• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Come Winter's Light (Exalted/Modern) [Forum] [Dice]

The character stories as they stand are fine. I never said they were anything but fine. That can be fudged. And I would appreciate it if you would be less antagonistic.

The heroic/non-heroic is for the prelude/opening. Once the story hits, they'll be Exalted. We'll be telling an Exalted story with Exalted characters largely from humble backgrounds in one sense or another.

When the Exaltation occurs, you may bring them up to snuff with the standard starting out scores (with bonuses) to their relevant splat/caste. Though this isn't quite in the rules, this is how it's going to work here for the sanity of all involved.

Well, noticing a distinct lack of fighter types, I came up with my own special snowflake. If you have any questions, please ask and I'll add detail and clarify. :)

Name: Anne Cavanaugh

Concept: Wounded soldier

Exaltation: Whatever she earns (i.e. ST's pick...and yes, I'm opting in for the challenging surprise!)

Motivation: Heal

Anne Cavanaugh was a Private First Class in the 14th Cerulean Legion, 11th Dragon, 2nd Wing, 2nd Talon, 5th Scale, 1st Fang. Everything she'd been raised to be led up to that proud statement of fact. Anne was the oldest of five children, the rest of them all boys, and she grew up in a rowdy household as a result. Her father, Tom Cavaungh, was a career Master Sergeant and all Anne had ever wanted was to follow in her father's footsteps.

She grew up like other children. Anne attended school and managed good marks, more from hard work than actual academic ability. A natural athlete, Anne played competitive basketball and girls rugby until she graduated. She and her high school sweetheart, Christine Williams, signed up for the Meruvian Military the day after they graduated and put each other through basic training. Both received infantry assignments and, after basic training, both pursued advanced tactical courses while on assignment to support the Cerulean Legion operations in the Southeast.

Everything changed two months ago when her Scale pulled a suppression assignment. Ordered to assist a Southeastern militia in putting down an illegal drug operation, a miscommunication led to an airstrike dusting the entire area with classified chemical weapons. Out of her Scale of twenty five, Anne was one of three survivors. Waking up in a military hospital, the traumatized soldier discovered her girlfriend of six years had died...and that her own health was ruined, her immune system permanently compromised.

Now Anne's back home to recover. She's technically on medical leave pending a three-month followup in a month but she knows they're likely to discharge her. She's able to get out of bed now, even move faster than a snail, but she's out of breath, weak, and seems to catch something every week. At least she has her friends to lean on while she gets back on her feet and figures out what to do with her life...

640x1004_7445_Kaa_2d_sci_fi_portrait_female_girl_woman_cyborg_cyberpunk_picture_image_digital_art_zps83faecd3.jpg

Attributes:

Physical

Strength 3

Dexterity 5

Stamina 1

Social

Charisma 4

Manipulation 2

Appearance 3

Mental

Perception 4

Intelligence 2

Wits 3

Abilities:

Firearms 2

Martial Arts 2

Melee 1

Thrown

War 2

Integrity 1

Performance

Presence 1

Resistance 2

Survival 2

Craft

Investigation 1

Lore 1

Medicine 1

Occult

*Athletics 3 (+2 to Sports)

Awareness 1

Dodge 2

Larceny

Stealth 1

Bureaucracy

Drive 1

Linguistics

Ride

Socialize 1

Backgrounds:

Backing 1 (Meruvian Military, Private First Class)

Resources 1 (Paycheck/Pension)

3 unassigned

Willpower: 5

Virtues:

Compassion 2

Conviction 2

Temperance 2

Valor 3

Intimacies

Meruvia (Passionate, patriotic loyalty)

Her parents (Fond affectionate love and respect)

Fellow soldiers (Unyielding commitment and honor)

'Brawling' and unprovoked fighting (Disdain)

Boobs (So damn distracting!)

Being a soldier (Wistful fear and nostalgia)

Her deceased girlfriend Christine (In Mourning)

BPs:

4 on Charisma 3-4

4 on Appearance 2-3

8 on Perception 2-4

4 on Wits 2-3

1 on Athletics (+2 to Sports)

On one hand, I feel bad about making work for the ST.

On the other hand, I pretty much love all the splats and there's something really fascinating about the idea of having no idea what she'll be. If there's some disconnect between her splat and my sense of her as a character, I actually look forward to it. Because I imagine the 'average' Exalt probably feels some disconnect too that players don't think about because we plan for it.

Yeah, I did the same. I can't wait to see what our characters turn out to be!

Hmm, relieved that whole heroic/non-heroic thing was sorted out; it would have been tiresome to redraw all my stats from scratch. :)

Name: Kipnam Cessej friends/family call him Kip

Street name: Nike(name comes from expensive shoes he likes to wear) or Dandy

Concept: drug dealer and addict

Exaltation: Infernal (Scourge or Fiend) /Solar (Night/Eclipse)

Player:
I live in GMT+2 (it's summer time so it will change to GMT+1 during winter/autumn), wednesdays is unacceptable right now (I play tabletop games in that day) .. unless I manage to change my week schedule (it depends on other people .. I may ask) . Other days of the week are acceptable (well sunday/saturday will be tricky I can't guarantee to be available). I'm usualy avaliable online from 15.30 GMT till 22.00 GMT (it's midnight local time and my brain stops working around that time) in wintertime (winter/autumn) it's 16.30 GMT and 23.00 GMT.

Kip was born as any other human, grow up started learning in the school. Nothing remarkable, though he was fulfilling family expectations as good student and kid. Trouble started in the middle of High School .. he discovered alcohol, partying then sex and along the way drugs. It was harmless at first, parents even welcomed it since kid developed normal social life and his grades were good .. for a time. At the end of high school despite his lies parents learnt about his drug use and try help him .. unsuccessfully(a lot of lies about not doing it anymore etc.). Still Kip finishes high school (mostly trough inertia and being in good graces with most of the teachers) he ends up in the local university (parents wanted to keep him on leash) studying Information technology.

It was disaster, during first year before Kip dropped out (and took tuition money) he barely attended , it was all about partying or seeking money. During that time Kip stole and sold father's car and part of mother's jewelery and tuition .. those were his worst offenses but there were many more smaller ones, he also become known to police mainly for disorderly behavior(he was high) or petty theft (fortunately no charges were pressed) . Finally his father had enough and confronted Kip either he goes to rehabilitation or have to get out of home (he was offering small stipend for half year). Kip refused and started to live on his own.

During that time Kip was introduced to drug trade despite danger (jail, violence) need of easy money keeps him in. Now Kip sells drugs in nightclub - it's good place with rich clients (or soon to be rich .. anyway it's place for kids/young adults form upper levels of society), he is there because he know personally most of his clients and they prefer do deal with him and so far nobody tried to take his turf, mainly because of gang 'Spirit junkies' who protect him (they also sell him drugs). Kip is terrified of this gang believing them to be ruthless killers, and his handler (man who gives him drugs and takes his share) is sadistic killer ..according to Kip in any case this man named Alt is very mean to Kip.

Jesse-Mugshot-760.jpg

They still love him but it's impossible help someone who don't want to be helped, all they could do is to avoid to get drawn into trouble

Father: Good corporate lawyer, not the best but good enough to afford lifestyle of rich middle class. Strict man, he is good natured, honest (but nothing extreme he is capable of hypocrisy), very legalistic (if he wants to do something he considers bad he uses law as excuse). It was him who pushed to abandon PC. Currently in his late 40s. He is married since his early 20s.

Mother: Animal doctor, leads small clinic (up to 5 doctors) serving rich clients. She earns more than her husband. Clinic only recently became really popular among rich clients witch now causes some friction in the family (father have difficulty to accept this) . She refuses to talk about Kip (she considers her son as greatest failure in life and doesn't want to face it in any way)

Older sister: Just finished law school, have job but seeks better one. Before Kip's addiction they had very good relationship. Now she tries to prove something and engages in helping addicts (in immaculate charities). Regularly tries to confront him (he avoids her and feels shame because of this). Lives along with parents. She is 2-3 years older than Kip.

Grandfather: just recently died of cancer. Former lawyer , really tough man(and demanding) he was son of factory worker, worked really hard to learn and earn money for education. Very rarely complained about anything and was really proud of Kip's Father.

Grandmother: Now in bad emotional shape, rich (thanks from her husband's money ). Never worked, always took care of home and children. Her favorite grandchildren is Kip's older sister.

Rest of the family: They know at least about some stunts Kip pulled out, and treat him as radioactive – given up and avoid as much as they can (they still try to be polite).

Intimacies:

- Family(mother, father, sister,grandmother,grandfather) especially Sister (love mixed with shame)

- drugs (fondness)

- Alt (fear)

- Police (dislike)

- expensive things (likes)

Motivation: show his family that he isn't looser

[3] Strength 2 Dexterity 2 Stamina 2

[6] Charisma 1 Manipulation 5 Appearance 5

[4] Perception 5 Intelligence 2 Wits 2

Archery

Firearms 1

Martial Arts 1

Melee

Thrown

War

Athletics 1

Awareness 3

Dodge

Larceny 1

Stealth 1

Integrity 2

Perfromance

Presence 2

Resistance 1

(Drug abuse +2
)

Survival

Bureaucracy 2

Linguistics

Ride

Sail

Socialize 3

Drive 1

Crafts

Investigation 1

Lore 1

(Hacking +2)

Medicine 1

Occult 3

Willpower 10 Compassion 5 Conviction 1 Temperance 2 Valor 1

Backgrounds:

Resources 2 -> it's from drug selling in the nightclub

Contacts(criminals related to drug trade) 2

1 Point is unspent

Bonus points (21)

[+5] Willpower 5->10

[16] 4xAtribute (2xApperance,2xPerception)

Intimacies:

- Family(mother, father, sister,grandmother,grandfather) especially Sister (love mixed with shame)

- drugs (fondness)

- Alt (fear)

- Police (dislike)

- expensive things (likes)

Motivation: show his family that he isn't looser

[3] Strength 2 Dexterity 2 Stamina 2

[4] Charisma 1 Manipulation 5 Appearance 3

[3] Perception 3 Intelligence 2 Wits 2

Archery

Firearms

Martial Arts 1

Melee

Thrown

War

Athletics 1

Awareness 2

Dodge

Larceny

Stealth 1

Integrity 1

Perfromance

Presence 2

Resistance 1

(Drug abuse +2
)

Survival

Bureaucracy 1

Linguistics

Ride

Sail

Socialize 3

Drive 1

Crafts

Investigation 1

Lore 1

(Hacking +2)

Medicine 1

Occult 2

Willpower 10 Compassion 5 Conviction 1 Temperance 2 Valor 1

Backgrounds:

Resources 2 -> it's from drug selling in the nightclub

Contacts(criminals related to drug trade) 2

1 Point is unspent

Bonus points (18)

[+5] Willpower 5->10

[12] 3xAtribute (1xApperance,1xPerception,1xManipulation)

[1] Unspent

I'm not sure if PC is build correctly I assumed we do get 5 virtues,

start with 5 Willpower and willpower cost is 1BP per point . As errata says for exalted but I see no point in not applying it to mortals.

I have also 1 point of BP unspent (I have no idea where to spend it) , to be spend after exaltation . But If I have to use it now i want lying specialty to Socialize.

FeMChara said:
The character stories as they stand are fine. I never said they were anything but fine. That can be fudged. And I would appreciate it if you would be less antagonistic.
The heroic/non-heroic is for the prelude/opening. Once the story hits, they'll be Exalted. We'll be telling an Exalted story with Exalted characters largely from humble backgrounds in one sense or another.

When the Exaltation occurs, you may bring them up to snuff with the standard starting out scores (with bonuses) to their relevant splat/caste. Though this isn't quite in the rules, this is how it's going to work here for the sanity of all involved.
I'm sorry if I come across as antagonistic, that was never my intention and I apologize for it. I was just trying to understand what you were saying, I clearly failed, but that appears to not be a huge problem? Maybe?

My main worry on the nonheroic/humble beginnings issue is that my character is that my character is about as far from either of those as I can pretty much imagine a person being. She's a rich child prodigy who wants, and may well be able, to change the world. If a character like that qualifies as "nonheroic," I don't know what the word means, and it's clearly central to your vision of this game.

@Esbilon

>She's a rich child prodigy who wants, and may well be able, to change the world.

Difference between such person and someone with delusion of grandeur is whenever such person succeed or not and to be lucky enough to be in position to do so. their conviction just gives them extra motivation to try than those without it.

Think about it : such PC in eyes of ordinary human is a bit loony unless he succeeds and IMO such PC is bit insane regardless of it's success .. just not enough to lock in big house.

Esbilon said:
My main worry on the nonheroic/humble beginnings issue is that my character is that my character is about as far from either of those as I can pretty much imagine a person being. She's a rich child prodigy who wants, and may well be able, to change the world. If a character like that qualifies as "nonheroic," I don't know what the word means, and it's clearly central to your vision of this game.
I'm conscious I just hopped on this thread yesterday so I'm the new kid. But, lacking the ability to read the ST(s) mind, I'll offer a suggestion.

Peek back through the thread and skim/read the submitted character histories. Note where people say they're from, note their general background, and think about points of intersection. Per the ST:

FeMChara said:
Inspired by several sources, CWL is a hybrid, modern-based Exalted game focused on young, inexperienced newly exalted young adults. A circle that starts out partly friends, perhaps as distant as classmates or distant relations. What comes of it is up to them-if they can survive what the world has in store for them.
Underlined for emphasis. I don't know who the ST will take but when I wrote up Anne, I aimed for a backstory that would give her a reason to be where everyone else is and a (presumably) in common school background. Kip's a street guy, a drug dealer, Trina looks like a student, Mizu's a mysteriously trained student while Morena is a MMA fighter. All of those are pretty easy for me to fit in with. If you want to run in different social circles (and it looks like Singhit Ram probably does too), consider family ties or other excuses to be in our neck of the woods. My impression is that the ST wants us to know each other before the start of play. Think about how that might happen for you. :)

Formerly sheltered student now living in a scary dirty apartment in the Big City trying to hold down a job and finding the world is a lot tougher than she was brought up to expect. Kip and the others might be part of her adjustment to that world. :)

Sophia is a current student at the Heptagram, not sure how to fit her in with everyone else, academia has a bit of an ivory tower quality to it.

Regarding how our PCs have met. Perhaps nightclub where Kip 'works' is good place, maybe we are regulars and at leas know each other passingly .. just a thougtht

A night club is not a bad meeting ground. Sophia would have gone with friends, but been disinclined to party quite as hard as they, so any non-drunken people there might well have drawn her attention.

Night club is fine by... Wait, I think Morena's just a tad bit too young for that.

Mei said:
Night club is fine by... Wait, I think Morena's just a tad bit too young for that.
Her wards are even younger and surely have a nasty habit of sneaking in where they're not allowed. They'd need someone to pick them up, and watch their backs if some of the grown ups want to beat them up.

Totally down with a common nightclub!

Edit: If Morena's too young for a nightclub, how about another connection? Anne's deceased girlfriend Christine could have come out of The Home, for example...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nightclub is a good idea because it's something that can potentially tie all of us together, dead girlfriends are not so much like that.

That said, Sophia has ordinary people on her father's side of teh family, so some of them could potentially also have passed through places like The Home.

Oh, I agree the most elegant solution is one where all of us know all of the others through the same venue. But if Morena's not legal, and that's a barrier, then the nightclub won't work as a wholly common venue, that's all.

Epiphany said:
Oh, I agree the most elegant solution is one where all of us know all of the others through the same venue. But if Morena's not legal, and that's a barrier, then the nightclub won't work as a wholly common venue, that's all.
Well... A night club with heavy drug sales may not look that closely at people's ages. Also, legal ages are different in different countries, there's no guarantee that Morena's a minor in that context in Meruvia.

Mei said:
Well, given what Meruvia is based off of... Better to be safe than sorry.
This is Exalted! The world that runs on Drama! What is this 'safe' you're talking about?

As I have it so far, Singhit retains vestigial ties to academia, meddles in just about every ghost story in the southeastern Threshold, and probably participates at the fringes in a handful of anti-war and anti-proliferation NGOs. It looks as though the group is coalescing in Meruvia, though, so I could easily say that the geomantic training he got required leaving Varangia, which would more-or-less rebase him within half a Mm of wherever that was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back