• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"Oh, right. Well, we'll all get out once the curse is gone, right?"

Erina spoke up again. "Is that the goal? To dispell the curse?"

Jerry thought about that for a moment as they came up to the door to the next area. "Well, the curse on me isn't so big a deal once I got used to it. The island, definitely, when that thing's gone, so am I. I'm never doing this again without gate scrolls."

Shuffle looked like she wanted to say something else, but she stayed quiet as they came to the next door.

Through the door was an empty room. To one side was a passage through an open doorway. To the other side was a closed door.

Looking at the door situation, the group realized that clearly something had gone down in the doorway to the left. "So... do we want to find out what that is or just ignore it and hope it goes away?", Jerry asked.

Shuffle tilted her head. "Most of the time when there's two doors, one usually goes to a rest area. It's probably the one with a door still on it."

"That does seem to be the pattern so far," Joanne agreed. "Or it could be the lack of a door is because the creatures would never enter?"

"Well, that one's clearly been broken off it's hinges," Jerry replied, pointing at a broken shiny on the ground near the left doorway, "So how about we go that way," she started towards the door on the right. Joanne sighed but went in front of the scrawny rogue in case there was actually something dangerous on the other side of the door. Jerry smirked and looked at the others. "You guys coming?"

Joanne pushed the door open as the party prepared for something to jump out at them. Behind the door was a dim room. Spacious, with a glowing fountain of the healing water, just as the other rest locations, but also clearly being occupied, and not by the Crafter, although it wouldn't be surprising if he spontaneously manifested when they turned their backs. Within the room were a pair of women, once with scraps of armor on her body and around her on the floor, injured, the other not at all dressed like she ever fought anything in her life, moving back and forth between a bag on the fountain and the injured woman. They froze upon the door opening, the injured woman reaching for an axe leaning on the wall next to her and trying to stand up.

When the light of the light crystals brightened the room somewhat, it became more clear that the two were beastfolk, specifically of bovine origin, by the horns and ears that could be seen, and the flicking tail behind the unarmored one.

Joanne reached for her sword as the cow woman closest to her turned and ran to the other, hiding behind her as she stood and hefted her axe. Clearly one was a fighter, the other not.

Shuffle dropped to all fours as well before Emil spoke up. "Hold a moment. The corrupt creatures don't ever go near these rest spots." He looked to the bovine women. "Can you speak?"

The two looked at each other, confused, before the injured one lowered her axe. "What do you want?"

"We seek to rest," Joanne said through narrowed eyes, "Will you allow us to?"

Shuffle relaxed as they spoke. So far nothing had attacked them after speaking, so speaking meant peace.

The woman with the axe set it down and leaned on the handle for support, jerking her head towards the other woman's bag. "Do what you want," she snarled as the woman retrieved her bag and returned. "You do anything to bother us, you die."

"A bold statement," Joanne replied, "For a warrior that is hardly able to stand, especially in the presence of such an abundance of magical medicine." She gestured to the fountain.

"The waters do not heal us as they have others," the smaller woman said, "We do not-"

"Veo!", the armored one growled, the sudden hostility causing Joanne to draw her sword.

"Why do I gotta be the voice of reason?", Jerry grumbled, pulling out one of the health potions and going over to the two bovine women. "Here, it's more effective than the water, it should help. Do you two have names?" Veo reached around her companion for the potion, the one in front of her never taking her eyes off of the others. Veo looked relieved that they weren't hostile and checked the potion, sniffing it.

"Thank you," Veo said with a smile before sticking the potion in the other's mouth. "My name is Veo, the angry one is Emfa." Veo was the one with lighter skin and white horns, with red hair, and didn't wear armor, while Emfa had darker skin and horns, with white hair.

Adran looked the two over and smiled. "And what are two lovely ladies like yourself doing in these ruins?" The warlock wasted no time trying to get his flirt on with any woman that didn't look like she would kill him for trying, it seemed.

"We live here!", Emfa snapped, throwing the empty bottle into a corner and shuddering as the cuts, gashes, and bruises all over her body began to fuse back together and heal. A few wet snap noises told that there were broken bones in that mess as well. "Not that the maze morons want us to."

Shuffle tilted her head. "What's a maze moron?"

Emil and Erina found spots to settle down. They both kept an eye on the new women, though for different reasons.

"Inbred savages," Emfa grunted in response to Shuffle's question as she put her armor back on. Veo shook her head at her companion's answer.

"That's not... entirely correct," Veo said cautiously, "They're minotaurs like us, but they've become... twisted, mutated..." She looked like she couldn't find the words to explain it, but was trying to. "They don't like our people, anyway, the divide is old... before even our elders were born."

"You actually still believe that story?", Emfa shook her head and shoved Veo's bag into her chest. "We're leaving."

"No we're not!", Veo snapped back, gripping the other woman by the ear. "You're still healing, sit down!" She shoved Emfa back into a sitting position. "I'll never understand why you're always so eager to get hurt!"

Jerry looked at Joanne as she unrolled her bedroll. "That's what you and Adran look like half the time, always fighting about something." The paladin shook her head, but the elf nodded in agreement

Fia giggled as the two of them proved the point.

Emil spoke up to Emfa and Veo. "These ruins may be to blame. They're cursed and corrupt living things inside them. But the water that flows from that fountain is so pure that it counters the effect."

"We've known this for some time," Veo said in agreement, "But no one has ever attempted to leave and returned for the rest of us. Our people have lived in this part of the ruins for generations, but territory disptutes..." She went quiet and looked down, shaking her head. Whatever had happened, she didn't want to talk about it.

Emfa did, though. "They killed everyone while we slept. We only made it out because Veo has a small bladder." She got smacked upside the head for that statement.

"Ah, I see. My condolences. We've only encountered a handful of minotaurs so far. Does this mean there are more further in?"

"There are always more. We've never seen a female, but they keep coming, so they have to be somewhere." Emfa shook her head and swatted away Veo's fussing hands. "Get off me, I'm fine!" Veo didn't argue this time and sat down quietly.

“I see. Well, there is strength in numbers, if you would like some assistance.”

As they were talking, Shuffle grabbed her bow to look it over.

Emfa turned her nose at Emil's offer. "We're-"

"Please..." Veo hadn't looked up yet, and her voice was quiet, barely audible to even Emil's sensitive ears.

While Emil was conversing with the two minotaurs, Adran made his way to Shuffle and asked if she wanted to learn to shoot it.

Emil twitched an ear. “Come again?” He frequently picked up on whispers, and he’d learned that not all of them were meant to be heard, so he made of habit of confirming.

Shuffle looked over and nodded. “Yeah. I think I could do a lot more using this.”

Veo looked up at Emil, tears in her eyes. "Help us." She leaned into Emfa's shoulder, the other minotaur trying to keep her calm. Emfa sent Emil a look of 'I will tell you later'

"C'mon, there's space outside, I'll show you what I can," Adran said, smiling a bit, "You too, Jerry, you could do with some archery tricks, often as you miss." Jerry looked like she wanted to stab Adran, but at this point that was probably her default face when dealing with the elf.

Emil paused for a moment before he nodded. "Of course. I could not call myself a gentleman if I turned down someone in need."

Shuffle nodded and hopped up, heading out with them. She looked around as they stepped out, confirming that nothing was near. Though it would only be target practice if there was anything.

"Alright, Shuffle, show me your shooting form. Jerry, you too," Adran shoved his bow into Jerry's arms. "Don't worry that you don't have an arrow, just show me how you draw." Jerry grumbled something but made like she was drawing the bow to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back