• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Battle for Kazragun

With the threat of possible hostiles coming down the stairs, Wren will do her best to stealth over to a position where she can jump out and perform a Sneak Attack if it turns out to be an enemy.

After a brief pause as the voice echos in her mind, Renna continues down the stairs somewhat slower. What is going on down there? Be ready for anything. Her hand reaches up to grab the hilt of her greatsword and pulls it free from the sheath. Whatever it is that is down there might not be friendly.

OOC Detect Evil, please.

"He was sentenced by all of us. He shall not be freed till the end of time," Baird's brow furrowed as he heard the Harbinger's voice echo in his own head. However, it seemed as though he was not the only one who could hear him as Veskassdak also spoke. "It's the Harbinger, he's trying to stop us from interacting with the dragon picture. Keep your wits about you, Veskassdak as well as keep an eye out for enemies I imagine."

For Wren, there is not really anything to hide behind. The best she can do is stand close to the door such that anyone coming down will see the other side first, giving you the element of surprise if someone joins the three of you downstairs.

When Veskassdak complains about the voice in his head, something potentially unexpected happens - the voice obeys. "If you so wish, Daraness' hatchling", it remarks, before not only vanishing, but leaving a certainty behind that it won't return anytime soon.

For Baird, the dancer's voice stays silent - it seems as if the Harbinger blocks any further hints, if she's even trying to help more than what she said thus far.

As the paladin reaches out to detect the evil around her, she can feel three different auras behind the door below. One feels like the thing causing it is gone by now - maybe the lingering remains of a ritual of some sort. The other two seem weird - somehow as if it'd be just the reflexion of a strong aura, located somewhere else. As Io gets close to the door, she makes sure to nock an arrow, ready to shoot at anything that might be dangerous. From her angle, Wren cannot see her approach, and the elven feet cause no noise on the ground. Veskassdak, however, can see the end of a longbow on the stairs, slowly moving downwards as the scout comes into sight.

Renna continues down the stairs, ready to leap forward with her greatsword at the first sign of danger to either her or Io. Assuming that the stairs are wide enough, she will be to one side in order to be able to move forward without disrupting the arrow fire of the archer.

The stairs are wide enough to walk next to each other, though both the handling of a bow and the use of your greatsword will certainly need more space than what's available that way. Needless to say, the paladin's steps are far easier to hear, and so everyone downstairs will notice them coming. Your choice how to react to that - but you certainly can feel the attention of the pictures slowly shift towards the new intruders.

Wren doesn't say anything, but motions to her ears and points at the stairwell, trying to indicate that she hears footsteps coming down. She stays at the spot next to the stair, swords in hand, just in case the person or persons coming down are going to be hostile.

Hearing the steps coming down, he realized that whomever that someone may be is not trying to be stealthy. He decided to give that someone a chance before he started fighting. "If you enemy," Veskassdak hisses up he stairs towards the steps he hears coming down, "know Veskassdak of Litayrkek tribe waitsss. Death not fearsss me. Friendsss protect doesss me. Ready battle born me. Ssslain enemiesss many hasss usss. Prepared fight are we. You mean fight usss, thing lassst you fight will."

Renna pauses as she comes down the stairs. She calls out, "I am Renna Taeger, paladin of Iomeade. If you are a part of the scouting party that was sent out, my comrade and I are here to aid you, not to fight. I am coming down now. So long as I am not attacked, I will sheathe my weapon and we can have a pleasant conversation about dark, dank holes in the ground and what you have found down here."

Not trying to be silent, but not deliberately clomping, she makes her way down the stairs and out into the open. If no one makes any hostile moves, she will do as she said and sheathes her greatsword once more on her back and gives a partial bow. "Greetings, neighbors."

Wren takes a step back, but is still cautious. Once the armored woman makes her way out into the open, it is quickly clear that she is not an orc or goblin, and is openly sporting the holy symbol for Iomeade. She sheaths her blades, too. Then, the comment of 'we are here' sinks in. "Who else is up there with you? Come on out into the open and let us see who we are dealing with."

Behind the paladin, the one with the longbow is the next one to enter. Rather young, long brown hair, pointy ears - even if some of you have not seen an elf before, she pretty much fits the description of one by the book. She only looks at each of you briefly, before her attention turns towards the chamber itself. She shortly bows in front of the Warden's and the Dancer's image - then, with her bow still at the ready, though not pointing the arrow's head at anyone in particular, she speaks. "Io Bloodclaw." Her name, that's all. Her eyes wander over the bloody runes on the walls, and her lips move as she seemingly tries to read them.

The third one to enter stops right at the doorway - not the average scout of the Order, almost as tall as Veskassdak and with his longsword in hand. Gordibs thoughts are clearly visible as he stands there, mustering the lizardman warily as if he'd expect to be torn apart any second.

Baird, seeing a momentary distraction from the images on the wall, approaches the group swiftly, but out of caution stays the same distance as Veskassdak. "My name is Baird Starson, good to meet you!" Baird speaks in a very friendly and suave tone in attempt to pacify any uncertainties in the group.
Silanon Silanon Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Dicer Dicer

Renna smiles. "Greetings, Baird Starson. As I said, I am Renna, a paladin of Iomeade, and we are here to help." She looks around a bit, puzzled at the various glyphs and runes on the wall. "What is this place?"

In a quiet voice, she says, "I'm Wren. Its good to meet you. I'm glad to have another strong warrior to help out here."

Baird smiles for a moment before continuing, "Likewise Renna. As for these symbols and glyphs this is a somewhat holy place. Although," Baird gestures to the wall, "We've been unsuccessful in figuring anything that we don't already know apart from opening that chest. Here is what we do know though, these glyphs have magic that causes them to lock their gaze onto a person or persons if they are intriguing to them. That chest over there is watched by a being known as a Kraken, a sea monster. The rest of them are as follows, The Harbinger, The Dancer, The Warden, and," Baird motions to the Dragon, still covered in blood runes, "The Dragon. They don't want him awakened for some reason although I can't figure out why."

Renna scratches at her head. "I did not spend much time in book studies; instead I focused on my more martial training. But, I am sure that something has sunk in that might be of use. Let me take a peek at these."

OOC I have a total of +4 with Knowledge: Religion that might be of some help.

Seeing the new mammals enter the chamber peacefully, Veskassdak slightly eases his battle tension, although it would be hard for anyone who does not know him to tell so. However the one with the longsword in its hand looking at him with combat readiness in its eyes keeps him from going all the way to a noncombat standing. Mammals are prone to be aggressive towards his kind and he would be ready if the mammal attacks. He would protect those he travels with.

Last edited:
As the lizardman does not try to kill him right away, you can see how the scout's grip on his weapon eases at least a little bit. With his eyes mustering the chamber, you can see that he does not like the look of it, though, and stays in the doorway.

For Renna, the runes are unfamiliar - they are of magical nature, not related to religion. There are other hints to be seen, though. First, and rather obvious, the Dancer, if not herself a demon, has at least demonic ancestry by the looks of her picture. What that means to our paladin is up to you to decide. The Warden seems somehow familiar - maybe a book about druidic cults that the paladin had a glance at before marching northwards? If so, that'd tell at least something about what to expect of her. In the Harbinger's background, you can see a pair of griffons, and there is a bundle of keys at his belt - reminding you of Abadur's servants and symbols, just like the double-headed, key-holding eagle on the ceremonial dagger Wren found (assuming that you get to see it). In the chamber, the paladin can get a better idea of the evil she spotted from outside - both the kraken and the golden dragon seem to be surrounded by an aura of evil (their pictures, that is), but the most prevalent impression is that one of the bloody runes on the dead body and around the dragon's image. Some kind of evil blood magic , quite powerful since you can still feel it, presumably days later.

While Renna makes her first observations, Io moves forward, carefully mustering the runes on the wall before kneeling down next to the dead elf, closing her eyes as she speaks a short prayer. Only then does she answer Baird's description. "The images are mirrors of their mind. Ways to communicate with them, wherever they are. At least, that's what the guardians are usually there for, or the shamans of some of the tribes up here. It's a long story to tell, and I only know some parts of it." She looks up as the sorcerer mentions the dragon in particular. "The story of the Golden One is even more complicated - it begins further south, where my people live. But I shouldn't tell it in here." She then goes back to mustering the runes - as quiet as she's been the entire day thus far.

Baird perks up when Io mentions the "golden one" and tries and fails to hide his sudden surprised expression. As his eyebrows raised, Baird thinks that perhaps she could tell him more, given his situation. "Ah so that's the reason why the images move! Although it's a bit unnerving that they are mind images though."

Last edited:
OOC It wasn't Renna that mentioned the Golden One. It was Io. Just sayin'.

Renna finally turns to regard the body lying in the middle of the room. With a sad voice, she says, "I think I should remove the remains and offer up a blessing. Then, perhaps I can proceed in good conscience without wondering about the fate of this man's soul. If you will excuse me, I'll take care of that quickly and return."

Wren pauses in respectful silence as the paladin moves to take the body out of the chamber. While she waits for the other woman to return, she pulls out the keys and begins to examine them carefully, not trying them in the lock of the chest yet, but looking to see if any of these keys might be what opens up the chest.

Seeing the mammal relax his grip on his sword, Veskassdak turned his attention to the others. He listened to the pointy eared mammal explain what these guardians are. When the armored mammal picked up the dead mammal, he moved aside to let her pass. He held his speech to determine if these new mammals were indeed peaceful or if they were merely hiding their true intentions and waiting to attack them when their guard came down. At least the new mammals were not the green-skinned mammals who were definitely hostile. Regardless, he would remain ready in case things went to whirlsand. He elders always said, "Never trust mammals until they prove trustworthy."

Taking a closer look at the keys, both the iron key and the silver one seem to be unlikely - the lock looks old and dirty, and both of them have a design opposite to that. The same holds for the broken key, though that one is out of the question anyways - thus, two keys remain, one as likely as the other: one made of basalt, covered by a layer of water as if belonging into the deep seas, the other one muddy as if it'd have its home in the swamps itself. You'd have the chance to try one of them before the following happens - just let me know which one you choose.

Meanwhile, the paladin does her best to pay her respect to the dead, dragging him out of the mud and towards the stairs. He's rather light, not much more than skin and bones, so you have no trouble carrying him. Gordib, blocking the doorway unintentionally, seems as if he's about to say something - then shakes his head as if to chase off an unwelcome thought, and steps sideways, entering the room to let you pass. Needless to say, he tries to stay away from the lizardman as far as possible in the process.

Io seems to approve Renna's line of thought, or at least she does not interfere. When the paladin get closer to the doorway, two steps away from the first stair tread, the bloody runes around the dragon's picture suddenly seem to glow brightly - as if the unholy markings would get burnt by an inner fire. You see Gordib grab his sword tighter, fear in his eyes. On the other hand, the elven woman seems not surprised in the slightest, laying down her bow and dagger as if to not have them at hand. She nods, as if asking the paladin to continue in her doing. Do you follow her advice, continuing what seems to be the proper thing - or do you pause, potentially leaving the filthy magic intact, not knowing what exactly it does?

Wren will go ahead and kneel down in front of the chest with the keys in hand. "I am going to try the muddy key in the chest now. Lets see if it works."

And so a choice has been made, dooming the entire party and - ahem, not yet.

When the rogue inserts the key, there is a moment of resistance - Wren can feel the Warden's look, calmly mustering her in front of the chest. There is no wrath or coldness in her gaze, neither approval nor refusal; just a disturbing tiredness, as if she'd have lost interest and faith in this world. Soon enough, the feeling is gone, a clicking resounds as the lock snaps open. Inside the chest, the first thing one can see is - mud. It smells horribly, bubbles somehow and fills half of the chest. However, the rogue's sharp eyes can find four objects of interest:

First, there is a pouch , likely made out of some kind of leather -hard to tell, as filthy as it is, drifting on the surface. When you pick it up, you can feel half a dozen roughly thump-sized objects in it. Secondly, there is some kind of orb, made out of a glass-like material. It's hollow, and inside of it is - even more mud. Maybe it serves a purpose, maybe not. You'll find out eventually. The third one is a small flask, with a dark liquor in it - the bottle looks slightly corroded. Last, but not least, the rogue can snatch a leather cord that is about to sink back into the mud. There is an amulet on it, completely clean despite the fact that she drags it out of this chest. A piece of metal, with a single, golden scale on it.

There seems to be nothing else to find - your investigations get interrupted by the bloody runes catching fire, and the chest closing right in front of your wary eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back