• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

At the Adventurers' Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had group-sharing in mind when I wrote up the "About Kitrin" tab on my character sheet, so I don't have a problem with the party knowing any or all of it. I'm sure we sat down in a tavern together at some point, so even the favorite foods list might have come up. She is a hobbit halfling after all! (Struckthrough only because of the copyright that caused D&D and Pathfinder to call them halflings in the first place. The GM hath informed me that they're hobbits in his game.:smiled:)

Well, if you are talking about favorite foods, give Luna a blueberry pie and watch her swoon with delight. Same thing goes for her that Kaerri said about her fuzzy-footed lady; my background is posted with her picture and should be general knowledge for the party. Luna is a very bright but not necessarily wise, has a wicked sweet tooth, comes fro a long line of wizards in her family, and is very shy and will blush easily when teased. What else do you guys want to know about her?

I've got one (before I hit the sack here). What name would everyone like the team to go by?

Otiorin can be exceptionally lazy, that much will have become apparent to his group pretty fast after they decide for a 'first thing in the morning' start to the adventure, which rapidly becomes 'sometime in the afternoon' as Otiorin insists on a good breakfast, bath, nap then actually packs his gear to leave. The only time he can be enticed to move with any speed is when he is challenged or his skills played down. His ego does not allow such things to go unanswered!

He enjoys his fare spicy. Grey Elf food might be an epicure's delight, but to his taste it is bland and 'samey'. Be it spiced ale or wine, chillies in his soup or horseradish on his beef, he likes his foods and drinks lively!

He is definitely the voice of the party, rattling off some tall tale or anecdote, usually involving himself in some Baron Munchausenesque antics with famous or infamous people he's probably never met. But then, with his wit, who can really tell?

Captain Hesperus

All. Re: Grey Elf cuisine. These folks live on a grand city near the sea and forest, and what Captain Hesperus is describing works for Sharseya. It's healthy, well prepared, and comes in vast varieties involving "surf and turf", but spicy and lively? No, not in human terms (though their wine will make you see things and one might kill for their incredible desserts). You want spicy and powerful on this side of the world, see the Dwarves and some folks in Summerset. I am thinking that desire for such cuisine likely came from Otiorin's human side... =)

@Sherwood. What do you think of Sparkle? If you don't like the concept, I can create something else. (I am not about to stick you or anyone with a familiar/animal companion you don't like.)

O.K. Now I am off to bed (before more fun thoughts keep me awake). =)

I can already see Luna treating Sparkle more like a friend than a servant, not ordering her around but instead asking her opinions on things that most wizards would just ignore from their familiar.

All. Re: Mounts. Hah! Sherwood writes, "as the party rides up,". I offered mounts to everyone (including a riding saddle and two saddlebags, if memory serves). Sherwood aside, who wants mounts (and if you want to adjust your character skills to reflect a Ride skill, now is the time. The time for molding our characters is nearly done; after that, the clay sets and is complete). =)

Sherwood. Re: Sparkle. Which suits the little draconic lady just fine, thank you! <insert psuedo dragon curtsey here> And I'm glad - If there is one thing Sparkle appreciates, it is respect. So that settles it - Sparkle's a keeper. Thank you, bud! =)

Note: NOW off to bed! Ha ha ha! ZZzzz.... =)

Ack, no one said anything so I didn't think we were taking mounts. If we are, I'll take one and see if I can scrounge up some skill points to counteract the armor negatives I've got on Ride.

Its not like I'm some highly skilled cavalier. I just have enough Ride to keep in the saddle on a calm horse. Anything else and I'm in trouble.

Otiorin has the funds and the ability to sit a hoss. However, he'll not be winning any gymkhanas any time soon, but he certainly acts confident about his riding...

Captain Hesperus

Riding. I will grab a mount then (must have missed that part) in addition to the standard equipment. Putting it under special in my inventory, and assuming I don't need to add the weight of the horse or his equipment to my character :cross:

And I have deducted 1 rank from my Perception (which is now at only 9) and reassigned it to my Ride skill, which is now at a much more glorious +5 rather than +1 (since 1 rank here also gives me +3 bonus for my class now that it's a trained skill). All in all, I'm probably the best rider in the party now *bark*

I want to ask about all of the -X armor checks for my relevant skills. This deduction doesn't apply if I'm not wearing the armor, right? I mean, my ranger would hardly go swimming in any clothes at all, let alone armoured! (except circumstances leave him no choice, of course)

Also I have completed my biography and, like everyone before me, it is entirely known to the other party members, probably from ingame conversations that took place. I suppose that makes my character sheet sealed :wink:

As for my bird of prey, I would like Pecker to know the following tricks, slightly augmented due to my signature ability:

- Fetch (bring an item to the ranger)

- Scout (fly around and check for potential danger)

- Relay (courier between ranger and familiar persons)

- Stare (a deep, intimidating gaze at a target)

p.s. I laughed right there alongside the mercenaries, purely out of character of course, couldn't help it! The blacksmith joke was a genuine one, ha ha! :bigsmile:

p.p.s. @Sherwood, how old is your character? I don't see it listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Must have forgotten to put her current age down. Luna is 29.

Horses were mentioned pretty early in the conversation thread, probably before Wolf and Captain Hesperus joined us.

If everyone wants mounts (in the form of light combat-trained horses with riding saddles and saddlebags)' date=' just let me know and they are yours. I would prefer that either everyone have horses or no one, but I am leaving that up to you to decide.[/quote']
And I think that was the last time it was mentioned until Luna rode in.:tongue: So are we all taking one, then? That's what it sounds like so far.

Armor Check: Yes, it only applies when you're wearing it. However, we're probably going to be in armor more often than not, so I generally add it in by default.

All. It appears it is horses and ponies for everyone, then! That's a good thing, I think, given the length of the journey.

@Sherwood Does Luna want Sparkle on her person or hidden in a saddlebag? Remember that Sparkle's protection only lasts while she is touching someone she wishes to protect.

Wolf. Re: P.S. Thanks! I enjoyed writing that. =) Re: Pecker's tricks. Good ones! I can also see Stare used to to help Leonard keep track of a target that Pecker can see, but he can't. All he has to do is keep an eye on Pecker to know where Pecker's target is. =) Re: Wolf's background. I like it and it happens to work well with what I have written for Sharseya, for there are small towns between Summerset and the wild beyond (including those between Summerset and the next kingdom south, the Forest Eternal where both the Wood Elves, Wild Elves, and almost no other humanoids currently call home).

Last edited by a moderator:
Having Sparkle on her shoulder will work for me; she can hide under her robe when she needs to be out of sight. BTW, what is the weather like? Snow, rain, heat, etc?

Captain Hesperus. Re: Moonlit Edge and Sunfire Blade. Most of the elements of this tale are just fine for Sharseya, except for two things.

1. The scale.
No enemy has faced the Grey Elves in the thousands for a very long time (even in Elven standards; it is one of the big reasons they moved their kingdom to the edge of the sea so long ago), and that actually serves Otiorin well. Because...

2. The idea of an ancient, powerful
Elven weapon in the hands of a half-elf would cause the Grey Elves of my campaign to track your character down (think Githyanki after a Silver Sword) with the intent of taking it from him. This would be done for the safety of the weapon, not so much to humiliate Otiorin - being a half-elf is hard enough - unless of course he has had it coming for some reason. I leave that to you to decide how well Otiorin got along with his Grey Elven kin. For most of them certainly did not treat Otiorin as anything near an equal - if anything, a half-elf among the Grey was raised in a similar fashion to how we raise our kids with special needs. Most provide them true warmth, love, and safety, but there is a line that is not crossed - One does not share secrets because we don't know what the "poor child" will do with them. It might not be Otiorin's fault that he isn't "as whole as the rest of us" and other such delightful half-elven realities). Otiorin is the only half-elf among the Grey that he knows of (and legend has it there are less than 12 half-elves total on the whole world of Sharseya, and that includes those outside of Grey Elven blood).

The Grey Elves in my campaign are known for their bravery, their ability to keep secrets, their loyalty to those who have earned it, and their penchant for remembering well what other races have perhaps forgotten (this goes for even the Wood and Wild Elves now dwelling in the Wood Elves home, the Forest Eternal). Otiorin can most certainly be given a family heirloom by his loving mother - but she would have to do this in complete secrecy if it is some kind of item dear to the Grey Elves. I like the idea of him having a weapon that is dear,
but not too dear to his Grey Elven kin, lest they come looking. We are talking about a +2 weapon, after all (not +4 or +5).

So, sure! Like his half-elven ancestry and Silver Dragon Bloodline Power, this weapon seems to be yet another thing about Otiorin that I think he might do well not to advertise, but it is still a secret that could help him succeed in his adventures. What do you think about all this? Is this all right with you?

@Sherwood Re: Weather. It is windy and cool at the moment. The season is early autumn. Your team is currently in a forest climate that is normally not very harsh. As you near Highwind, though, expect it to get colder, with some light snow, heavy breezes, and the occasional tornado (no kidding!). It is called the Kingdom of Highwind for good reason. In terms of weather, Summerset with its wide valleys, rolling hills, and calm forests is a vacation spot compared to Highwind.

Re: Sparkle. Consider Sparkle to be hidden in Luna's robes for the time being then (which is helpful, as Sparkle has a penchant for spying).

So, um, Kitrin's about to give someone whatfor, unless someone stops her? It won't take much but she's feeling too hotheaded to back off without a little help.

All. Re: Kitrin. I can see it now. =) Party to Kitrin: "Dang it, Kitrin! You killed three mercenaries and wounded two! Now we've been fired before we have even met our would-be employer! Now it's back to Summerset for all of us!" Kitrin peeps: "It's not my fault!" Hee hee! =)

"Well, it isn't! Stupid mercenaries..."

*pats Kitrin's head*

Yeah, Otiorin has MANY reasons to keep a low profile and the Moonlit Edge is just one of them. I pointedly didn't mention any specifics beyond 'legend tells...' just to keep the metagame effects low.

Captain Hesperus

Captain Hesperus. Yes, I noticed that. And thank you for doing so. =) I want folks to have characters who fit into the goings-on in Sharseya (and there is a lot that has happened). Details about where your characters have been and what they know about the world are something I certainly don't mind getting into as we play. I just think if we did it now, it would be a lot of information I would rather share during the course of the game, rather than "info-dumping" it on everyone. Re: Working night shifts. Back on page 2, you mentioned you hate working night shifts. I hear you and wish you as few of those as possible. On a slightly-related note, Kaerri and I are often asleep at this time (we normally hit the sack about 9 p.m. EST). A painful headache (a direct result of the sheer amount of work I accomplished today) is the reason I am going to bed now, having taken a much-required nap not long after I arrived home today. So, if you don't see us on this late in the future, that's why. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back