• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Anybody interested in some hard sci-fi?

I agree that an incentive to revisit systems would be nice, to see how they grow while we're gone and interact with those people and cultures more. I think the most obvious incentive to revisit planets and systems is building relations with local civilizations, getting in better standing with them so that they'll be willing to share knowledge with us and help us out when we need it. And yes, very few ships have access to a warp drive and so we have that advantage and hence a reason why people may want to work with us, as long as we had the available energy.

Well, for this case we'd still have to stick around a certain cluster of stars for a good while, and at that point it's possible that one of the local stars will request us to aid them in making a coalition of systems by acting as an envoy of people and goods.
Setting a relay of stations to propel photon sails continuosly would be possible with anything that can exit a star's orbit, but a 0.95 c warp drive would speed the construction a lot. And once you have that relay set up, ships could probably reach speeds similar to the warp drive itself, since laser sails are independent of fuel requirements, only the max energy budget of a system.
Another bonus of interstellar relays is that you can also use it to clear a hole trough the interstellar medium to make debree and hull deterioration a nonexistant problem. Hell, you might as well go a step ahead and turn that hole into a river of usefull elements like oxigen and hidrogen flowing from one system to another, that ships can sail with and also scoop up in case they run out of basic supplies.

This would only be immediately feasible for a close cluster of stars, so the total travel time shouldnt last more than a century or two. And after that, we'll have not just a few stars, but a whole interstellar federation backing us up!

Well, for this case we'd still have to stick around a certain cluster of stars for a good while, and at that point it's possible that one of the local stars will request us to aid them in making a coalition of systems by acting as an envoy of people and goods.
Setting a relay of stations to propel photon sails continuosly would be possible with anything that can exit a star's orbit, but a 0.95 c warp drive would speed the construction a lot. And once you have that relay set up, ships could probably reach speeds similar to the warp drive itself, since laser sails are independent of fuel requirements, only the max energy budget of a system.
Another bonus of interstellar relays is that you can also use it to clear a hole trough the interstellar medium to make debree and hull deterioration a nonexistant problem. Hell, you might as well go a step ahead and turn that hole into a river of usefull elements like oxigen and hidrogen flowing from one system to another, that ships can sail with and also scoop up in case they run out of basic supplies.

This would only be immediately feasible for a close cluster of stars, so the total travel time shouldnt last more than a century or two. And after that, we'll have not just a few stars, but a whole interstellar federation backing us up!
I'd personally prefer if we started out with not very many affiliations or relations yet. I think it would be more fun to build those ties throughout the course of the RP, although I'm not entirely against having some backstory with another empire.

I'd personally prefer if we started out with not very many affiliations or relations yet. I think it would be more fun to build those ties throughout the course of the RP, although I'm not entirely against having some backstory with another empire.

Sure. We can help a interstellar government rise during the story, it doesnt have to be in the backstory...

Sure. We can help a interstellar government rise during the story, it doesnt have to be in the backstory...
Alright, this could actually be our first mission of sorts. We'll start out in a system ruled by the united government of the Zu'im species. The Zu'im mostly resemble baseline humans but with one major difference: they are symbiotic with their AIs. Each Zu'im is actually two individuals: the Zu'im itself and an AI that uses cyborg parts on the Zu'im as its home. The Zu'im were a highly social race, believing in cooperation and friendship. They needed interaction so much and so constantly that they developed AIs to share them and be perfectly tailored to the individual. Whenever you interact with a Zu'im, you're actually interacting with two highly in tune individuals. The Zu'im, being social and cooperative, wish to bring their neighbour star systems into a mutually beneficial partnership, but they don't have a huge industrial base and so hire and utilize interstellar ships that pass through instead of building their own. The whole ordeal of aiding the Zu'im in building their Federation would be the first arc, and then we'd see where we went from there.

Alright, this could actually be our first mission of sorts. We'll start out in a system ruled by the united government of the Zu'im species. The Zu'im mostly resemble baseline humans but with one major difference: they are symbiotic with their AIs. Each Zu'im is actually two individuals: the Zu'im itself and an AI that uses cyborg parts on the Zu'im as its home. The Zu'im were a highly social race, believing in cooperation and friendship. They needed interaction so much and so constantly that they developed AIs to share them and be perfectly tailored to the individual. Whenever you interact with a Zu'im, you're actually interacting with two highly in tune individuals. The Zu'im, being social and cooperative, wish to bring their neighbour star systems into a mutually beneficial partnership, but they don't have a huge industrial base and so hire and utilize interstellar ships that pass through instead of building their own. The whole ordeal of aiding the Zu'im in building their Federation would be the first arc, and then we'd see where we went from there.
They sound like the sort of people that would use the pronoun "we" self-referentially.

This is a bit off-topic, but how well would a xenozoologist/zenobotanist character from a backwater system with an aversion to robots fit?

They sound like the sort of people that would use the pronoun "we" self-referentially.

This is a bit off-topic, but how well would a xenozoologist/zenobotanist character from a backwater system with an aversion to robots fit?
That sounds very interesting, I like it! Is his aversion only to physical bots or does is extend to bodiless AIs as well, because if it extends to AIs he'll have a lot of trouble on the ship seeing as a lot of its crew is AI.

That sounds very interesting, I like it! Is his aversion only to physical bots or does is extend to bodiless AIs as well, because if it extends to AIs he'll have a lot of trouble on the ship seeing as a lot of its crew is AI.
I pictured him as sort of being a "biological chauvinist" and he basically thinks that biological things are better than machines, like they have some sort of inherent quality that makes them better. He would probably describe it as a soul. He doesn't necessarily hate bots or AI, but he thinks they're just very smart tools and doesn't think of them as entities with agency.

I pictured him as sort of being a "biological chauvinist" and he basically thinks that biological things are better than machines, like they have some sort of inherent quality that makes them better. He would probably describe it as a soul. He doesn't necessarily hate bots or AI, but he thinks they're just very smart tools and doesn't think of them as entities with agency.
Sounds good, still might get into squabbles with the ship's AIs but if he's useful they'll keep him around

Well, I think we should move this discussion to a RP'ing thread, and leave this one alone so people can see it and not be any more confused about the setting than now. I forgot that we're still in the Interest Check subforum.

*cough*

SHAZAAM!

LMbhPXI.png

Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch Shireling Shireling Tarmagon Tarmagon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back