Experiences Cringe-y RP Mistakes You've Made

The point is, you should always have a break up plan and how your character will react afterwards if things don’t work out.
Yeah lol no need to tell me. There's a reason why I put it in the list of my cringey RP mistakes. If it was an issue I haven't worked out yet, it wouldn't be featured here

11yo me: *makes a character that is anti-social*

Me, three posts later: Can someone interact with my character

I one time made the mistake of basically having my character have “blackouts” constantly. There was literally several pages of nothing but blackout after blackout. To the point where my partner and I actually started to feel disgusted and ashamed of ourselves and we thankfully stopped.

Another moment that I deeply regret where I literally cussed out a GM for closing the thread. I regret that decision to this day.

Another cringeworthy moment is when I killed off another player’s character for what I deemed to be a stupid decision just for the thrill of it. The player was so furious, he immediately said bye and left. It took me literally several posts of heartfelt apologies and regrets before I convinced him to stay. It was one of my worst moments.

And I would railroad this one lady constantly to the point where she actually called me out on it.

And then, there was literally an angry outburst where the player who had be putting up with my shit silently up until that point just flat out called me an asshole and actually refused to play with me ever again. I, thankfully, managed to defuse that situation and we remain friends to this day. Also I thought he was a girl but that’s irrevelant.

Basically I was a toxic player that didn’t know he was being toxic.

One of the first insane characters I ever made was just that. An idiotic, angst-ridden teenager that ran around acting nonsensical and occasionally whining about himself and his Oh so tragic life. I didn't understand how interesting an insane character could actually be much less that it doesn't mean you have to be a raging lunatic. I understood a lot more about the mind after taking classes on the subject. Now I understand just how broad a topic it is and just how many flavors of insanity exist so to speak.

One of the first insane characters I ever made was just that. An idiotic, angst-ridden teenager that ran around acting nonsensical and occasionally whining about himself and his Oh so tragic life. I didn't understand how interesting an insane character could actually be much less that it doesn't mean you have to be a raging lunatic. I understood a lot more about the mind after taking classes on the subject. Now I understand just how broad a topic it is and just how many flavors of insanity exist so to speak.
One of my first characters was an amesniac who eventually was driven into insanity after she died.

One of my first characters was an amesniac who eventually was driven into insanity after she died.
Hopefully she was better than the one I made. I still cringe when I think about him and the funny thing is, I can't even remember what his name was. I literally remember the events of every post but not his name. I'm glad my brain did me that favor.

The raging lunatic is a common mistake roleplayers make when creating insane characters. I am not exactly an expert, but I have been writing insane characters for a while and they do require some more nuance than that.

so in a forum that had official groups with rankings based off of contributions and whatnot, i managed to;
- think that these were separate threads with unrelated plots/characters, rather than a series of connected plots that took place over a series of threads.
- claim a high position i shouldn't have
- post in groups that i wasn't even a part of
- not understand that this forum had a system, since i normally hung out on the section that didn't have this stuff apply to it.
- never get called out or have had stuff explained to me.
- possibly ruin someone's plots. i can't say i remember if people actually replied and ignored my character - but there's a part of me that worries i ruined some people's stuff.
- only realize a year later that these groups had a system.

one snippet i find funny now;
- i had a character that i basically claimed to be the head medic, something that obviously isn't a thing i should've done. the thread centered around an injured stranger showing up at the group the board was dedicated to, so i thought the medic thing was an appropriate choice. so she approached him, said hi and left, somehow not noticing that he was injured. he then proceeded to pass out because of his injuries.

needless to say, even though she wasn't a medic, she should never be one.

Oh man I just remembered an RP I joined when I was 12
I created an OC named Ayuthayara, and when the GM read my character form, they asked if she had a nickname, because typing out "Ayuthayara" all the time would get annoying for anyone trying to interact with her. I literally said something like "She hates nicknames and refuses to go by one!!!" and I made her a really cocky, pompous character who thought everyone was beneath her and she never wanted to talk to them.
Surprise surprise, nobody interacted with her. I got bored and just ghosted the RP after I made a few pointless posts.
To be fair, I was brand new to RPing (in fact, I think that was the very first day I started trying to forum role-play) sooo... I've learned better since then.

I once made a Girls Und Panzer roleplay... I continue to cringe to this day xD

I once forced my character onto another character in a roleplay because I genuinely saw chemistry between them. I realized how creepy it was that my character was basically non stop hitting on the other character. The other character ended up going along with it. It was a very awkward ship...

I once forced my character onto another character in a roleplay because I genuinely saw chemistry between them. I realized how creepy it was that my character was basically non stop hitting on the other character. The other character ended up going along with it. It was a very awkward ship...

oof..

When I first started roleplaying, I took control of other people's characters in my posts without asking for permission.

I still cringe every time I think about it.

My first characters had names that made absolutely zero goddamn sense. There are a couple who I have revamped and still play from time to time but their names are an embarrassment lmao

I once used a too popular face claim in a roleplay, like we were supposed to use models or obscure actors and I used Demi Lovato. Didn’t realize who she was until someone made a comment in character - Oh this student looks just like Demi Lovato. Had to google who that was.

Another time I made a character who spoke with a really bad French accent and was obsessed with bread and cheese. The only two French ish things I could think of.
This is the definition of me everyday. Especially the French guy.

Gunning down a friendly squad in Arma back in the day. Y'see, the problem with paramilitary work is that there is no set uniform. I quickly learned to look for identification that day, not camouflage.
Oh man.. Poor Guy! I called in an Airstrike on a civilian village and realized it was civilian too late.. I got court marshaled...

Wasn't my mistake per say, but I had my friends' 16 year old swordfighter hero attempt to romance a 50 year old woman because he failed to one of my CSes.

my very first rp.... I wrote for my character in first person -_- WHY. And the rp actually lasted for a decent time (for the standards of that site at the time), and I was just going along my merry way, completely oblivious!

I've also noticed that my love for characters who have been aggressively dehumanized and are now attempting to reestablish their agency (think Laura Kinney or Damian Wayne) isn't just obvious in what I consume, but also in what I create- I have nearly half a dozen of this type among my more developed oc's!

I've done a lot of research into trauma and its effects for personal and writing-related reasons, and have been able to make the characters distinct from each by how they are dealing with (or, failing at dealing with!) the struggle to assert their autonomy. So I'm happy with the results, but.... I've forbidden myself from making any more OverlyTragic™ characters for the time being! :closed eyes open smile:

I know its a tad bit late on this ,but it was a good go for the short time it was around

Oh hey there, long time no see! :3

I think the concept was a fun idea but.. for my part, the execution could've gone better. I was more interested in writing paragraphs on how a machine functions than focusing on developing the plot 😂

Oh hey there, long time no see! :3

I think the concept was a fun idea but.. for my part, the execution could've gone better. I was more interested in writing paragraphs on how a machine functions than focusing on developing the plot 😂
Eh, fair enough I can't fault you in the least if you weren't having fun. I just enjoyed it for what it was worth and I am glad you at least attempted it.

There was one time when my partners character got hurt and wrote a response where his character cauterized his wound. I must've misread and didn't see it and made my character sit him down to try and look at the wound 🤦‍♀️ it was as if she missed his whole scenario of agonizingly burning his own wound closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back