Advice/Help Can staff wielding martial artist defeat an enemy in full plate?

Nadia

Hi everyone, stupid question coming up!

I'm in a roleplay where my girl is a martial artist and uses a staff. The GM is about to throw some plate wearing Knights at me. Could a staff hope to defeat a knight?

Thanks very much

Is this a free form roleplay, or is there some manner of mechanical or dice system to it?
Just roll one dice, higher is better. It's more about me trying to describe what I'm trying to achieve. I could just roll the dice but I prefer a more narrative approach.

Is this a magical fantasy setting? I can see a martial artist easily defeating a knight in full plate, full plate is super heavy. I don't care how tough you are eventually you're going to get tired and slow down. Obviously a different story if the knights are wearing super light magical armor, then it becomes more challenging.

Your staff has the advantage of reach, I'd probably try a bunch of tripping maneuvers to keep them off balance and attack the joints and neck areas. Eventually you're going to land some hits and maybe even break a few straps holding the knights shit together. Lol. Hell, you might even be able knock off their helmets and then club them in the skull xD

Edit: knees, go for the knees. With all the weight of the armor being supported there all you gotta do is flank them and get a good direct hit and buckle their knees. They should come crashing down, hopefully xD

Last edited:
Yes it's magical but in my head it's normal plate armour. That's great advice thanks, I'll batter them to death and dance around them. I imagine lots of jabs to the helmet wouldn't be too comfortable for the Knight?!
X

Yes it's magical but in my head it's normal plate armour. That's great advice thanks, I'll batter them to death and dance around them. I imagine lots of jabs to the helmet wouldn't be too comfortable for the Knight?!
X
You got this! Now I'm super curious and I hope you let us know the outcome 🙂

Yumi paces around her armoured opponent keeping him at a distance, her loose garments billowing and her eyes keen "The coiled snake defeats the elephant, swift precision bests laboured strength".

How do the words of wisdom sound? Can you come up with a better phrase?

Full-Plate is not "very heavy." It weighs a comparable amount to what normal soldiers in the modern day carry with them on whatever mission they're brought along to do. Full-plate is also not something which is cumbersome, unlike what people like to believe, meaning that a knight in full-plate can do pretty much everything a regular person could, with some moderately different body-movements. The reason for this is simple, the entire body supports the full-plate, meaning it is less taxing on the body to wear it.

When it comes to knights who've spent their time training in it, and considering how long battles between knights could take, especially since it would rely mostly on blunt force trauma in the end, a weapon like a staff does not fare specifically well from an objective standpoint.

Your best hopes would be to focus on the joints, specifically the armpit. Other than that, if we disregard magic, you are faced with a conundrum of sizable proportions, unless you drag the fight out extensively. Whilst I did say full-plate is not "very heavy" and isn't "taxing" on the body, it is more so than someone who is not wearing it.

Yumi paces around her armoured opponent keeping him at a distance, her loose garments billowing and her eyes keen "The coiled snake defeats the elephant, swift precision bests laboured strength".

How do the words of wisdom sound? Can you come up with a better phrase?
I'm actually a horrendous writer, hopefully someone else can answer that question xD

I forgot to mention she can summon fire to her fists and feet but I like to finish opponents with these attacks. Maybe I could eventually cook them in their armour lol

Simply put, you need to be extensively better trained than a knight to defeat them, if we're using battlefield techniques.

I forgot to mention she can summon fire to her fists and feet but I like to finish opponents with these attacks. Maybe I could eventually cook them in their armour lol

Your best bet, realistically, would be to utilize your fire to defeat them. Yes.

Absolutely take advantage of your range if you're a wizard. That's kind of the name of the game for that class unless you're something like a battle mage that uses magic to boost close range combat techniques. Also another thing to note is that a staff is still a blunt weapon and fully capable of incapacitating knights fighting in armor. It's why clubs, axes, and other weapons besides swords were utilized since armor didn't protect against blunt force. If you rolled bad beating them to death is always an option, though not your best option.

Just roll one dice, higher is better. It's more about me trying to describe what I'm trying to achieve. I could just roll the dice but I prefer a more narrative approach.

I think then one of two options might work:
1. Aim for exposed parts. Even full plate armor still has some openings, just by nature of not being a completely sealed suit.

2. Plate armor might reduce some of the impact, might in the end of the day, blunt force can still make the armor itself hit the wielder, depending on how loose-fitting it is. You probably can't bend or pierce the armor, but you certainly can use a blunt force impact to do some damage.

I think then one of two options might work:
1. Aim for exposed parts. Even full plate armor still has some openings, just by nature of not being a completely sealed suit.

2. Plate armor might reduce some of the impact, might in the end of the day, blunt force can still make the armor itself hit the wielder, depending on how loose-fitting it is. You probably can't bend or pierce the armor, but you certainly can use a blunt force impact to do some damage.

She would need the blunt force of a warhammer to adequately affect the wearer, something which a staff does not have under normal circumstances. Normal, in this case, being unaugmented strength. Full-plate isn't the apex of melee combat for nothing.

She would need the blunt force of a warhammer to adequately affect the wearer, something which a staff does not have under normal circumstances. Normal, in this case, being unaugmented strength. Full-plate isn't the apex of melee combat for nothing.

Pressure, pressure. Distributed over a smaller area less strength is needed for the same impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back