• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

Emil blinked as he looked at her, smiling just a little. “Truly? Mm... Well then, I’ll keep doing my best to support everyone.”

Veo smiled back at the short bat, "You've done more to keep us alive than you think." If Emil hadn't been there to support Veo when she was having nightmares, or with the plant at all, they wouldn't have any of their healing potions, and half the party would be dead.

“I’m glad to hear that. I was starting to worried I was becoming extra weight.” He paused for a moment. “Thank you.”

"Of course," Veo gave Emil a kiss on the forehead, "Even if you did drag them a bit, you'd still be a valuable member of the party.

Emil blinked before he chuckled, blushing a bit. “Right. We’re team. We all need each other.”

“Ah, the forge is a bit much, but the earplugs help. I wish the grove wasn’t so dangerous. It would be a nice place to walk around otherwise.”

"We probably shouldn't have killed Urodor," Veo agreed. "It's odd how one man was keeping the entire grove safe, it doesn't seem like it would be possible." As quickly as the grove had recovered from Urodor's death, that was a huge vacuum he left behind. The moment his body stopped moving it was back to pandemonium out there.

"Maybe Niudisa can find a way to repel the monsters?", Veo offered,

“Maybe. We didn’t seem to have a choice about killing Urodor though. It was him or us. Hm... I wonder if there would be a way to spread the healing water enough to keep the corrupted beasts back.”

“I hope it doesn’t come to that. I mean, I know you’ve lived down here, and that’s fine. But I personally miss the sky and the sun.”

"What's the sun?" Once again, being born and raised underground beneath an island of endless night struck again at Emil's conversing with Veo.

Emil paused for a moment. “Ah, right.” He thought about that for a moment. “It’s a giant ball of fire in the sky. It provides light and warmth to the whole world above ground, but only during the day. Which is good, because it can be a bit much and should be taken in moderation. While it does provide life for so many things, staying under its heat for too long can be bad, and it’s so bright that looking directly at it can blind you.”

Emil shook his head with a smile. “No, no. It is huge but it’s also unimaginably far away. Too far for anyone to reach, even if we can fly. That’s why it only feels like a pleasant warmth, most of the time.”

Well now that really didn't make any sense to Veo. "How do you know it's actually there, though, if you can never get to it?" Down in the caverns, everything could be gotten to. The possibility of something being so far away that there was no way to reach it was ludicrous!

“Well, it’s pretty hard to ignore up there. We can’t just see it, we can feel it. Those without fur or feathers or tough scales can get burned by it, if they stay out too long.”

"But that could be anything," Veo protested, "A spell, or an illusion!" those were rampant in some areas down here, it made more sense than a gigantic ball of fire in the sky, whatever 'sky' was. Veo imagined it was the really high ceiling of a cavern.

Emil nodded. “I suppose it would be easier to show you. It can be difficult to describe something that’s just normal to me.”

“The people? Well, there’s all kinds. There are elves like Adran, humans like Joanne, even some dwarves. And of course the beast races like myself.”

"Do they have any stories?"

Adran, taking a break from his witchcraft, stood up and stretched and walked around the room, catching snippets of conversation. Nyah's illusion seemed to be a retelling of an old legend about a princess held in a tower by an ancient red dragon, and the knight trying to free her. Jerry was still helping Erina with her net-pack, and somehow Emfa had convinced Joanne to spar. Joanne, being a much more highly trained combatant, was definitely giving the minotaur struggle, despite Emfa having almost a foot on Joanne and wielding a two-handed battleaxe versus Joanne's sword and oversized shield.

"That's a pretty good idea, actually," Adran muttered as he passed by Emil and Veo's conversation and caught the snippet about repelling cursed creatures. He came over to Niudisa's area to see what she thought about that. "How do you think Urodor kept everything out of the grove?" The grove was massive, many miles of underground forest maintained by strange magic and the efforts of the dragon. As soon as Urodor's body stopped moving, however, the feeders were quick to return, and return they did, almost unnaturally quickly. It was a headache for the elf to all of the sudden feel an abundance of life in the dead grove, there had to be something going on.

“Oh, yes. Plenty of stories.” Emil smiled and lifted his lute, playing a few notes to get the tune before getting into a tale. He chose a comedic one to start. He didn’t know if it was a true story, but it was certainly a fun one.

Shuffle and Fia were very much entranced by the play, watching with their full attention and reacting as one would expect from a pair of children.

Niudisa was mostly reviewing her notes as Adran came up. She glanced over at him. “Hm... Good question. The first thought is that he set his territory and patrolled, killing anything he found and making the border clear. But thinking back, he found us a little too fast when we stepped past the border. He must have had some way of detecting anyone who entered his territory.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back