• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Twelve: Loviatar's Icy Laughter! (Pathfinder 2.0 Playtest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendoran Sarabina

Bren stared at Nivirea's retreating back, concern plainly written in his expression. "All right," he said hesitantly, "but please call if you need any help. And don't stay by yourself anywhere -- stick with Otiorin and Oreleth, or come back here. None of us should be alone right now." He shook his head, watching her go. Behavior like that is why I tended to stay away from the "spoiled noble" types back in Summerset. Well, with any luck, she just needed to let off some steam and couldn't be bothered to do any explaining.

He sighed and turned back to the conversation with Bria and Luna. "If I may correct you, Luna: according to our information, that bridge is already in existence and we need to destroy it, and that in turn should help end the ongoing war at Highwind." He smiled and nodded. "I have very little experience with curses like this myself, but it may be that you are right and that successfully completing our mission could be the way to restoring us to ourselves, or at least a large step on that path. My friend Shalin was also cursed by Loviatar, and continuing to act against her and her allies helped negate several aspects of his curse." He looked at Bria-the-Paladin. "Would you happen to know anything related to this? Or have you more questions? I don't think we should meditate until we know it's safe to do so, and all of us are back together again, but once that's accomplished I will gladly take you up on your offer. In the meantime, if there's anything we can share to further our knowledge of each other and this situation we're in, I think we should do that."

"Echoes of the Mountain Peak" by Composer Kumi Tanioka for the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Original Soundtrack

--With Oreleth and Otiorin--​

The chill of the heatless cavern gripped Otiorin and Oreleth and the towering dragon-bone bridge did nothing to improve spirits, for the bloodstain-trail led into the mouth of the dead reptile, through its gigantic body, and beyond into the foreboding unknown. Great cascades of icy light lanced down from gaps in the frosty ceiling - a stark reminder that it was still daylight and once the sun had gone down, so too would the coldness about them.

Yet, a male voice could be heard in the distance just beyond the bridge. It was thin and whiny-sounding. It carried a practiced belligerence as it taunted. "I see your light, you, uh, clumsy intruders!! Straighten your... weak knees forward and challenge me or pay my toll if you wish to cross the bridge! Uh, I will be your dooooom!" And yet, there seemed to Oreleth and Otiorin's ears, a hesitance, as if perhaps the challenger were reciting or reading his phrases...

As this happened, Oreleth continued to behold the bridge. Something in Oreleth's mind stirred once again. Though her strange vision had left her, allowing her to see Otiorin and all things as she was used to seeing them, there was a feeling of ominous anticipation as Oreleth beheld the dragon bridge. Something inside of her knew without a shadow of a doubt - this bridge was no feigned construction built to frighten would-be trespassers - these were the bones of a real dragon!

And that something inside Oreleth dared her to call upon her strange vision again...

What do Oreleth and Otiorin do?

Accepting the challenge will bring you out of Exploration mode and into Encounter mode. Be prepared!

"The Dead Dragon Bridge"
Take note of the figures in the artwork at the mouth of the head - they are to scale with Oreleth and Otiorin.
kamil-tondera-rox-skull-dwa.jpg
Image credit: The talented artist, Kamil Tondera)

* * *​

--At the Wayward Wanderers' Camp--​

Nivirea the Wizard could feel the warmth retreating from her body as she left the fire. The way toward Otiorin and Oreleth was masked by darkness. Unless the now-brainy Summerset noble wanted to fumble around in the cold and dark while alone, a light would be necessary to try and follow the elven-blooded members of her fellowship.

As for Bren and Luna, strange feelings roused themselves inside Luna. It was becoming difficult for the new sorceress to not look at Bren. It was as if a natural feeling inside of her pulled her. It was not a sensation she was used to feeling except for only once in her life - when she was alone with Leonard Wolf the Ranger. Why she felt these feelings now was a sudden mystery for her to solve.

Meanwhile, Paladin Bria stepped closer to the campfire, her chainmail armor clinking with each step until her armor and hair radiated orange from the welcome flames. Then she posed unconsciously in a moment of thought.

Paladin Bria spoke with strength instead of softness. "I know nothing of the magical bridge or of a person named Shalin you mention, but I have come prepared with knowledge and wisdom against the foul minions of Loviatar." She tapped her axe as if to show she had brought along more than knowledge. "I am here to gain access to the dungeons under Castle Anguish! The devious Gully Gulch Goblins have entered this place and are sacrificing innocent forest creatures to something horrible within those dungeons."

Her face took on a look of momentary anguish coupled with steely resolve. "As a knight of the Forest Mother, I must put an end to this!" She cried out and pointed down the tunnel in the direction Nivirea was heading.

"Beyond this tunnel lies the Dead Dragon Bridge and, if I have learned rightly, a challenge must take place there in order to cross it! Mielikki has called upon me t to put a stop to these goblins and my code of honor will not allow me rest until my axe has seen action, my, um, friends!" This last she blurted out.

Paladin Bria reached into her Bag of Holding and withdrew a bedroll surrounding a large object. She unrolled the roll just enough to reveal a large spiked shield that you recognized as Powerpaw's, except now it was sized for Bria as if it had always been. Then she neatly tightened the bedroll and stowed it before easily hefting the metal shield upon her left forearm.

"Would you please remind me of your names and those of everyone in your, er, our fellowship?" To Bren, she added. "You appear to lead us, wise one. What course of action do you recommend?"

Anyone wishing to remind Bria of her party's names need not write the whole thing out unless you want to. A simple "my character reminds Bria of our names" works well enough for me. The choice is yours. =)

Goblins are effectively "1st level creatures." Last you checked, you were all 9th (in Nivirea's case) or 10th. With your abilities and items, any of you alone could cause a large group of goblins to suffer without serious harm to yourself, if you played your cards right. Together, even a small army of goblins should stand no chance against the Wayward Wanderers.

p06dddss.jpg
(Image credit: Hunaner)
GAME DETAILS Location: In the Red Cave.
Mode: Exploration
Click Blue Box for Ambiance =)
"Snow Blizzard Cave Ambiance" by Ye Olde Ambiance

Last edited:
Brendoran Sarabina

Bren listened to Bria's story of her mission with growing concern, but answered her latest question first. "I am Brendoran Sarabina, son of Killane Sarabina of Summerset," he replied. "When not under the curse, I too am one of Mielikki's paladins, and I hope to so conduct myself as to merit her faith in me even now, when it appears I am instead a healer by profession. This is Luna Callen, also of Summerset, normally a wizard and pyromancer." He paused here to allow Luna to say more of herself if she chose.

Afterwards, or if she remained silent, he continued, "Nivirea of Summerset, previously a sorceress, has just left us to join up with Otiorin, a half-elf mage and rogue of Waterwind, and Oreleth, a travelling Wood Elven archer, who seem to have exchanged races as well as professions, even as Luna appears to have been granted Nivirea's fey heritage and Nivirea, Luna's, um, lack of feyness." That sounded awkward even to him, and he shook his head at it before continuing. "There are more in our party, but for whatever reason they seem to have been left behind." He hoped that was true, and that the Goddess of Pain had not simply divided the party and cursed both halves.

He shook off that thought and smiled at Bria. "For the present, once our companions return, I believe we should take you up on your offer and leave you to guard our meditations, while we delve into our deeper selves and learn what we are now capable of. We shall certainly need that knowledge soon. If what you say is true, your quest is one worthy of any good person's help. Moreover, I know, though you must trust me on this, that you did not know about it before our arrival here, and such precise information strikes me as either a trap set by she who cursed us, or a blessing sent by She whom we serve to guide us to our freedom. Either way, it's sure to lead us to more information about why we're here and how to return home." He glanced down the tunnel, wondering how long it would be before the three scouts returned, but taking comfort in the lack of shouting and other audible signals of trouble.

Once Bren introduces her to their erstwhile paladin, she nods. "I come from a long line of wizards. It was never a question for me as to what I was going to do with my life, and my earliest memories include me following daddy around as he performed various incantations." She smiles at the memories that come up. "But that is long in the past, and now, it would seem that I am focused on a new kind of magic that I will need to come to terms with, so I know what I can do to aid in this effort to destroy the Bridge and to restore us all to our rightful selves."

Luna pauses for a moment, fearing for the safety of Sparkle and the others that were at the magic shop when the cursed snow globe exploded. "I agree with Bren that some measure of self-discovery is necessary, and I trust you completely that you will keep us all safe as we do the needed personal exploration of our new talents."

Yet, a male voice could be heard in the distance just beyond the bridge. It was thin and whiny-sounding. It carried a practiced belligerence as it taunted. "I see your light, you, uh, clumsy intruders!! Straighten your... weak knees forward and challenge me or pay my toll if you wish to cross the bridge! Uh, I will be your dooooom!" And yet, there seemed to Oreleth and Otiorin's ears, a hesitance, as if perhaps the challenger were reciting or reading his phrases...
Oreleth raises up an eyebrow as she listens to the voice out in the darkness. With one hand, she reaches out to Otiorin and places a hand on his shoulder. With a quiet whisper, she says, "Let us take our leave of this and return to the others. Were I still myself, I am confident that I could lose enough arrows into whatever it is that awaits us on the other side to not be worried. Now, I don't know my current talents enough to take up the challenge."

In a loud voice, she calls out to the person out in the darkness. "Please forgive me, but my knees are too weak to handle facing a challenge such as yourself! We will go back the way we came."

Otiorin Taletreader

The Elf ranger’s lips twitched into a smile as Oreleth called out to the unseen challenger. He nodded silently, seamlessly melting back toward the tunnel they had entered the cavern from. It could be that the unseen person issuing challenges was an unskilled peon bluffing desperately, or it could be a careful ploy to lull intruders into a false sense of security. It made sense to report back to the others and devise a plan of action.

"Echoes of the Mountain Peak" by Composer Kumi Tanioka for the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Original Soundtrack

--With Oreleth and Otiorin--​
"The Dead Dragon Bridge"
Take note of the figures in the artwork at the mouth of the head - they are to scale with Oreleth and Otiorin.
kamil-tondera-rox-skull-dwa.jpg
Image credit: The talented artist, Kamil Tondera)

In a loud voice, she calls out to the person out in the darkness. "Please forgive me, but my knees are too weak to handle facing a challenge such as yourself! We will go back the way we came."

"What? What?!" the male voice squeaked and shrieked and became bolder. "You mean it worked?! Uh, I mean, that's right! Go back if you know what's good for you!"

Otiorin and Oreleth kept hearing something in the speaker's accent, something that kept ringing the bells of familiarity through their minds. Then, it came upon each of them - this creature spoke with a goblin accent. For full-blooded elves and those who used to be full-blooded elves, the accent was now clear to them. And goblins meant one thing to elves - cowardly treachery. For goblins never played fair and hardly ever attacked alone.

Oreleth the Rogue and Otiorin the Fighter took this knowledge with them as they returned down the tunnel whence they came.

* * *​

At the edge of the campfire's light, Nivirea the Wizardess heard the return of Oreleth and Otiorin. They had returned unscathed though their bodies ached for the warmth of the fire. As Luna and Brendoran explained to Bria the Paladin, the fellowship was whole once more.

Bria the Paladin stood watch over you while you gathered around the fire. Nivirea broke out Luna's spellbook and studied. Brendoran fell into a meditative trance. Otiorin cleared his mind and inwardly practiced martial techniques. Luna quieted her emotions and let her powers restore themselves. Oreleth turned her senses toward preparation.

The following silence was disturbed only by the crackling of the campfire and the howling of the white winds outside.

After a while, each of you came out of your respective mental and spiritual states and returned to the present, a little wiser and much better prepared to face what lie ahead.

10f7365ae3a83129b412f4aeb2ba0b0d.jpg
(Image credit: Pinterest )

Last edited:
Otiroin Taletreader

This was an enlightening moment for Otiorin. For so long he had wondered why his Elven relatives had seemed so fay and alien to him. Now it became clearer. From the moment he had settled himself down and easily slipped into a pseudo-meditative state, all his bodily concerns vanished. The pressing coldness of this icy realm was gone, the gnawing feeling of hunger in his belly evaporated, even the unyielding hardness of the floor beneath him rear faded to insignificance.

He was in the realm of his own mind, yet it was no dream state. He could not fly, nor could he perform feats of the impossible as a dreamer might. His mind was fully grounded in the abilities his physical form was capable of. When he jumped, he reached a height and distance he knew he would be able to achieve in the waking world. When he swung a weapon, he landed blows with a force and intensity as he would against a flesh-and-blood enemy. He reveled in the experience, shadow-fencing against imagined foes, dancing around simulated attacks and delivering ripostes that landed false wounds. Even in this dream world, his physique and techniques were exceptional. And all the while, he felt the presence of Elven heritage stretching back thousands of years, millenia of family memories and racial traditions tempering his actions. He gained greater understanding of why some Elves looked down on the shorter-lived and faster-maturing Half-Elves. In their eyes, a fully grown Half-Elf was still barely a juvenile and an elderly one would be considered a young adult. But the life and vivacity of the Half-Elves was like a blazing brand against the slow burning candle of a full-blooded Elf's cultural history.

He came to a conclusion. He still admired his Elven kin, but he also pitied them slightly. While they had the lifespan to experience far greater things than a Half-Elf, they did so with less awe and excitement of a Half-Elf. The wonder and curiosity that was the domain of the Human part of his previous Half-Elven body was muted in Elves. They experienced those feelings, but they were not as moved by them. He remembered a clearing, dominated by a great ancient being, where a young Half-Elf cut his own palm and swore ardently to go to whatever ends were necessary to give succor and aid to Elves who would as easily cut him down. Would an Elf have done such a thing? He felt it unlikely.

He opened his eyes and sighed.

Under the watchful eye of Bria, Luna settled down into a deep state of meditation, delving into the mysteries of her own mind. She understood the principles of magic better than most, but the connection that a Sorcerer has to their power is very much different than the one a Wizard has. At a early stage of her studies, Luna did look into some of the differences between the two, but kept her focus on her Evoker lessons.

This was walking a path she had never been down before, but since it was dealing with magic, it will be one that she will master until such time as they can reverse the curse laid upon them by the Mistress of Pain. Her entire life may have been torn asunder, but she still possesses the Callen stubbornness to win at any challenge placed before her.

"Lament of Eorl the Young" by Lonely Mountain Band (performed by John Di Bartolo, lyrics of this poem-become-song by J.R.R. Tolkien). =)

One by one, each of you returned from your preparations back into to the cold unknowns of the fire-lit tunnel. Now you were a bit more prepared and there was a strength of spirit that came with knowing this.

Bria stood with her hand on her axe near the entrance to the cave, that strange red lantern-like light swaying near her. She was watchful and listening, but only the cold and your movements echoing through the tunnel were there to disturb you.

What do the Wayward Wanderers do now?

Last edited:
Brendoran the Healer

Bren had done his share of memorizing spells from time to time in the past. Adventuring mishaps and retrainings, and the unfortunate death or two, had resulted in his knowing and experiencing the act of spell memorization as a skilled ranger; much more recently, and much more infrequently, had come the memorizing of paladin spells. A healer's preparation of spells, he now realized, was a very different thing from either of those. It really was meditation in the Ko sense, a quiet, peaceful time of self-enlightenment, a time to renew one's acquaintance with oneself without the distractions of the outside world. He rather hoped he would be able to keep that part of it when he was returned to his proper self. It was so very restful, so very spiritually renewing. He held onto that feeling as he opened his eyes and stood up, looking around at the others with a smile.

Once all had joined him in wakefulness, as it were, he turned to Bria, still standing guard over them, and said quietly, "Thank you, Bria. I believe we are all more ready to face the path ahead of us now." More firmly, he continued, "Now then. Earlier Bria told us that she has some knowledge of this place and of a mission here. While I can't say where this knowledge comes from, it's still more than any of us seem to have been granted. If true, it's a mission that ought to be performed in any case; and if not, then seeking it out will still lead us to more information than we have now. Bria, will you go over it again for those who weren't present then? And could the rest of you share any information you may have discovered, whether it seem relevant or not?"

"Lament of Eorl the Young" by Lonely Mountain Band (performed by John Di Bartolo, lyrics of this poem-become-song by J.R.R. Tolkien). =)

Paladin Bria's armor clinked as she nodded to Bren's request. She may have changed armor, profession, and perhaps even personality, but Paladin Bria's pretty little grin was the same little happy expression you had always known. The firelight reflected in her eyes as she spoke.

"By the Bear, it all started when those dastardly Gully Gulch Goblins began ceaselessly hunting and slaying the innocent animals and faerie spirits of Mielikki's forest and all who sought to protect them! I meant to follow the blood trail here to this tunnel, beyond the challenge of the Dead Dragon Bridge lie the Dungeons of Castle Anguish! There, the goblins conduct unholy rites to gain the favor of some nameless evil inside."

She bit her lip and pounded her mailed fist in such a way that it reminded one of Powerpaw's tenaciousness. "As a Knight of Mielikki, my code of honor demands I act to stop this! For if the Gully Gulch Goblins are allowed to continue, the Brightwood Forest will be a haven for innocent creatures no longer! "

As Bria spoke, a frigid breeze entered the tunnel. It briefly seemed to touch the fire that gave all of you warmth. The campfire appeared to shiver.

It was then you heard the goblin-accented chanting of several creatures coming toward the tunnel from the snow-laden outside. You could not tell their numbers. Their ugly voices were thin and guttural and high with cruelty, their evil spirits as pure as yellow snow.

Coupled with this came the sounds of desperate yipping and whining from small, tormented creatures that had no way out.

Each of you heard the goblins chant their victory chant...

"Wriggle and cry, lit-tle fo-xes
caged inside our thor-ny bo-xes!
You'll fear no more from snow and ice when you become bloody sacrifice!
Aieeee ha ha haaaah!"

The goblins were coming. The blizzard had obscured their arrival. The Wayward Wanderers had but a single round to prepare (before Initiative)!

What do you do?

View attachment 524000

Luna lets out a few choice words that would make a sailor blush if one ever heard her. She leaps to her feet and says to her companions, "Don't get in front of me until I can cast a spell! I'll use Burning Hands, and it is a cone that will hopefully hit a number of the goblins and thin their numbers a bit! Then you melee types can do your thing with the sharp pointy stuff."

Otiorin Taletreader

Rising to his feet, the Elf brought bow and quiver to readiness. Though his thoughts were swifter than a mountain stream during snowmelt, his demeanor was as settled as a high mountain lake in the dead of winter. His sharp ears caught the coarse, unlovely voices of the goblins, the yelps of their imprisoned prey and even the creaks of the shoddy cages the foxes were trapped in. His almond shaped eyes narrowed dangerously and his lips set into a vicious slit in the alabaster skin of his face.
"I shall hold, slightly back and to one side. I shall endeavor to counter any ranged troops or casters they have in their number."

Oreleth leaps to her feet, her hand going to the hilt of the blade on her side. "Use your spells wisely, Luna Callen. We may be able to deal with these goblins with simple force of arms. Let us first see how many we are dealing with before you expend your mystic energies." She shifts her position in the cave to be off to one side, making sure that she is out of the line of fire (Ha! See what I did there?) of the Burning Hands spell if it is unleashed.

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

Nivirea hung back, as was becoming her custom lately, shutting Luna's spellbook with a definitive thump and standing up to prepare. She looked a little more awake now that the danger they were in was taking on a more material form. Her eyes were glued to the cave mouth and that ominous glowing lantern while her mind processed the foreign, newly memorized spells.

Brendoran the Healer

Mentally, Bren ran over the new spells and abilities he'd discovered during his meditation. Many were reactionary, like healing, or didn't seem immediately appropriate, like Message or Alarm. However, there was something he thought would be useful. These might be just goblins, but then the curse had so diminished his party that goblins might just be a challenge. And of course, every little bit helped, all the same.

He nodded as the group established basic tactics for the first round (namely that Luna was casting a cone-shaped fire spell, and everyone else knew to stand out of its way, and that Otiorin was going to focus on the ranged attackers). That seemed good enough for the information they had. "And I assume you'll be taking point for us, Bria?" he asked their current paladin. It felt very strange to ask, but, well, he couldn't do that himself, not without breaking her healer's vows for her, and not without putting himself into more danger than he was geared (or currently skilled) for.

As the goblins' voices drew closer, he focused on the healer's power within himself for his friends' benefit, invoking the Aura of Protection at its greatest radius, and moved to place himself near enough to Luna, Nivirea, and Otiorin to make sure they were within it; Bria and Oreleth if he could, but he knew they would be closing with the enemy before long.

If Bren can't get everyone within the aura, he's going to prioritize Luna and Nivirea since they have the lightest armor.

Last edited:
(EDIT: I goofed!) =)

Last edited:

"Battle of the Mounds" by Basil Poledouris for the Conan the Barbarian Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

It was at that moment that Paladin Bria got a good look at Otiorin, perhaps for the first time since their transformations.

She gasped and gave the hint of a smile unconsciously given. "You! I know you!" But then she broke off when she remembered the goblins. There would be time for talk later, if all went well.

"And I assume you'll be taking point for us, Bria?" he asked their current paladin.

Paladin Bria smoothly drew her axe, readied her shield, and prepared to march to the front of the group. She gave a smoldering stare toward the cave entrance and the goblins' chant. Quietly with steel in her voice, Paladin Bria responded. "Mielikki as my witness, our foes shall not find me wanting."

Then the goblins entered the cave. Small and loathsome, sneakily-armed and chaotically wandering in as if they owned all before them.

And yes, one indeed is whirling spiked chains!
Goblin-Chainwhirler-Dominaria-MtG-Art_690x.jpg
(Image credit: FlipSide Gaming )

p06dddss.jpg
Mode: Encounter!

Last edited:

"Battle of the Mounds" by Basil Poledouris for the Conan the Barbarian Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

"Heeeeey!" screamed out an armored goblin pointing a bent finger down the tunnel and at you. His cohorts paused, their figures cautious and apprehensive. "Where'd dat fire come from?"

"Yeah," answered another as he cocked his ratty crossbow. "Dat wuddn't dere dis mornin'! Whut's wit dem shadows?"

One of his wart-faced, hook-nosed brethren whopped him on the back of the head. "Stoopid! Dem's is trespassers! We got trespassers!!"

Yep! It's true, friends. In all facts and fairness, the Wayward Wanderers blew their shot at a surprise round. Goblins may be dumb, but who wouldn't notice the red, roaring campfire crackling inside this otherwise dark and dreary tunnel? Especially since they've been in here before and there wasn't one last time?

Something to keep in mind for later encounters, right Gang? =)

* * *​

There were benefits to being over six feet tall. Not only had the Sarabina family raised the greatest and best horses in the valley city of Summerset, they raised some big boys, too.

Healer Bren Sarabina was the only Wayward Wanderer that noticed the two tall, thin, and misshapen figures behind this group of six goblins. Being a born horseman, Bren knew wargs when he saw them. Those shaggy, lawless canines loved nothing more than to cause pain and mayhem, especially upon innocents. At first, Bren's battle-experienced brain screamed big trouble! For even a single warg could cause serious damage to even a party of experienced adventurers cursed to possess the powers of mere novices, however powerfully-geared.

But at second glance, Bren noted that if they were wargs, they were the small, fast kind - probably young. Their sides seemed to be carrying saddlebags or whatever the goblins used as such. This did not seem to burden the furry, savage creatures. Each warg had a goblin rider, armored with shields readied. But these two stayed behind their group, hesitant, and apparently waiting for something...

Bren was the first to act. What did he do?

Sadly, Wargs (dire wolves) are common enough in and around the continent of Averlund that no one needs roll a Monster Lore check on them. That goblins and wargs team together is also far from secret (I mean, which of your characters didn't read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings? Er, I mean, uh, everyone just knows about the whole warg and goblin thing. No rolls needed. Oh goodie, right? Hee hee. =) ).

Last edited:
Brendoran the healer

Bren quickly looked over the group of goblins, reminding himself that the party was still under a curse and not to underestimate the foes before them. "Just" goblins could hurt them very much indeed, particularly if they got overconfident.

"Two small wargs in the back, with riders," he told the others. "They're waiting for something. Take out the others quickly, but be on your guard!" He himself kept his eyes on those two and whatever they might be waiting for, and readied himself to react to the wounds he hoped his party wouldn't take.

Bren is going to use the Ready action to use Channel Energy to heal the first person in the party who takes damage.

Last edited:
"Ballad of the Moonlit Edge"
"Penitent" by Suzanne Vega

Full lyrics:
Once I stood alone so proud
Held myself above the crowd
Now I am low on the ground.

From here I look around to see
What avenues belong to me
I can't tell what I've found.

Now what would You have me do
I ask you please?
I wait to hear.

The mother, and the matador,
The mystic, all were here before,
Like me, to stare You down.

You appear without a face,
Disappear, but leave your trace,
I feel your unseen frown.

Now what would you have me do
I ask you please?
I wait to hear
Your voice,
The word,
You say.
I wait to see your sign
Would I
Obey?

I look for you in heathered moor,
The desert, and the ocean floor
How low does one heart go.

Looking for your fingerprints
I find them in coincidence,
And make my faith to grow.

Forgive me all my blindnesses
My weakness and unkindnesses
As yet unbending still.

Struggling so hard to see
My fist against eternity
And will you break my will?

Now what would you have me do
I ask you please?
I wait to hear
Your voice,
The word
You say
I wait
To see your sign
Could I
Obey?

Brendoran prepared and shouted orders. Luna readied herself to cast her familiar yet unfamiliar spells while her Fey heart brought into her unasked-for feelings of revulsion and despisement upon seeing the goblins. Otiorin raised his bow and trained on one of the distant wargs. Nivirea stayed in the back watching the cave mouth and the evil coming. Bria, her shield raised, twirled her axe and mouthed a prayer. Oreleth watched for opportunity while that draconic presence always near the back of her mind watched with her, all the while she felt cold elven steel in her eager hand.

The steel was cold. Ever so cold. Cold and lonely. Especially now that her master had changed. Now, the Moonlit Edge was in the hand of a total stranger. Only the draconic thing resting inside Oreleth's mind and swimming so freely through her blood was familiar to her now.

How she remembered eons past, together with her love, in the hands of heroes, fighting evil together, fire and ice, dawn and dusk, sun and moon. How long ago it had been since her former master had fallen. And how long since her heart had been broken when the other half of everything she was had been so cruelly separated from her. Perhaps forever.

For long years, she had ached while resting upon the hip of only one being - Otiorin Taletreader. The rogue/sorcerer. The "twin-blood." The outcast with the bloodlines of dragons, humans, and Gray Elves inside of him. She felt, rightly, that this fellow was her best hope with reuniting with the only other creature who mattered in all of Sharseya. Nay, in all the universe.

The Sunfire Blade.

How she longed for him. Now, here in this strange realm where curses danced like ill winds blown by a pale hand, all against the Wayward Wanderers. Nothing felt right. Nothing was right. Where would this person that Otiorin had traded places with take her? What would she make her do? As she had in the past, she turned to the spirit resting inside the draconic blood. In her darkest of despairs and deepest of living nightmares, that being had been her only solace. This was true even now.

That courageous creature had always given her hope. "O shivering star," it had said to her, "thy spirit - kept pure and strong - is thine single, shining hope! For if thou fallest into shadow and wilt into darkness, how wilt thou knowest thy Sunfire Blade upon thine reunification?"

This had brought the Moonlit Edge something to focus on. Otiorin the Silver-blooded would make the rest happen.

Or so yesterday's tale could have been told.

Now there were goblins threatening. Goblins! The mortal enemies of all elf and faerie-kind. She and her male mate were made to end such foes. Here in the Red Cave, the Moonlit Edge and the draconic presence knew full well the Wayward Wanderers' situation, but still they kept their silence. For the Moonlit Edge and Sunfire Blade had no voices with which to speak. Only the dragon inside Oreleth had that.

Now the goblins were on the move. "Them trespassers wants tha treasure!" one yelled.

"If we don't deliver it, we is goners!!" shrieked another.

"Jus' get it outta here an' get the others! Then we'll really outnummer 'em!" a third ordered. The fell nasties all moved and attacked toward that purpose. In moments, the Wayward Wanderers found themselves in a ferocious battle with the little devils. The two warg riders hauled paws down the tunnel in an attempt to make it past the Wanderers. With shrill screams, cruel cries, and swinging weapons, the six goblins did their best to cover the warg riders. One did not need above-goblin wisdom to know what might happen if the riders made it past them and returned with more of their nasty brethren.

In Oreleth's hand, the Moonlit Edge just silently, sadly glowed her icy radiance and prepared to bite and sting.

But... what was this?!

As the goblins and Wayward Wanderers clashed and the warg riders tried to make their way past... the Moonlit Edge felt something familiar! A great fire in the coldest place in her heart!

* * *​

Running with hot breath and cursing grunts, the warg riders concentrated on running and defending their lives and treasure. But then the Wayward Wanderers saw two bursts of great light and energy flare out, one crackling cold and white in Oreleth's hand, the other blazing hot and orange from the pack of the lead warg rider. "Yow!" the rider cried as he slapped the bag, putting the smoky little fire out.

All of the Wayward Wanderers saw this but it was only Otiorin, despite his true elven form, or perhaps because of it, that felt two cries ring out inside the tunnel! One female and familiar. One male and unknown. Both together as one! There was only one answer to this riddle.

Those lights began to fade as the warg riders tried to race past...

"Goblins" by Jerry Goldsmith for the Legend Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1986)

The Gully Gulch Goblins snarled and cursed, their long ears twitching and their chaotic eyes blazing. The tunnel filled with their cackles and cries. Mischief was in every goblin's bones, but selfishness was in their very marrow. They raced forth at you, their cruel weapons high as they chanted...

"Fight fer our treasure!
Sweet as molasses!
An' so's da boss don't kick
our skinny, green asses!
CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!"

The first screaming goblin tore down upon Luna. Luna saw the dogslicer in his hand - a wicked style of short sword with holes with holes drilled into it to reduce its weight. The little devil ran up slicing and hacking at Luna. "Flank her!" he screamed. "She cannot see in two places at once!"

"Ugly nymph-thingy! Today ya meet yer doom!" Another goblin, this one armed with shield and pick, came swinging at her. They harassed Luna from opposite sides.

"Oooh, what haf we heeere?" grinned the third, his hand axe noisily clanging against his shield. He snapped at Oreleth. "A half-elf? I'll slice ya down to my size, ya filthy wretch!"

The fourth ran all out. He swung viscous-looking spiked chains as he ran into melee with Paladin Bria, Bren, and Otiorin. "Big uglies! Feel tha sting of my poison!" he screamed.

The fifth and sixth, armed with long bow and crossbow, hustled forward and took. "Kill dat smart-looking one!" "I call dibs on 'er wiggly fingers!" "No, dey're mine!" they argued. With irritating accuracy, they both loosed their little shafts at Nivirea the Wizard! The crossbow bolt struck Nivirea lightly in her left arm. However, some unseen force seemed to dull the bolt's point a little and Nivirea found herself less harmed as she should have been.

The crossbow bolt strikes Nivrea for 2 Hit Points of damage. Brendoran's Aura of Protection has decreased the damage of this attack by 1 Hit Point (from 3 down to 2).

Brendoran the Healer, ready and watching for just such an event, went into action, calling upon powers he had seen Bria use to great ends. Brendoran channeled his energy, weaving his beautiful magic while shouting, "Auri'elu alai ris!"" A simple light of sunshine cascaded upon Nivirea's arm, healing the wound instantly. Bren discovered that calling upon this bright, holy magic was as effortless as it was fulfilling. Like horse-riding, it was as if he had done it all his life.

Then the Gully Gulch Goblin with the longbow fired upon Nivirea. He scored too, this time against her right torso, biting deeper. "Ya haaa! Take dat, witch!!"

Nivirea is struck again for 4 Hit Points of damage (again 1 less thanks to Bren's Aura).

The goblin warg riders, using the chaos created by their cohorts, used this opportunity to race as quickly as they could! They sped down the tunnel and towards safety. The Wayward Wanderers had but moments to act if they were going to stop them from summoning more of their kind!

Otiorin Taletreader

The moment of connection ran through Otiorin's soul like wildfire and glacial ice. The two seperated and now become one.
"The wargs,", he called out, "Don't let them escape, lest they bring reinforcements!"
With a preternatural swiftness that defied the eyes of any observers, he raised his bow and loosed an arrow then nocked another and launched it as well. The two shafts whipped out like lightning, their elegantly crafted heads seeking the hot flesh of the rangy mutts the goblins rode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back