• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Come Winter's Light (Exalted/Modern) [Forum] [Dice]

FeMChara said:
Please be sure to post your sheets quickly, so we can get on with the game. :cool:
At this point, the hold up is the lack of response on when we'll need to be available for the irc session.

Not everyone has posted sheets.

Right now, Omicron has stated Wednesdays are best. How many are available on those days and what time in GMT?

Are there alternate days you would do if Wednesdays don't work? Remember: Time's pretty flexible. I work from home, so I can stay up into the wee hours of the night, lol.

I can't stay up late because of work, but Wednesdays are doable for me.

But in GMT time... I'm available between 8 PM and 6 AM the next day.

I'm unemployed at the moment, so I can hold that entire day. Paying rent has to come first, though, so my availability could become much more restricted, depending on the schedule of any job I find. Most likely, I'd wind up free W2200-R0500, GMT. Unless the screwy Daylight Savings thing is mucking with my math.

Catriona_zpse50ce6e0.png

Name: Trina Hayes

Concept: Silk Hiding Steel

Caste: No Moon, Twilight or Secrets; I can also see her as an Air or Fire Aspect

On the way home from her job, she suddenly burst into tears.

Nobody noticed. Crowded in the bus, people tired from work and dulled by the long rocking sat in indifferent silence.

On the long climb up the stairs to her apartment, she wept again. There was no reason to cry. There had to be a reason. She must be sick. The misery she felt was fear, a wretched panic of fear. She had been crazy to think she could stay here after graduation and build a life for herself. Mother was right: she was too fragile, could never handle it. She sat down at her computer to type a formal letter of resignation to her employers, and an e-mail to her mother admitting her mistake and asking for her forgiveness.

But the words, the words admitting defeat, just refused to come.

Her head ached. She got up to find something to eat. There was nothing in the kitchen cupboards, nothing at all. When had she last eaten? Not at lunchtime. Not in the morning before going to work. Not after getting home last night.

“What the hell is wrong with me?” she said to the ceiling. No wonder her head hurt. She had never in her life forgotten to eat. Even during that last summer...after Leah had left...and she couldn’t find a job in the city and her rent was due and she kept getting sick and having to go to the emergency room -- even then she had cooked food and eaten it, forcing it down her throat day after day.

She went back down the stairs, walked ten blocks to the nearest Star-Mart. All the foods were packaged, processed, pre-frozen, convenient. Nothing to cook. The sight of those wrapped rows made her tears break out again. Furious and humiliated, she bought a couple of hot dogs. The man serving was too busy to look at her face.

She stood outside the convenience store, turned away from the cars passing by, and crammed the food in her mouth, forcing herself to swallow, just like before. She would not go back, Trina knew. She was tougher than that. She would go on.

But right now, she was late for her fencing class...

Attributes: Strength 1, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2; Charisma 3, Manipulation 2, Appearance 3; Perception 3, Intelligence 4, Wits 3

Virtues: Compassion 2, Conviction 3, Temperance 2, Valor 2

Abilities: Athletics 1, Awareness 3, Bureaucracy 2, Craft (Air) 3, Dodge 1, Integrity 3, Investigation 1, Lore 4, Martial Arts 1, Melee 2, Occult 3, Performance 3, Presence 1, Resistance 1, Stealth 3, Thrown 1

Backgrounds: Contacts 2, Mentor 2, Resources 1

Willpower: 6

BPs: Charisma 3 (4), Wits 3 (4), Awareness 3 (2), Integrity 3 (2), Lore 4 (1), Martial Arts 1 (2), Melee 2 (2), Stealth 3 (1), Willpower 6 (2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. *grabs conversion chart.* I can do 11 PM to about 6 AM Tuesday, Wensday, or Thursday, Most the day Saturday or Sunday Central time so... that translates from about 1pm Saturday until 6am Monday Morning GMT

Name: Kipnam Cessej friends/family call him Kip

Street name: Nike(name comes from expensive shoes he likes to wear) or Dandy

Concept: drug dealer and addict

Exaltation: Infernal (Scourge or Fiend) /Solar (Night/Eclipse)

Player:
I live in GMT+2 (it's summer time so it will change to GMT+1 during winter/autum), wednesdays is unacceptable right now (I play tabletop games in that day) .. unless I manage to change my week schedule (it depends on other people .. I may ask) . Other days of the week are acceptable (well sunday/saturday will be tricky I can't guarantee to be available)

Kip was born as any other human, grow up started learning in the school. Nothing remarkable, though he was fulfilling family expectations as good student and kid. Trouble started in the middle of High School .. he discovered alcohol, partying then sex and along the way drugs. It was harmless at first, parents even welcomed it since kid developed normal social life and his grades were good .. for a time. At the end of high school despite his lies parents learnt about his drug use and try help him .. unsuccessfully(a lot of lies about not doing it anymore etc.). Still Kip finishes high school (mostly trough inertia and being in good graces with most of the teachers) he ends up in the local university (parents wanted to keep him on leash) studying Information technology.

It was disaster, during first year before Kip dropped out (and took tuition money) he barely attended , it was all about partying or seeking money. During that time Kip stole and sold father's car and part of mother's jewelery and tuition .. those were his worst offenses but there were many more smaller ones, he also become known to police mainly for disorderly behavior(he was high) or petty theft (fortunately no charges were pressed) . Finally his father had enough and confronted Kip either he goes to rehabilitation or have to get out of home (he was offering small stipend for half year). Kip refused and started to live on his own.

During that time Kip was introduced to drug trade despite danger (jail, violence) need of easy money keeps him in. Now Kip sells drugs in nightclub - it's good place with rich clients (or soon to be rich .. anyway it's place for kids/young adults form upper levels of society), he is there because he know personally most of his clients and they prefer do deal with him and so far nobody tried to take his turf, mainly because of gang 'Spirit junkies' who protect him (they also sell him drugs). Kip is terrified of this gang believing them to be ruthless killers, and his handler (man who gives him drugs and takes his share) is sadistic killer ..according to Kip in any case this man named Alt is very mean to Kip.

Jesse-Mugshot-760.jpg

They still love him but it's impossible help someone who don't want to be helped, all they could do is to avoid to get drawn into trouble

Father: Good corporate lawyer, not the best but good enough to afford lifestyle of rich middle class. Strict man, he is good natured, honest (but nothing extreme he is capable of hypocrisy), very legalistic (if he wants to do something he considers bad he uses law as excuse). It was him who pushed to abandon PC. Currently in his late 40s. He is married since his early 20s.

Mother: Animal doctor, leads small clinic (up to 5 doctors) serving rich clients. She earns more than her husband. Clinic only recently became really popular among rich clients witch now causes some friction in the family (father have difficulty to accept this) . She refuses to talk about Kip (she considers her son as greatest failure in life and doesn't want to face it in any way)

Older sister: Just finished law school, have job but seeks better one. Before Kip's addiction they had very good relationship. Now she tries to prove something and engages in helping addicts (in immaculate charities). Regularly tries to confront him (he avoids her and feels shame because of this). Lives along with parents. She is 2-3 years older than Kip.

Grandfather: just recently died of cancer. Former lawyer , really tough man(and demanding) he was son of factory worker, worked really hard to learn and earn money for education. Very rarely complained about anything and was really proud of Kip's Father.

Grandmother: Now in bad emotional shape, rich (thanks from her husband's money ). Never worked, always took care of home and children. Her favorite grandchildren is Kip's older sister.

Rest of the family: They know at least about some stunts Kip pulled out, and treat him as radioactive – given up and avoid as much as they can (they still try to be polite).

Intimacies:

- Family(mother, father, sister,grandmother,grandfather) especially Sister (love mixed with shame)

- drugs (fondness)

- Alt (fear)

- Police (dislike)

- expensive things (likes)

Motivation: show his family that he isn't looser

[3] Strength 2 Dexterity 2 Stamina 2

[6] Charisma 1 Manipulation 5 Appearance 5

[4] Perception 5 Intelligence 2 Wits 2

Archery

Firearms 1

Martial Arts 1

Melee

Thrown

War

Athletics 1

Awareness 3

Dodge

Larceny 1

Stealth 1

Integrity 2

Perfromance

Presence 2

Resistance 1

(Drug abuse +2
)

Survival

Bureaucracy 2

Linguistics

Ride

Sail

Socialize 3

Drive 1

Crafts

Investigation 1

Lore 1

(Hacking +2)

Medicine 1

Occult 3

Willpower 10 Compassion 5 Conviction 1 Temperance 2 Valor 1

Backgrounds:

Resources 2 -> it's from drug selling in the nightclub

Contacts(criminals related to drug trade) 2

1 Point is unspent

Bonus points (21)

[+5] Willpower 5->10

[16] 4xAtribute (2xApperance,2xPerception)

So, I'm throwing together a sheet even though there is no time everyone can reliably be online at once.

I'm assuming that Heroic Mortals follow the revised rules on Virtues and Willpower like Exalts.

Are they also getting the 4 free specialties that Exalts get?

Are you using revised rules for Craft to make it less of an XP-sink?

• Name: Sophia Isabella Alexandra Beufort III

[media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAf2S6ij2gk[/media]
    Motivation: Bring about a technological singularity.

Personality

Sophia tries hard not to be a rich, spoiled child prodigy, but she is, and there is only so much she can do about that. She doesn't look down at people for being poor or having trouble understanding things, she just doesn't get it either. This leads her to be generally pleasant company, but she sometimes says very inconsiderate things.

When she works, Sophia has a distinct tendency to become absorbed in it, almost to the point where she forgets about the outside world, until she either hits a roadblock or finishes a project. This leads to a brief period of remembering that there is an outside world too and that she should deal with it and its requirements before she either goes back to the roadblock or picks up a new project. She is very bad at just relaxing and doing nothing. She enjoys chess, reading and conversing, but small talk or doing nothing bore her and are likely to make her pull out her tablet start writing or reading.

She is not often given to bouts of irritation or anger, but her frustration at being treated too nicely or not given enough opposition is one of the few things that will push her over the edge. She feels betrayed if a friend agrees with her point of view without actually having been convinced that she is in the right.

Appearance

Sophia is undeniably beautiful, she has long, flowing golden hair and fair, unblemished skin. Her intelligent grey eyes are as suited for laughter as they are to deep thought and draw others to them as a magnet does a piece of simple iron. Her wardrobe includes everything gowns fit for a queen to shapeless t-shirts with inscriptions like "/Everybody stand back/ I know regular expressions". Most mornings, she spends only a few moments brushing her hair, washing her face and throwing on a light dress.

If Heroic Mortals get the Exalted modifications to Willpower/Virtues/Specialties, I'll need to redo my sheet...If it's not house ruled, then my sheet stands.

Also, Esb, I'm going to say something that I'm trying for with all due respect, on matching mechanics to what your story says:

First: "This leads her to be generally pleasant company, but she sometimes says very inconsiderate things." (Charisma 1, Manip 1, Performance 4, Socialize 1, Compassion 1: You can put on a good show, but you are -tolerable- company at best, likely prone to saying inconsiderate things frequently.)

Second: "She enjoys chess," (Wits 1, No ranks in War (which is what is -usually- used for the Exalted equivliant of chess). She utterly -sucks- at the game, TBH. Does she enjoy losing?)

Third: "When she works, Sophia has a distinct tendency to become absorbed in it, almost to the point where she forgets about the outside world, until she either hits a roadblock or finishes a project" (To Quote the core book: "Someone with Wits 1 is either dull or perpetually distracted." Since she doesn't seem to be mentally dull... this kinda only leaves one conclusion.)

My last thought is more for myself, and something to ask one of the STs about the style of game they are intending.

[QUOTE="Flowing Ink Words]Also, Esb, I'm going to say something that I'm trying for with all due respect, on matching mechanics to what your story says:
First: "This leads her to be generally pleasant company, but she sometimes says very inconsiderate things." (Charisma 1, Manip 1, Performance 4, Socialize 1, Compassion 1: You can put on a good show, but you are -tolerable- company at best, likely prone to saying inconsiderate things frequently.)

Second: "She enjoys chess," (Wits 1, No ranks in War (which is what is -usually- used for the Exalted equivliant of chess). She utterly -sucks- at the game, TBH. Does she enjoy losing?)

Third: "When she works, Sophia has a distinct tendency to become absorbed in it, almost to the point where she forgets about the outside world, until she either hits a roadblock or finishes a project" (To Quote the core book: "Someone with Wits 1 is either dull or perpetually distracted." Since she doesn't seem to be mentally dull... this kinda only leaves one conclusion.)

[/QUOTE]
You make decent points, a few counterpoints are in order.

0) This was a quickly thrown together sheet, not meant to be a final version.

1) The fluff text is unchanged from her past incarnation as a solar who had had War 1 (strategic games +3), and Charisma 3. So, I'd adjust it or her stats before actually committing to this game.

2) Non-speed chess is generally played with Intelligence rather than Wits, so she's not as terrible as you make her out to be.

3) I'm not actually sure I've read the Storyteller Attributes description since oWoD, so I've always interpreted Wits as ability to think on one's feet, which she is terrible at. Her dedication when working on a project is tied to her Temperence and Conviction.

4) I make min-maxed characters because White Wolf penalizes me for making balanced ones. I hate it, but there it is. Once I get XP, I tend to even them out. If the STs were interetested in doing XP-based chargen or BP-based experience, her sheet would look somewhat different.

I feel as though obsessively warding against those penalties shows a lack of respect for your fellow players and the storytellers. Everyone else is taking their lumps anon, though maybe you and I are accustomed to different styles of game entirely.

[QUOTE="Shining Lotus Sage]I feel as though obsessively warding against those penalties shows a lack of respect for your fellow players and the storytellers. Everyone else is taking their lumps anon, though maybe you and I are accustomed to different styles of game entirely.

[/QUOTE]
I think we are. I don't see how it can be a lack of respect towards my fellow players and GM. It certainly isn't meant that way, and if it's an issue, I can try working around it even if it pains me.

Well, I will try to explain.

You say that you are penalized by not min-maxing heavily, but compared to what? To whom? The other players? Why should we be competing against one another while collaborating to tell stories? Our characters may be rivals, but surely, from outside their perspectives, the rivalry itself is more fertile soil than any decisive resolution reduced to rolling dice. Are you penalized against the GMs? Do you expect they won't be able to tune challenges to the characters that will face those challenges? It seems disparaging. The least antagonistic explanation I can imagine is a drive to "win" the game, and not be made to suffer any avoidable setbacks. But this isn't a game that is won or lost! And surely, setbacks are important for character development! And the surprises of uncertain outcomes are why we use dice at all!

At best, such behavior creates an arms race, where the challenges that can be meaningful for the abstract-built character will crush those whose creators didn't focus so intensely on making a successful set of numbers, so one party or the other must suffer, or everyone has to optimize. But then everyone has 5 Dex. Everyone has 5 Appearance. Everyone has 10 Willpower. Everyone is ignoring the characters who are, thinking only of the juggernauts they may one day evolve into. And then why are we telling the e early stories at all? It's a narrow focus on an arbitrary measure of "success", I feel, and it robs the whole table of the richness of the setting. This is fine in games where the setting is dull, but the mechanics are balanced. The point of such games is winning and losing and keeping in mind always that they are games. But Exalted is nearly all setting, and the mechanics are atrocious. We all know that.

But I should not have phrased it the way I did. I am tired and spoke poorly. Disrespect is not the word I wanted, and I hope you won't feel accused.

I don't feel accused, and I think I understand our basic difference in this regard.

I like optimizing for its own sake. It's not about being the player who has the solution to every problem, it's not about being able to best anything the GM wants to throw at me (indeed, I know well they always have bigger fish on hand if that's what they want), I simply enjoy the game-within-the-game of making the character that is as good as possible at their chosen tasks. And it is in this regard that the system penalizes me for making a character with moderate stats rather than extreme ones.

Hi!

I'm Omicron and I will be your co-host in this grand adventure.

Off the top of my mind. Craft houserule. Craft is a single Ability; each dot in it lets you apply your rating to one of the five elemental crafts. Additional weird stuff like necrotech or glamour is unlocked by purchasing appropriate specialties.

I'm currently discussing with FemChara the possibility of houseruling flat rather than scaling xp costs to avoid optimization issues. Though even if not, a sheet with 5/9 Attributes at 1 would probably get denied, because come oooon.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Esbilon said:
So, I'm throwing together a sheet even though there is no time everyone can reliably be online at once.
I'm assuming that Heroic Mortals follow the revised rules on Virtues and Willpower like Exalts.

Are they also getting the 4 free specialties that Exalts get?

Are you using revised rules for Craft to make it less of an XP-sink?
Yes, heroic mortals follow the same revised rules but none of you are playing Heroic Mortals. You're all just ordinary mortals at this point. It was stated earlier this thread, in fact.

You'll get the free specialities when your character exalts.

See above for Omicron and his angle on Craft.

Additionally, Esbilon: while your sheet is technically within the rules, neither of us STs are okay with min-maxing in that manner. Please give a more well-rounded sheet that actually reflects how you describe your character, not how you want your character to fight and roll. A character needs to have justification for having so many attributes at just one and I'm not seeing it ICly.

Please fix that.

OK, Word of God is Word of God.

How do you feel about the Extra Favored Ability Merit? And if it has your approval, what happens to the spent points (2 bp) upon Exaltation when the Merit becomes absorbed in general Exalted traits?

EDIT: I moved a few of her Attribute, Abilities and BPs around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back