• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arva: Tides of Darkness [IC] [Closed]

Eidunn looked slightly taken aback, forgetting that she was in fact here with other people. "Oh, yeah." She said, laughing as she pulled the cloak and other pieces of clothing, before proceeding to not-so-graciously enter the water. Eidunn then proceeded to submerge her head beneath the water, resurfacing after a couple of seconds. "Its all so fancy, isn't it." She laughed, settling down next to Zakala.

"Hmm, yeah." Zakala replied as she settle in again as she dipped her head below water and quickly resurfacing once more. "Most bathhouses are quite simple, but the owner here has quite the taste in decor. From what I hear his family made a fortune selling wine from Nysa."

---
"Yes, usually people take the northern routes attempted many times before. Those waters are plagued with pirates as well as large sea monsters." Hughin explained to Da'Vost before being cut off by Gerwin. "Which be why we takin' the southern routes." he said with a grin, causing Hughin to look at the Utterlin with an expression of shock. "You want to take the routes through the Shimmering Sea? Have you lost your mind Gerwin? I regret taking this fucking job already-"

"Relax Hughie! Ya know me, I'm an expert navigator in these matters." Gerwin shot back with humor in his voice, which only served to annoy Hughin more.

"There's a reason why practically all ships avoid the Shimmering Sea, Gerwin. Even the routes to Nawa stay close to the shores and never dare venture out far into those accursed waters."

"Well, if we do come across sometin' then that's what I hired ye for!"

Hughin rubbed the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Fuck." was all Hughin could get out as he walked off back to the bar to get a drink.

Gerwin watched Hughin move away with a chuckle before turning his attention to the other at the table. "Well now birdman. What do ye say ar chances of gettin' ta Pengiros are?" Gerwin asked Da'Vost as he leaned back in his chair and kicked his small feet up onto the table.

Last edited:
Gladly receiving the cask the Satyr took a large swig before placing it at the bath's edge. There was nothing quite like getting drunk naked in luxury. Feeling his muscles begin to relax for the first time a long while the sensation reminded him of his youth back when he wandered the pasturelands of the old country. Every town worth its salt had atleast a bath house, gymnasium, and theatre in Nysa. A testament to the decadent nature of the Satyrs he reckoned, showed how devoted they actually were to the quest. He closed his eyes wondering how his friends fared far off in distant lands, the fate of lost lovers, and if his parents still lived...It had been a long time since he'd seen them. Krasso snapped back to reality on hearing the discussion between Arnas and Waylond.

"During times of strife people always seek comfort. Bathhouses, brothels, gambling parlors, taverns, theatres, they all boom during times of fear as people seek to ease their minds." He said before dipping his head under the water to wet down his hair. "On another note, I recommend visiting the masseuses here they're some of the finest I've come across outside of the Vinelands." He wondered if he could manage to get a massage given his lack of coin and the obvious increase in debt he'd owe the establishment. But then again...he was in debt to a lot of people. What more would a small increase truly matter?

The Aervis listened to the bickering between Hughin and Gerwin with interest, head cocking and twisting this way and that as it often did. While his kind were very adept at reading the skies and the Aether, very little of that knowledge translated to the sea. After all, Da'Vost's lofty kind had little reason to note or care for details vital to sailors such as currents, regions, and dead zones. Still, it did not require an expert knowledge of the subject to know that pirates and sea monsters were a threat.

"Hmm..." he crooned in response to Gerwin's question, beak clicking rapidly as he thought. "I am unaware of the dangers, truthfully. My statements have only confirmed the land's existence and have merely speculated that the journey will be difficult if the land has not been rediscovered." Da'Vost explains, though he soon gives a quick nod of confidence. "That said, I believe our company to be quite competent thus far. And I can say we surely will not expire from this venture, at least not in complete capacity."

After all, he hadn't seen much of the details from his vision and the timeline seemed to be flowing properly to that destination. They would at least make it that far, right?

"Ah, confidence! I like it!" Gerwin said with a laugh as he finished his drink. Hughin returned shortly after and took his seat once more before looking at Gerwin. "So, when do we start?" he asked the Utterlin. Gerwin wiped his mouth and whiskers from the foam that was stuck on it and chuckled: "How soon can ye start?" he retorted with a grin.

Hughin was quiet for a moment before shrugging. "We can be ready by this evening. Most of my company are relaxing about the city right now."

"Good, I'll see ye at the docks then. You'll know where ta find me." Gerwin said as he slapped the table and left his seat for the exit. As he opened the door to leave, he turned once more and tipped his large hat before walking out once again. Hughin grunted as he looked to the few members of the Company that had stayed behind in the tavern and spoke to them: "Looks like we got work."

It was just her, Hughin and Da'Vost still in the tavern--she didn't want to leave them alone, being out and about had set her nerves alight and she was having trouble slowing down. One of these bathhouses might help, but that would mean leaving her bird-friend and commander alone and vulnerable. And her armor was going to be delivered here, it wouldn't do to miss it. She spent more than a little time trying to subtly trying to look over Da'Vost's shoulder. Invira's a stealthy thing, but being the one of three folk in this tavern made it harder to be as subtle as she might have wished.

There was a moment, just a moment, where Invira nearly drew her knives the moment Gerwin burst through the door, yelling at her commnder. Her sleeves were fairly loose so hiding a knife in them was easy and there was another in each boot and one more under her shirt on the small of her back. The Utterlin was loud and sure of himself and had another job for this particular brand of sell-swords. Hopefully Gerwin was more trustworthy than their last employer (who she still sort of wanted to sneak down and kill in the middle of the night--his town was run inefficiently and he was a cheat. The fat would make it only a little bit harder to slice his throat.).

The idea of going on a ship was a nerve-wracking thing. She'd never been on a ship, for one thing, another was that her Masters and their stolen things were here. Not on this continent that Da'Vost could confirm existed but couldn't give any sort of direction that would help. But he seemed confident enough even if Hughin didn't. But the job was taken.

"We do have work. What...exactly will we do? I don't know anything about sailing." She admitted, then hastily added, "But I can learn!"

"Its a lot nicer than the cold streams and lakes back home." Eidunn sighed, sinking lower into the water. "I could stay in here forever." She sighed, turning to face the demon once again. "This war, how do you manage. It nothing like the way we fought, its bleak, in the end, the people always lose." She pondered in her own mind. They're savages, idle citizens watching as those in power grind their lives down witho-. She shook her head, "no, it's not their fault, they can't..." Can't what? Fight for themselves. Never bow down to king that won't bow for you. Eidunn went quite, watching the water ripple softly around her neck.

"We'll just be relegated to guardin' the barge from what I can tell." Hughin said to Invira as he relaxed in his seat, "Nothing too complicated unless we actually do get attacked by whatever might lie in those waters. Gotta make sure both Gerwin and his crew make it considering they're his... well, you'll see for yourself."

---
"You're better off asking people in Kalpurnia or Lithurnia about that, they're the ones who've been dealing with that crap for years now. I just follow Hughin where he goes." Zakala replied, still with her eyes closed as she waved the water around her.

Eidunn nodded slowly, shuffling over closer toward the demon. She looked down at her own hand, admiring the difference to her new acquaintance. "Don't mind if I ask, but where are you from, demons I mean?" She asked nervously. For the longest time, Eidunn had thoigh that it was just humans, Aervis and elves, although she had only heard of the later two as myths and legends. "Can you feel if someone touches your horns?"

Zakala was quiet for a moment before turning to Eidunn and looked at her. "I... I'm not sure exactly." she started, "I know we come from another world. But I don't remember much of it... I was only a child when my people came here. Both my parents fought in the war to claim land for ourselves." She looked down to the waters and looked at the steam rising above before splashing some water on her face to wash. "There once were more than three clans, but that's what we were reduced to when we were 'driven away' according to my mother. My father told me we had a leader during those times, a blue skinned empress. And when she died, the war was ended. And now we have our little pockets today."

After answering Eidunn's first question, she was a bit taken aback by the less serious question that followed it and laughed. "When I was a child I could. But not anymore."

As the group relaxed for a few hours in the bathhouse, they felt reinvigorated from the hot waters they were in and were overall refreshed from the downtime they had for today rather than sitting around and drinking or doing other menial tasks. And once they had their fill, everyone got dressed and paid their fees for their stay (for Krasso, he had to be bailed out by Zakala for his portion of the pay as he was broke) before making their way back to the tavern. Once everyone had returned, Hughin gathered everyone at a table and spoke up: "Welcome back everyone. We've got a new job."
The news was a bit surprising, least of all to Zakala and Arnas who both looked at each other with a bit of confusion before the former spoke up: "From who?"

"Gerwin. He's stopped by and asked us to guard his barge as he travels." Hughin replied, which got a chuckle from Arnas. "Gerwin's here?" he asked with a tone of surprise, "What for?"

"He has some crazy notion that he's going to find Pengiros and get rich off it. And, well, he needs us to help."

"Pengiros? Hughin, even you should know that's madness." Zakala spoke out with concern, "No matter which route we would attempt to take, it would be madness."

"We've already been paid, so it's not in discussion about whether we're going or not. Besides, Da'Vost has claimed some of his kin reside there and that's another lead for us."

Zakala was quiet for a moment before shaking her head and walking off upstairs. Arnas meanwhile was quite excited and visibly so: "When do we start?" he asked with a joyful grin.

"We start right now. Everyone, get packed and gather your belongings." Hughin spoke aloud to everyone, but Arnas didn't need that cue as he quickly rushed upstairs to his lodgings to start collecting what he needed, taking his sword, armor, and a new wooden shield he had bought after the last job. Zakala meanwhile also had went to her own room but was packing with much less enthusiasm. She didn't like the idea of going on such a perilous journey, but a job was a job and in the end she did trust Hughin.

"Any more questions?" Hughin asked to other members of the Company.

The trip to the baths had been both relaxing and refreshing. He couldn't remember the last time he had actually bathed in warm water and not the shit and muck filled rivers that criss-crossed the country side. Although...he was now in debt to the company store as it were and would be spending alot more time than he bargained for whenever he was in town. 'Damn slave drivers and their lack of respect for clergy' he thought as they returned to the tavern. The sky was remarkably clear and he could make out the constellations he had learned of from his youth. All of them were said to be heroes rewarded by the King of Satyrs with eternal life in the heavens. However, his pleasant mood would be interrupted as they finally arrived back home.

"P-p-pengiros...N-N-NYSIEON???" He didn't realize he was gasping for air until he felt tears start to descend down his cheeks. ["By the grace of the King, the four winds, and all that is holy do not make me set foot on that accursed land!"] He did not realize that he was shouting in his native tongue. ["I have so much to live for! I haven't even sired a young one yet, let alone see my family in a nigh century!"] The former point he was unsure of. He began to pace around in a frantic manner throwing his hands in the air on occasion or tugging at his hair and horns. ["Chickens! We need to offer a proper sacrifice to the winds and the King lest we be damned before we leave the shore! NO-DAMN THE CHICKENS, Goats yes GOATS, only the blood of kinsmen will appease those wretched forces that damned us so long ago!"] He continued to ramble on while making signs in the air with his hands or looking on pleadingly to his companions. Culminating in him downing his entire cask of wine in one gulp as he sought the guidance of the Missing God in this darkest of hours. For he was to commit the ultimate sin: return to the Holy Land without the King's divine guidance.

Krasso's sudden barrage of words and panic surprised Hughin as he raised his palms towards the satyr and walked over to him. "Calm down Krasso, what's the matter? You don't like sailing?" he asked, a bit confused as to what he was panicking over in the first place.

The Aervis welcomed those funneling in from the bathhouses with a nod, looking to both Hughin and Gerwin as their leader brought them up to speed on their next mission. Da'Vost already had his belongings on his person. A pack of materials and effects was kept on his waist where his tome hung at the other side of it, so that meant he did not have any packing to do. His head swiveled upon seeing Krasso begin to panic wildly, twisting and tilting about in confusion from the barrage received from a language he didn't understand.

"Yes, friend. Do calm down, if you can." he chirruped, taking a step closer to the panicking satyr. "If you explain the situation we may yet be able to aid you."

"Pot, prepare my things!" Waylond gave an order to his squire "We have work to do!" Before he could ask any questions about the trip, Krasso began to panic. While the outburst is distressing, it was something they would have to overcome before the adventure even begin their journey.

The half-mad Satyr looked around at his companions faces before settling on the captain's. "You don't understand-none of you understand! The land to the west is a cursed place, a wretched place no sensible cloven-hooved being should set foot on!" His voice still sounded distinctly panicked thought he as the wine began to do its work he slowly regained his composure and slowed his breathing.

"Nysieon-er Pengiros is the land that thousands of years ago my people fled from after the Missing god well...went missing. The legends passed down tell us of a land plagued by constant storms, mountains of fire, salted earth, and beasts beyond the like of which any have ever seen." He pauses trying to catch his breath as the weight of his ancestors dwells on his mind and in his chest. "We are forbidden from returning to the land until the Missing God returns and leads us back under his divine auspices. To go would mean certain death and damnation." He once again makes a few hand gestures in each cardinal direction. "We must give sacrifice to the winds if we are to even leave the shore safely with such a destination in mind. Otherwise we'll have no hope of getting anywhere near those ungodly shores." He was shaking. Even after drinking an entire cask of wine he could not help but feel utter dread for the journey ahead of them. The Satyric priests and bards had always made preparations for when the King would return; what songs to sing, sacrifices to give, rites to perform, etc. But the idea that he might step foot on Nysieon after thousands of years of exile both frightened and excited him to no end...it was a sublime feeling.

Eirana felt excited. Not only had she found the mercenaries and convinced them to employ her, but she was already going on her first mission. The nature of Pengiros did little to worry or cause Eirana concern.
While surrounded by myths and legends she had no doubt that she'd find herself in a far-away land- one way or another.

When Krasso panicked Eirana could only understand a word or two and she glanced at the others. "Is he always like this or is it a Satyr-thing? Cultural, perhaps?"

Last edited:
Hughin listened to what Krasso had to say and simply shrugged in response. "Listen, I doubt we'll even find any land let alone the continent itself. Now get yourself collected."

Da'Vost cocked his head at Hughin when he gave his pessimistic outlook. It would seem that the man was willing to believe the Fateseeker to either be delusional or a liar. That was no matter, little could change his thoughts in that case. Focusing on Krasso again, the Aervis raised his palms just to wave them gently downward in further attempts to calm him.

"I will not pretend to understand your god or the rituals to appease him. Yet you are not required to embark on this perilous journey." he states. "I do not think Hughin would force you to commit sacrilege for mere coin. The choice to journey is ultimately your own. Should you come I do hope it is at least possible to make amends for such transgressions, to either your god or your people."

"As for myself? We Fateseekers do not abandon our destiny. So I shall go forth with the company."

Last edited:
The trip to the bathhouse was rejuvenating to say the least. It gave Aureal his long awaited rest after traveling for weeks. When the others started packing up, the elf finds himself hesitating to leave the safe haven he has found. But alas, good things always come to an end, as what the bards in taverns always say after performing. Picking up his folded clothes and putting them on, he was met by the others as they were paying their fees before leaving the bathhouse. The trip back to the tavern was peaceful enough. Everyone was in high spirits and he was definitely planning on going back soon. Aureal didn't get to experience the massage and he has heard good things about it. When they finally arrived at the tavern, the peaceful atmosphere that has been following the group was shattered by a news from Hughin.

The name Pengiros filled the inner scholar in Aureal with excitement. 'Finally, this is exactly why I choose to join this band of mercenary after all.' He has read some books that mentioned of a continent from the far west and multiple hearsay in inns and taverns, though most of them seem to agree that it's just a myth. The idea of unexplored land and possible societies with their own culture and tradition waiting to be discovered placed a grin on his face. But it seems like his excitement was not shared by all. Krasso, after hearing the news, was having a full on panic attack. He started speaking in his native language just as what he did earlier with the hostess so they couldn't understand a thing. Taking a moment to get his bearing, the bard shared what he knows about the shrouded land, speaking of its history and rituals that'll help them in their journey. What interests Aureal the most is the mention of the Missing God. He was about to ask the satyr about it but he refrained, thinking that it'll just put another unnecessary burden on his companion's shoulder.

Even after Krasso's panic attack, Hughin still believed that Pengiros is just a tale told by sailors but he's not wrong in believing that. "It'll surely be a risky journey and it's not certain that we will find anything in this expedition but I believe that any risk is worth the knowledge, especially if we're talking about the discovery of Pengiros. And in the chance that we find that the continent is truly just a myth, Its still a successful journey, don't you all think?" he told the party. "And I choose to believe Krasso over here. I'm sure what he's saying has some sense if it can invoke such feelings." he continued as he looked at the satyr. "Though, just like what Da'Vost said, you will not be forced to come if you're truly against it."

The way her companions held themselves when they got back, relaxed and refreshed, made a smile rise to Invira's lips. They also smelled better, but it felt rude to just go out and say that, so she held her tongue and smiled at them when they came back. Watching Hughin tell them about their new job was a whole...thing. It was worrying, watching Krasso lose his mind for more than a little bit of time. He usually tried to keep up the mood of the group, or at least try and keep some measure of calm so he could play his music. But this. The very idea he might be going again what his Missing God wanted?

It was terrifying to watch, yes, but there was some bit of beauty in it. The others seemed alarmed or annoyed or apathetic. But she knew that fear. Leaving behind her Masters was a terrifying thing. This whole trying to find their stolen things...thing was the first thing she'd ever had to do on her own. And going a continent away? That was beyond what her training called for. She was designed to make decisions for herself, after all. Creatures like her were made to listen, to obey, after all. This was surely too much freedom? But Krasso's faith, and his fear of breaking it, was beautiful. The idea he would reject such a discovery on the basis of faith. That was lovely, wasn't it?

Right?

She sidled up to to Krasso, putting a gentle hand on his arm. "Are you okay, Krasso?" She asked quietly, "I'm scared too. And I was told that fear is smart. It's what's kept us alive. But moving past it is important. And if that means staying here, that's okay. But also. What if your Missing God is just waiting for you? I've heard gods can be kinda...weird about stuff. Or is that wrong?"

Krasso looked back at the concerned faces of his companions indigently. "I am not mad nor paranoid you kids. What we are talking about is the land my people fled from thousands of years ago due to the wrath of those gods angered by my peoples' lone devotion to our King and Guardian. My people still are cursed to this day by the gods of the world with our slavery to the appetites. This is a land not to be trifled with by anyone! Let alone Satyrs!" He could feel his breathing begin to speed up again and air harder to come by. Doing his best to control his breath he thought back to his time with the roaming professors and what advice they would give in a time like this.

"It is not out of fear of damnation that I do not want to go, but an understanding of futility. The Missing God will not condemn me for wandering to the place of our destruction, but I will be victim to the vengeance of the others...As will anyone who steps foot there if the legends are true." He shook his head in regret as he knew the words he was about to say would be his undoing. "But...If we are to make this voyage you will need a priest of the Missing God amongst you if we are to survive on those accursed shores." He began to pace again, this time without breaking out into Satyric hysterics. "I will need those damned goats though to appease the winds and garner their favor once again...Theos knows we will need their help if a Satyr is to cross the vast sea once again." Yes, if this group wanted any chance of survive he would need to accompany them. They could think him mad, delusional, or overzealous but he knew the truth. He knew the dangers that they would face...For he knew the songs of the destruction, of the exile, and the reckoning of return... And he would sing them as they sailed towards the shores of Nysieon.

Both Arnas and Zakala returned from their lodgings upstairs, fully equipped and packed in preparation of the new job. Arnas was practically beaming and looked entirely excited and on board to be a part of such a thing. "I've never been out to sea, this'll be fun!" he said with a large grin on his face. Zakala on the other hand was much more reserved and rather looked less than thrilled to be doing such a job. She looked over to Arnas and chuckled, "Gods Arnas, you look like a child at a candy store." she remarked in a teasing manner.

"Hey, I'll take anything over being stuck in the same place for the rest of my life." he shot back with a smile before making his way over to Krasso and gently slapped his shoulder. "C'mon now, what's the worst that could happen?" he jested to the Satyr.

After entering the inn, Eidunn had used krasso rather loud outburst to slip past the crowd, sitting down at one of the many empty tables. Pengiros, we'll die at sea before we find anything. "Pengiros, what.... hold on." She whispered, staring down at the table, focusing hard on each blemish and stain. It's an old tale, nothing more. "I've never... have I?" Eidunn pressed her head against the table, grimmacing at the headache powerfull enough to split mountains. Once you step onto that boat, there's no turning back, do th- Eidunn slammed her hand down onto the table, a little harder than she had expected. "No, we are not running away again!" She hissed. You'll be the death of us, girl. And as suddenly as it had appeared, the headache was gone. Shaking her head, she rise from her seat, gingerly stepping back towards the group.

"How far is it, how many days at sea?" She asked the room, running through a list of all her possessions in her head. Like you own anything to forget any- " Well, for all it worth, I'm ready to go whenever!"

"If I had to guess, probably a few months we'll be out at sea." Hughin spoke to Eidunn, "There's no telling how long exactly however."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back