• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Twelve: Loviatar's Icy Laughter! (Pathfinder 2.0 Playtest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreleth peers into the cave as she answers Bren. "So far, I have seen nothing in this cave, but we are only on its precipice. I will not feel safe until it's depths are examined. The blood on the ground says that we are not alone in here." Looking back, she says, "In my Bag of Holding was a pair of scrolls for Endure Elements. It is easy enough to cast of you have arcane ability. We should let Luna- I mean Nivirea, use one to add it to her spell list. Them she can cast it on those in need. The other can be used now for whichever one of us suffering the most."

Once she sees a signal from Bren and Oreleth that it is safe to approach the cave, she comes up to them. "If we are in need of some light, I have this coin that I was able to cast my Light spell on that we can use."

If this were her own magic talent, it would be simple for her to use her magic. Now that she is a sorcerer, this will take a bit of experimentation to get good at casting spells again. All those years of study gone in a flash. A stirring of anger can be felt inside her. Someone is going to pay for this.

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

Now more adequately clothed, Nivirea squatted with her back against the cave wall and closed her eyes, relishing the newfound warmth. Though she smiled to herself as she did so, there was something painful about that smile. She didn't budge until she heard her name spoken by Oreleth.

She tentatively opened her eyes. "Fine. Just don't expect too much of me. I don't feel well." She shut her eyes again, and though she agreed with Oreleth, she made no attempt to stand up and retrieve the mentioned scroll. "Oh, Luna," she blinked, "I think some of your stuff is with me. In case you were wondering."

And that was the extent of her involvement, for now.

Luna looks over at the other woman with a nod. "My Wand of Scorching Rays should be right I that pocket, if you don't mind handing it to me? At least I know how to use that."

"The Lure of Atali" by Helene Boksle for the Age of Conan Original Video Game Soundtrack

The white of the snowflakes blanketed everyone. Especially Otiorin.

The cave, without a fire, was still nearly as cold as the outside. But in here, the wind could not touch any of you. Unless you had to go out into it. Out of the cave and back into the snowstorm, Otiorin went. Five times in total. Either the wind kicked up hard enough to bring him back in or he found himself up to his arms in stones or cold, barely-manageable branches for a fire. It was miserable work and yet, he seemed to cross the snow with an effortlessness he had never before possessed.

But Oreleth the now-half-elf knew it well. As he came into her view, she was reminded that fluidness had belonged to her once.

Only once this was done, did he search his borrowed possessions to find something, anything, that resembled a tinderbox.

As Otiorin crossed in and out of the cave, he felt a strange sensation stirring within him. Some ancient part of him, his elven heritage he could reasonably say, seemed to notice a faint but certain difference whenever he entered and left the cave. It was not just the temperature or the lack of wind or the snow about his knees, but something more. Having lived his life as a half-elf, being a full-blooded child of Corellon brought benefits he knew existed, but had only now begun to experience first-hand.

Full-blooded elves were magical creatures. As such, they could sometimes sense things most other races could not. As the mountain dwarves of Morgandir could know the hardiness and lineage of a castle just by casual examination, so could the elves of Waterwind and the Forest Eternal sometimes feel a soft tinge of specialness when in the presence of enchanted things. It was not a sense to be relied upon, so Otiorin had been told, but it was something that made every "true" elf and elf. The only other adventuring race Otiorin knew to share such an empathy were gnomes; half-elves were excluded.

And now, here in the cavern, he looked down at the snow upon "his" breastplate armor. Something was different! He found himself brushing the snow off of his hands and forearms. The feeling lessened slightly! He was on to something!

But the fire came first. Survival, after all, was the first order of business.

Finally, Otiorin the now-wood elf had enough tree branches and stones to get a good and responsible fire going. Here in this frozen forest, senses not before known to him seemed to offer to guide him. He found what he needed from the forest in far less of a time than he would have before the Snow Globe's magic had befallen he and his comrades. Back inside the cavern, Otiorin searched through the pack that did not belong to him for anything to help him create it. Toward this end, he discovered 6 tindertwigs, a tinderbox, a hooded lantern, and 3 flasks of oil. All were of wood elven make and design.

As Otiorin worked, Bria moaned fitfully nearby. It was like watching a person in the throes of an uncomfortable dream or perhaps a nightmare, except there seemed to be no waking her from it.

The tinderbox, Otiorin knew, could get a blaze going soon enough. After cleaning the clinging snow from the branches to make them dry enough to light, he fussed with the tinderbox only briefly. A spark turned into a welcome orange glow. Otiorin knew how to keep that glow alive and soon, the Wayward Wanderers had something they never before had to worry for when they were inside the Adventurers' Wagon - a good, old-fashioned, crackling fire to warm them.

Only those who were close enough to the fire could benefit from its heat. At the moment, that was only Otiorin and Bria.

As the first to be warmed by the fire, Otiorin saw the snowflakes literally melt away from him. If he focused himself, he could sense something faint and pulling. As the snow evaporated, his mind slowly began to clear as if a fog had been lifted from it!

The snow itself was enchanted and working against them!

Everyone in the Wayward Wanderers had the snow upon them, therefore everyone was affected. Yet one glance at Bria told him that she had been the most-heavily affected of them all...

Brendoran met Oreleth at the deep end of the cave. From here, the whiteness of the snowstorm outside was far enough away to bring them comfort for having found shelter. But one look toward their feet brought cause for concern. The blood trail led past them and deeper down the tunnel.

They stood 50 feet from the cave entrance and the tunnel reached on. To go any farther was to walk into darkness.

And yet that uneasy sensation stayed with her. Something called this place home. What it was, Oreleth did not know, yet her senses were sure of it, even if it seemed Brendoran's did not. And who could blame him? He was, even though changed, still only human. Oreleth still possessed the blood of Corellon Larethian's children.

As she paused at the edge of the darkness, she felt it again. A presence inside her mind! It chuckled again.

Her vision blurred for but a moment. She found herself shaking her head in an attempt to free herself. She felt as if her mind were clouded somehow. Perhaps that is why the presence found amusement? Who could tell?

When she opened her eyes again, she had reason to suddenly doubt her sanity! Bren had transformed! With the entrance of the cavern behind him, he seemed encompassed by fascinating, holy radiance! Brendoran Sarabina was the most peaceful, most goodly creature she had ever laid eyes upon!

As Oreleth experienced this, that inner chuckle within her became a little louder. It came from a male, of that she was certain. But a male what?

Still, she saw this!

This, but with long brown hair and all-white angelic wings.
Bren the Healer as seen by Dragonsight.jpg
(Image credit: mountain-extreme.com)

What does Oreleth do?

It was then that Luna approached Brendoran and Oreleth with her magically-lit copper coin in hand.

Once she sees a signal from Bren and Oreleth that it is safe to approach the cave, she comes up to them. "If we are in need of some light, I have this coin that I was able to cast my Light spell on that we can use."

The Light cantrip cast upon Luna's coin pushed the darkness back 20 feet in all directions with its coppery glow.

As the light illuminated Oreleth's now-half-elven features, both the son and daughter of Summerset made a striking discovery! Bren and Luna saw Oreleth's eyes as stared at Bren! Nor were those eyes human or elven in the least!
This, but the color of polished silver.
Dragon_Eyes from AtmosFX.jpg
(Image credit: AtmosFX)

Meanwhile, the now-lit fire seemed to beckon to Nivirea. There was, after all, a vast difference from going from non-freezing temperatures to absolutely comfortable, and that fire seemed to be as comfortable as she was going to get in this rocky, snow-touched cavern.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do?

p06dddss.jpg
(Image credit: Hunaner)
GAME DETAILS Location: In the Red Cave.
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"Snow Blizzard Cave Ambiance" by Ye Olde Ambiance

As everyone is gathering around the fire to warm themselves, Oreleth looks troubled. "I need to tell you something. I really don't know how to say this without sounding crazy, but there seems to be something in my head. A presence that was not there before. I've heard . . . laughter . . . in my head. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but it keeps on happening. So, do any of you have the same feeling that I'm having? Or is this just me?"

Otiorin Taletreader

As the snow fell away, Otiorin's mind raced with the revelation. If they were currently in Loviatar's domain, then everything here would be enchanted to a greater or lesser degree by their fell mistress.
"Everyone!", he called out urgently, "Draw closer to the fire and melt or dust off the snow. It's enchanted and working to weaken us!"
Even as he said it, he rushed over to Bria and started to urgently scrape the clinging flakes from her clothes, armor and hair, tossing the clumps to the fireside. Despite this unfamiliar body and it's unfamiliar senses, his love for Bria would overcome even the icy realm of a fell goddess.

Luna has absolutely no objections to getting close to the fire; her entire being seems to be half frozen. But as cold as she is, the wizard - I mean sorcerer, still has her wits about her. Taking the glowing coin, she lifts it up to get a better look at Oreleth's strange eyes.

"Oreleth, lean closer and open your eyes wide, if you please. Your eyes seem to be very unusual, and I'd like a better look at them." As she leans over to study the half-elf's eyes, she says, "I don't have any sensation of a presence in my mind besides my own. Head this presence been communicating to you?"

Brendoran Sarabina

Oreleth peers into the cave as she answers Bren. "So far, I have seen nothing in this cave, but we are only on its precipice. I will not feel safe until its depths are examined. The blood on the ground says that we are not alone in here."
Bren nodded. "Nor I, but we must stop somewhere at least for a little while."

His own blue-gray eyes widened as Luna's Light-enchanted coin brought out the extreme oddity of Oreleth's silvery, draconic ones, but whatever he might have said was interrupted by Otiorin's call from the fire. "Coming," he replied, and gestured to Oreleth and Luna to join the group at the fire with him, and Nivirea as he drew closer to the other group. Once there, and given the relative safety they were now in, he decided to let the arcane-inclined investigate Oreleth's eyes and instead attempted to use a different sort of ability.

Kneeling beside Bria, the paladin-turned-healer helped Otiorin brush all of the snow off Bria's body, and sought to determine what her injuries were -- by skill if he could, or by consultation with that strange but goodly sense within him.

"Symphony No. 1. 'The Lord of the Rings' I. 'Gandalf' by the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra

The Wayward Wanderers gather 'round the bright, inviting fire, their voices and footsteps echoing from the tunnel walls. The fire created animated shadows of each of them. As they neared it, the crackling orange flames ate away the greedy snowflakes that clung to their hair, armor, clothing, and belongings.

Otiorin heard the commotion from his fellows as Luna, Brendoran, and Oreleth rejoined them, for sound traveled down the tunnel all too well. But it was not until he looked up and saw his own eyes in that of Oreleth's that he knew for certain. Her eyes flashed like bright moons, slitted and all-seeing, as surely not hers as his dear Moonlit Edge shone in her hand and not his.

"A presence in my head," she said. "Laughter," she said. Otiorin knew all too well what power, what presence, troubled Oreleth. For it awoke him to these dangers and out of the clutches of the foul nightmare that had so horribly gripped him. And then it was gone. Now Otiorin Tale-Treader knew well where it had went even if the newest member of the Wayward Wanderers were without a clue.

Yet, that was not the only discovery to be made. There were three more...

Otiorin's silver-tongued words turned out to be pure gold. The Wayward Wanderers began to feel a fogginess, a confusion they had not known was there, slowly, tenderly, begin to lift from their troubled minds as the snow left their bodies. Suddenly, there was among some of you, a desperate urge to get all the snow off of you! It were as if the snowflakes were poison, the Snow Globe was the fangs, and Loviatar the serpent that delivered it all!

The snowflakes were soon gone, either by your own hands or those of your fellows or the flame itself. Looking out into the snowy weather now held additional meaning. Additional sinister meaning...

As the fire and Luna's copper coin illuminated the cavern and the snow's touch left you, each of you could see an important detail in the caverns none of you had seen before - humanoid tracks! Tracks by the dozens made by small feet, bare and clawed and totally inhuman. And yet, none of you could be sure as to what they were. Knowledge that was once yours now seemed gone, replaced by knowledge that was not yours. Knowledge and gifts and items and nearly everything else.

But deep inside, each of you were still you. You possessed the memory of yourself and this was now a thing more precious than a dragon's hoard.

* * *​

Without the snow's touch upon you, you could see deeper into yourselves. Silence passed between you as the feeling of self-discovery became greater and clearer. Like a blindfold swept from your eyes, the fire brought wisdom. Wisdom of the self.

A strong feeling warmed inside each one of you - the feeling of introspection. One hour, every day, most professions required some sort of practice and preparation to regain spells and abilities - regardless of your profession, you now knew you needed this hour to yourself. To be without it was to be kept in the dark where Loviatar wanted you.

To know the rest, you had to look into yourself. Monks called this meditation, paladins called this prayer, wizards called this study. Every profession and people had its own word or words for the journey, but the destination was all the same - you had to focus, seek silence, and look deeply inside your mind. There it would be found.

* * *​

"Strength and Honor" by Chulainn

As for the third discovery, that was not quite yet within your grasp. For Bria had been struck the hardest by Loviatar's maliciousness and her Snow Globe had performed all too well. She did not even stir as Brendoran inspected her.

Yet before Brendoran could make use of his considerable healing skills, something inside of him told her now that she was indeed injured. Her life-force was still strong, but it was not as it should be. Brendoran felt a pang in his gut right where Bria had inserted herself between the Snow Globe and her beloved friends. He did not even have to touch her to know this now. He could call upon that goodness inside of him...

Yet at the very thought, words crossed into Brendoran's mind. Perhaps to his surprise, he knew them. It was the Code of the Ko:

Code of the Ko
- Fear and hate no one. Love and respect everyone.
- Avoid killing, but if you must, do not hesitate.
- Help others. Create goals that promote compassion and fulfill them.
- Enlighten yourself only in whatever way feels natural and true to you.
- Your body is your holy symbol. Your mind is your shrine. Your spirit is your monastery. Practice daily.

Brendoran felt a sense of strength and resolve come from these words. Just as his father, Lord Killane Sarabina, had done, Brendoran realized he must now follow this for as long as he was Healer. And yet, Brendoran knew Bria to be the last Healer alive in all of Sharseya and perhaps beyond. There were additional requirements she seemed to hold dear. The answers were inside of him, he knew. LIke the others, they would require meditation to unlock.

Kneeling over Bria beside Otiorin, Brendoran suddenly fell into a trance. The Wayward Wanderers, Otiorin especially, saw a strange happening come over his human friend. Brendoran knelt as if deep in prayer. His eyes closed, a thin smile came to his lips as his face turned skyward. One hand touched his heart while the other reached out to Bria, freely and effortlessly, in a somatic movement you had all seen before - but not from Bren!

Then the sound of Bren's voice rocked the cavern as he gladly shouted out a word he had never before uttered.

"Aste'allo!"

Then as quickly as it had come, Bren's trance faded and clarity took hold once again. Bren fully realized he had been in a trance and had just cast upon Bria, healing her fully.

Immediately, something unseen but certainly felt, passed from Bren straight into Bria. The color immediately and fully returned to her face. She gasped and her eyes flew open. No longer cold as a stone, she was full of life again!

Bria looked about, aware but unsure of where she was. Then she saw the two handsome men sitting over her, their worried expressions clear in their manly faces. Bria first looked into Bren's eyes. She smiled, but there was something different about her smile. She examined him from head to toe in the manner of a woman appreciative at what she saw. Then she swiftly turned and did the same to Otiorin, her gaze drinking in every bit of him. A small gasp escaped her lips and a lovely blush rose to her face.

Then she spoke as if she had never spoken before. There was a sureness in her words, a new strength in her every syllable. Gone was the ever-soft and shy manner you knew replaced instead by something resolute and delighted. She spoke as a noble might.

"Oh, Mielikki be praised!" she exclaimed, looking back and forth from Bren to Otiorin.

"Upon seeing your faces, I thought I had fallen and passed into the Happy Hunting Grounds, but nay!" Without asking for a hand, Bria swiftly rose up to her feet, armor, weapons, and all. She stood tall and proud and utterly dignified. There, she brushed what little snow remained upon her person away. Her armor clinking, she looked about to everyone in the cave as if she did not know you at all.

"My heart beats again and I must have you to thank for it!" Eyes closed, braids drooping, Bria gave you a curtsey as perfect as any noblewoman in any noble house in all the realms. Then, her gauntleted hand upon her holy symbol, her eyes blazed as she introduced herself to you like a warrior born.

"I am Bria Goodheart, Paladin of Mielikki, foe of all evil, and protector of all who call the forest home!

Then her bold features softened into a smile. "Pray tell. Who are you, good adventurers, and how might I repay you for your kindness to me?"

p06dddss.jpg

On her way towards the fire Nivirea had passed the Wand of Scorching Rays to Luna without so much as a word, then crouched close to the flames with her eyes closed, waiting for the leftover snow to melt down. That's where she was to be found, presumably trying to make sense of things, when Bria finally woke up.

Nivirea blinked at her, surprised and confused at the same time, but feeling remotely glad to no longer be shivering.

Bren stood when Bria did, but it was more an automatic movement than a conscious decision. Her waking words both stunned him and sparked thoughts of someone completely different. She's forgotten us, just as all the world but his daughter forgot Shalin! A heavy weight settled on his heart, but he did not despair. Again, even as the thought of his dearest friend's curse brought sorrow, it also brought hope -- for Shalin had broken the worst aspects of his own curse. Surely Bren, Otiorin, and the rest could help each other break this one!

As ever, his feelings were echoed on his face; his mouth firmed with decision, though his eyes held both compassion and regret as he turned them on Bria's. "Dear friend," he said carefully, not wanting to imply any more than friendship given her relationship with Otiorin, "we are all, you included, under a curse sent by Mielikki's enemy Loviatar. Like the true friend you are, you took the brunt of it, which seems to have stolen not only your memory of us, but of yourself before the curse struck. We whom you protected have our memories still, but all of us are strangely changed from what we were. In some cases, our physical natures were altered, but in all, our adventuring paths and equipment has been exchanged with another."

He glanced at the others to see if they would add anything. If they did, he waited until they finished, then continued, "We don't know where we are, nor how to break this curse -- yet," and he emphasized that "yet" with a determinedly hopeful smile, "but I believe we must all stay together and work together. As we each grow familiar with our altered selves, we'll be better able to break this curse and return to Highwind."

He looked around at all of them. "For myself, I feel the need to meditate to find that self-knowledge. I suspect the rest of you do as well, by whatever name you call it. However, this doesn't appear to be the safest place, though it has given us much-needed shelter. Perhaps Oreleth and Otiorin can further explore the cave and see what sort of creature we're sharing it with? If we're lucky, it won't be inclined to argue our cohabitation, and we can all begin sorting out our inner selves."

Luna nods vigorously. "He speaks the truth. We were preparing to undertake a urgent quest to save the temple of Tapio from Loviatar's deadly touch. She must have known what we were planning to do, because the dark Goddess afflicted us with this curse that has changed us all in some fundamental way." She looks at Bria with an intense gaze, urging her to believe the tale. "We are all dear friends, and most of us have been traveling together for some time. If it were not for your healing touch, I fear that I would have been killed long ago. Please, trust our words and search your memories for the truth."

Oreleth looks at Bren and Luna doing their best to convince the forgetful Bria of their words, but she says nothing. She is too new to the group to know the (former?) Ko Monk/Paladin to be able to put her own emphasis in. Instead, she looks over at Otiorin and gives him a gentle hit to the shoulder. "You heard Bren. Lets see if there is anything hostile to us in the cave. At the least, we may be able to rescue another injured traveler, assuming that the person hasn't bled out yet."

Keeping the blades drawn, Oreleth takes a few steps down the cave before pausing to look over her shoulder at the others. "Be safe. We shall be back soon."

She kept out of the way while Bren and Luna did their best to bring the amnesic Bria up to speed. Oreleth was doing the same, probably on account of being new to the group, but Nivirea wasn't much different herself. What could she possibly say that would make a difference? When the archer-turned-rogue led the way deeper into the cave with Otiorin, Nivirea watched them go with quiet resignation. She huddled near the fire still, though the last of the snow flakes had melted off her already, and stared expressionless into the dancing flames.

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin's eyes lit up with joy as Bria sprang into animated life, but that joy froze and sank back as her words and their import struck him. She no longer recognises me. His heart skipped a beat at the realisation, then slowed as he sighed mournfully.
He turned back to the fire, lest his behavior be noted by Bria and tossed a couple more loose twigs into the hungry flames.
He was brought out of his reverie by Oreleth's cuff on the shoulder and nodded quietly.
"Let's see what's there.", he replied simply, hefting up the unfamiliar gear of the elven ranger and following the Half-Elf into the gloom.

"Symphony No. 1. 'The Lord of the Rings' I. 'Gandalf' by the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra

--With Oreleth and Otiorin--​

Elf and half-elf prowled together. Oreleth and Otiorin had only gone a short distance down the chilly tunnel when it became evident that the campfire's light could not aid them further. Even their Corellon-given low-light vision, while doubling the distance of normal human sight in the gloom, was not proof against total darkness. Only 100 feet from their friends, they faced now a curtain of utter black.

In order to truly explore the unknown, they required illumuniation.

* * *​

--At the Wayward Wanderers' Camp--​

For long moments, Paladin Bria stood motionless as she received Bren and Luna's explanations and requests. Her pretty brown eyes hardly blinked as she silently pondered all that was told her. Finally, she shook her head and addressed Luna.

"A potent enigma. I have done as you have asked; indeed, I know you not." She examined each of you sternly. "All of you are strangers to me. This raises many questions. Clearly, you could have done with me what you would had you been an enemy of the Forest Mother, but you did not. Instead, you restored me. Strangers, forgotten friends, or something else - my code of honor dictates I attempt to repay you in kind."

She raised a gauntleted hand to her chin and pondered. "Ah!" she cried. "Though you already call me friend, I must abide by tradition. Therefore, I offer to join your party against Loviatar! This comes with the single condition that none of you perform any acts of evil for as long as I am in your fellowship." Her voice carried down the tunnel. "If this you so solemnly swear, then teach me the name of your fellowship, and my fighting axe and the heart that guides it are yours to depend upon."

Paladin Bria regarded each of you with a serious smile, one you had never seen before upon Bria of the Ko. "What say you?"

p06dddss.jpg

Oreleth frowns. If I were still me, I would be able to cast a Light spell and illuminate the area. She looks over at Otiorin and says, "Since you appear to be me, you can make light either with a Light cantrip, or with the magic of my- of your bow. Either way, it will help us to see in this inky black." She then goes through a quick description on how to make the bow activate the power of the bow to glow.

Last edited:
Luna looks across the fire at Bria, then she stands up and walks around to take the hand of the other woman. "I may not have the same level of virtue as a paladin, but I do always try to live my life in a good manner as I was taught by my mother and father." She looks Bria in the eye, and squeezes the other woman's hand. "But I do swear to Boccob and to Mielikki that I will not knowingly and willingly commit an act of evil while you are in our party. So says a daughter of the Callen line of Wizards, even if I don't quite look the part right now."

"We call ourselves the Wayward Wanderers, and have been a close fellowship for a long time, and have seen both heartache and joy as we travel together. What questions do you have of us that we can give you the answers to? I will do what I can to ease your mind about us."

Bren smiled as Luna makes her promise, then followed with his own. "I know it's difficult to believe, but we are your friends, and will continue to act as such. However, if your heart requires a promise until your mind can remember us, I will be happy to give it. Bria Goodheart, on my devotion to Mielikki and my hope of becoming her paladin once more, I, Brendoran Sarabina, son of Killane Sarabina of Summerset, do hereby swear to commit no evil acts."

He nodded in agreement with Luna's offer of answers. Whatever was in his power to give, he would willingly offer.

"Long Forgotten Gold" by the Lonely Mountain Band (the friendly and excellent John Di Bartolo - a true modern-day bard!)

--With Oreleth and Otiorin--​

Oreleth guided Otiorin on how to concentrate on the memory of light - to imagine radiance and speak a command word - and it worked! A gentle white light began and grew forth in 20 feet in all directions. They had the light they required. Proceeding forward, they knew their low-light vision could allow them to see twice as far in the gloom, if they decided to use it.

They heard Luna providing some impassioned words toward Bria. Or Paladin Bria as it seemed to be for the moment. It was almost worth stopping their quest to listen to Luna speak as she did. She did not sound quite like herself, but instead, she seemed filled with a power of personal spirit she had never before had. They had seen that same spirit in Nivirea who now seemed to lack it.

Oreleth and Otiorin crossed into the unknown. Step by step, they could hear the tell-tale creak of their leather and breastplate and the gentle rustling of their weapons and gear. The tunnel allowed for sound to travel much, much farther than outside and the deeper they went underground, the more something inside of them felt uneasy. "Elves," it had been said, "do not walk in the dark." At least, not with choice, most added.

They traveled together, Oreleth with her hands filled with steel, Otiorin with Oreleth's enchanted longbow lighting the way. After 150 feet, the tunnel twisted downward. On and on you traveled with a bloodstain to follow every 30 feet or so. Then after having traveled roughly 400 feet, both rogue and fighter came across a bridge that spanned a deep, dark gorge. The gorge seemed to swallow all things, including light, but it was the great and ghastly bridge itself that shook the heart of any good being looking at it...

"The Dead Dragon Bridge"
Take note of the figures in the artwork at the mouth of the head - that is to scale with Oreleth and Otiorin.
kamil-tondera-rox-skull-dwa.jpg
(Image credit: The talented artist, Kamil Tondera)

* * *​

--At the Wayward Wanderers' Camp--​

Sorceress Luna exerted herself to try and convince Bria and it was something worth watching!

Both Brendoran and Nivirea heard the fey-blooded Luna give to Bria the best speech they had ever heard Luna give! Luna's voice and manner were filled with emotion and confidence, her body language and eye contact commanded attention like that of a natural speechmaker. Luna the wizardly bookworm became a memory, replaced by a red-haired, exotic beauty of a woman who walked and talked like a work of art come alive.

Even Luna was not immune to the combined power of her new-found charisma coupled with the natural passion of the fey-blood that now flowed in her veins. She did not sound like herself, but instead like some dream-like fantasy. Sorceress Luna's every word was crystal clear and spoken with such energy as to be hard to not take notice of, or perhaps, resist. Luna quickly realized that this kind of power came with an addictive quality - for the power to sway others was perhaps one of the greatest powers in all of civilization.

Despite the strangeness of her tale, Luna provided Bria with such heartfelt devotion and absolute conviction as to make a believer out of the worst of skeptics. Luna quickly realized that if she had this kind of power of the spirit, she would have been an entirely different woman of the Callen line - for she probably would have gotten damn near anything she wanted. At least, that is how it felt in this moment.

When Luna was finished, Paladin Bria simply stared back into Luna's eyes, near-mesmerized. Luna found her own blood pumping furiously. Strange thoughts began to twist about in her head. For a moment, Luna found herself glancing at Bren. Had he always been so manly? How is it she had not noticed?

Bria sighed and looked downcast for a moment. Then she looked up and squeezed Luna's hands with such strength as to display a greatness that was not present when Luna and Bria had wrestled like newborn kittens not so long ago. Paladin Bria nodded at Luna and Bren, pleased. She looked from Nivirea to Bren to Luna. "By Mielikki's eyes, you have convinced me! I... I was your friend once. I was everyone's friend once," she said, not entirely realizing the truth to her words.

"You..." she looked to Brendoran. "You mentioned requiring meditation and prayer? Allow me to take watch while you recover yourselves? But as for questions...

Unafraid, Bria looked out into the cold. "...how do we return things to as they should be?"

p06dddss.jpg

Watching Luna from the side, Nivirea was indeed captivated by her performance - but not in a good way. The look in her eyes was anything but pleasant, growing from an aloof stare to the gaze of someone utterly dissatisfied with something. It was almost a frown; her eyes narrowed slightly, reflecting her inner thoughts. While her mien couldn't rightly be described as malicious, it would be somewhat hard to imagine this girl, right now, illuminated by the red of the fire, swearing to do no evil...

Bria's last question snapped her out of it. She blinked, checked her surroundings, and then stood up with a stretch. There were still bits of her previous mood on her when she looked at the others, like the jagged remains on the frame of a shattered window. "I think I'll go join the others," she declared after exhaling a deep breath. "They can't have gotten too far... And they might need help."

She waited for only a moment before turning around and heading down the tunnel.

Otiorin Taletreader

Otiorin only half-heard Oroleth's word of instruction regarding the bow. He already knew the words and actions required to cause it to glow. He held it before him like a burning brand, his right hand resting instinctively upon the quiver of arrows at his hip. He knew that he could draw nock and loose an arrow in the time it took Oroleth to take an inward breath and he knew that, even in the pale light cast by the bow, he would have more than a fair chance of slaying whatever he aimed at.
"Moonlit Edge also has the power to cast light.", he replied, looking almost mournfully at the Waterwind relic, "Will her to light and she'll do so. Her edge is also quickened with the element of ice."

In time the tunnel opened out into a vast chamber and Otiorin breathed a gasp.
"Merciful Corellon! This one was bigger than Vardadraug!", he said in an awed whisper, "I wonder how it ended up down here and how it ended?"
His ears picked up the sound of movement behind them that did not belong to Oreleth or himself and glanced back to see Nivirea drawing closer.
"Well met, Nivirea. Come to join the intrepid explorers in the long deep dark?"

Oreleth doesn't say anything about the sword having the same power to glow as her bow; instead, she just gives the silent command to make the light to have the resulting illumination join that of Otiorin. Looking at the skeletal bridge in amazement, she says, "Only in ancient tales have I ever heard of a dragon this large. It makes me wonder at the power of the one to lay it low like this. It would seem that this blood trail crosses the gorge here, since I can see no other way across. We should go and gather up the others."

Last edited:
Unafraid, Bria looked out into the cold. "...how do we return things to as they should be?"
Luna lets out a deep sigh at this question. For a long moment, she does not answer, but finally comes up with, "To be completely honest, I don't know. What I do know, all of this happened as we were preparing to take the fight to Loviatar and stop her from using her evil powers to form a bridge between her realm and ours, corrupting the Temple of Tapio, and preventing the God from returning to His rightful place. This, in turn, is how we can stop a major war and save thousands of lives. I believe, but I must confess that I have no proof, that if we can successfully stop this bridge and restore the Temple, that will be enough to undo what has been done to us."

"I have studied with some of the best wizards in Sharseya, and magic like this is far beyond anything I have ever heard of before. I bet coppers to platinum that our current plight is a curse of divine nature, and if we can find a way to strike a blow against Loviatar, it might be the key to restoring us all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back