• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"Just as planned!" Jerry whooped, "But I don't think venom is going to do anything to that one," drawing his sword, he ran up and put it through the hound's eye like he had with the first one.

The beast was trying to shake Shuffle off, so landing a hit would be a challenge. Shuffle dug her claws in as she kept biting it. Her repeated chomps we’re doing damage, but as expected, venom didn’t seem to do anything to it.

"Come here you little shit!" Jerry's sword wasn't something you swung and cut everything in its path until it ran out of momentum, it was a thrusting weapon. So when Jerry missed the head the first thrust, and the second, because of its thrashing, Jerry did the next best thing and kicked it in the throat, his boot swinging up towards the soft patch of fur between its jaw and torso.

The beast faltered, coughing from the kick, which resulted in a little more fog coming from its mouth.

The thrust found its mark. The hound seemed to have more unnatural vitality than the smaller variety, thrashing about with the sword in its head, but it started growing weaker as it went, gradually slowing down.

Keeping his hand on his sword to keep the jaws away, Jerry pulled his dagger and slipped it between some ribs where the heart would be on a normal wolf. Even if he missed, he had to have gone through something to get there.

The beast kept struggling, but its fate was sealed. It soon collapsed on the ground, quickly bleeding out from the number of wounds on it. Shuffle held on until she was certain it was dead before hopping off.

"Is this entire island like that?", Jerry asked, sheathing his weapons after wiping the blood off. "I don't think I'm gonna get paid if it is."

Shuffle tilted her head. "I...think so? It's strange. I know I've never that room with the table, yet I feel like I've fought these things before..." She looked over as the newly slain beast decayed. She stared at what was left and her eyes seemed to lose focus as she swallowed.

"Whoa, you doing okay there? I don't think that thing's blood is something you want," Jerry said, taking a step towards Shuffle to catch her if she fell.

Shuffle blinked and shook her head before looking at him again. "Ah, I'm fine. Just...hungry."

How long had it been since she last ate? Jerry couldn't possibly know, but it couldn't be more than a few days, considering her size. "Alright, let's find a safe area to sit down for a few hours. We need to talk, anyway." He looked around and remembered the balconies. One entrance that can easily be blocked or defended, with a view to see anyone coming. He pointed at the one above the stairwell he'd found Shuffle under. "How about that one?"

Shuffle looked over and nodded. "Yeah, alright." She turned and started heading over before something on the ground caught her eye. She stopped and picked it up, rubbing it to get some blood off of it. It looked like a black scale, knocked off of the larger reptile. It was rather shiny, which was what had caught her attention.

"A scale, looks like." Shuffle followed after him. "It's kinda shiny, so it's treasure, right?"

"Lemme see," Jerry examined the scale. Durable, yes, whatever that lizard thing was, it had thick scales, except for at the base of the tail, apparently. "It's probably got value to a collector, but not quite treasure. I'll show you when we find some, but it's good you're looking!" After a few moments of thumps from getting the rolling trunk up the steps and putting it in front of the doorway onto the balcony, after making sure Shuffle came through so he wouldn't crush her tail, he relit the lantern and pulled out a lump of cheese from his food supplies. "I'm not sure what you can eat, but most beastfolk can eat dairy," he said, offering her a piece.

"Alright, I've got questions, you've probably got questions, and we're probably gonna be stuck together for a while, so we might as well get to know each other." Jerry fished through his pack for his mapping stuff as he spoke. "I'll start. You were on that table when I found you. Do you know why?"

Shuffle sat down across from him, resting back on her haunches rather than siting the way humans do. She took the cheese she was offered, nibbling on it as she listened to him. She considered his question for a few moments before shaking her head. "No. The first thing I remember is being there. The goblin would come in often. He liked to poke me a lot."

"Hmm..." Jerry thought on that for a moment. That explained why she didn't like the goblin. "Have you seen anything else in there? There were a lot of bodies in there, and you..." He looked Shuffle up and down. "I have never seen a creature like you before." Is she not bothered by not having clothes?, he wondered. Shuffle's only coverings seemed to be her bandages. Actually, why did she have those to begin with? If she was someone's torture project, her modesty wouldn't have been something they were concerned with. "And uh..." He tried to figure out how to word the next bit. "Why are you wrapped in bandages?"

Shuffle tilted her head, munching thoughtfully on the cheese. "Hm... I saw some other people like you get dragged in. They were usually dead already. I think they were the lucky ones." She paused at his next question before looking down at herself. "I don't know. They don't bother me, but I can take them off if you want."

"Dead people... Humans like me?", Jerry asked, "And... don't. I think I had a second shirt in case my first got destroyed, hang on." Setting his paper and ink aside, he fished back around for his backup shirt. "Here, might be a little big for you, but you didn't want armor and you're basically naked. Middle ground and all that."

Shuffle put the rest of her cheese in her mouth before reaching forward to take the shirt. She looked it over for a bit before pulling it on over her head. It fit almost more like a short dress for her. She looked down at herself once she had it on. "I already feel a little warmer."

Jerry nodded when she put the shirt on. It fit a little loosely, she was a lot smaller than he was. "I think that's because you have fur as well. There's a room a few doorways back, lot of equipment left behind from people that have come through here before. The weapons are mostly worn and rusted, and the armor's not in the best condition, but we might be able to find something in your size, give you some protection, since you seem to like getting right up on critters."

"Alright. I'm not sure what would be best for me, but I can look." She looked at her empty hand before looking at Jerry again. "Is there more food?"

"Yeah, I brought enough food to be down here for a week or two," Jerry fished out some more cheese. "Usually I'd bring jerky, but I ran out of money preparing for this trip." Handing Shuffle a slightly larger chunk of cheese than before, he rolled out the bedroll. "I'm not sure how long you were upright, but I can't imagine you were able to get a decent rest like that. I'll take first watch," he offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back