• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
=> ?????????
  • => Kids: Enter.

You enter through the door mid-conversation, when you are stunned to silence by the sight of the other side.

The largest room you have EVER SEEN lies before you, and more importantly, is COVERED ENTIRELY IN PAPER, every wall, every square inch of floor. Each written in a mish-mash of GRAY and YELLOW text, bearing information about the game and sessions that would take you DAYS to read. A grand FOUR SCREENED TERMINAL lies on one end of the room, it seems to be a larger version of the ECTOBIOLOGY APPARATUS that Leto has been using to breed frogs. EIGHT TUBES contain a thick, green fluid waiting to be materialized. The SCREENS are DARK and OBSCURED BY NOTES. A nest-like mass of PAPER has been formed in the corner to act as a bed for a GHOSTLY ORANGE SNAKE-BAT, something you recall as SETH'S SPRITE.

The most eye-catching thing, however, is the HUMANOID MASS crouched on the floor in the center of the room hastily writing notes in their GRAY MARKER. They are wearing the GREEN SUIT belonging to your guide THE CHERUB, but they aren't wearing the overcoat. Their hood is up and their back is facing you, so you can't see much.

They haven't seemed to notice you come in.

=> !!!!!!!!!
  • => Kids: !

As Leto touches a page to read, Jean is faced with a less-than-pleasant sight.

A HUMAN BEING, no older than the two of you turns to face you and speaks:

THE CHERUB(?): Don't touch that please
    THE CHERUB(?): That has to be where it is exactly

They seem calm and composed, unbefitting of their UNKEMPT APPEARANCE. They have several LIGHT SCARS from injuries sustained in combat, healed only through TIME, and the faintest hint of PUBERTY-INDUCED STUBBLE could be seen on their chin. It's a little hard to see with the hood and aging, since you've only seen picture of his eleven year old self, but you are fairly confident that this is a slightly older -perhaps FIFTEEN- version of a familiar person.

THE CHERUB(?): Or else we could all be doomed

This is SETH.

=> Help them.
  • => The Cherub(?): Survey situation.

You have just been JOSTLED AROUND by THE BARBARIAN. He seems to be angry at you for some reason, you haven't the faintest idea why, though. You're here to help them. THE PRINCESS on the other hand seems upset in a more SOMBER WAY. You wish these two could just understand that you're trying to help.

You're here to help them.

=> The Cherub(?): Help them.

THE CHERUB(?): I'd prefer if you didn't do that

THE CHERUB(?): I don't like being shook
    THE CHERUB(?): I'm here to help you two

=> Seth?
  • => The Cherub(?): Fall.

You land on the ground. It seems that THE BARBARIAN is talking to you about some stuff that you are PRETTY SURE YOU DIDN'T DO. Notes? No, these are THE WIZARD'S NOTES. You simply put them all in one place. How else would they be here? WIZARDS make notes, CHERUBS just help people.

THE PRINCESS is crying now. You wish she wouldn't, though you don't exactly know WHY.

You are A CHERUB, a figure to aid and help others. When you saw THE BARBARIAN after he learned of THE WIZARD'S FATE, you wanted to help him too.

Maybe you should say something?

=> The Cherub(?): Say something to help her.

THE CHERUB(?): You must be confused
    THE CHERUB(?): I'm not Seth
    THE CHERUB(?): I'm The Cherub

THE CHERUB(?): I help people

You tell the BARBARIAN that he's wrong. That's what you were gonna say, yeah.

=> Rattmann
  • => The Cherub(?): Answer questions, be the excellent host.

THE CHERUB(?): Right, the game

THE CHERUB(?): Truth is, it can't be fixed
    THE CHERUB(?): Not this one, anyway
    THE CHERUB(?): But I know one that can be, one that needs to be

THE CHERUB(?): It also happens to be responsible for everything bad that's happened to the session

You think about their other question... It's hard to remember. One day you weren't, and then slowly you became something. You can't explain it, so you don't think you will. It hurts your head enough as is.

You turn to the WALL OF NOTES. More specifically, the section you have reserved for the THIRD SESSION. A wall covered in RED AND GREEN SPIRALS that dance around each other and the information hidden within.

THE CHERUB(?): The third session

THE CHERUB(?): A pair of players who have been altering the source code of reality
    THE CHERUB(?): They've been manipulating you from the very beginning
    THE CHERUB(?): Seth and Jill, too

THE CHERUB(?): Even the other four

=> Ohana
  • => The Cherub(?): Plan.

THE CHERUB(?): Unity

THE CHERUB(?): The two of you stand no chance against the third session
    THE CHERUB(?): The first and second sessions must be unified to break free from the thumb of the third
    THE CHERUB(?): You have to help the second session escape their doom

THE CHERUB(?): Give them the tools to help themselves

You take one of the many SECOND SESSION PAGES off the wall and hand it to your guests.

It shows CONNECTIONS between the FIRST and SECOND SESSION players.

[EB] + [JS] = [JL] & [JJ]
    [SS] + [SJ] = [LJ] & [LL]

THE CHERUB(?): Both sessions are linked

THE CHERUB(?): Two sides of the same coin
    THE CHERUB(?): Two sides of The Scratch
    THE CHERUB(?): Parents and children
    THE CHERUB(?): But they don't know, the third session doesn't want them to
    THE CHERUB(?): It's why they haven't asked for your last names
    THE CHERUB(?): Why they don't tell you who they are

You gesture back to the ECTOBIOLOGY TUBES

THE CHERUB(?): They don't know that they're your parents

=> Unbreaking
  • => The Cherub(?): =>

THE CHERUB(?): You're going to have to tell them

THE CHERUB(?): At the moment they're your enemies even if they don't know it
    THE CHERUB(?): You have to convince them their being manipulated
    THE CHERUB(?): I would have already, but they can't know I exist
    THE CHERUB(?): Because if they know, then the third session does too
    THE CHERUB(?): As for The Scratch, it's simple
    THE CHERUB(?): You have to steal a battleship and fly out before you get recycled
    THE CHERUB(?): There's someone on Derse who can get you one, but there are things that must be done before departure

THE CHERUB(?): Confronting the Denizens, ascension, and unbreaking the first session

=> Jill, Seth, Leto, Jean
  • => The Cherub(?): Explain.

THE CHERUB(?): 'Give them the tools they need to help themselves'

THE CHERUB(?): The 'tools' are metaphorical
    THE CHERUB(?): The second session just needs a push in the right direction
    THE CHERUB(?): They've lost hope that they could escape their situation
    THE CHERUB(?): You have to tell them they can
    THE CHERUB(?): That they can leave and find you

You walk to the wall reserved for the FIRST SESSION, grabbing a page from the NEW section and one from the OLD section.

THE CHERUB(?): The Denizens are needed, yes
    THE CHERUB(?): Leto must find Echidna to get the Quills, but also to progress as a player
    THE CHERUB(?): Jean must face a more... dangerous adversary, Yaldabaoth
    THE CHERUB(?): They're the one who has hidden away Jill's session data
    THE CHERUB(?): If you can convince Yaldaboath to release it, Jill's land will be open to you
    THE CHERUB(?): And then you can begin the process of ascension

You show them the OLD PAGE, reading the information on them that you have memorized. It bears a drawing of JILL and SETH, one in their normal clothes, and one in a more... mystical attire.

THE CHERUB(?): The Maid of Hope and the Seer of Time
    THE CHERUB(?): Should they have 'Ascended' they would have been imbued with the full power of those titles
    THE CHERUB(?): Ascension is beyond echeladders and power leveling, it's much more important
    THE CHERUB(?): Ascension is the process by which the full breadth of your domains becomes yours
    THE CHERUB(?): Mastery of everything and nothing
    THE CHERUB(?): Over protection and destruction
    THE CHERUB(?): These are your titles

You show the NEW PAGE, similar to the OLD one, but with LETO and JEAN instead.

THE CHERUB(?): The Knight of Space and the Prince of Void

=> LL
  • => The Cherub(?): =>

THE CHERUB(?): Not here

THE CHERUB(?): Here won't even exist anymore by the time they get there after The Scratch
    THE CHERUB(?): They'll have to meet you at the Third Session
    THE CHERUB(?): As for your titles, I don't know much beyond the basics
    THE CHERUB(?): Part of your journey is to figure out what they mean to you
    THE CHERUB(?): No two Heirs of Breath are the same
    THE CHERUB(?): Ascension is a difficult process that could take a while

THE CHERUB(?): It's best to leave it for later when it's time

You pull out your watch and take a look. Oh my, you're running out of time, you have to wrap this up!

THE CHERUB(?): It's time for you two to head onward
    THE CHERUB(?): The first step is to find your Denizens

THE CHERUB(?): Head higher than ever, beyond the seventh and final gate

You hand them each a slip of paper with the handle of a PESTERCHUM ACCOUNT you commandeered.

-- Leto and Jean can now pester libelousLaevinus [LL]! --

THE CHERUB(?): Contact this account when you are ready to move on to the next step

THE CHERUB(?): I must be going now

You activate your ROCKET SHOES and fly off into on of the many VENTS above you as you head off beyond where the narrative can follow.

=> The Cherub(?): Be Leto and Jean.

You are now Leto and Jean again.

=> Be SS
  • => Jean: Enter the Seventh Gate.

You pass beyond the final pathway, ascending through the light construct to realms unknown.

You arrive at the base of a mountain, larger than any you've seen on LOSAS, it's peak disappearing far, far above the clouds. A small signpost lies in front of you.

HEY!

THIS WAY TO THE DENIZEN'S PALACE!

BE CAREFUL, HE'S A HUGE DICK!

Seems the Iguanas of years long past don't like this Yaldaboath guy.

-

=> Be Leto

SS doesn't respond just yet, seems she might still be ASLEEP? It's been 15 HOURS since she went to bed yesterday, no person can really sleep that long, can they?

You should do something REALLY IMPORTANT while you wait, something like...

=> Leto: Name the sir knight.

No knight can go without a proper name.

You must rectify this situation at once.

-

=> Leto: Be the other girl.

You are now THE OTHER GIRL.

A message written in VIOLENT ORANGE has woken you from your SLUMBER, seems that goofball has decided to take it upon himself to get you back in the waking world. Fine, you'll get up. You don't bother changing out of your PJ'S though, as the LAND OF FIREPLACES AND WROUGHT is pretty damn cozy, so it just feels right to rock the softer rags.

Seems LETO has sent you a couple messages on the specifics of POTTED ROAST. You decide to send her a response in the ROSY RED TEXT through which you are most comfortable.

SS: 1 no.

SS: if you put liquid in it becomes stew.
    SS: 2 ham i think.
    SS: i wouldnt recommend it though.
    SS: it wasnt great.
    SS: 3 meh.
    SS: its just a bunch of bullshit the game throws at you to seem deep

SS: i doubt it means much of anything

==> [C] Enter name.

You take a quick break to let any audience members take a guess at YOUR NAME.

=> Enter, Lily Medioen!
  • => Be Jean.

You begin the long ascension of the mountain.

This could take a while.

JS: what stuff?

Quick and to the point, you guess.

-

=> Be Leto.

SIR LANCELOT has joined your party.

-

=> Be SS.

Those names are barely even appropriate for a dog, dumbass. You have a REAL, HUMAN NAME. Your name is LILY MEDIOEN, and you are pretty sure you are the COOLEST PERSON in PARADOX SPACE still kicking.

You take a moment to respond to Leto.

SS: me?

SS: rogue of something or other
    SS: i never paid it much mind so i dont really remember

SS: i didnt care about the lore or whatever

You head through the SEVENTH GATE to your DENIZEN'S PALACE. You've already beaten NYX ages ago, but beyond her BATTLEFIELD lies what you're here for: The SESSION TERMINAL that lets you gaze into the OTHER SESSION so you can help those two dorks.

You've made this place a pretty chill space. It's a good thing considering you spend MOST OF YOUR TIME down here. You take a quick peek at JEAN; That kid is going to be climbing that mountain for forever. You switch back to Leto; Is she taking pictures with a frog? Weird.

=> Be JS
  • => Jean: Be the other guy

You are now THE OTHER GUY.

You are currently sitting in a FINE WOODEN CHAIR. Alchemy is handy and all, but nothing beats SOMETHING YOU MADE with your BARE HANDS. Less important than the CHAIR is where is is LOCATED. Deep below the LAND OF CRYSTALS AND LEAD lies the palace of the denizen TYPHEUS, where a SESSION TERMINAL lets you watch as a blue boy attempts the task of MOUNTAIN CLIMBING.

Said blue boy has begun messaging you and asking about your FEMALE RELATIVES, which is in all honesty a VERY STRANGE THING to ask a stranger. But you have nothing better to do, so you indulge in your MILITARY FOREST TEXT.

JS: i was raised by my mother.

JS: she was my guardian.
    JS: irresponsible.

JS: anything else?

You like to think you are a very STRAIGHTFORWARD person, so you don't WASTE ANY TIME when it comes to conversation.

==> [C] Enter name.

Lily had so much fun doing this, so you'll give it a whirl too.

==> JS: Be Lily.

SS: what about em?

Last edited:
    => Enter, Joel Anglint!
  • => Be JS.

Rude. Instead of an INSULT, your name is actually JOEL ANGLINT, and you are pretty sure you are the SINGLE GREATEST CRAFTSMAN left alive. And that has nothing to do with the fact that you are the ONLY CRAFTSMAN left alive.

JS: please, jean.
    JS: we're both strapping young lads who can be straight forward with each other.

JS: what do you have to say to me?

-

=> Be Lily.

SS: dude,

SS: i cant remember what my own title was.
    SS: what makes you think i could possibly remember those dorks?
    SS: listen,
    SS: i dont think you should put much thought into it.
    SS: it doesnt really matter in the long run

SS: it didnt help us.

=> Frog Mountain
  • => Jean: Ascend.

You reach the FIRST LAYER of your planet's ATMOSPHERE. Passing beyond the first layer of clouds you reach a much COLDER ENVIRONMENT, where a faint SNOWFALL is present. Not enough to not melt or anything, but still cold. The mountain reaches ever onward.

JS: sorry, but no.

JS: you're wrong.
    JS: i hate to inform you that you have been misguided.

JS: you seemed like a reasonable fellow too.

-

=> Leto: Ascend.

You enter the SEVENTH GATE.

You land atop a MIGHTY TOWER by a RETURN NODE. There is no way out of this room except maybe a fast fall. Looking down you see a MASSIVE STRUCTURE just beneath the sea. Too bad you can't breath underwater.

SS: nah, its chill.

SS: just because im too busy being a badass to remember the fine details doesnt mean you have to be all depressing
    SS: and hugging frogs like theyre your only friends

SS: which is weird, btw?

=> Stop being sad
  • => Be Jean.

You keep climbing up.

JS: when you say 'skull monsters' i take it you are referring to the 'third session.'

JS: they're not the villains.
    JS: you are.

JS: they're trying to repair what was broken and your session is the one trying to stop them.

-

=> Be Leto.

ALCHEMY sure is handy.

SS: ...

SS: look,
    SS: being sad all the time aint gonna get you nowhere
    SS: i thought you were the happy one anyway.
    SS: so what if you play with frogs?

SS: you do you.

=> Faux pas
  • => Be Jean.

JS: that was all a big...

JS: ... misunderstanding...?
    JS: ...a faux pas on my part.

That's definitely not how you use that.

JS: and i'm sorry, but am i the one taking their advice from a crazy veil-person?
    JS: our friend mr. ulfbarn jr. has been in those vents for so long he's forgotten who he was.
    JS: so excuse me if i don't find his logic very sound.

JS: especially when it comes to telling you to beat up our only hope of survival.

You reach the edge of the FIRST ATMOSPHERE. You haven't actually been higher than this, but from what LETO tells you, the SECOND ATMOSPHERE is incredibly WINDY, and you might want to weigh yourself down before you head up.

-

=> Be Leto.

You dive into the depths.

Once you're below the sea, you can tell that it's NOT VERY DEEP. You can see the SEA FLOOR from here.

The large structure is a TEMPLE-LIKE MANSION, formed entirely from white and blue SALTS. A large ARCHWAY many times bigger than you lies at the front, acting as an open entrance.

=> Be SJ
  • => Be Jean.

You climb.

JS: i have it on good information that they are not our enemies.

JS: does a magic book of prophesied events suffice?
    JS: and if you really want to know, my name is joel anglint.

JS: and i'm the only one who can help you see the error of your ways!

-

=> Be Leto.

You swim through the archway into a small empty chamber with a hole in the top. You breach through the surface of the water, now fully INSIDE the building. You take off your mask. This place is enormous, but your not alone. Echoes of distant bestial sounds come from deeper in the PALACE.

-

=> Leto: Be the other other guy.

You are now THE OTHER OTHER GUY.

You are so PUMPED FOR TODAY. Just a little while ago you were woken up by your FEARLESS LEADER and you decided to pass the message along to your friend LILY. Additionally, your other friend JOEL mentioned that he was talkng to that blue kid JEAN. You're glad everyone is finally becoming friends.

In your MOST ORANGEY MESSAGE YET, you send your third friend EB a message about SJ: How smoothly everything is going! She responds with a simple EB: It isnt. and tells you to tell Joel to STOP BEING SO WEIRD. She's got a point, so you head over to TYPHEUS'S PALACE to talk some sense into him.

==> [C] Enter name.

While you're on your way, you decide to let your name be guessed.

Seemed fun when Lily and Joel did it.

=> Enter, Stan Ulfbarn!
  • => Be Jean.

JS: yes i know i'm your dad, i've known since the beginning.

JS: book of prophecies, remember?
    JS: i just couldn't tell you until you figured it out for yourself.

JS: same reason i haven't told the others.

The cloud barrier for the THIRD ATMOSPHERE is just up ahead. You actually don't know what's up there, neither you nor Leto never made it that high. Light beams still pour from above, poking holes in the clouds.

-

=> Be Leto.

You continue.

You enter a smaller room where a ENORMOUS BRASS BELL hangs from the ceiling, but it's so large that it is only an inch off the ground. A rope hangs nearby, but even after putting all your weight on it, it still refuses to budge.

A pathway stands blocked by a METAL DOOR on the other side of the room.

SS: she was...

SS: lets call it *eccentric.*
    SS: i mean she was old, but i dont think it was dementia that made her weird.

-

=> Be SJ.

Why thank you. But nah, that's not your name! Your name is STAN ULFBARN, and you are -and you don't mean to brag- one of the GREATEST GUITAR PLAYERS around, but that's only because you are the ONLY GUITAR PLAYER around.

You arrive at the PALACE OF THE DENIZEN, where JOEL sits at the SESSION TERMINAL watching JEAN climb a mountain, they both seem pretty peeved. Time to just sneak up and...

=> Be Joel.

JS: as for your denizen, you're going to die.

JS: yaldabaoth is one of, if not the most powerful denizens in the game.
    JS: you don't st

You are cut off by being KNOCKED UNCONSCIOUS by being hit with a GUITAR in the back of your head. Stupid Stan and his stupid KO'ing musical instruments.

JS: Heh, sorry about that!

JS: Gimme a minute...

-- jimdandyScyphozoan [JS] has logged off! --

-- skyboundJehoshaphat [SJ] has logged on! --

SJ: There, that's better.

SJ: I'll be taking over for joel for a while.
    SJ: what were you guys talking about?

=> For whom does the bell toll?
  • => Be Jean.

You pass beyond the clouds and enter the THIRD ATMOSPHERE of LOSAS. It's not cold here, there is a warmth that fills your whole being. The air is only a light breeze as a the LUMINOUS BEAMS OF LIGHT are omnipresent, many being dispersed as they hit the clouds below.

The MOUNTAIN'S SUMMIT lies just ahead, a massive RED PALACE lies before you, bearing the symbol of THE SUN.

SJ: Oh, sorry.

SJ: Eb sent me over to 'switch out' with him.
    SJ: Your denizen?
    SJ: I'd suggest hitting as hard as you can as the first blow.

SJ: That's how i took down hemera.

-

=> Be Leto.

You push the bell with all your might.

Turns out your might isn't very much, as it DOESN'T BUDGE.

SS: ...

SS: we're related.
    SS: really.

=> Knell.
  • => Jean: Enter.

You enter the DENIZEN'S PALACE, home of the beast YALDABAOTH.

A SEALED DOOR stands on the other side of the room, while a MASSIVE GRAMOPHONE lies in the center. It has a place for a RECORD of some kind. A CARDBOARD BOX of RECORD SLEEVES lie below, but they're all EMPTY.

SJ: I know what you mean.

SJ: All of use fought our denizens, but when i did it felt wrong.
    SJ: Like i was making some kind of mistake.
    SJ: ...
    SJ: Maybe you should try talking to them?

SJ: Hemera was trying to tell me something but i wasn't listening.

-

=> Leto: Knell.

You tap the bell, creating the tiniest sound. What the hell, go big or go home. You reel back with everything you have and...!

BONG.

You smash the WEATHERBANE on the side of the BELL, releasing a powerful noise that echoes through the land. Everywhere CRYSTAL SALT resonates and SHATTERS, freeing the LAND OF SOLACE AND FROGS of it's saline shackles.

A roar is heard from deep beneath the ground, and the DOOR OPENS.

SS: eh, why not.

SS: its not really that hard to buy,
    SS: after all,
    SS: we look *suspiciously* similar.
    SS: and you are kinda weird like her.

SS: no offense.

=> Wack
  • => Be Jean.

Various depictions of SUNS and LIONS cover the walls, but there is no information on the GRAMOPHONE or the RECORDS.

SJ: I don't know.

SJ: I just felt like fighting her was what i had to do.
    SJ: And by the time i got there my mind was set.
    SJ: ...

SJ: I heard once that you could play a cd on a record player.

-

=> Be Leto.

Beyond the door lies a BATHYSPHERE dangling above a tunnel of water that dips straight down.

SS: nah that tracks.

SS: though the thought of me and sj together is wack as shit,
    SS: i could totally see eb and js hooking up, making those fucking goblins.
    SS: they're the objectively crazy ones.

SS: again, no offense.

=> Down
  • => Jean: DJ.

SJ: Uh... sure?

SJ: What about them?

You start up the GRAMOPHONE, and sure enough, you SCRATCH THE FUCK out of that disk as the device blasts a deafening screeching noise.

The DOOR opens as an even louder sound roars from below. An ELEVATOR is now open to you with only the one button: DOWN.

-

=> Leto: Descend.

SS: its fine.

SS: so...
    SS: your denizen, huh?

You lower the BATHYSPHERE as you sit down and wait for you to reach the PLANET'S CORE.

=> Meeting the Denizens
  • => Kids: Descend.

JEAN and LETO lower deeper and deeper into their planets, talking up a storm with the two more amicable guides they've had.

SJ: Sure!
    SJ: I'll see what i can do.
    SJ: I'll see you on the other side.

SS: not really.
    SS: js mentioned her once, so did that seth kid.

SS: they seemed to be important for some reason.

Their connections drop as they lower beyond any signal the medium might offer. They are by themselves, but they are not alone. The bathysphere and elevator open in the PLANETS' CORES, revealing a cave with a large stone door bearing the symbols of ECHIDNA and YALDABAOTH. They enter.

Beasts each so large and serpentine that you would assume is some kind of DRAGON appears in front of the heroes, their heads covered in a shining and obfuscating light. A collection of sounds are uttered by the beasts, initially thought to be gibberish, but in truth is a language that only they and their hero spoke.

The red beast as BRIGHT AS THE SUN spoke to the PRINCE of a world LOST IN DARKNESS, protected only by the collected efforts of THE FOUR DENIZENS.
    The blue beast who SPARKLED LIKE THE MOON spoke to the KNIGHT of a way to UNMAKE THE WORLD, a set of QUILLS that could be bestowed to her.

The heroes would have to face a mighty trial and return unscathed for the beasts to give their offerings. With some hesitation, they ACCEPT, and are whisked away by powerful magics back to the SEVENTH GATE atop their homes.

In order to complete their quests, the PRINCE and the KNIGHT must ascend and REVIVE THE SEER, for only they could speak to LORD OF THE FORGE.

=> Father and Son
  • => Be Jean.

SJ: Hey!
    SJ: Good job dude.

-

=> Be Leto.

LL: Good

LL: Then the next goal is finishing up the Frog Breeding
    LL: Jean will have to assist you in perfecting the penultimate frog
    LL: After which you can begin the process of ascension

=> Toads
  • => Be Jean.

SJ: Simple, eb asked me to and i did.

SJ: She knows more about this stuff than i do, so i listen to her
    SJ: And yes, i did!

SJ: She's busy at the moment, but when she has a break she should be messaging you.

-

=> Be Leto.

You return to the ECTOBIOLOGY APPARATUS, where you can begin again the delicate process of FROG BREEDING.

Back