• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Califresco PD: Magical Crimes Unit

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
"Sans Arcanists uses the latest in bonework technology in order to improve the standard of living for soldiers, survivors, and disadvantaged people the world over. Using a proprietary neural interface offering the best reaction time and strongest security, Sans Arcanists augmentations don't just give you your life back - they make it better.

Sans Arcanists - Because loss doesn't have to be the end."

- Billboard, Downtown Califresco.

Califresco was founded a little over two centuries ago, straddling the Nightvale Sound at the edge of the Eastern Sea. Established by a Magus named Malachi Gardiner - who styled himself as King Gardiner - it was inducted into the Federal Union of Imeria within ten years when Malachi's null-born son Lawrence sold his father out to the Ordinary Rule Party which then controlled the nascent FUI.

Young Lawrence was fascinated by technology and the promise it held for the ordinary man. While his police force - at the time not Federally subsidized - were notably hard on Magus residents, he still invited some pioneers in the fields of Manatech and engineering into the city.

Shortly before Lawrence's death by heart failure (he always stubbornly resisted offers of magical healing), Union Spire was completed and began powering the city. Governorship passed, by democratic vote, to Micheala Walsh. The Gardiners have not since held office, but the family is still a vital part of the city, having invested in many local businesses and donating to public works projects.

The city has still gone from strength to strength. It is currently the beating heart of the augmentation business, and the old munitions factories remain in business in spite of a trend for artisan-crafted manatechnical firearms. However, the docklands have fallen into disrepair and criminality - the shipwrights are silent and empty, the steel mills under rust, warehouses fallow. Slums spread around the edges of the city, and most neighbourhoods under the cloud level are considered little better.

You are in the Magical Crimes Unit, and you're not liked. The one department in CPD with jurisdiction over Magi in a way that can threaten executives, you suffer from funding cuts, obstructive bureaucracy, and threats from above. You've been assigned here as punishment or out of misguided zeal Now all that remains to be seen is if you can make it work for you.

Six players - five detectives with one being de-facto department head, one player as consulting Magus (making the tech, analysis, and hacker rolled into one depending on your choice).

Can run with a minimum of four players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw hell, I can't resist the siren song of magitech. Count me in as the consulting Magus. ( :) )

I never asked for this... However I was asked to partake in an earlier build of this game and enjoyed it. If time commitments did not preclude it, I would ask to play again.

Hey, I'm not familiar with th system, if it isn't a homebrew system course, but I'll gladly join up!

DOCKYARDS BOXER WHO STICKS HIS NOSE WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG BUT WON'T GO DOWN

Kincaid was supposed to go down in the third round, just like Boss Grunker said. It wasn't anything personal, the chop shop boys were just getting sick of seeing some two-bit flesh and blood nobody get top billing over their latest back alley masterpiece. It was a solid plan, Kincaid was on board, everyone stood to make a killing and he had a cushy job lined up as an enforcer after it all went down, so even he was a bit surprised when he put Johnny Lightning down for the count at the bottom of the second. He just couldn't disappoint that pretty thing in the second row with the starry-eyed stare. 'Course he'd never tell anyone that. It wasn't her fault he'd spend the next hour in a mangled heap bleeding out onto the cobblestones of the alley behind the ring. Apparently she even called the sawbones for him, so he felt like he did the right thing in giving her a good show.

The attending in the emergency room was on his third night on the job and his shock that this poor sod was still alive turned to blind panic when he realized none of his magic was having any effect at all. Ten minutes later they managed to round up an old fashioned surgical team and after three hours successfully stabilized him. Kincaid wasn't the sharpest, but even he could put two and two together and realize this must be why all those fancy magitechnical gizmos in his opponents never seemed to work quite right while he was in the ring.

The detectives arrived the next morning with an offer: Go undercover in the Dockyards gangs, their man would vouch for him to one of Grunker's rivals, and he could have a position on the force when he was done. This sounded like a fantastically stupid idea to Kincaid, but his alternative was standing in the menial labour queues at the dockside at 4 AM in the hopes of landing work once a week. This gig went reasonably well for a few years until he started asking questions he wasn't supposed to. He could have sworn he saw that girl again, but when he tried to follow her he lost her in what ought to have been an abandoned warehouse with some fascinating manifests that were clearly intended to have been destroyed before the boxes shipped out. The parts going to the back alley chop shops weren't cut out of some poor uptown sod lying in a gutter, but were actually unlicensed experimental models being shipped down illegally for 'field trials'. He was caught snooping and ended up in a nasty running firefight with nothing but two gunshot wounds and two bodies to show for it. He was pulled out immediately, and told in no uncertain terms that he was not to repeat a word of what he had found to anyone for fear of disrupting an ongoing secret investigation. After his recovery he was shipped off for training and 'promoted' to the MCU, where his 'unique talents' could be best put to use.

Kincaid figures this isn't such a bad rap. Sure, the paperwork is awful, but it sounds like he might get to punch some asshole too-big-for-his-britches magus in the face and that more than makes up for the funny looks in the break room.

Sullivanity said:
Just to make sure I understand, the consulting magus would be the tech expert?
Functionally, yes; a lot of tech operates on Magic, and it wouldn't be crazy for a Magus specializing in such an area to have a handle on more mundane tech, too.

Besides which, you can always request someone from another department take a look at evidence you don't grok.

Any Magus in the police probably has a corporate background.

I... actually might have to drop out. For the life of me I can't think of anything good to write as a backstory for a Magus character, or any character, really. I think I'm too out of practice since I stopped trying when I realized nine times out of ten, it wouldn't matter much.

The best i've been able to come up with is a statistician who uses numerology instead of mathematics to calculate odds and predict the future.

The rest of us have no access to magic, as I understand it, but we're allowed to have mutations? I see some stuff about magic resistance in the created races bit, but don't know who can take that sort of thing or how much it costs.

JayTee said:
I... actually might have to drop out. For the life of me I can't think of anything good to write as a backstory for a Magus character, or any character, really. I think I'm too out of practice since I stopped trying when I realized nine times out of ten, it wouldn't matter much.
Did you try to write one last time I pitched this? They might still be around.

If you've got a concept, that's fine - I know how often games die so you needn't trouble yourself with writing up more than a couple of lines until this looks ready to get off the ground.

@Sullivanity Although on reflection a regular techy wouldn't hurt, once the other bases are covered.

@Random Word Basically. No cost for taking Mutations - you only get one, and you only have to negotiate with me. Kincaid having Magic Immunity is perfectly fine.

Grey said:
Did you try to write one last time I pitched this? They might still be around.

If you've got a concept, that's fine - I know how often games die so you needn't trouble yourself with writing up more than a couple of lines until this looks ready to get off the ground.
I think so. If memory serves he was an ex-con who was sent to prison because something murdered his friend. However as there was no murder weapon and no evidence linking him to the crime, he was eventually let out on parole. He now has a job at a help desk where he tries to keep his head down and avoid attention.

See, that works. You can worry about fleshing 'em out more once we're sure no one here is going to let me down.

Fair enough. I suppose the magic aspect of it all is that he actually did murder his friend, but it was an accident when he unwillingly used his previously unknown abilities.

JayTee said:
Fair enough. I suppose the magic aspect of it all is that he actually did murder his friend, but it was an accident when he unwillingly used his previously unknown abilities.
Any idea which abilities those are?

The Necromancy chain seems the most appropriate. Guy murders his friend because he didn't know he was talented in that sphere, and may or may not have the ghost of his friend haunting him, looking for vengeance.

I like it. Thing is, they'd be able to pick that up after arresting him. Could be the paperwork went missing, a date was skipped, and they missed it. But maybe while he's locked up they eventually find out and/or he's allowed to do an online course in Mantech or forensic engineering.

Basically, it's really useful for the consulting Magus to have some relevant education beyond mere talent.

The other idea I had was the statistician who uses Fate magic to twist the odds as often as he predicts them. It doesn't have that dramatic twist, but for game purposes it serves both roles as an educated fellow and a magician.

Ack-

Sorry about that bud,was a tad tied up with a few essays, my bad, I shall sit in the shame corner in repentance.

Orikanyo said:
Ack-
Sorry about that bud,was a tad tied up with a few essays, my bad, I shall sit in the shame corner in repentance.
I understand. Lemme see a concept and you're still good.

In that case, I'm thinking of either a magitech savant who has really bad social skills, or a magus who was a high ranking member of a corporation that dabbled in illegal activities, but agreed to join the Magical Crimes Unit as a consultant for some of the charges to be released. He is having a very difficult time trying to feed his expensive habits on a cop's payroll, and deal with people without the assumption he has a higher social status

Users who are viewing this thread

Back