• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Aether: The Age of Light OOC [being rebooted]

There was a Dragon tho
Speaking of Dragons, what's their deal? Are there more than just Korgorath or whatever his name was, and if so, are they all evil? Are creatures like Wyverns considered part of the dragon family, or wholly different creatures?

When you're trying to be a nice guy and you get blamed for starting the Second War of Cinders.
raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

Speaking of Dragons, what's their deal? Are there more than just Korgorath or whatever his name was, and if so, are they all evil? Are creatures like Wyverns considered part of the dragon family, or wholly different creatures?

Korgorath was the first and last true Dragon. There's some...tiny ones flapping around here and there.

...they're so incredibly integrated it's rather difficult to have one without the other. Culturally, politically, economically. Historically the Church is dependent on the continuing good will of the Monarchy and Nobility to function wherever they please. Technically that's still the case - and any of the great noble families could stop the Church from operating on their lands any time they wished...

I don't understand why this is. Does the monarchy and the nobility have an army of comparable size and skill to the paladins that it keeps the Church in check with? Does it have some answer to inquisitors that no one else possesses? It seems to me the Church has no need of the monarchy at all. If they want to function wherever they please, what could the nobility possibly do to prevent them? The king, or some noble, could say, "nah, guys, you really can't do that." And then the Church goes, "so try and stop us, we have mages, paladins, and an unbeatable force of supernatural fanatic warriors. What do you have?"

But surely the nobility and monarchy would be able to raise their own levies and retinues wouldn't they?

Presumably so, but with mages and inquisitors mostly fighting for the Church, I don't see how any standard army could stand against them if they wanted to do whatever they pleased.

I don't understand why this is. Does the monarchy and the nobility have an army of comparable size and skill to the paladins that it keeps the Church in check with? Does it have some answer to inquisitors that no one else possesses? It seems to me the Church has no need of the monarchy at all. If they want to function wherever they please, what could the nobility possibly do to prevent them? The king, or some noble, could say, "nah, guys, you really can't do that." And then the Church goes, "so try and stop us, we have paladins and an unbeatable force of supernatural fanatic warriors. What do you have?"

The Paladins number in the thousands. The Standard armies of all the banners combined is in the tens of thousands.
The Church is literally just interested in regaining lost knowledge, crushing dark powers and spreading their religion. They don't want to be in control of everything, it just gets in the way of the work they do. Historically, they don't care about agriculture, or the economy. They have no interest in dealing with petty criminals or keeping the various lands of Aether in balance. - that's what a king does - They're there to ensure another War of Cinders can never happen. The Church getting involved with the war with the Orcs was probably the most out of character thing they've done in 500 years. Of course, if a Holy Council decided some sort of holy coup was in order --- well, It's never happened as of yet, so there's no precedent for it.

tldr - Church is too busy to deal with the political tat of controlling an entire nation. They pick and choose the political tat relevant to them,

We just write a bloody nov at that point xD the post would be massive!
That reminds me, should we get to work on our second group post now, so that we can have it up relatively soon after the cleric group post? I'd say I should write the intro, what with me knowing what The Trapdoor Drinker looks like.
we might as well just open google docs and start writing a book now
It's already enough of a hassle to do that on my own without 6-8 other people trying to throw their two cents in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back