Opinion Are You Religious? (Discussion about religion because why not!)

Captain Gabriel

Three Thousand Club
Personally, I was. Then, my dear friend (which I will not mention since they want to stay out of it) made me realize all kinds of religion are pure bullshit (don't get me wrong, I ain't hating on religious people, but on religion in general).

We can exclude Buddhism. Buddhism is cool. It's just the story about a dude that sat under a tree for a long time and went "Oh dude I realized the key to super ultra relaxation!" That's chill.

The religions I disdain the most are two:
  1. Christianity - the one I was involved into.
  2. Islam - the one where terrorists supposedly come from.
There are a big number of reasons as to why I left Christianity:
  • The Bible - Seriously? Who needs a thousand metaphors to figure out you shouldn't be a dick? (Thanks, Bo Burnham). And let's not talk about the contradictions! God is supposedly an omnipotent being that knows what was, what is, and what will.
    • Adam And Eve - THEN WHY IN THE FUCK did our dear All-Father (do you guys call him that? Or is that Odin from the Nordic Mythology?) put the Tree of Knowledge if he ALREADY KNEW IN ADVANCE that Adam And StEve would commit sin and eat the apple off of it?
    • Lucifer - Omnipotent beings don't make mistakes. THey're just not able to. Unless they want to. And so, why the fuck was Lucifer (or Samael, if you're that nit-picky) psychologically able to rebel? How did God create him knowing his mindset would make him rebel? He must've created Lucifer with the intent of him rebelling.
    • Hell - No matter how much you rape, kill, or destroy in life -- no temporary crime or sin deserves PERMANENT punishment in the form of torment. To allow this to happen and be capable of stopping it is to be evil. According to this large book I have on my shelf called, and I quote "The Old Testament", Hell is eternal. Eternal punishment means Permanent punishment. Temporary crimes do not amount to permanent punishment. It is an injustice. And injustice, by strict definition, is evil. And don't go around saying that Satan rules hell because that's not true mate. Satan is simply the warden. Our friend God is the maker and rule-giver!
    • Heaven - Is there free-will in heaven? If no, then what a shit place. If yes, then there's sin. Sin originates from free-will. That means Heaven is sinful and Heaven is flawed.
  • Homosexuality - Yeah, I'm looking at you, you gay-haters. Homosexuality is found in over 1000 animal species. Wanna know what is NOT found in animals? Chastity. That's right. Priests and Nuns do something against nature, and thus against God's will! Why would God create something that he doesn't approve of? He is either not omnipotent and that caused a mistake...or he is evil and wanted gays to suffer by putting them on Earth, pointing his finger at them and saying to every religious person that they're bad because they like people of their own biological sex.
  • Old Testament vs New Testament - In the Old Testament, God killed over 10 million people. In the New Testament, he's an all-loving entity that forgives all. He forgives all? Yeah, right. Explain Hell, purgatory, and the fact that he wasn't so all-loving before. The Flood. Remember that? Exactly. He was angry at people because they were using their own free will to do stuff he didn't want them to do (mind stopped working? Yep! Mine did. Had to reboot it a couple of times). (Psst, Satan killed no more than 15 people in the Bible).
Anyway, if you still believe in God after all of this, post your counter-arguments and I will be more than happy to debunk them to make you realize the truth.

You're not hating on anyone and yet your entire argument is a vitriol-laced criticism.

Hm.

I see a flaw in that assessment.

"Bullshit" being a key word to point out, just to start. "Debunk" is another.

You're not hating on anyone and yet your entire argument is a vitriol-laced criticism.

Hm.

I see a flaw in that assessment.

"Bullshit" being a key word to point out, just to start. "Debunk" is another.
Gordon Ramsey!
He's a nice person but he swears a lot.
I'm just like him.
I like to use swear words to make people think I'm angry when I'm not. I'm just behind the screen, laughing my ass off.

Gordon Ramsey!
He's a nice person but he swears a lot.
I'm just like him.
I like to use swear words to make people think I'm angry when I'm not. I'm just behind the screen, laughing my ass off.
When you call someone's beliefs "bullshit", you're not just cursing. You're bein insulting.

Just as if I were to say you're being a trolling dick, it's not just words. Don't be rude. Understand that you're not putting forth a debate here, you're attacking.

When you call someone's beliefs "bullshit", you're not just cursing. You're bein insulting.
Well, you MUST admit that 99% of the stuff that's written in the Bible can't be called "truthful" or "realistic" can we?
Talking snakes...
Magical apples...
Super floods...
ONE OF EACH ANIMAL SPECIES into a SINGLE WOODEN ARK?
Yeah right.

Just as if I were to say you're being a trolling dick, it's not just words. Don't be rude. Understand that you're not putting forth a debate here, you're attacking.
I don't mind mate, say whatcha want
I already want to kill myself
thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

First off, I am Wiccan.

Second, I agree with CastoffCaptain CastoffCaptain . It's alright to not believe in something, and it's okay to have reason's why you dont believe in that something. But reading your post, I see it as attacking.

Well, you MUST admit...

No, I must not. No one has to admit anything that you mentioned happened or didn't. I was raised as a Christian and I have my own issues with it, hence why I moved away from it. But really, this thread has an attack feel to it. Especially towards those of a Christian belief.

Yes, I am. I am a pagan but I don't follow a set path (like orthodoxy), so I am solitary.

First off, I am Wiccan.

Second, I agree with CastoffCaptain CastoffCaptain . It's alright to not believe in something, and it's okay to have reason's why you dont believe in that something. But reading your post, I see it as attacking.

No, I must not. No one has to admit anything that you mentioned happened or didn't. I was raised as a Christian and I have my own issues with it, hence why I moved away from it. But really, this thread has an attack feel to it. Especially towards those of a Christian belief.
Because I hate Christianity with all my heart for the shit it has brought to my life.
Y'know, being rrrr---- let's not talk about that

Implying this thread hasn't been done to death and gotten shut down every time

Kek

Let's see where the r/atheism train stops after a few pages

IMG_5213.JPG

wow...this is a scary place....and umm... I'm Christian. If you have any questions or anything like that you can ask me if you like...*gulp*
Alright, what do you think of Ezekiel's account of angels and the seraphim flying around god? That dude is an amazing story teller.

Alright, what do you think of Ezekiel's account of angels and the seraphim flying around god? That dude is an amazing story teller.
I think it's kinda crazy that a Seriphim is basically some kinda crazy, winged fire elemental that wields flaming swords. I think the Bible is probably where we get a ton of mythical creatures.

Err...honestly other than that I don't know a ton about the story off the top of my head....I should probably read something today. I've been lazy about that today.

I think it's kinda crazy that a Seriphim is basically some kinda crazy, winged fire elemental that wields flaming swords. I think the Bible is probably where we get a ton of mythical creatures.
Dude the fact that it has 3 heads, flying in the air engulfed in Fire while having flaming jewels. It's so awesome

Last edited:
Christianity - the one I was involved into.
So, wait, you disdain something because you were involved in it? AKA you disdain yourself or are you just admiting you're fundamentlaly biased?

There are a big number of reasons as to why I left Christianity:
  • The Bible - Seriously? Who needs a thousand metaphors to figure out you shouldn't be a dick? (Thanks, Bo Burnham). And let's not talk about the contradictions! God is supposedly an omnipotent being that knows what was, what is, and what will.
    • Adam And Eve - THEN WHY IN THE FUCK did our dear All-Father (do you guys call him that? Or is that Odin from the Nordic Mythology?) put the Tree of Knowledge if he ALREADY KNEW IN ADVANCE that Adam And StEve would commit sin and eat the apple off of it?
    • Lucifer - Omnipotent beings don't make mistakes. THey're just not able to. Unless they want to. And so, why the fuck was Lucifer (or Samael, if you're that nit-picky) psychologically able to rebel? How did God create him knowing his mindset would make him rebel? He must've created Lucifer with the intent of him rebelling.
    • Hell - No matter how much you rape, kill, or destroy in life -- no temporary crime or sin deserves PERMANENT punishment in the form of torment. To allow this to happen and be capable of stopping it is to be evil. According to this large book I have on my shelf called, and I quote "The Old Testament", Hell is eternal. Eternal punishment means Permanent punishment. Temporary crimes do not amount to permanent punishment. It is an injustice. And injustice, by strict definition, is evil. And don't go around saying that Satan rules hell because that's not true mate. Satan is simply the warden. Our friend God is the maker and rule-giver!
    • Heaven - Is there free-will in heaven? If no, then what a shit place. If yes, then there's sin. Sin originates from free-will. That means Heaven is sinful and Heaven is flawed.
  • Homosexuality - Yeah, I'm looking at you, you gay-haters. Homosexuality is found in over 1000 animal species. Wanna know what is NOT found in animals? Chastity. That's right. Priests and Nuns do something against nature, and thus against God's will! Why would God create something that he doesn't approve of? He is either not omnipotent and that caused a mistake...or he is evil and wanted gays to suffer by putting them on Earth, pointing his finger at them and saying to every religious person that they're bad because they like people of their own biological sex.
  • Old Testament vs New Testament - In the Old Testament, God killed over 10 million people. In the New Testament, he's an all-loving entity that forgives all. He forgives all? Yeah, right. Explain Hell, purgatory, and the fact that he wasn't so all-loving before. The Flood. Remember that? Exactly. He was angry at people because they were using their own free will to do stuff he didn't want them to do (mind stopped working? Yep! Mine did. Had to reboot it a couple of times). (Psst, Satan killed no more than 15 people in the Bible).
Oh yes the good old arguments that show complete ignorance regarding what is ACTUALLY BELIEVED by people of faith. At least as far as we catholics go, I can't speak for protestants because those are more for an individual style of belief rather than a unified one.

The Bible - Seriously? Who needs a thousand metaphors to figure out you shouldn't be a dick? (Thanks, Bo Burnham). And let's not talk about the contradictions! God is supposedly an omnipotent being that knows what was, what is, and what will.
It's called time and history. The things you call "not being a dick" today were in fact majorly implemented BY christanity. It's influence shifted many cultural norms and was at the base of many later philosophies not to mention providing the education necessary for actual cultural progress. And while the past deeds of something don't really apply to the value of it's descendants much, it does show just how much work was needed for what you think is "common sense" today.

As for the contradictions 99.999% of them are only contradictions when you know nothing about the bible. You'd think people claiming to be more intelligent would be mentally capable of realizing that maybe the average chirtstian doesn't actually believe in a talking snake but understands the bible is obviously a 2000 year old book written in the poetry-centric style of the time, but I guess that's too much to ask.

To give an example, that God can't be those threethings idea. Well, such a being would want the best possible result. The best possible result is one of order but freedom. So while God could interviene , doing so would leave us WORSE than the current situation.
In the first place, why do you oh mighty, think that you can tell that the world is any worse than it could be? By the laws of causality, everything in this universe is connected. Yet if I asked you what's gonna happen tomorrow you wouldn't be able to tell me. So how do you expect to understand the actions and choices of a being like God? What gives you the right to claim a contradiction in which you are forgetting virtually every variable?

All of these are a matter of what I just explained. Free will. Humans are given free will because their happiness would be meaningless without it. And as such, God intervienes very little. What ,meaning would have a miracle if it was an everyday occurrence? None. But if God revealed Himself in all His might, there would be no choice, it would be too overwhelming. You can think of it like tickling. It's not that it can't happen, or that you can't laugh without being tickled, but if you are tickled, you WILL laugh. Like it or not. Likewise belief is something that is better when done by choice, happiness is only menaingful if it comes by choice.

Second, Hell and Heaven are also choices. God doesn't send you to either, he invites you to Heaven, but the blindness of sin and corruption can make you yet reject God. And from the moment the choice is made, you are in eternity. Which is often mistaken with forever. But that is very wrong. It does not mena forever, it means an absence of time. It is as much as thousand years as it is a second.

Again, this is Catholic belief. I didn't even delve into the really complicated stuff. In fact, these are things I know by being interested , I didn't even need the required education of priesthood to understand this much.

Homosexuality - Yeah, I'm looking at you, you gay-haters. Homosexuality is found in over 1000 animal species. Wanna know what is NOT found in animals? Chastity. That's right. Priests and Nuns do something against nature, and thus against God's will! Why would God create something that he doesn't approve of? He is either not omnipotent and that caused a mistake...or he is evil and wanted gays to suffer by putting them on Earth, pointing his finger at them and saying to every religious person that they're bad because they like people of their own biological sex.
First of all this "over 1000 animals species" is blown way out of proportion and is 9/10 plain untrue. The studies that claim it are extremely faulty and unscientific, many misunderstand breeding mistakes such as the case of "gay penguins" with actually being attracted to the same gender and we can't just ignore that genetical errors are a thing. Furthermore, even if this wasn't true 1000 species is a hair thread compared to the wig shop that is the animal kingdom with billions of species being known and more being found all the time.

this isn't to say gays don't have rights but this whole idea that it is somehow normal in nature is , as you put it, bullshit. what is it exactly? To be honest, it puzzles me too. it can't be genetic otherwise there wouldn't be so many, and it's not clearly a choice or a psychological issue. The traits of it reassemble more of a kink if you ask me and again it's ok to be in a gay relationship. It's ok to get one fo those government "marriages". But it does go agains the fundmanetals of both biological reproduction and christian marriage, so yeah we don't want gays married in our searches. We don't have anythign them in person, but you don't need to have anything against a kid to not want them spitting on the guest food. It's the behavior in context that is the problem, not any of it separated.

Old Testament vs New Testament - In the Old Testament, God killed over 10 million people. In the New Testament, he's an all-loving entity that forgives all. He forgives all? Yeah, right. Explain Hell, purgatory, and the fact that he wasn't so all-loving before. The Flood. Remember that? Exactly. He was angry at people because they were using their own free will to do stuff he didn't want them to do (mind stopped working? Yep! Mine did. Had to reboot it a couple of times). (Psst, Satan killed no more than 15 people in the Bible
Again, this goes back to how the Bible was written. You don't have to believe in those things to be a christian mainly because there is one group of chrisitans in total that takes the bible literally. I believe their name was fundamentalists or somethign like that. And they are, for obvious reasons, very easy to make fun of. And to criticize. But your average tomato quality shoudl not be the tomato rotting on the shelves in the corner because someone left it there by accident. It should either be taken from the actual middle or from a careful consideration of all the elements. And that's being generous. You cannot attack a belief unless you can debunk it's most well-constructed and intelligent arguments and people.

In the end of the day, many claim to debunk christianity without even knowing what it ACTUALLY says. Without bothering to give it a second of thought or go for anything esle than low-hanging fruit. You claim my beliefs and those of billions who knows if more than have been and passed away were all bullshit, yet you inflate your egos just because you can swim in the kiddie pool now while we are watching from the ocean. There are many inteliigent and well-versed atheists I know and can respect, but the behavior you have shown here is downright bottom of the barrel. I suggest you do some research and actually think about these things carefully next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back