campaign, though, and it's GM basically vanished. At first glance, the solution might simple: Start one myself, just GM it myself or find someone who will do it. And I considered that, though either case is problematic for the reasons explained before: I don't fully understand D&D's system and most people who do seem utterly determined to never GM...

This is of course, not including those who are currently involved in already closed campaings.

So the request I have today is to have someone who will instruct me on how to play and the nuances of the game. We'll be dealing with the 5th edition, since that one seems to be the most popular at the moment, and I need to start somewhere. Plus in the one campaign in which I am almost participating in that version was used, so I do have some basic knowledge, but I do still have plenty of doubts and don't fully understand the nuances of the game. And I want someone who will guide me through the process of being someone with a decent enough understanding that I could start a campaign myself.

Thank you for your time!

Thank you! Though, I doubt it would be so short... After all, I'm hoping to learn of the details rather than the broad strokes, seeing how the broad strokes I've acquired through research

I’m a pathfinder D&D guy, so 5th edition is not really my thing, but if you ever get into pathfinder we can talk!

There are two modern embodiments (or to be fair LATEST embodiments) of D&D... 5e, which is the latest edition by wizards of the coast, and Pathfinder, a D&D system produced by Paizo (see Paizo.com) I find pathfinder easier and more streamlined and in some ways less "overpowered" -- or at least that's what I'm told overmuch. It's just a different version of D&D -- I've never played 5e, but I've played a whole mess of pathfinder.

The background world of pathfinder is more attractive to me as well, as is "Society Play" which is an aspect of pathfinder that might really suit your purposes. Pathfinder society is a way for people who have never played before to get together and play a one-off game, and still keep the progression of their characters. Society play happens at game stores and other venues all over... if you wanted to learn how to play D&D in person you should do some googling about pathfinder society in your area and you could be learning and playing D&D sooner than you think.

There are two modern embodiments (or to be fair LATEST embodiments) of D&D... 5e, which is the latest edition by wizards of the coast, and Pathfinder, a D&D system produced by Paizo (see Paizo.com) I find pathfinder easier and more streamlined and in some ways less "overpowered" -- or at least that's what I'm told overmuch. It's just a different version of D&D -- I've never played 5e, but I've played a whole mess of pathfinder.

The background world of pathfinder is more attractive to me as well, as is "Society Play" which is an aspect of pathfinder that might really suit your purposes. Pathfinder society is a way for people who have never played before to get together and play a one-off game, and still keep the progression of their characters. Society play happens at game stores and other venues all over... if you wanted to learn how to play D&D in person you should do some googling about pathfinder society in your area and you could be learning and playing D&D sooner than you think.
I'll consider your advise! For now, I was hoping to play it with the RPN community here, but if I ever venture out IRL, I'll may just see where your advise leads me.

Thanks again and happy RPing!

Hiya!

I'm actually DMing an ongoing 5e campaign with my friends, so I can totally help you! Just later. Right now it's 2 AM. :D

Honestly, I picked up D&D and built my own campaign from scratch before I ever knew how to do it well, and it turned out fine! Read up on the rules, maybe run a couple mock battles with custom characters and monsters to get a feel for it, and then just dive in. Geek and Sundry has some great DM tips videos on Youtube with Matt Mercer, and they make the prospect of being a first timer way less terrifying. I'm always happy to answer questions and give tips if you need them!

I can't instruct you, as I lack much experience on my own, but you may find some enlightenment in the contents of this site:
d20PFSRD

I can't instruct you, as I lack much experience on my own, but you may find some enlightenment in the contents of this site:
d20PFSRD
Thank you. I did already use that side for a nice chunk of research though, I'm afraid. Nonetheless I appreciate your attempts to aid me :)

Hey there. Sorry for the long delay before responding to the Tab. I am not sure what tutoring sessions would look like, but if you were interested, I have been doing the DM thing since I was about 10 (in 1983) and have run adventures in everything from Redbox up to and including 5th edition. I don't have as much experience as B Bag o Fruit with 5e, but I *do* have more free time than he does. If you want, I could run a short adventure for you?

I have tons of home-brew material that I could use to sketch out a setting. Admittedly, I have never GM'd on a forum RP before, but I have been writing for welian welian for about 2 years now. If you'd like to learn, I think that is the best way how: just to dive in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back