• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Battle for Kazragun

OOC Did I manage to recover the items from the chest before it slams shut, or are they still in there?

OOC: You manage to grab them before the chest closes - as long as you don't want to put them back, they're all yours.

Renna continues to remove the body unless someone makes a move to stop her. Looking down at the still figure, she murmurs, "Do not worry. Soon you will be resting under the Light once more, and free of this dark place."

Wren is just about to start examining the contents of the pouch when the bloody runes ignite and the chest closes in front of her. She lets out an involuntary 'Yip!' from getting startled and jumps backwards to a (hopefully) safe location. "What the devil?" Wren quickly looks around the room for signs of a trap about to go off.

There is no trap to be seen, at least not for Wren's eyes. Only the glowing runes, announcing that something is about to happen. Right when Renna manages to carry the elf out of the room, taking the first two steps on the stairs, you can hear a whizzing sound - then, all of the sudden, the runes vanish in a burst of flames. Baird can almost feel how some part of this room's magic gets torn apart by a powerful, fierce entity.

"I shall be free, cowards. Fight me, and taste defeat. Or try to run, no chains will ever hold me!"

A voice, as thunderous as if a single word could call storms upon everyone close enough to listen. It does not lack a response, though one of magical nature. Without forewarning, the ground underneath you seems to shake, as if an earthquake would let the world tremble. You do your best to keep balance, but the start is too sudden - Renna stumbles down the stairs before bumping into Gordib, sending both of them to the ground. While you do your best to get back onto your feet, further impressions hit your minds. The same thundering voice, calling you to fight, spill blood, till noone is left alive but you. Similar to the frenzy Veskassdak might be familiar with, though it comes from the outside, not from your own thoughts. You all manage to fight off the words, staying in control despite the raging sounds. Maybe Iomedae protects you, or whichever deity you worship. Or one of the enitites depictured in this chamber. Or maybe it's just your own inner strength. You cannot tell for certain. What you can tell is that there is a bursting sound somewhere over your heads, and that the other two down here are not as lucky as you are.

Io, the elf, is lying unconciously on the ground, hit by some invisible force, hands grabbing for the Dancer's picture. Gordib, on the other hand, is back on his feet, shaking his head as if trying to shake off the voices - without success. When you all notice the muddy water flowing down the stairs, you also notice the mad, fiery look in his eyes as he points his sword in your direction, blocking the only way to escape the chamber. It does not take a magician or shaman to know that he is not himself in this very moment - and that all he cares about right now is to spill blood in the name of whomever voice you heard in your minds.

Height of water: ankle-deep.
Initiative order:

13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
11 Renna
7 Wren

Veskassdak saw the mammal carrying the sword's face change. Normally it was difficult for him to read mammal faces, but the expression the mammal now wore was nearly universal. The mammal was in a mad rage. Veskassdak dove at the mammal to try and prevent him from attacking anyone.
Since the mammal was probably possessed, he would not do any more damage than absolutely necessary.
[Doing a grapple attack, CMB +5; CMD 16]

As the lizardman tries to grapple the man, he has to get past his sword first - which in itself is a dangerous undertaking. He moves quicker than you might have imagined, thrusting before your claws can grab him - burning pain hits you as the steel pierces through your natural armor, scoring a deep wound at the arm. Moreover, the hit reduces the strength of your assault, and considering the man's almost equal height, that is enough for him to avoid the grapple, shaking off your grip with surprising ease.

He then moves on to try and land another hit - but the point of his sword only scratches over the lizardman's skin as Veskassdak manages to avoid the blow this time around.

[grapple unsuccessful - only rolled a 5 for that. Veskassdak takes a total of staggering 18 damage from the hit.]

13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
--> 11 Baird
11 Renna
7 Wren

Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe is up with Baird.

Last edited:
Baird, seeing the sudden change in the other man, as well as Veskassdak rushing into him, decides to enforce his ally's defenses, ((Mage armor))

The sorcerer has no trouble casting the spell - he manages to block out the insane voice in his mind, calling protection upon his wounded ally. However, right before the magic can surround the lizardman, Baird can feel the presence of yet another being. Significantly weaker than the other entities he felt thus far, almost enfeebled, his voice weakly resounding in the sorcerer's mind alone. "The light... will prevail..." Then, something changes. Somehow, your magic gets twisted, as if someone would strengthen it in a way beyond your comprehension - it does feel familiar in some sense, though, as if at least your understanding of magics was similar to his.

[While in the chamber, the mage armor will grant a bonus of +6 AC instead]

13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
--> 11 Renna
7 Wren

Psychie Psychie is up with Renna.

Renna feels the presence of the evil spirit as a deep chill that sinks into her bones. She is about to leap into the fray to try and restrain Gordib, but when the lizard man is hurt, his wounds take priority. She reaches out to slap the side of the wounded reptile and calls out, "Iomeade! Guide my hand, protect your faithful, grant me strength!"
Using one of my Lay on Hands ability to heal 1d6 damage to Veskassdak. As a Swift Action, I also want to engage my Smite Evil power against the possessed Gordib, giving me an additional +4 AC against him.
Lay on Hands 4x remaining.

As you call for your deity's aid, her power flows through your veins like rarely before. If her support is any indication, then the force controlling the man must be as evil as you could ever imagine, a true enemy of everything the Inheritor stands for. And somehow, you can feel that you're not alone in your fight against it - as if another, like-minded creature would watch your back, weak in comparison, and yet entirely focused on supporting those in need. When Veskassdak's wound closes partially due to your magic, you can feel its protective presence on him.

[Veskassdak recovers 6 hp for now]

Height of water: ankle-deep.
Initiative order:

13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
11 Renna
--> 7 Wren

Sherwood Sherwood is up with Wren.

Wren quickly slips the various goods that she snagged into a convenient pouch and readies her weapons, not knowing if this fight is one to disable or to kill the possessed man. In the meantime, she will make a 5 foot position shift to get into a flanking position for the fearsome lizard man to try to wrestle him to the ground.

OOC if possible, I will go full defensive to try and keep from getting hit

Wren manages to move up to the man, threatening his flank - you can notice how his eyes move between the two of you, not as if he'd be worried about his life, but as if he'd try to estimate who of you is the easier prey. He finally stabs in your direction, though the attack is easily avoided by a quick step sidewards.

[full defense activated]

There is permanently more water running down the stairs - the water level slowly rises, trying to first swallow the chest and the unconcious elf, and then whomever might still be down here after that. Dicer Dicer is up with Veskassdak, probably the least concerned wth that.

Height of water: half of the height of your lower legs, for the smaller ones amongst your group. It splashes, but doesn't slow any of you down too much. The first stair tread is about to vanish in the mud.

Initiative order:

-->13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
11 Renna
7 Wren

Angered by the attack, Veskassdak decided to no longer hold back and roared "Shurigrem heem korlas kles!" His yellow eyes took on a blood hue as his breathing sped up and his muscles bulged massively. The coloration of his back frill again took on a deeper shade of green as his dorsal spike tips elongated half an inch and deepened to the color of dark blood. He entered his combat rage as he readied to strike back at the possessed mammal. Those new to his raging form now saw a nightmarish creature.

Even in his rage, he felt and appreciated the healing energies granted by the female mammal's touch, but chose to not acknowledge it at that moment. There were more important matters to focus on. Hoping to not take too much damage, he slashed with his claws and bit at the possessed mammal. He would apologize later, unless the possessed mammal was dead. One does not apologize to the dead.

[Attack bonus +7; bite 1d3+5 damage; 2 claws 1d4+5 damage; AC 14; hp 19]

Last edited:
As the berserker enters his rage, you can once again hear the entity's thunderous voice. "Fight, be free. Break your own chains." The possessed man manages to block one of your claws with the hilt of his sword, but in response, the other one as well as your teeth dig their way into his flesh, Both draw blood, and should cause overwhelming pain - but Gordib shows no sign of that, his mind focused on causing havoc alone.
He answers with another forceful blow - but this time, scales combined with the additional barrier of Baird's magic can stop the blade before it can cause another deep wound.

[bite+1claw hit, 16 damage total]

Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe is up with Baird

Height of water: first stair tread covered by mud.
Initiative order:
13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
--> 11 Baird
11 Renna
7 Wren

Seeing his magic protect Veskassdak somewhat, Baird readies his crossbow to fire at the possessed Gordib.

((heavy crossbow 1d10 damage 20 x2, +2 bonus to hit))

The man should be an easy target, standing in the doorway with little room to maneuver around - and yet, he somehow manages to escape your shot, the bolt hitting the stairs instead of getting stuck in the scout's flesh.

[roll was a 2...]

Psychie Psychie is up with Renna.

Height of water: first stair tread covered by mud, about to swallow Io.
Initiative order:
13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
--> 11 Renna
7 Wren

If I can do so without triggering an Attack of Opportunity, Renna will move to a flanking position either with Wren or with Veskassdak, and use her greatsword on the possessed Gordib. Once more, she calls out, "Great Iomeade! Guide my hand! For the heart!"

Smite Evil still in effect, giving me a total of +10 to hit, and damage is 2d6+10 unless he counts as an Evil Outsider or Undead, then the damage is 2d6+12.

Last edited:
Given his current position, standing in the doorway and flanked by your two companions, there isn't really an opportunity for you to get into flanking position. That said, guided by your detiy, you do not need an additional advantage, as your sword draws blood, hitting the man as he tries to block your strike. You can see him stumble a few steps backwards - for a moment, the insanity in his eyes seems to fade away. Not for long, though, as the thunderous voice resounds in your heads once more: "Unchained and free, no false Goddess will stop me."

[18 damage]

More swampy water runs down the stairs - you might notice Io moving slightly as the mud slowly encloses her, threatening to cut off her breath. The elf remains unconcious, though, not able to get herself back on her feet.

Height of water: first stair tread covered by mud, about to swallow Io.
Initiative order:
13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
11 Renna
--> 7 Wren

Edit: Forgot to tag Sherwood Sherwood , you're up with Wren.

Last edited:
Wren sheathes her blades and moves as fast as she can to get to the fallen elf, hopefully keeping out of the range of the killer blade of the possessed man. Pulling her up, Wren tries to get the other woman respond. At the very least, her head is out of the water, so she is not in any danger of drowning.

Wren manages to dodge Gordib's blade, at least partially due to Renna being in position to back her up. Hurrying towards the elf, she easily can pull her up, out of the mud's grasp. Trying to shake her up has little success at first - then, your efforts are finally rewarded, with the elf opening one of her eyes; she looks around disorientedly, trying her best to get on her feet. "What..." Shakily, she manages to do so with Wren's help, but certainly won't be of any help in the ongoing fight.

Right when the elf stands once again, there is another bursting sound somewhere on top of you, and another torrent of water shotts down the stairs. None of you loses his footing, though Gordib struggles as the wave surprises him from behind.

Height of water: reaching the second stair tread
Initiative order:
--> 13 Veskassdak
12 Gordib, the possessed
11 Baird
11 Renna
7 Wren

Dicer Dicer is up with Veskassdak.

Seeing the possessed sword wielding mammal had a disadvantage from the sudden wave of rushing water, Veskassdak ignored the pain from his wounds and struck again with his claws and bite.

[Veskassdak has used 5 of 9 rounds of rage today.]

The lizardman takes full advantage of the opportunity, hitting the soldier with both claws and teeth. The man can hardly put up resistance, caught in his own wrath to spill blood. Finally, the being controlling him senses defeat, the glowing anger leaves Gordibs eyes - right before the berserker's left claw burrows itself in his chest. A deep wound, though not lethal yet, sending him to the ground, bathed in blood. Mud splashes, as he hits the stairs, his head bashing against the stone and knocking any kind of awareness or thoughts out of his mind.

[major success, all three attacks hit and almost scored maximal damage...]

You all can feel an evil presence right between you, and once again hear the thunderous voice. "Be free. The first falls, and all others will follow. I will break my chains, and see the foolish perish in blood."

The presence seems to dart through the chamber, right in Io's direction. Due to her own preparations, dropping the weapons ahead of time, she is unarmed for now, but might pose a threat regardless - you will never know. Right before she gets hit, a golden aura seems to surround her. A draconic roar can be heard, forming a single word. "No." The same voice Baird heard, the same presence Renna felt. Weak in comparison to the anger-filled thunder, but seemingly still strong enough for the moment. Right when the aura flickers as if hit by an overwhelming strike, the ground shakes once again. Runes glow, blinding light flashes. Small pebbles break loose from the ceiling, hitting everyone and everything in the chamber. Another crackling sound, water gurgles as it shoots down the stairs. A lightning starts from the Harbinger's depicted hand, hitting the dragon's picture. Fire, water and earth follow, called by the other entities, destroying the picture beyond recognition. Another roar, an angry shout - then both the evil entity as well as its weakened conterpart are gone. You are left in the chamber, more pebbles rain down shower down. Io gets hit at the temple, disorientedly tumbling before finding her balance. The water level rises rapidly. You might want to leave.

[damage from the random pebbles hitting you: Veskassdak 2, Baird 1, Renna 4, and Wren is the typical rogue and simply dodges everything]
[leaving combat - let me know how you intend to escape, including in which order, and if you intend to use any abilities, help others, and the like]

Wren steadies herself as the storm of rocks and wind whips at them, and reaches out to Io, trying to help the other woman. "We need to get out of here, like now! I'll help her, you guys get the other guy. C'mon!" She does her best to aid the elf, pushing against the flow of water rushing down the stairs.

OOC I have a total of +9 in my Acrobatics skill to not only keep my footing on the stairs, but to help Io get up herself.

With a smooth motion, Renna reaches down with one hand to scoop up Gordib, and using her great strength, tosses him over her shoulder and powers her way towards the stairs. "Getting out of here sounds like an outstanding idea to me! Everyone, move!"

As she climbs the stairs, she mutters a brief prayer, asking for Iomeade to provide Gordib some relief from his wounds.
Using one of my Lay on Hands on Gordib, leaving me with 3 more uses today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back