• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic ARK: Survival of the Fittest (Closed)

"By the time I've crafted the item I can already place it," Jack shrugged, "But I'll have my implant start making pieces overnight, in the morning between the two of us we should be able to finish the bulk of this thing." A permanent base would be nice. Somewhere solid to fall back to if needed. "We might have to build other bases like this in other places, safe spots to run to if we're being pursued."

"That might be a good idea," Roan thought, "Maybe. we could have multiple bases to hide safely."

With the comment made, Roan pulled his map out and looked at it, "I don't even know where we are.."

They could probably figure out where they were with some exploration and finding of landmarks, but Jack hadn't looked at his map before, either. "It would be helpful if we could see things from above, like a bird," he said as he laid down on the sleeping bag, "We could also probably move a lot faster like that, too."

Roan looked around, noticing a large obelisk, "Hey. maybe thats on the map."

He looked at the map again, noticing the island to the southwest as well. "We're right here."

"On that little beach?", Jack got up to peek around, but in the dark and rain he could hardly see anything outside the radius of the standing torches, he wasn't sure how Roan had picked out the beaches of that nearby island.

"Its kind of dark, but I think that's it." Roan said, squinting to see in the dark, "Pretty sure."

"I guess we'll be able to see more in the morning," Jack shrugged, laying back down. "Until then." He shrugged again and rolled over so that his bruise wasn't facing the floor, and got comfortable to sleep.

Roan laid sown in agreement, waking only when the sounds of a creature outside could be heard getting stuck on the wooden spikes. He sat up, moving to get a better view, "The hell are you?"

The letters above it read, "Wild Male Sarco." Roan hummed, finding its size to be threatening to say the least, "I'll stay up here."

The parasaurs were panicking, bellowing their fear of the crocodilian dinosaur stuck on the spikes and rousing Jack, who himself leaned over the railings to look at the thing. "See what I said?", he asked, laughing at the frustrated reptile. "We're off the ground and surrounded by spikes, it can't get to us!" He pulled out his bow, they'd need to get past it in order to get on with their day, and tried to figure out where to shoot this thing to put it down.

"Those spike sure are doing a number on it too," Roan replied, watching, "I suppose those things live nearby.."

"Then we'll have to deal with that and find a way to repel them," Jack took aim and dropped an arrow into the eye of the sarco, making it hiss in confusion and recoil more than it already was. It was already badly bloodied, barely able to free itself from the spikes. Even if they didn't kill it themselves, it probably wouldn't be long before the damage it received killed it. Sure enough, it waddled away to try and heal and come back later, and died of its injuries before it got out of sight.

"Well, that takes care of that one," Roan said and stretched, "Now how do we get rid of the other ones?"

Jack lifted one of the standing torches to see further in the light morning mist. "I don't see any, but..." He really couldn't see any sarcos in the immediate area. "I do have an idea, though." He pointed at the sarco's corpse and then at the trikes wandering around and not at all concerned with the presence of the predator. "Think a few of those would be a nice deterrent?"

"Hmm?" Roan sound, looking at the trikes. The thrmought for a moment. They would be a good defense if they tamed a few, "We could try and tame some. They could be useful too, for carrying supplies."

"Worth a shot," Jack shrugged and started down the ladder to go dispose of the sarco's corpse, "I've got the narcotics engram, if we can knock one out we can keep it down for a while." The recipe involved rotting meat, which they had some amount of due to a lack of refridgeration available to them. But they'd have to spend time getting things ready. Who knew how many of these trikes they'd need, or how many would get involved once they started on one?

The half-built structure was mostly safe as well, the spike wall had done its job well, taking very little damage, relative to what the thatch structure would have, from the thrashing crocodile, so they could afford to take some time to keep building and preparing before they went to wrangle a boulder-sized beast with a face full of spikes.

"Well, that's great if we can get it down to start with," Roan said as he followed Jack. Thinking for a few moments, Roan got an idea, "We could use out clubs to knock one out. But who knows how the rest of them might react to that..."

There were at least three triceratops on the beach. They didn't seem to fear the sarcosuchus, but who knew how the herd would respond to an attack from the two survivors? "We'll have to play it safe," Jack agreed, "Isolate one, put it down." He opened his engrams, "Or we could wait a few days, build up our resources and defenses. Based on how we've been unlocking things so far, we could be able to unlock some kind of tranquilizer projectile and knock them out from the safety of our platform." Although, he had arrows, he could make narcotics, there was really no reason he couldn't just dip the heads in narcotics and use those in lieu of that projectile. The trikes were large enough that they'd have to be insanely lucky for an arrow to penetrate deeply enough to kill one.

Most of their weapons to use against the creatures was like that, actually. They killed large dinosaurs through the volume of the injuries, not the lethality of any one injury. That would make things very difficult if they ended up chased.

"I think it maybe be smarter to wait it out. Let's get resources and work toward the better engrams for now. Then when we have something useful we can go for one of them." Roan said, "Besides, they're putting a barrier between us and the sarcos so we should be ok if we are careful."

Jack nodded, "Oh, by the way, I unlocked some sturdier clothing engrams," he found the recipe and turned out some clothes made of the sarco's hide. He'd only unlocked the shirt, pants, and gloves so far, but their boots and bandanas would probably serve for a while.

"Huh," He looked the gloves over once he'd put his on and handed Roan a set of the hide armor he'd made. "That hide came off of the sarco, but this doesn't look like sarco skin." It seemed the implants didn't differentiate between types of materials. As long as it fit into a particular category, it became that thing.

"Thanks," Roan said, putting the clothes on, "These seem like they'd be more protective than the plant fiber ones."

He took another look at their engrams, "You should get the boots when you can. I see it being more helpful right now than the gloves or hat."

"The boots and hat were at the bottom of the list," jack shrugged, "But the boots are next for sure. I've got a list of things I need." Climbing back up the ladder to the platform, he was able to get a better look at their surroundings, confirming what Roan had said last night. "Well, look at that." He nodded, then hit the deck when he saw a raptor prowling the beaches of that island.

"What is it?" Roan asked from the bottom of the ladder. He made work of checking over the items in the parasaurs inventories. Berries... berries.. berries... and... Thatch... There wasn't much else, but it could be of use, "Do you think they could be passively tamed?"

"Raptor!", Jack called. The swim that raptor would have had to make in order to get to the two made it not really worth it to come over, especially with the trikes in the area and everything in the water. He didn't know if trikes could be passively tamed like Roan's pego, but maybe they could make the trikes friendlier to them?

Roan's head whipped around at the call of the raptor being spotted, looking out across the beaches, he saw the raptor in question roaming idly on the beach and not really interested in them. They were far enough away that the beast wasn't particularly interested in the two of them or their parasaurs. Roan sighed in relieve knowing it was farther away, "I don't think it's going to bother making that swim."

"Never too careful with them damn things," Jack muttered, slowly getting up once he saw the raptor disappear around a bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back