Advice/Help Advice on an OC idea?

Sleek

Show me a good time, Jack!
So I have an OC in the works, but want to know advice on how to properly execute the character.

The basic premise is that they are a low-ranking grunt in a PMC that acts as the governing body for a singular solar system. The genre being Sci-Fi, the character would have access to certain technologies such as advanced ballistic weapons and semi-powered armor.

With the skeleton of the premise out of the way, I'd also like to ask advice for how to properly play a fresh-faced recruit that is understandably uninitiated to what war can really be, without him feeling like the stereotypical "black and white" morals character that is suddenly introduced to the concept of the gray area.

Why not try a subversion of that trope? Have a character with a grey morality have those ideas challenged by the sheer shittiness of certain environments. Or maybe someone who is convinced they already understand the burdens of war and fighting just because they view morality through a more cynnical lens, have them confront the fact that nonetheless the things they have to do can weigh on the conscience.

Since this is a new trainee, another thought could be maybe having him waver on his reasons for joining as a recruit or in the sort of lifestyle he is subjecting himself to.

Just spitballing ideas here...

Why not try a subversion of that trope? Have a character with a grey morality have those ideas challenged by the sheer shittiness of certain environments. Or maybe someone who is convinced they already understand the burdens of war and fighting just because they view morality through a more cynnical lens, have them confront the fact that nonetheless the things they have to do can weigh on the conscience.

Since this is a new trainee, another thought could be maybe having him waver on his reasons for joining as a recruit or in the sort of lifestyle he is subjecting himself to.

Just spitballing ideas here...

So someone who acts tough and gruff who thinks they've seen it all being proven wrong?
I'm not sure about the reasons thing considering it'd be all-too easy to cop out on it (for me) and attribute it to conscription and some such.

I do see the point, however. Perhaps misguided nobility, a recruit who turned to the military for money to support a family? (who maybe comes to question whether or not it's worth being a hero/brave/noble for something in the face of the brutaility of war?)

So someone who acts tough and gruff who thinks they've seen it all being proven wrong?
Maybe?

it'd be all-too easy to cop out on it (for me) and attribute it to conscription and some such.
How so?

I do see the point, however. Perhaps misguided nobility, a recruit who turned to the military for money to support a family? (who maybe comes to question whether or not it's worth being a hero/brave/noble for something in the face of the brutaility of war?)
If there is nobility in that setting, maybe...

Personally, the entire conscription thing appeals but has been used in various settings that I'm afraid of the character becoming a general cliche.

Maybe not nobility, but a feeling of duty to his family? There can be nobility in the battlefield, sure, but looking at it again it seems like a childish notion in of itself.

Well, truth be told, you will find tropes everywhere. Don't kid yourself: Any kind of character you make, any aspects you give them, someone has already done that. What can be done is exploring what's been done in a better or unique way, a way that brings your own perspective and writing, your own angle into the exploration of those traits.

That's true, but the point still stands.

I feel like I have more of a clear picture of how to define this character now, but want to ask a question.

Do you think it would be a better idea to have the Sci-FI aspects be more realistic or fantasy?
There are a lot of Space Marine types nowadays, and I don't want to add to that growing wave.

Depends on the focus of the story you want to write. Realistic or fantastical elements have different focuses, so gnowing your goal and what will make it worth for you is what should be on scale.

So I have an OC in the works, but want to know advice on how to properly execute the character.

With the skeleton of the premise out of the way, I'd also like to ask advice for how to properly play a fresh-faced recruit that is understandably uninitiated to what war can really be, without him feeling like the stereotypical "black and white" morals character that is suddenly introduced to the concept of the gray area.

So they are an expert, maybe they are a prodigy. A physical flunky but a techno wizard. I picture a Milo Thatch from Atlantis or the 94 Stargate...the long haired nerd...what was his name...Whatever, he is played by James Spader and his inner badass doesn't shine until he falls for the girl and her culture. I just wouldn't go for the typical pitfalls; he is so handsome but he just doesn't know it! He is so talented but he just doesnt know it!

The innocent rookie feigning ignorance has been done. I am all for the determined nerd who needs a reason to break out of their shell.

So they are an expert, maybe they are a prodigy. A physical flunky but a techno wizard. I picture a Milo Thatch from Atlantis or the 94 Stargate...the long haired nerd...what was his name...Whatever, he is played by James Spader and his inner badass doesn't shine until he falls for the girl and her culture. I just wouldn't go for the typical pitfalls; he is so handsome but he just doesn't know it! He is so talented but he just doesnt know it!

The innocent rookie feigning ignorance has been done. I am all for the determined nerd who needs a reason to break out of their shell.

No offense, but that's not the kind of character I want to create. I have some realism in mind and as such none of these angles would suit what I personally plan to create.
Would he have quirks? Yes.
Would he be quirky to the point of being a stereotypical nerd in a mechsuit? No.

Alright, thank you. Is there anything else you'd like to touch on?
There could be, but I don't know what else to say. I told you the ideas that came to mind right away, but I can't help you further with such an open question. I am more than willing to talk or try to help out with specific matters, and if anyone wants me to review their character I don't mind, but when a question is too open-ended I'm sorry but I just kinda loose a sense of direction...

There could be, but I don't know what else to say. I told you the ideas that came to mind right away, but I can't help you further with such an open question. I am more than willing to talk or try to help out with specific matters, and if anyone wants me to review their character I don't mind, but when a question is too open-ended I'm sorry but I just kinda loose a sense of direction...

Understandable, lol. Thank you for the help.

No offense, but that's not the kind of character I want to create. I have some realism in mind and as such none of these angles would suit what I personally plan to create.
Would he have quirks? Yes.
Would he be quirky to the point of being a stereotypical nerd in a mechsuit? No.
Not offensive! Just saying, cut it down the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back