Any nation builders around?

well you could say I kinda am, but I don't build them souly by myself but with those i with...if anything I'm an amateur at it?

I'm currently making a mid-fantasy sort of RP, with it's own world, and thus nations, but it's probably not going to be done or started until summer.

Edit: With Grey's post providing more info, it wouldn't be considered nation building. Ignore this post then, lol.

Littlewolfie and I have made whole worlds for some roleplays we've made through our years of roleplaying, so I suppose you can say we are.

I have created a fantasy world where my novels take place?

And I have written an entire kingdom for a D&D campaign I DM

I guess that counts?

Query, do you mean the construction of fictional nations as a DM, as in a part of world building, or a RP where the PCs are founders/expanders of a nation?

Grey said:
Nation Building is a form of RP where instead of individual characters, the players take the role of entire nations or leaders of nations.
The RP is then concerned with warfare, political maneuvering, and public works.
I... had an RP once like this. It died on the first page because I had no idea what I was doing.

I have a lacking experience as a nation builder. But that doesn't mean I have none. Why do you ask ? Either way I'd love to get back into it again.

Oh, okay, now that I know what that is, yes I am. Actually, I really like nation building RP's, though I don't see too many of them.

I don't do complete "control a nation" roleplays, usually. I did one where there was a preset government, and the player took the role of a regional government official with a good deal of power.

You didn't really build a nation, though...you just built laws, and strategies, and figured out the structure of your departments and security forces.

Last time I tried to the post got 0 replies.... :/

But I did some "nation building" on another site before... it goes pretty well actually...

Grey said:
For those here about worldbuilding, try the Advice and Planning forum.
This may lead to me coming into your thread with unsolicited advice and barely concealed scorn, but I promise I do it to help you improve.
Do you mean there is a specific helpful thread there? Or that it would be a fitting place to have numerous people help you plan it out?

Why does your scorn have to be concealed?

Depends on the level of detail you put into it.

As someone brought up in thread, in the more detailed games, it becomes similar to a game of Civilization or Crusader Kings, with managing resources, policies, various NPCs both allies and non-allies, how other nations see you.

Then again, it doesn't necessarily need to be that either.

I had a Nation Builder game set up where the users would vote and direct a developing Space Pirate enclave stranded on a hostile world. It didn't get very far, but I had resources, research paths, special characters, and the general health and mental well being of the pirates as off-screen stats.

They can take any form really, and any level of players. It just depends on how you run it.

It's one of my favorite types of roleplay. It's such a great format to showcase different world building preferences as well as player driven stories. I, as a mere player, can build and resolve conflict without ever needing GM or another players permission. Perfect.

I'd like to try my hand at some nation building as well. Back in my previous community, the primary form of RP was political interactions between various player-made nations and factions, and it was awesome.

Edit: Actually, on that note, I have quite a bit of experience building nations, though I haven't really created much myself. Most of them were inheritances from when the original founders decided to pass the torch. Then I implement my own personal touch with the new regime, and most of the results have been very successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
@The Dark Wizard

I've been involved with some nation-building roleplays in the past. Of course, I probably wouldn't participate in any nation-building roleplays set in a modern or futuristic setting, as I prefer the medieval fantasy government styles. I also like incorporating fantasy races to make it a diverse world!

Ire said:
@The Dark Wizard
I've been involved with some nation-building roleplays in the past. Of course, I probably wouldn't participate in any nation-building roleplays set in a modern or futuristic setting, as I prefer the medieval fantasy government styles. I also like incorporating fantasy races to make it a diverse world!
May the mana shine upon you.

If there's some kind of special feature for nation builders brewing, I am excited - I can revive my ruling and politicking RP set in Hell.

I was once in an Avatar: The Last Airbender roleplay that inadvertently became a nation builder. But I guess that's what happens when you're playing royalty. Haha

We had no idea what we were getting into a first, but it was a very different experience and I would definitely do it again. Hit me up if you decide to start one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back