• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy cast my shadows on the fires of war | Dragon Riders

Are the various 'wings' going to be treated as warrior lodges where they look for candidates and recruit from the ranks or are people assigned to wings where they fit most?

Are the various 'wings' going to be treated as warrior lodges where they look for candidates and recruit from the ranks or are people assigned to wings where they fit most?

A mixture of both! New Svennir are trained collectively by each wing for a time until their affinity is apparent, at which point they will then be assigned to the wing they are most compatible with. From then on, recruits will share lodging with and receive further training from their respective wing, until they are ready to be considered Drengnir.

Is there any magical aspect to the bond?

Somewhat! Dragons, by their nature, have magic inherent to them already, though it's more of an ambient effect, something comes to them like breathing. Over the years, these energies end up being soaked up by their riders, to the point they can potentially begin to cast their own magic, though for most this takes the form of little cantrips—spells that can be used in a pinch. True mages, on the other hand, are extremely rare within the Vorðnir—for that, one is better off looking toward the völva (seeress), masters of seiðr magic who wandered between towns.

Last edited:
Define Species on the character sheet. Can we be dwarves? And if so, will we be traditional norse dwarves where the only thing that's confirmed is that they're extremely ugly and amazing craftsmen and enchanters?

Define Species on the character sheet. Can we be dwarves? And if so, will we be traditional norse dwarves where the only thing that's confirmed is that they're extremely ugly and amazing craftsmen and enchanters?

Species more or less means race in this context! (I should probably update that so it's not confusing.) But yes, dwarves are a playable race, alongside elves and humans! Not many dwarf riders, I should warn in advance, since most of them dislike being off the ground, plus they've got a bit of a vendetta against dragons (particularly wyrms/knuckers who burrow through their mines and rob them of their precious metals), but they are exceptional craftsmen for sure, with much of the Vorðnir's armory made by their hands.

And what of the gods that are supposed to survive ragnarok and the einherjar?
I do not mean to mini-mod, but when I once-overed the intro to the thread as I am filling out my sheet, I am goin to quote the interest check in an attempt to help;
"In the absence of the gods, however, new defenders would be needed, and so arose the Vorðnir—the guardians of Yggdrasil, noble warriors to the last breath, the last bastion standing against the armies of chaos-" this tells me there are no Gods, but I could be wrong with Drekasal having something else in mind.

Is there an oc or chat thread, or if not will there be one? Do you intend to use discord?

I just spent an hour+ for pictures alone xP

Is there an oc or chat thread, or if not will there be one? Do you intend to use discord?

I just spent an hour+ for pictures alone xP

There is no OOC/Chat thread as of yet, but I do intend to use Discord for that purpose! I already have a server somewhat set up and ready to go, I just have to do some more finalizations before I make it public. There's also the lore thread that I still need to take care of.

Godspeed to you.

There is no OOC/Chat thread as of yet, but I do intend to use Discord for that purpose! I already have a server somewhat set up and ready to go, I just have to do some more finalizations before I make it public. There's also the lore thread that I still need to take care of.

Godspeed to you.
it says right here on rule 4, my bad 😅
"Once all characters have been chosen, I will put together a Discord to serve as our OOC channel, as I feel discussion will be a lot easier there. This will also be where we will do our plotting, headcanons and character connections."

And what of the gods that are supposed to survive ragnarok and the einherjar?

Confirming what L.Amour said, the old gods in this universe are, as far as the Realms are concerned, fundamentally extinct, with most of them having been killed in Ragnarok, and the few survivors fading into obscurity. The same applies to the einherjar, who have always been stated to be doomed to fall along with their leader Odin on the battlefield.

Simply put, there are no higher powers to protect the worlds after Ragnarok—it is in the hands of the survivors to do so now, hence leading to the formation of the Vorðnir. I'll try and explain this a bit more in detail once I have the lore thread up!

UPDATE
Alright, so we're about three days into this (I think!), and honestly I cannot thank you all enough for the interest and support up to this point! Those who have submitted characters already, I'm really enjoying what I see so far, even those still in WIP. Fantastic work, everyone!

All this said, here's a quick few updates just so that everyone is in the loop on what's going on!
  • At this point in time, the Formaðr position, as well as two slots for Foringnir still remain open. The Hofðingi position is going to bad wolf bad wolf for their character Vígdís, who I feel will be an excellent fit for the role. One slot for Foringnir has been reserved for cherry lips cherry lips , and I know Abyss Abyss and Chimeric Chimeric that you have drafts pending for possible consideration for a slot as well, which I will try and go over soon!
  • I am still hammering away at the Lore thread, but the OOC Discord server is up and running for the most part. If you like, I can go ahead and share the link, unless you all would still prefer to wait until we have our cast ready.
Thank you all again so much for your patience, and I am very excited to get this started soon!

Last edited:
I’m going to try and get at least half my sheet up tonight/tomorrow because I’ll be pretty busy this weekend but I’ll do my best!

Super interested, gonna go read through the CS and get to work on a character!

Drekasal Drekasal would you mind if I created a Drengnir/Svennir (undecided yet) that is a bit more of a scout/spy type? Although that might better suit someone who is a Einnsál, but I just wanted to yeet it past ya first :]

Drekasal Drekasal would you mind if I created a Drengnir/Svennir (undecided yet) that is a bit more of a scout/spy type? Although that might better suit someone who is a Einnsál, but I just wanted to yeet it past ya first :]

All three would be good fits, if I'm being honest. I say get a solid draft going first so that you can feel it out, and pick the rank you feel is best suited for them! If you're having trouble, I can try and help out in DMs!

Consider my interest piqued.

I have been away from here for quite some time and would love to get back into it. I've done a few 1×1s with a rl friend, but a group rp has more potential for interaction. I am more casual about my rping and don't particularly care about post length. Quality is more important than quantity. You don't have to write like Tolkien who can describe a table for five pages. Gets a bit tedious and tends to lose interest. I focus more on storyline than romance. Dragons are a huge interest of mine and I'll take any opportunity to play a Dragon and Rider pair

Alright, so we're about three days into this (I think!), and honestly I cannot thank you all enough for the interest and support up to this point! Those who have submitted characters already, I'm really enjoying what I see so far, even those still in WIP. Fantastic work, everyone!

All this said, here's a quick few updates just so that everyone is in the loop on what's going on!
  • At this point in time, the Formaðr position, as well as two slots for Foringnir still remain open. The Hofðingi position is going to bad wolf bad wolf for their character Vígdís, who I feel will be an excellent fit for the role. One slot for Foringnir has been reserved for cherry lips cherry lips , and I know Abyss Abyss and Chimeric Chimeric that you have drafts pending for possible consideration for a slot as well, which I will try and go over soon!
  • I am still hammering away at the Lore thread, but the OOC Discord server is up and running for the most part. If you like, I can go ahead and share the link, unless you all would still prefer to wait until we have our cast ready.
Thank you all again so much for your patience, and I am very excited to get this started soon!
Is the discord link available?

An Update
A LONG OVERDUE UPDATE...

First off, I deeply apologize for the dead silence. I'd intended to finish up things and have the roleplay ready a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, reality had other plans considering it's nearly the end of the semester for me. I've been pretty much sideswiped with school work, registration issues, and job hunting, and I haven't really had a minute to breathe/sit down and get back to work on this.

That does not mean I'm giving up on this, however. I still want to get this thing off the ground, but it's taking way longer than I wanted to, and I again apologize for that. I honestly don't know when I'll get a chance to smooth things out and get this show on the road, but I don't intend on forgetting about this anytime soon. The semester officially ends in the next few weeks, and maybe then I'll finally get the free moment I'm looking for.

Until then, thank you all again so much for your patience, and I'm so sorry for making you all wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back