• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Battle for Kazragun

Before either of them can add another word, the buzzing of an arrow interrupts the talking. The projectile hits the goblin in the chest, sending him to the ground as Gordib lowers his bow. "Enough of this non-sense - we know what we're looking for." As the goblin still lives, the man grabs for his knife.

Renna jumps when the arrow fires out, but doesn't stop the man with the knife other than to say, "Make it clean and quick. No need for him to suffer." Some are surprised at just how cold she can be, but just because she is a paladin doesn't mean she is nice to those who are evil. For an innocent, she would storm the very gates of hell, but she will not shed a tear for a goblin.

West:

As the archer does as Renna says, Io musters both of them warily - only when the goblin is dead does she move herself, slowly bending over to pick something up. After a moment of hesitation, she hands it over to the paladin; the stone used by the goblin to heal himself, roughly fist-sized and made of grey granite. It is covered by a number of symbols, most of them unfamiliar - probably describing syllables of the goblintongue. One, however, might remind her of something else - a two-headed eagle, holding a key in its both beaks. "Nothing else of worth", is Gordibs assessment as he rejoins both of you.

Group:

After carefully looking around, Wrens look meets the dead body in the middle of the room. Given the pointy ears, the man seems to have been an elf. His skin is covered with dozens of runes, one for each symbol on the walls (or at least, pretty much - his clothing probably covers the rest of them). That includes the new, bloody ones - deeply cut into his body, the wounds forming the symbols were likely the reason of his death. For Baird, there is no magical aura to be seen anymore. Veskassdak could probably guess that he has been dead for a while, though not longer than one or two weeks. He still smells deadish, though this place seems to negate that to some degree. On his belt, you can see a key ring - if you want, you could try to use one of those. As you muster the man, there is another movement in the auras - this time, those around the Harbinger's picture seem to change slightly, as if a distant event would have caused an negligible reaction.

Baird watches as Wren looks around for a key until she notices the elf on the ground. However, as she musters him, the Harbinger's picture starts to move. "Wren, I would advise you be highly careful as the harbinger's picture just moved." It was curious though, The chest was tied to the Kraken, the elf to the Harbinger. What was tied to the Huntress, the Dancer, and the Dragon? Baird then began to scan the room in an attempt to pinpoint and answer this question.

@Silanon @Dicer @Sherwood @Psychie

With the goblin now dealt with, Renna briefly looks over the object recovered from the body, turning it over in her hands to look it over on all sides.  "Hm.  Not sure what this is, but lets keep a hold of it, just in case.  In any case, lets move out.  We cover more ground by walking than talking, as I always say."

Wren shudders, as if struck by a sudden chill.  "This room is giving me the willies.  There is a key ring on the body; one of the keys on it might be what opens the chest.  But, I'm starting to wonder if doing so would be a bad idea.  We are obviously being watched by some hostile magic, and every time I head near that chest makes the pictures on the wall move and look at us.  I'd hate to open up the chest and discover that it summons some demon to kill the blasphemers that would dare disturb it.  Baird, Veskassdak, what do you guys suggest we do?"

West:

Following the path through the mud, the all-present, dead trees seem to grow bigger - until at some point, someone started to chop them off. About 1000 feet away, you can see some kind of a small island, a wooden palisade protecting it from the dark, filthy water around. A giant tree is inside the fence line, overtowering everything in the near surrounding. There is a cold feeling in your chest as you get closer - this is certainly no place of Iomedae. Io seems to feel similarly, as she raises her hand in an attempt to stop you. For once, she breaks her silence. "This is a place of my people. Full of stories that only we understand, connected to beings that are easily upset. Let me take a look if everything is in order, and then lock it until a new guardian is found." Gordib spits out in response. "I don't fear your little wood sprites - the other scouts might be in there. Just tell us how to get over, and we'll look for them ourselves."

Group:

As Baird watches the magical auras once more, he notices aditional behaviour of the pictures: The Warden seems to watch everything, including the dead elf - as you touch the wall, it reacts just as much as when you make a step. That said, its reactions are minor - not as strong as the one of the Harbinger or even the kraken, as if the Warden was less interested in any specific detail around. The Dancer seems to react whenever one of you speaks, not caring too much about anything dead or lifeless in the chamber. The only being not reacting at all seems to be the dragon - it's almost as if the bloody runes would stop him from noticing anything that happens within this chamber.

As Wren speaks, she can feel the look at her getting stronger - the kraken seems to warily muster her, as if solving a riddle only he understands.

"Wren, I think the Dragon might be our option here as what to do. Unfortunately it is being blocked by blood runes preventing it from doing anything from here; that might be the best course of action to take before we open the chest. Although I don't think we should open it in the first place."

@Sherwood @Dicer @Psychie @Silanon

Last edited by a moderator:
"While I am interested in seeing what is in that chest, I certainly don't want to set of some horrifying monster." Wren takes a closer look at the Dragon, wondering why she didn't pay more attention to her studies. "I feel like we are missing something important. A secret door, perhaps?" 

OOC I will spend a few moments to search for a concealed door or floor space.

"A secret door perhaps or maybe it uses the same magic as the other images, except whatever sealed the dragon off doesn't want it interfering for some reason." Baird begins to examine the dragon further or at least figure out how to remove the blood runes.

((OOC, roll on the dragon/arcana))

There is no concealed door or anything similar to be found - however, as Wren looks around, her right foot hits something on the floor, hidden in the ankle-deep mud. Closer examination shows some kind of ceremonial dagger, made out of a bone of some sort. There are a few symbols on there, you don't know any of them. One is familiar to Veskasssdak, though: On the knife's butt, there is a two-headed eagle, holding a key. The same symbol can be seen on the meeting place of your kind, where all tribes of your people gather to discuss things of great importance. A place of peace within the swamps, holy in its own right - the symbol's exact meaning, however, is unknown to him, as it's part of those things only taught to the shamans of the Litayrkek.

As Baird musters the runes, one thing seems to be quite clear - these are spells woven by a powerful spellcaster, and they won't just be ended by washing away the blood. The only things in the chamber related to the ritual that took place here seem to be the dagger in Wren's hand, and the dead body. As the sorcerer gets closer to the dragon's picture, the other entities seem to react to that. Both the Harbinger and the kraken seem to watch him warily, as if they'd be ready to interfere if he makes a move they don't approve - cold looks seem to rest o his back, waiting for a misstep. The Warden only reacts so much - realizing him getting closer without a reaction. Meanwhile, the Dancer's demonic eyes seem to rest on Baird as well, filled with curiosity - at least, that's how it feels like, as it might just be the torch's light reflecting in the ambers forming them. Her attention feels less hostile, at least - though her appearance on the picture might poste the question whether that is a good sign or not.

Veskassdak perked up when he saw Wren remove and clean the dagger of mud. He was familiar with one of the symbols on it. Even from the distance he was from it, it was as clear to him as if he were holding it.
"Sholeinah! Isss eagle two headsss key clutch knife on," he began with a strange subdued excitement in his raspy voice pointing to the dagger. "Isss sssymbol my kind holy. Peassse mean. Leassst ssso think. Daraness know. Ssshaman ssshe. Not learn, me not ssshaman. Isss sssymbol sssafe on tribe gathering plassse to talk thingsss important tribe and no fight."

Renna does her best to look about carefully, and finally says, "If I know a bunch of traveling scouts the way that I think I do, they will have been drawn to that like moths to a flame.  Also, with the goblins and their ilk running rampant about the area, it is likely that the spirits of the wood have fled to a safe location until the despoilers move on.  Let us advance to see what is there.  Perhaps we'll come across the scouts we are searching for, or at least some signs that they were here and we are on their trail."

Something about the place gives her a feeling of unease.  Before moving out, the paladin uses her divine power of Detect Evil on the way ahead of her.

The elf musters the paladin of Iomedae for a moment before answering. "These aren't simple spirits like you might imagine. And neither are they here, at least in the way you might think. It's a long story, one that certainly would overstrain your patience." That's all she says, at least for now. As she silently leads you closer, Renna can feel a glimpse of evil magic, surrounding the island - however, its core seems to be somewhere underneath, out of reach of your holy senses. There is no bridge to cross the gap - but as Io's feet meet the muddy water, an ancient, dead-looking root of the tree seems to raise itself just enough to reach the palisade on the other side dry-footedly. She quickly climbs on top of it, gesturing both of you to follow. If you do so, you'll see the dead bodies of two goblins on the inside, some dead ratfolk on a raft drifting by - no sign of the scouts themselves yet, but in the tree, there is a dark opening, some torch-like light flickering in the depth's shadows.

Those inside of the tree might hear a creaking noise as the tree welcomes the support - rather loud, though not too unusual of a sound. The elf herself can not be heard - if the other two cross, someone not too involved in investigations might notice.

Wren looks about, trying to figure out the next step to take.

Renna looks to Io. "Then I shall pause here until you give the go-ahead."  She then composes herself for a wait, placing her hands on her hips until the elf sends out a signal.

Baird becomes painfully aware of every single image watching him as he approaches the image of the gold dragon, the only one not moving. With his back still turned, he speaks to the group, "I don't think I can unravel these runes, they look to be beyond my caliber of spell casting. What I can determine though is that every single image does not want us to undo these runes, perhaps they fear the dragon?"

Wren laughs.  "I'd fear a dragon, too!"  She looks about, then considers the keyring that was found on the body.  "I am thinking I will give these keys a try in the chest.  If they don't work, I say we should make our leave of here and get back to our original job of hunting the orcs."

Wren laughs.  "I'd fear a dragon, too!"  She looks about, then considers the keyring that was found on the body.  "I am thinking I will give these keys a try in the chest.  If they don't work, I say we should make our leave of here and get back to our original job of hunting the orcs."

Baird also laughs, Yeah I would be as well if there was the possibility that I might be related to this dragon, however go for it. Although I'm not sure how much of a help I'll be in these close quarters.

Outside:

As Renna decides to wait, a surprised look reaches Io's face for the blink of an eye. She musters both humans, before speaking once again. "If you're willing to wait, you might be patient enough to come with me right away. Someone is downstairs, and I might need your help after all. Just one thing: If you hear voices - ignore them. They're only meant to be heard by the guardians. And don't try to force things to change down there because they seem wrong to you" - she speaks directly to the paladin - "things here have to work, one way or another. This magic is old, subtile, and likely older than your deity." If you accept, she'll lead you towards the tree's entrance, giving you the chance to see everything described in the previous post.

Inside:

Veskassdak is likely the one the least distracted by the surrounding pictures and the chest - thus, he'll notice voices upstairs, too quiet to understand the words. It is, however, clearly not the screeching of goblins or anything similar, but a more civilized form of conversation.

As Wren grabs the keyring, she can feel the looks of kraken, Harbinger and Warden on her - cold, watchful and slightly interested, respectively. There are five keys: One is made of iron, a rather plain design. The second is muddy and dirty, smelling like the swamps itself. The third is made of basalt, covered by a thin film of water - another one is made of silver, ornate and elegant. Lastly, there is a golden key. However, it is broken in half, and the second part is nowhere to be seen. Which one do you want to try first?

As the rogue attracts the other's attention, Baird can notice a slight movement on the Dancer's picture to his left. Watching him, curious. Then suddenly, there is a voice in his head, female, though not soft, but full of strength. "You're wrong in your assessment. Neither do I fear the being that you call a dragon, nor do I want him to be imprisoned any longer. He should be free once again, if only for a moment. Should be able to speak to those who dare to listen. The guardian is dead, but his runes still hold me back. Remove him, and the dragon shall speak."

Veskassdak heard mammal voices from up the stairs. "Sssomeone comesss," he announced. "Voisssesss hear I. Not ssscreechy big-head little green mammalsss voisssesss. Sssmarter onesss. Clossser comesss from up."

Renna looks surprised, but nods. "My patience is rewarded. I shall follow your lead. Must be sure to watch out targets; friendlies are nearby."

Outside:

As Renna decides to wait, a surprised look reaches Io's face for the blink of an eye. She musters both humans, before speaking once again. "If you're willing to wait, you might be patient enough to come with me right away. Someone is downstairs, and I might need your help after all. Just one thing: If you hear voices - ignore them. They're only meant to be heard by the guardians. And don't try to force things to change down there because they seem wrong to you" - she speaks directly to the paladin - "things here have to work, one way or another. This magic is old, subtile, and likely older than your deity." If you accept, she'll lead you towards the tree's entrance, giving you the chance to see everything described in the previous post.

Inside:

Veskassdak is likely the one the least distracted by the surrounding pictures and the chest - thus, he'll notice voices upstairs, too quiet to understand the words. It is, however, clearly not the screeching of goblins or anything similar, but a more civilized form of conversation.

As Wren grabs the keyring, she can feel the looks of kraken, Harbinger and Warden on her - cold, watchful and slightly interested, respectively. There are five keys: One is made of iron, a rather plain design. The second is muddy and dirty, smelling like the swamps itself. The third is made of basalt, covered by a thin film of water - another one is made of silver, ornate and elegant. Lastly, there is a golden key. However, it is broken in half, and the second part is nowhere to be seen. Which one do you want to try first?

As the rogue attracts the other's attention, Baird can notice a slight movement on the Dancer's picture to his left. Watching him, curious. Then suddenly, there is a voice in his head, female, though not soft, but full of strength. "You're wrong in your assessment. Neither do I fear the being that you call a dragon, nor do I want him to be imprisoned any longer. He should be free once again, if only for a moment. Should be able to speak to those who dare to listen. The guardian is dead, but his runes still hold me back. Remove him, and the dragon shall speak."

Baird shudders for a moment, but then quietly speaks to the Dancer in his head, "I understand, but theres only one problem, I have no idea how to remove these runes, they are beyond my capability. Other than that, what do you know about The Dragon?"

Io leads both the Renna and the human scout into the tree - just as the others, you can see rather steep stairs leading deeper into the ground. On the walls, there are various pictures, showing a golden dragon, kraken and various other mythical creatures fighting each other. There's water running down the wooden boarding, as to be expected in an underground place within the swamps - dead goblins and broken arrows indicate either traps or a previous fight. Downstairs, you can see the flickering of a torch in the distance. Other than that, everything apart from the small entry is pitch-dark, though the elf does not seem too concerned about that.

Wren might want to use either of the keys, or react to Veskassdak's warning - your choice. As for the lizardman, do you take any further action, like drawing your weapon, move up the stairs, or anything similar? Or do you wish to wait watchfully, awaiting whomever might or might not come down the stairs?

For Baird, the voice once again resounds in his ears. "A friend and a foe, bounded and free - the being that you call a dragon is many things at once, and never what you would expect." She seems to be willing to say more than that, but something seems to disturb her. She speaks hastily, her words slurred - despite that, the meaning seams crystal clear, as if it'd be a thought in the sorcerer's own mind. "The dead body - get him out of the chamber, and I will take care of the rest." He then can feel how the Dancer's presence seems to back off, leaving his thoughts in a hurry.

Only then does Baird feel the cold gaze of the Harbinger, and everyone in the surrounding, including Renna, can hear cold, decisive words in his or her mind: "He was sentenced by all of us. He shall not be freed till the end of time." A deep, dark voice, grim and relentless.

(OOC : If Wren wants to try one of the keys, and Veskassdak wants to prepare himself, you can do so before you hear the voice. The same holds for Renna as well, of course.)

Veskassdak turns towards the stairs and prepares for anyone or anything to come down. In such close quarters, he intends to rely on his bite and claws. If he needs to rage he will do so, but only if he needs to.
When he hears the cold, decisive words in his mind, "He was sentenced by all of us. He shall not be freed till the end of time," he reacts. His dorsal spines extend as a shiver runs down his spine.
"What ssspeaksss in head?" he shouts very loudly in panic. "Never more than voissse mine in head before! What intrudesss?! Leave head mine alone ssstrange voissse!"

Renna does her best to follow Io down the stairs without lighting a torch. If if gets too dark, even with the light coming down from above, she will back up enough to light a torch so she can see.

OOC Does she happen to hear the shout from below about the voice in the Lizard Man's head, or am I not far enough yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back