Opinion Are You Religious? (Discussion about religion because why not!)

Worse. It is a combined force of the religious zealots and the non religious zealots.

I'd rather not burn at the stake today and I trust you would rather not be crucified either. How say we call a truce?
Oh I've never found you on the other side of the aisle.
I'm just waiting for someone to counter someone else's points in a hostile fashion.

Oh I've never found you on the other side of the aisle.
I'm just waiting for someone to counter someone else's points in a hostile fashion.
BUT I WASTED AN HOUR AND A HALF OF MY EXISTENCE ON EARTH DEBATING MR. M' FEDORA NECKBEARD WHO PROBABLY WILL NEVER RETURN

I believe that there is a Creator and that all life is special. All has been created with a purpose in mind and we create our own destiny. All religions have both good and evil teachings and it is our duty to pick the ones that are right for us.
I also believe that there are multiple lifetimes in which a soul must develop in order to fulfill its purpose.

I was raised a Christian - partly non denominational and partly in the Southern Baptist church, with some relatives following Jewish or Russian Orthodox teachings. My great grandmother is a Russian witch.

I started talking to random spirits when I was 7. Some of the more spiritually connected people around me started spreading rumors that I was demon possessed and/or a witch... mostly because I smacked Sunday School teachers so hard.

I absolutely hated the things I was being taught - that women were weaker vessels, that a man must always be dominant, and all that other bullshit. One of my aunts was a young atheist and feminist and told me how a woman deserves to be treated and that you are as strong as you choose to be. That set the foundation for what would happen a few years down the line.

When I was molested by one of my own relatives, my mom told me that it would be wrong to tell and start a scandal. . She also told me that God was okay with that and the horrible treatment I and my siblings all had to deal with because of my parents' mental issues.

I was kicked out of a church for leaving my parents' house at 18. I had been told that the church was supposed to help those in need of support, like God would have us do. These people betrayed me on such a deep level that I backed away from the entire Church for a while. After two more experiences with Christian establishments, I can say they were a waste of my life. I always get a hostile feel from them and have come to the conclusion that they only want me for my tithes.

The Church screwed me over in a way nobody else ever did. I became more suicidal than I already was and needed to talk to a cosmetology student for a while. He told me that my acceptance was my strength and those judgy people didn't deserve me.

I discovered a lot more about myself and the world after I met a young Wiccan witch. She taught me about past lives and helped me accept myself, appearance, sexuality, gender, and all. She gave me the confidence to pursue my nursing career and has become the most important person in my life.

For those who read this post or skipped to the end - I am a witch and I am spiritual and learning.

Reading this makes my heart heavy and sad that there are people like what you described, provided it is true of course (Some people make these things up on the internet for attention, so please, please forgive me if I am wrong and I do not want to come across as rude or arrogant, it is the last thing I want) I believe, as well as my family, my congregation and pastor, that God loves everyone no matter their skin color, their appearance, their attractions towards others, or who they are, and so much more. God has bestowed upon everyone a unique set of talents and people must use these to their best ability. While I see that you have chosen a path different than mine and most other people (and personally I do feel slightly disappointed as I feel that it takes time to find the right congregation and pastor/priest and that you did not have fortunate circumstances (again this is personal, please do not take offense and ohmygosh I have parentheses in parentheses ) ), I wish you the best of luck and hope you know that people will always care for you, whether from up above or down here on this little blue ball we call Earth.
Again, if I happen to offend your I will retract what was offensive or this reply altogether.

Can we not all just put down the pitchforks, torches and such? I would hate to see Sano, Jay, or Rachael get hurt. I like those people.

And now I like T TheRockInception for seeing peepz as I do. Respect my friend.
tumblr_inline_ohzrk7fNAk1rawo51_540.jpg

woosh
you know have a follower
thank you frien

Oh sweet! Thanks! But you're not a follower... I prefer the term, friendly stalker... Which you will gain one soon afte I post this!

-Unenthusiastic woo face- ^(•-•)^

Hey there motherfucker, let me talk to you about the best religion in the world - McConnelism. McConnelism originated somewhere in Colorado during the Revolutionary War, after the Battle of Brandywine Creek. The battle lasted for eleven hours. During this time, Private Myles McConnel was in a platoon obliterated by a group of British hussars. He was fleeing the scene when a hussar rushed up behind him. He [Myles] undid the bayonet from his musket and jumped, slicing the hussar's jugular. He then grabbed onto the horse's reins and dragged along the dirt for a bit before getting his balance and hopping atop the horse. He then fled to modern-day Colorado. There, he met with the Cheyenne people and assimilated into their culture. He lived with the Cheyenne until one day, his tribe was sacked by an Apache war band. When McConnel pulled out a flintlock pistol and shot one of the Apaches in the chest, falling to the floor sputtering blood, the raid halted.

The Apaches gathered around McConnel on horses and on foot, tomahawks, spears, and swords drawn. Next to McConnel was Viho, the chieftain of McConnel's tribe's youngest, and now last living, son. The Apaches dropped their weapons as McConnel's eyes darted around at the Natives, his pistol in hand, flicking from person to the next post-haste. When one of them began to speak broken English, McConnel was starstruck. He talked of a Catholicism tribe in the mountain that had found a man who was adorned in the clothes that Jesus was thousands of years ago. McConnel was astonished when he heard how detailed the Apache's explanation of the site was, so it peaked his interest and followed along. When the Apaches took McConnel and his then-apprentice Viho to investigate the site, they were welcomed with luxurious foods. Chocolate, coffee, boar meat, apples, and brown rice. After the feast, horns blew and the fires roared. The Native girls danced around a brazier while the men beat on their drums.

Then, in a puff of smoke, a man emerged, but not a man from the tribe, a white man in pastor's clothing. A crucifix hung around his neck. He was a Christian pastor. McConnel couldn't believe his eyes. He stared at the man head-to-toe, his mouth agape. The pastor was in fine silk clothing, well groomed, and youthful. No older than twenty-four. He also had a Holy Bible in mint condition. McConnel rubbed his eyes thrice over, as well as having Viho pinch him to assure him that this wasn't a mirage.

"Greetings, Myles," the pastor said. This perplexed McConnel even further, seeing as how even Viho didn't know his first name. "H-how do you know my name?" The pastor didn't manifest words, instead, he bowed his head and chuckled, "Ah, young and naïve. The Lord doesn't expect me to introduce the Second Coming of Jesus without knowing the beholder's first name. The Lord warned me that the King was a sinner, so I fled from England and made my way here, to the Americas. I traveled east from New York a few months ago. The Father told me that here, in this mountainous region, I would find the Apache. They would not kill me if I brought silk, and so I did. When they met me, I locked eyes with Nantan, the chieftain. He offered me peace so long as I baptized him and his children and spread the gospel. He spoke this in perfect English. And so I did as the Lord commanded me, and I baptized Nantan and his two children, Nascha and Kuruk. Fully fledged Catholics, they shed their animal skin rags and emerged in gentleman's clothing, Nascha was in a dress, of course. I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. The Lord continued to come to me in premonitions, telling me of your arrival. He said that you would carry a tool to crack the sky in two, a thunderous roar that would make the mightiest lion turn tail and run. When Itza-Chu and the rest of the band were prowling to raid the tribe, they heard your flintlock pistol. When the ball of your pistol exited the backside of Illanipi's back, they knew you were the Chosen One, the Jesus Incarnate."

McConnel became nauseous with this superfluous amount of information. He stood up, stared at the pastor for a moment, then glanced at Viho, and then ran out of the cave. McConnel would be found the next morning nude in the branches of the highest tree. Itza-Chu and the other Apache Catholics brought down McConnel and dressed him in the ceremonial robes of Jesus Christ. When the pastor came into McConnel's chamber, he was being washed down by a group of girls, gently scrubbing his skin, styling his hair, and trimming his beard. The Pastor dismissed the girls and spoke to McConnel, "Dear Lord, you look like you did thousands of years ago. As if the ink of the Holy Bible came from the pages and turned to flesh. Your people are waiting outside. They are armed and prepared to defend Civilization against Muslims and Demons," the Pastor said, very enthusiastic about the killing of Muslims and Demons part.

McConnel kept his eyes closed and didn't say a word. He would feel around his person to find a pair of shears one of the girls left when they were dismissed. Within a matter of seconds, the shears were lodged in the Pastor's throat, blood spraying from the incision like a fountain. Bathed in blood, McConnel grabbed a torch from a sconce and paraded outside to see a crowd of Apaches dressed in Englishman's clothing, yet still wielding their primitive weapons. McConnel pulled out the flintlock pistol and shot himself in the head.

Moral of the story, just because they look like Jesus, doesn't mean that they aren't homicidal.

Reading this makes my heart heavy and sad that there are people like what you described, provided it is true of course (Some people make these things up on the internet for attention, so please, please forgive me if I am wrong and I do not want to come across as rude or arrogant, it is the last thing I want) I believe, as well as my family, my congregation and pastor, that God loves everyone no matter their skin color, their appearance, their attractions towards others, or who they are, and so much more. God has bestowed upon everyone a unique set of talents and people must use these to their best ability. While I see that you have chosen a path different than mine and most other people (and personally I do feel slightly disappointed as I feel that it takes time to find the right congregation and pastor/priest and that you did not have fortunate circumstances (again this is personal, please do not take offense and ohmygosh I have parentheses in parentheses ) ), I wish you the best of luck and hope you know that people will always care for you, whether from up above or down here on this little blue ball we call Earth.
Again, if I happen to offend your I will retract what was offensive or this reply altogether.

We all have a specific path that we must find and follow to achieve our destiny. And we all stand at different stages of that path. God bless.

It doesn't matter what the majority may or may not believe. This is coming from the bible, the historical account of events related to the religion. It's just as silly as saying we have a spiritual part of ourselves that transcends our finite bodies(soul) or that there's an eternal lake of fire(hell).

Why is one silly belief more valid than another when they come from the source of the religion?
What makes these silly beliefs, exactly?

Compared to what was prominent at the time (such as paganism), Christianity was basically the only religion that encouraged kindness and friendship towards others and the like. Yes, I do believe that you can be an atheist or agnostic and still be a nice and warm person. I also genuinely believe that, however Christianity (especially organized worship) regularly instills these values as a reminder or to make you reflect on, say, what you've done the past week or so.

I love your post but I take issue with this part, because some pagan religions DID already have this sort of thing.
For example, the Ancient Egyptians had Ma'at (or Mayet, depending on what books you're reading). Their ancient philsophers were preaching similar things as Christanity does -- only much sooner than when Christanity came around.
(Ptahhotep comes to mind, specifically, but there were other tidbits you can find in a BOTD somewhere -- usually the deceased saying "I didn't do this, therefore, it's good in the eyes of the gods and it upheld Ma'at".) There's some instances where it specifies kindness and generosity towards the community.

Zoroastrianism, something I'm not quite as familar with as with Ancient Egypt, heavily influenced Judaism and it has some similar beliefs.

Again, love your post, but I don't feel that the part I bolded is accurate and is doing these other religions justice.

What makes these silly beliefs, exactly?
Because it would be awesome if I was actually wrong. I'd love to see a flying 3 headed monster fly around in service of an all mighty creator. Just as much as I want to marry asuna. But both are just fantasy. The difference is I don't believe that if I am faithful to my Waifu, that I'll meet her after I die.

At the end of the day. As fantastical as these things are. Beliefs are subjective and malleable. Beliefs have no limits because they aren't based on fact. Beliefs are silly when they start reaching the realm of fantasy and are held as fact because, "muh beliefs".

Edit: I should also clarify that my silly beliefs comment also takes root in the Bible itself. I find a belief sillier than heaven or hell, when it deviates from the source cuz once again. "Muh beliefs".

Last edited:
Because it would be awesome if I was actually wrong. I'd love to see a flying 3 headed monster fly around in service of an all mighty creator. Just as much as I want to marry asuna. But both are just fantasy. The difference is I don't believe that if I am faithful to my Waifu, that I'll meet her after I die.

At the end of the day. As fantastical as these things are. Beliefs are subjective and malleable. Beliefs have no limits because they aren't based on fact. Beliefs are silly when they start reaching the realm of fantasy and are held as fact because, "muh beliefs".

Edit: I should also clarify that my silly beliefs comment also takes root in the Bible itself. I find a belief sillier than heaven or hell, when it deviates from the source cuz once again. "Muh beliefs".
I'm confused. So anything that seems fantastical must be fantasy, is that what you are implying?

I'm confused. So anything that seems fantastical must be fantasy, is that what you are implying?
Maybe we should go about this a different way. Am I wrong to say that anyone is not a fundementalist is sillier than the actual fundementalists who worship a fantasy god king?

Because this has been the source of our disagreements this whole time. I the non believer think that if you can just believe in whatever you want, that it just makes Christianity look sillier. Which is a euphemism for stupidier.

And you're asking why do I think it's silly. The answer has been there since your first rebuttal and hasn't been resolve since neither of us has changed our mind.

As long as you can deviate from the Bible and just cherry pick what you want to believe in. The religion itself is just silly.

Maybe we should go about this a different way. Am I wrong to say that anyone is not a fundementalist is sillier than the actual fundementalists who worship a fantasy god king?

Because this has been the source of our disagreements this whole time. I the non believer think that if you can just believe in whatever you want, that it just makes Christianity look sillier. Which is a euphemism for stupidier.

And you're asking why do I think it's silly. The answer has been there since your first rebuttal and hasn't been resolve since neither of us has changed our mind.

As long as you can deviate from the Bible and just cherry pick what you want to believe in. The religion itself is just silly.
But that's where you are wrong about christianity, and many other religions if not all actual religions, as a whole. You CAN'T just believe in whatever you want. To begin with, religion is a an attempt to understand reality. Hence the comparison to science, which also is one, as is philosohy and I imagine other things. We can't just cherry pick whatever, and you can't put religion in a box that says "meaningless" or "silly" just because it is capable of changing. Because you and I and everyone else are not omniscient. If religion was immutable, and if there were not different interpretations then it WOULD be silly. Because our religious beliefs have to be actual beliefs. Have to be things we can actually understand as facts. If my experience diverges from yours, which it obvioulsy will, then naturally the things I know will differ from the things you know and therefore my filter for what can or not be believed in will be different. Which is pretty much the opposite of your accusations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back