Chitchat Am I the only one-

InsultingBunny

Princess of Rude. Let me insult you?
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Am I the only one to have zero interest in fandoms? I have never once thought about writing a fandom. Though I may enjoy the shows or novels I just don’t see the point in it for myself.

quarantine thoughts for the soul.

I like that people enjoy fandoms but they just don’t tickle my toes and slap my knees kinda thing.

I personally don't care for them. I enjoy watching, reading the original works and that's good enough for me. I wouldn't do the original work justice in an RP because of my terrible skillz. Lol

Yeah, I feel you. I do like certain fandom universes, such as Dragon Age or Bioshock, but I can't really imagine using them in my roleplay. It just doesn't feel inspiring to me? I very much enjoy worldbuilding and a ready-made world is just not attractive to me.

i feel this.
there was a time when i dabbled in fandoms. the only example that comes to mind in which i actually played a canon was lord of the rings, but i also did au warriors stuff. that didn't last long for me because i really wanted to make it my own rather than adhering to the universes set in place by other people. also, as others have expressed, i feel that my contributions would be an injustice to the works i love so dearly.

As a rule I avoid fandom altogether. I prefer original characters, generally in a real world. (For the purpose of this post, Everdeep is part of the real world.) I also enjoy D&D type fantasy. Fandpm? Naaa.

I was lowkey expecting to get slight hate for this opinion of mine. I am glad to see other share the same opinion and enjoy world building and just all around full customization of anything you please.
Thanks.

Wanted to add that I don't often do fandom RPs, either. I'm very dedicated and loyal to the media I follow, to the point where I don't think I would want to RP it in fear of making an inaccurate representation of the source material.

Characters, settings, lore, I don't feel comfortable twisting the source material into something different, especially when dealing with character personalities. If I'm ever writing a canon character for any reason, my pleasure in doing so only stems from the satisfaction of making a darn-well accurate portrayal... And if I don't feel confident in my ability to do that, then I probably won't write them at all.

So... Yeah. In summary: I'm obsessive, and twisting the source material feels like sacrilege, lol.

No offense to anyone who does do this. Bend your fandoms to whatever you please, I understand the appeal! It's just not for me.

I have been into a couple of them in the past, so it's something I understand, but I have lost interest in fandoms and now what I like is being able to build my own characters, backgrounds and stories.

Honestly, it's okay to not be part of any fandom. I can understand why some people don't associate with fandoms. A popular reason is toxic fans - being on DeviantArt for nearly a decade, I've been exposed to tons of toxic fans. I've heard of people sending death threats to the creators because they did something the fans didn't like. Gaming is especially bad due to the modern gaming community's emphasis on negativity On DeviantArt, literally every time I look at the forums something is accused of being "SJW propaganda". Looking at the threads for worst movies and worst cartoons used to be fun because you could share experiences with laughably bad stuff like Video Brinquedo or the animated Titanic movies. Now it's not fun anymore since people just use it to complain about the recent Star Wars movies or Captain Marvel (I'm not a fan of either of those, but the hatedoms they have are just ludicrous).

Many people who aren't part of any fandoms aren't part of them because they don't like the drama that goes on in them.

Just because you like a work of fiction doesn't mean you're obligated to be part of the fandom. Sometimes not being part of any fandoms is better.

Just because you like a work of fiction doesn't mean you're obligated to be part of the fandom. Sometimes not being part of any fandoms is better.
I agree.

To each their own.
I enjoy roleplaying fandoms and I mostly play canon characters. Whether or no I do them justice... my rp parners didn't complain at least, and we all enjoyed it. That's all that matters.

I like fandom rp a lot and generally speaking only play OCs. That said "fandoms" in general can be really strange and unsettling places to be, so I try to avoid them. When you get people comingto blows about pairings and policing the fandom/other people's OCs it's too much (and ends up becoming high school cliques - I'm too old for that shiz). Having smaller groups of people to talk about the things you love is awesome though.

I like fandom rp a lot and generally speaking only play OCs. That said "fandoms" in general can be really strange and unsettling places to be, so I try to avoid them. When you get people comingto blows about pairings and policing the fandom/other people's OCs it's too much (and ends up becoming high school cliques - I'm too old for that shiz). Having smaller groups of people to talk about the things you love is awesome though.
I see what you are saying but I have no issues or Ill wishes for anyone who is in a fandom. As I probably am a fan of a lot too, just you won’t catch me doing a fandom roleplay. Ever.

i've been in fandoms since i was like. eleven, twelve years old, and i've been roleplaying fandoms just as long as that. but, i've always found it enjoyable to roleplay within the universe and not use canon characters. but, as others have said, roleplaying in fandom universes can feel constricting due to the amount of "rules" or "policing" that may go on. fandoms can tend to be a pretty drama filled landscape, but it's always lovely when you find someone who just enjoy the work for what it is and putting your own spin on it.
fandoms aren't for everybody, and that's totally okay. fandom roleplays aren't for everybody either, and that's okay too. each person has a different type of experience with roleplaying that makes them happy, and sometimes fandom roleplays don't fit into that. plus, world building is a whole lot of fun. it's so much more freeing!

I agree.

To each their own.
I enjoy roleplaying fandoms and I mostly play canon characters. Whether or no I do them justice... my rp parners didn't complain at least, and we all enjoyed it. That's all that matters.

RPing canon characters is fun, although when I do it sometimes I worry if someone will think I'm being too OOC. After all, different people will interpret characters differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back