• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Anybody interested in some hard sci-fi?

Fishman Lord

ULTIMATE AI GOD
I've been interested in doing an RP based on real science and plausibility for a while. I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, but its science is really just plain fantasy. A lot of RPN's sci-fi leans more towards that kind of setting, so I thought it would be fun to try a setting where proven or theoretical science were the rules. No humanoid aliens, no made up physics or rules, and perhaps even following the rule that nothing travels faster than light.

One idea I've had revolves around the descendants of humanity and Earth exploring the cosmos tens of thousands of years in the future. Thanks to genetic engineering and cybernetic enhancement and the like, the original human genome is rare to near extinct, with descendants with everything from blue skin to extra limbs to more bizarre changes dominating. These descendants of mankind spread among the stars in great interstellar ships, some of them using cryogenics or specially induced comas using far-advanced medicine to reach their destinations in their lifetime, others using generation ships despite knowing that they won't live to see their destination, while others still simply don't care because life extension means they can survive thousands of years and a 200 year journey is but a sliver. Earth-descended civilizations would be fragmented, with only small groups of close stars being able to support interstellar civilizations. Civilizations would rediscover eachother then lose contact and repeat the cycle because of extremely long contact times. There would be no unity. Aliens would exist, but their civilizations would be fragmented just like our own, with each system hosting its own unique and disconnected civilization. They would be strange and foreign to us, truly alien. Some might be at a Stone Age, while others might be so hyper-advanced as to be incomprehensible to beings such as us. Some of the more divergent and strange earth-descended groups would be just as foreign as aliens.

This isn't the only setting I have, but it illustrates my general idea for hard science. I'm open to any other ideas as long as they're within the realm of plausibility. I hope you're interested!

Edit:

Alright, so we've solidified a lot of the setting and the RP. Here's the long-term timeline:

2093 C.E.: first human-level fully sapient AIs developed.

2150 C.E.: at this point there are small permanent colonies on the Moon and Mars.

2275 C.E.: first probe reaches Proxima Centauri, Proxima Centauri b found to be a lifeless mercury-like tidally locked planet

2600 C.E.: colony ship launched to Proxima Centauri b

2600-4000 C.E.: humanity slowly spreads to nearby stars

4600 C.E.: first Dyson Sphere completed around Barnard's Star, used as a Matrioshka Brain by a hyper-AI

4600-10,000 C.E.: continued expansion by humanity and other intelligents from Earth. Several planets with non-intelligent life have been found and a few alien transmissions have been confirmed.

12,155 C.E.: Sol and most of the systems within 30 light-years form the Inner Order, a powerful and utopian interstellar empire led by several Matrioshka Brain AIs.

12,941 C.E.: first alien civilization actually visited, an Information Age civilization that had just created sapient AIs. They soon mingle and mix with Earthen civilization and are generally considered part of the Earthen Expanse despite being true aliens.

13,000-60,000 C.E: a ton of shit happens obviously, but human ships trying to reach the Galactic Core find that it is already almost entirely inhabited by a hyper-advanced civilization of Matrioshka Brains. It is unknown if there are any current biological citizens as while the alien AIs were friendly enough they didn't allow anyone in very far and give little information. Earthen sapients have spread very far and encountered several other interstellar civilizations, star-hopping and slowly spreading much like the Earthen Expanse.

~72,000 C.E.: A second hyper-advanced civilization is found in a distant part of the Perseus Arm. Once again, they're friendly enough but tell Earthers to stay out.

~90,000-120,000 C.E.: somewhere during this time the first warp drives appear in the Inner Order and a few other scattered civilizations.

~120,000 C.E.: beginning of the Von Neumann Crisis.

~140,0000 C.E.: At this point tiny footholds have been established on the Sagittarius Dwarf and the Ursa Major II dwarf, meaning Earthkind is technically intergalactic. Many generation ships and probes and AI ships have launched for the Magellanic Clouds, Triangulum, Andromeda, and even beyond, but it'll take a long time for those to reach their destinations, assuming they ever do reach them.

156,239 C.E.: Present Day.

We'll be playing as the adventures/explorers/merchants aboard a great starship. We will travel among the stars, frozen in cryonic chambers during the decade- and century-long journeys between systems. We'll act as explorers, discovering and rediscovering things Earthen, alien, and natural. We'll act as merchants, as in a world where data takes decades and centuries to reach others, information is just as valuable as rare resources. We'll also be carrying those resources, as interstellar trade is a business many find intimidating due to its long travel times. We will even help people and empires establish new colonies and outposts. We'll act as adventurers, communicating with everything from stone-age savages to hyper-AIs utilizing entire Dyson Spheres as brains. We'll see many cultures and civilizations, some retaining original human values even after so many tens of thousands of years, more with morals and cultures and appearances that they are nearly as alien as actual aliens.

Last edited:
Did anyone say hard science fiction ?!

The stars are alingned! Another hard sci-fi fan has appeared before me!

*crying*

Uh, anyway, yeah, I'm in. I'd love to discuss me some science.

Would you consider androids like those featured in works like those of Asimov would be "hard-sci fi"?

Also, if it wasn't abundantly clear I love hard sci-fi although I don't see enough of it and I love the barriers that it represents to the characters. Makes for better storytelling. Anyways.

I have several pointers for you in regard to crafting the setting. Firstly, the setting could be set so far into the future that the Andromeda and Milky Way Galaxies have merged, and furthermore that the Universe has expanded to such a degree that other galaxies are no longer part of the Observable Universe. It sets a sort of cold, isolated feel to the setting.

Or perhaps, even more heartwrenching in some sense, we have intercepted the communications of and documented alien life forms in other galaxies, but our technology is not advanced enough to go there.

I understand "hard sci-fi" as science fiction that does not rely on theoretical technology. For instance, a warp drive is theoretical but an ion drive is not. This of course poses the Light Barrier. I would, however, recommend that we allow some theoretical technologies that can help a large starship attain speeds slightly faster than light. This would still make travel laborious and difficult. A trip between Earth and the nearest stars would be several months to a year. From Earth to the Galactic Centre would still be hundreds of thousands of years. Given this barrier, humans still have probably only explored a fraction of the Galaxy and rely on incomplete maps from other races to form a semi-coherent idea of what's going on in the whole thing.

FTL travel also imposes barriers on space travel because of the fact that hitting a small dust particle at that speed imparts the force of an atomic bomb. Ships would have to have early detection and point-defense gadgetry just to vaporize sand-sized dust particles to keep them from destroying the ship's hull. Radiation would also be a huge issue. A low-tech solution is to coat the ship's hull in ice, but a strong magnetic field would be essential.

As for interstellar governance, I think you hit the nail on the head. It'd be hard for you to rule a vast interstellar empire if your frontier worlds don't see the presence of an imperial cruiser at least every once in a hundred years. I do think, however, there should be a sort of quasi-government centered on Earth where there's sort of a hegemon or primarch that acts like a pope for humanity so that at least a majority of the nearby human governments could band together if needed. Earth might also have some spiritual or quasi-spiritual significance to humans living elsewhere. There might be religions dedicated to Earth-worship that send their followers on pilgrimage.

More ideas to come. Fishman Lord Fishman Lord

I would, however, recommend that we allow some theoretical technologies that can help a large starship attain speeds slightly faster than light. This would still make travel laborious and difficult. A trip between Earth and the nearest stars would be several months to a year.

Well, every piece of fiction has to make some assumptions that deviate from reality eventualy, and I supose this would be the biggest one, but probably the most necessary one too. The intrinsic problem with FTL travel is that it carries the risk of either allowing time travel, wich imposes contradictions far heavier than the grandfather paradox, or allowing ships that can suicide-dive into planets and even stars and blow them up, or even destroy entire solar systems trough the sheer amount of energy involved in theoretical drives like the Alcubierre Warp Drive. And the worst part about this is that it's technicaly impossible to see a superluminal traveler, or in this case, offender, coming in time.

If I had to make a sugestion of a plausible FTL system that doesnt allow for interstellar crossfires, I'd have to vouch for wormholes. They are completely suported by modern relativity, and impose some interesting boundaries for interstellar expansion and transit that, as far as I've tought about them, leaves a lot of fertile ground for stories about interstellar communities.
You could still weaponize wormholes, but they cant be fired at FTL speeds unless you somehow also have a warp drive with you. Finer details are much too complicated to post here, but there's a wonderful webpage called Atomic Rockets that has most of the crucial information about this technology. Scroll through the page and look for "Existing Drives" :
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fasterlight.php

The same website also has an entire page dedicated to subluminal travel:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php

Considering the setting that Fishman appears to be going for, I think we should leave superluminal travel to the side, at least for now.

FTL travel also imposes barriers on space travel because of the fact that hitting a small dust particle at that speed imparts the force of an atomic bomb. Ships would have to have early detection and point-defense gadgetry just to vaporize sand-sized dust particles to keep them from destroying the ship's hull. Radiation would also be a huge issue. A low-tech solution is to coat the ship's hull in ice, but a strong magnetic field would be essential.

Well, heavy shielding is the basic concept here, but with a few corrections:
Magnetic fields only interact with charged particles, and most of the interstellar medium is inert, so you'd also need a giant array of lasers in front of your ship permanently firing in order to ionize the incoming particles. This same laser battery could be in charge of shooting down dangerous bodies that could be in the way. And also destroying enemy ships, I guess....
Well, maybe for superluminal speeds, I could understand, but in that case they are also arriving much faster than you could possibly detect them ( faster-than-light, remember?). For subluminal speeds, the interstellar medium would just be a giant river of radiation constantly bombarding your ship's front and deteriorating your hull. Objects hitting your ship with nuke-strenght would still be an issue, but only for debree substantialy bigger than a grain of sand.

Well, every piece of fiction has to make some assumptions that deviate from reality eventualy, and I supose this would be the biggest one, but probably the most necessary one too. The intrinsic problem with FTL travel is that it carries the risk of either allowing time travel, wich imposes contradictions far heavier than the grandfather paradox, or allowing ships that can suicide-dive into planets and even stars and blow them up, or even destroy entire solar systems trough the sheer amount of energy involved in theoretical drives like the Alcubierre Warp Drive. And the worst part about this is that it's technicaly impossible to see a superluminal traveler, or in this case, offender, coming in time.

If I had to make a sugestion of a plausible FTL system that doesnt allow for interstellar crossfires, I'd have to vouch for wormholes. They are completely suported by modern relativity, and impose some interesting boundaries for interstellar expansion and transit that, as far as I've tought about them, leaves a lot of fertile ground for stories about interstellar communities.
You could still weaponize wormholes, but they cant be fired at FTL speeds unless you somehow also have a warp drive with you. Finer details are much too complicated to post here, but there's a wonderful webpage called Atomic Rockets that has most of the crucial information about this technology. Scroll through the page and look for "Existing Drives" :
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fasterlight.php

The same website also has an entire page dedicated to subluminal travel:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php

Considering the setting that Fishman appears to be going for, I think we should leave superluminal travel to the side, at least for now.

Well, heavy shielding is the basic concept here, but with a few corrections:
Magnetic fields only interact with charged particles, and most of the interstellar medium is inert, so you'd also need a giant array of lasers in front of your ship permanently firing in order to ionize the incoming particles. This same laser battery could be in charge of shooting down dangerous bodies that could be in the way. And also destroying enemy ships, I guess....
Well, maybe for superluminal speeds, I could understand, but in that case they are also arriving much faster than you could possibly detect them ( faster-than-light, remember?). For subluminal speeds, the interstellar medium would just be a giant river of radiation constantly bombarding your ship's front and deteriorating your hull. Objects hitting your ship with nuke-strenght would still be an issue, but only for debree substantialy bigger than a grain of sand.
All of these points are true. For the first couple points I would say that we would need to devise a way of approaching time dialation anyways. Although I suppose that's most relevant to the process of aging. One problem I have with wormholes is that they suggest much faster travel than a mere slightly superluminal drive. While you do have the problem of detection, I suppose one way to defend against the suicide tactics you mentioned would be for the defender to purposefully shower a portion of a planet's orbit in a sort of minefield of large shrapnel that would hopefully hit and disable a kamikaze starship before it hits the ground. It might also be the case that these superluminal drives only work when there is little to no gravity working on the vessel, such that it would be unable to travel at FTL speeds while near a planet. But that sounds like junk science to me.

Overall, you may be right about the wormholes. I'm sort of interested now in how we approach time dilation. I'm not an expert, but as I understand it time is related to gravity because of the distortional effects gravity has on spacetime. Time seems to pass more slowly when more gravity is in the equation. This is why objects near the event horizon of a black hole would appear to be falling forever, and also why astronauts age faster while they are in orbit rather than on the ground.

This being the case, time should seem to pass much more slowly on starships operating at superluminal or near-luminal speeds because the mass of the starship increases proportionally to its speed and thus its gravity. On a starship going FTL, it should have, theoretically, gravity higher than a black hole. So I suppose to an observer the ship would not be moving...whereas the crew could travel for eons and never age? Gah, I hate physics. Plus, gravity is higher in the Galactic Centre because of the supermassive black hole there. This would mean that time passes more slowly there relative to Earth and the outer galaxy.

All of these points are true. For the first couple points I would say that we would need to devise a way of approaching time dialation anyways. Although I suppose that's most relevant to the process of aging. One problem I have with wormholes is that they suggest much faster travel than a mere slightly superluminal drive. While you do have the problem of detection, I suppose one way to defend against the suicide tactics you mentioned would be for the defender to purposefully shower a portion of a planet's orbit in a sort of minefield of large shrapnel that would hopefully hit and disable a kamikaze starship before it hits the ground. It might also be the case that these superluminal drives only work when there is little to no gravity working on the vessel, such that it would be unable to travel at FTL speeds while near a planet. But that sounds like junk science to me.

Overall, you may be right about the wormholes. I'm sort of interested now in how we approach time dilation. I'm not an expert, but as I understand it time is related to gravity because of the distortional effects gravity has on spacetime. Time seems to pass more slowly when more gravity is in the equation. This is why objects near the event horizon of a black hole would appear to be falling forever, and also why astronauts age faster while they are in orbit rather than on the ground.

This being the case, time should seem to pass much more slowly on starships operating at superluminal or near-luminal speeds because the mass of the starship increases proportionally to its speed and thus its gravity. On a starship going FTL, it should have, theoretically, gravity higher than a black hole. So I suppose to an observer the ship would not be moving...whereas the crew could travel for eons and never age? Gah, I hate physics. Plus, gravity is higher in the Galactic Centre because of the supermassive black hole there. This would mean that time passes more slowly there relative to Earth and the outer galaxy.
Actually, doing some more research it seems that the important thing is actually acceleration and not gravitational force per say.

Wormholes are the most plausible FTL system, and if we have FTL that's what we'd use, along with maybe Alcubierre Drives. However, wormholes are extremely complex and finicky, and they'd create the interesting scenario where while once a system was established it could reach others but humanity's expansion would still be limited by light speed as you have to bring or create the wormhole at wherever you're going to, most science says that you couldn't create one remotely. Wormholes can also theoretically link points in time as well as space, and I absolutely refuse to have time travel in this setting simply because of the insanity of causation and violating it. I do think a setting without FTL could still work, as with life extension and cryosleep even journeys of potentially thousands of years or more could be kept within a single being's lifetime. This is also not including relativity, which could make any journey of almost any length be 50 years from the traveller's viewpoint because of how crazy the universe is. Again though, time mechanics especially are so ridiculously complex and strange that relativity and such would need to be handled.

As for the time period, I'm thinking at most maybe a few hundred thousand years into the future and at the least maybe 20-30 thousand years into the future. This is because I think this is the most time that we can keep some of our species' descendants mindsets and such even understandable to a little 21st century ape like us, once we're at a point where we've merged with Andromeda then we'll either be long gone or so ridiculously foreign or advanced compared to us that we can't even really understand even the basics of their mindset and culture.
Shireling Shireling Mr.Sandstorm Mr.Sandstorm

This is only the case if the ship is actualy traveling at FTL speeds, as oposed to being stuck in a reference plane that is shifting around at FTL. The latter case is what the teoretical Warp Drive does; you're not actualy moving, but instead the space around gets warped (hence the name) to violently shorten the space between you and your destination. Wormholes do something similar in that they give you a shortcut to your destination instead of making you actualy travel there.
There's also Quantum Tunneling, wich offers the possibility of you "manifestating" yourself ligttyears away from your current location, but quantum physics is still a very young science, so we cant realy count on this for a hard sci-fi story.

Wormholes are the most plausible FTL system, and if we have FTL that's what we'd use, along with maybe Alcubierre Drives. However, wormholes are extremely complex and finicky, and they'd create the interesting scenario where while once a system was established it could reach others but humanity's expansion would still be limited by light speed as you have to bring or create the wormhole at wherever you're going to, most science says that you couldn't create one remotely. Wormholes can also theoretically link points in time as well as space, and I absolutely refuse to have time travel in this setting simply because of the insanity of causation and violating it. I do think a setting without FTL could still work, as with life extension and cryosleep even journeys of potentially thousands of years or more could be kept within a single being's lifetime. This is also not including relativity, which could make any journey of almost any length be 50 years from the traveller's viewpoint because of how crazy the universe is. Again though, time mechanics especially are so ridiculously complex and strange that relativity and such would need to be handled.

As for the time period, I'm thinking at most maybe a few hundred thousand years into the future and at the least maybe 20-30 thousand years into the future. This is because I think this is the most time that we can keep some of our species' descendants mindsets and such even understandable to a little 21st century ape like us, once we're at a point where we've merged with Andromeda then we'll either be long gone or so ridiculously foreign or advanced compared to us that we can't even really understand even the basics of their mindset and culture.
Alright. So we're working in the year 100,000 AD or something like that. By then, humans are likely all over their local star group assuming we are one of the first spacefaring species in the Milky Way, but we've also given up on centralized government so being human doesn't mean anything in a political sense.

I guess the next step is designing a few plausible alien races and also fleshing out what future humans and their societies look like. There could be humans that use gene editting to purposefully look like modern Homo sapiens (gene purists if you will) and those that edit their genomes constantly to fit the environment. Then I suppose there is a third group being cyborgs and androids created by man.

Alright. So we're working in the year 100,000 AD or something like that. By then, humans are likely all over their local star group assuming we are one of the first spacefaring species in the Milky Way, but we've also given up on centralized government so being human doesn't mean anything in a political sense.

I guess the next step is designing a few plausible alien races and also fleshing out what future humans and their societies look like. There could be humans that use gene editting to purposefully look like modern Homo sapiens (gene purists if you will) and those that edit their genomes constantly to fit the environment. Then I suppose there is a third group being cyborgs and androids created by man.
That's about right. Humanity will have spread to or at least visited a good chunk of the galaxy, and there might be a few tiny footholds on the absolute nearest dwarf galaxies. There'll be nothing like a centralized government, though some groups of systems might have some kind of government ruling over them although it'll still take them prohibitive amounts of time to communicate, let alone trade and actually enforce that authority.

I'd like to add two extra groups to those that you created. Those would be enhanced non-humans and full-blown AIs that lack "bodies". The enhanced non-humans would consist of creatures like dogs, dolphins, chimps, other great apes, and other animals that could theoretically be genetically enhanced just like us to be on our level of intelligence or even greater with further augmentation/genetic engineering. The AIs, on the other hand, would be fully sentient and sapient artificial entities that reside entirely within computers and software. Think HAL 9000 but a hugely diverse amount. Most would be around our level, inhabiting their virtual worlds and living whatever they can call their "lives", while others in the older, more advanced areas of humanity's spheres might have constructed computers the size of Jupiter or even full-on Dyson Spheres dedicated to computing. These hyper-AIs would be truly awesome in their knowledge and power, but also intimidating. One of these brains would be able to take on entire civilizations of lesser beings with its superior brainpower.

As for aliens, there will be a wealth, some on the same level as us, others greater or lesser. Because the current sample size for how life develops is exactly one right now (Earth), we can be pretty liberal in how these aliens are designed, but the general rule is no blatant humanoids along the lines of Star Wars, Mass Effect, etc., and no "frogs in space", "lions in space", etc. These are truly alien aliens,with foreign biology and mindsets.

Wormholes can also theoretically link points in time as well as space, and I absolutely refuse to have time travel in this setting simply because of the insanity of causation and violating it.

Actualy, not only do wormholes by necessity link time intervals, they actualy do that in a way that does not, in fact, break causality. It's simple:

A wormhole is composed of a pair of exits that cannot be created in separate; they must be assembled in the same place. That means that, to use the wormhole to move anywhere, you'll have to move one of the exits to where you want. Let's say thats a star system 10 ly's away, and for good measure, you can send the exit there at 0.5 c.

I'll ignore some of the complications of travelling in space and assume the wormhole is aways travelling at 0.5 c; it wont affect the point I'm trying to make. Let's also assume that it was shiped with a communicator that can give the ok signal once it sees that it has arrived at the destination.

You ship the exit away and you expect that it will give the "ok" 20 years later, right. But you'll actualy recieve the signal earlier. You see, wormhole exits are not just linked spacialy, theire also linked temporarily. Whatever time one exit experiences, all other exits must experience as well. Due to time dialation, our 0.5 c exit experienced the trip at a faster rate, and thus the exit that stayed at home must experience the same ETA. So, your wormhole is now complete before it was "suposed to", so time paradox, right?

No. Assume that you launched the exit in 2050. When you recieve the ok signal and try to step trough the wormhole, you wont arrive at Alien System in 2064, no, you'll arrive in Alien System 2070, exactly the time you expected the dispatched exit to arrive there.

Taking that wormhole trip wont be any different from turning yourself into a massless particle and traveling to the Alien System at lightspeed on your own.

Wormholes can link different time intervals, but only accordingly to how much distance they travelled. They wont be able to connect times that are outside of the boundaries of how many lightyears each of the exits travelled, so for whatever regions that become connected by the wormholes, the causality of events is just fine.
There might be some complications if you start churning them and spreading them all over the place, and then some wormhole exits start touching at shorter distances than others, but the current belief is that if a wormhole pair is put in a position where it might start transporting information faster than causality, it will just collapse or close off. This means that developing wormhole relays will require some carefull tracking and constant surveillance of the existing exits in order to ensure that nothing blows up.

That's about right. Humanity will have spread to or at least visited a good chunk of the galaxy, and there might be a few tiny footholds on the absolute nearest dwarf galaxies. There'll be nothing like a centralized government, though some groups of systems might have some kind of government ruling over them although it'll still take them prohibitive amounts of time to communicate, let alone trade and actually enforce that authority.

I'd like to add two extra groups to those that you created. Those would be enhanced non-humans and full-blown AIs that lack "bodies". The enhanced non-humans would consist of creatures like dogs, dolphins, chimps, other great apes, and other animals that could theoretically be genetically enhanced just like us to be on our level of intelligence or even greater with further augmentation/genetic engineering. The AIs, on the other hand, would be fully sentient and sapient artificial entities that reside entirely within computers and software. Think HAL 9000 but a hugely diverse amount. Most would be around our level, inhabiting their virtual worlds and living whatever they can call their "lives", while others in the older, more advanced areas of humanity's spheres might have constructed computers the size of Jupiter or even full-on Dyson Spheres dedicated to computing. These hyper-AIs would be truly awesome in their knowledge and power, but also intimidating. One of these brains would be able to take on entire civilizations of lesser beings with its superior brainpower.

As for aliens, there will be a wealth, some on the same level as us, others greater or lesser. Because the current sample size for how life develops is exactly one right now (Earth), we can be pretty liberal in how these aliens are designed, but the general rule is no blatant humanoids along the lines of Star Wars, Mass Effect, etc., and no "frogs in space", "lions in space", etc. These are truly alien aliens,with foreign biology and mindsets.
Right. Yes, I definitely agree.

Well, I'm ok with that setting.

Computers the size of Jupiter actualy have a name in science fiction. Theyre called Jupiter Brains. Yeah, I know.

These computers would actualy be able to compute whole universes, by the way. An AI with access to that would be able to conquer pretty much everything it has the patience to get it's hands on, altough if it went trough the trouble of building a simulation that big, it probably isnt interested in this universe anyway.

Well, speaking of Dyson spheres, we might want to discuss some other megastructures as well. Giant constructs like Dyson swarms, Matrioska Brains and Interstellar Highways would affect the outlook of these segregated civilizations enormously, so maybe we should discuss wich are present in this galaxy beforehand.

I'd like to cite a few specific structures, but first I think a more practical approach to indulging in the bigger extent of futuristic constructions is to recommend you guys take a look at a youtube channel called Isaac Arthur. He discusses elements of the history of science fiction and futurism trough a very hard science view, and he's got a whole series dedicated to megastructures like Dyson Spheres, Ringworlds and the aforementioned Interstellar Highways, wich by the way you guys should realy check out first.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g

Well, speaking of Dyson spheres, we might want to discuss some other megastructures as well. Giant constructs like Dyson swarms, Matrioska Brains and Interstellar Highways would affect the outlook of these segregated civilizations enormously, so maybe we should discuss wich are present in this galaxy beforehand.

I'd like to cite a few specific structures, but first I think a more practical approach to indulging in the bigger extent of futuristic constructions is to recommend you guys take a look at a youtube channel called Isaac Arthur. He discusses elements of the history of science fiction and futurism trough a very hard science view, and he's got a whole series dedicated to megastructures like Dyson Spheres, Ringworlds and the aforementioned Interstellar Highways, wich by the way you guys should realy check out first.

Oh, I love Isaac Arthur. Yeah, I've watched his videos on Dyson spheres and Matrioska Brains

In the inner regions around Earth and Sol, stuff like Matrioshka Brains and Dyson Spheres will encircle nearly every star, and AIs will rule. Megastructures will be commonplace overall in the human expanse, but as you get further from Earth they get less and less common, because there hasn't been enough time to build them or not enough settlers. In many systems where biologicals haven't been displaced totally by AIs and their massive computers, structures like Ringworlds, Banks Orbitals, and even the occasional Alderson Disk are all existent and populated by massive amounts of sapient creatures.

Also, one major thing we need to consider is what this roleplay would actually be. Once we've created a plausible setting, what kind of story could we set there? I'd suggest a kind of exploration RP, where we travel between systems, discovering the artifacts of ancient civilizations, the bizarre forms the descendants of Earth that reached the system before us, and ecosystems of alien worlds. Between each exploration, the characters would go into cryosleep or a specially induced coma, as even traveling to the closest systems it would be 20 year journeys or so. Whatever the RP is, I would prefer that interstellar travel is actually used and the characters travel between systems. Alternatively, a nation builder of sorts focused around building colonization and exploration vessels and trying to keep an empire together despite huge distances and communication times could be interesting.

Considering that you are elevating humanity to a Type II civilization in this scenario, the likelihood that we have not managed to overcome the inherent power issues currently plaguing the Alcubierre Equations is remote. I would imagine that most of the travel time between stars would involve moving in system, since the ship would have to decelerate to sub-luminal velocities far outside the target system to avoid irradiating it into lifelessness as it sheds all of the accumulated matter/energy/detritus that its 'gradient' fields would have pulled in as it traveled.

Where do you plan to place humanity on the Microdimensional Mastery scale?

Considering that you are elevating humanity to a Type II civilization in this scenario, the likelihood that we have not managed to overcome the inherent power issues currently plaguing the Alcubierre Equations is remote. I would imagine that most of the travel time between stars would involve moving in system, since the ship would have to decelerate to sub-luminal velocities far outside the target system to avoid irradiating it into lifelessness as it sheds all of the accumulated matter/energy/detritus that its 'gradient' fields would have pulled in as it traveled.

Where do you plan to place humanity on the Microdimensional Mastery scale?
Well, an Alcubierre drive could theoretically require more energy than exists in the entire multiverse to move a small spaceship, but for the purposes of this RP we'd be sticking with a more liberal estimate, so energy might not be a problem. What is a problem is causality, which still gets violated on a larger scale by an Alcubierre drive. Now, this is still debated a lot, and the mechanics behind it are very complex, but it still raises an issue. Now, this doesn't mean we won't have Alcubierre Drives, but they'll still be sub-luminal. This doesn't mean they're useless, in fact, they'd be immensely useful. Without the warp drive we'd be limited to maybe 0.5c, 0.7c, that area. With a warp drive you might be reaching very high fractions of light speed, maybe even up to the area of 0.99c.

Humanity would be somewhere between Type III and Type IV on the Microdimensional Mastery scale, with nanotech being commonplace. Manipulation on the atomic scale would be a still-emerging technology in the vast majority of the Earthen Expanse. It also must be understood that not all of Earthen civilization is uniform in its advancement. Certain generation and colony ships launched very early on may only now be reaching their distant destinations, with their technological levels being tens of thousands of years behind the systems they came from. Others might have stagnated or regressed to primitive levels of civilization due to certain factors once they arrived. Most of the Earthen Expanse has stayed in isolation, with contact between most systems comprising of dialogues that take hundreds or thousands of years, so once a system creates a new technology it will take quite a long time to spread.

Humanity would be somewhere between Type III and Type IV on the Microdimensional Mastery scale

Whoa, whoa, whoa, are we talking about civilizations that can manipulate entire galaxies now? Because I'm pretty sure that, by kardashev III we'd allready be colonizing the whole local galaxy cluster.

If so, this is kind of too much to make a story even remotely relatable to singular individuals. Are you measuring this in a different scale or something?

EDIT: *looks up Microdimensional Mastery Scale* oh. oohhh. My bad, nevermind, we're cool here.

Now, this doesn't mean we won't have Alcubierre Drives, but they'll still be sub-luminal. This doesn't mean they're useless, in fact, they'd be immensely useful. Without the warp drive we'd be limited to maybe 0.5c, 0.7c, that area. With a warp drive you might be reaching very high fractions of light speed, maybe even up to the area of 0.99c.

Ok, that works. There's still the potential for using these things as stellar-destruction-level weapons, but at least you could maybe see it coming....
Plus, no causality violations is aways nice for keeping a sane, inteligible story.

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, are we talking about civilizations that can manipulate entire galaxies now? Because I'm pretty sure that, by kardashev III we'd allready be colonizing the whole local galaxy cluster.

If so, this is kind of too much to make a story even remotely relatable to singular individuals. Are you measuring this in a different scale or something?

EDIT: *looks up Microdimensional Mastery Scale* oh. oohhh. My bad, nevermind, we're cool here.

Ok, that works. There's still the potential for using these things as stellar-destruction-level weapons, but at least you could maybe see it coming....
Plus, no causality violations is aways nice for keeping a sane, inteligible story.

(Chuckle) You obviously haven't considered the effects of a Cee fractional bombardment. We're talking serious relativistic speeds here. Planet busting impacts. It's a tactician's nightmare. Or just blow the drive field of a ship that's been moving at .9 Cee. All of the material will be dumped like a cosmic ray burst in the direction of travel. Very unhealthy.

Obviously a military Sci Fi fan if you hadn't guessed.

My sugestion:

Well, an exploration RP would fit well here, since the galaxy is very varied and colorful.

But to run around exploring the stars of neighbours that are basicaly all alien, we'd need a big scientific body backing us up in case any incomprehensible tech or species shows up, to run experiments and try to establish communications. We cant just fly around without talking to the eventual inhabitants, not unless we want a fight.

And even with a scientific body capable of ad hoc alien diplomacy, we'd still run into aggressive natives, and possibly natives with their own ships and weapons. So, maybe our expedition is part scientific, part military. We're a giant fleet of "pathfinders", scouting around our stellar neighbourhood to ensure the safety of our home system and to discover things that we cannot find by staying tucked up in our one star.

My sugestion:

Well, an exploration RP would fit well here, since the galaxy is very varied and colorful.

But to run around exploring the stars of neighbours that are basicaly all alien, we'd need a big scientific body backing us up in case any incomprehensible tech or species shows up, to run experiments and try to establish communications. We cant just fly around without talking to the eventual inhabitants, not unless we want a fight.

And even with a scientific body capable of ad hoc alien diplomacy, we'd still run into aggressive natives, and possibly natives with their own ships and weapons. So, maybe our expedition is part scientific, part military. We're a giant fleet of "pathfinders", scouting around our stellar neighbourhood to ensure the safety of our home system and to discover things that we cannot find by staying tucked up in our one star.
I think this would work. We'd be a small fleet consisting of a large habitat ship, a large rotating cylinder capable of maybe 0.2c, and all its probes and tools. This would be the main "mothership" of the operation. There would be a good few probes on the ship. The probes could go much faster, maybe 0.4c. These would be used to investigate systems that were deemed interesting enough to warrant investigation but not enough for the ship itself to make the trip. Each probe would be equipped with a fully sapient AI to run it, various tools for scanning and researching a system, and a few rovers or bots to collect samples from asteroids or planets. Also on the ship would be a bay containing a good amount of attack ships. The main ship itself would have combat capability, but the attack ships would aid immensely. Like each probe, each attack ship would be controlled by a fully sapient AI. This would allow the fighters to have maximum efficiency and be the most useful. Finally, there would be a large amount of automated miners and construction ships to obtain resources for the ship and keep it repaired and up to date.

While we would be explorers, in a very major way we would also be traders and merchants. In a society where it takes decades for basic contact and everyone is isolated, information would be just as valuable if not more valuable than materials and resources. Merchants would trade news, data, and technology just as much as they would trade objects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back