• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Adventures, Life and Familiars

EccentricFantasy

The mind is a fearsome thing, don't tread on it.
tumblr_pnxtqp5qDL1tsuo6uo1_1280.jpg

How does one stand out in a world of exception? When everyone has magical capabilities, how does one distinguish themselves among the extraordinary? Well, they judge based on pets.

In the world of the magical, the only real distinction is the type of familiar you can summon. Treated much like a game of who has the fancier pet. A lot of people take great pride in their familiars. Though, due to this increasing popularity of who has the better familiar, there has been a lot of research and study done into the type of familiar one can summon. As such, the study and research of familiars has taken great leaps and strides. Soon it became the only magical research anybody was interested in. Even those with non-classical magical abilities, such as monks, knights or paladins, had familiars as well. They were the only thing that really mattered in life. It became the standard of when you became an adult. Adventuring, showing off your familiar and discovering new ways that these familiars would appear, interact or manifest. People odd at the abilities that some of these summoned companions had.

The world was far too dangerous a place. They needed adventurers and adventurers needed familiars. Of course, adventures guilds popped up. Making money advancing themselves and all sorts of fun things. What will your story be? How will your familiar help you? Let the story begin.

Types
A Familiar can take on different types based on the nature of its form or ability. It is commonly thought that the nature of the Master is what determines the type of Familiar they receive.

Basic Types​

There are 5 basic types of Familiar that are commonplace.

CategoryDescription
Type: ArmsA category for a Familiar that is wielded by Masters. This includes weapons such as swords, staves, and even extends up to prosthetic body parts as well.
Type: BeastA category for a Familiar that takes the form of a living, non-human being.
Type: ChariotA category for a Familiar that takes the form of a vehicle.
Type: CastleA category for a Familiar that takes the form of a building. In its basic category, this type of Familiar cannot move, but in return boasts high defensive power.
Type: TerritoryA category for a Familiar that invokes a special ability within a certain area. Since this Familiar does not usually have a physical form, it is extremely difficult for it to be interfered with by others. Depending on the shape and size of the area of effect, the strength of the effect can change. A spirit form can be manifested, but it is purely visual.

Rare Types​

There are 2 types of Familiar's that are much rarer.
CategoryDescription
Type: MaidenA category for a Familiar that takes the form of a human female. This type of Familiar is always a hybrid with up to two of the five basic types from the beginning. It tends to emerge due to a sense of crisis. The ability of this type of Familiar are usually focused on the concept of 'giant killing': concentrating power on a single point and defeating the 'strong' under limited conditions. Said 'strong' can be defined as a certain kind of opponent, or even a concept.
Type: ApostleA category for a Familiar that takes the form of a human male. This type of Familiar is always a hybrid with up to two of the five basic types right from the beginning. It tends to emerge due to a sense of duty. They will dedicate themselves wholeheartedly to their Masters' missions, regardless of its morality. Less than 0.1% of all Familiar's are this type. The ability of this type of Familiar are usually focused on the concept of 'Dominator': Taking control of a part of the world and transforming it into a world that benefits them. This differs from Type: Territory in that rather than invoking the ability inside an area, it dominates the phenomenon inside the designated area. It is extremely easy for this Familiar to grow and acquire powerful abilities.

High-End Familiar​

Depending on the form and ability a Familiar obtains during the course of its evolution, it will sometimes become a High-End Familiar. Each of the five basic categories has two high end categories.

CategoryDescription
Type: WeaponA category for a Type: Arms Familiar whose functionality is focused on its use as a weapon, increasing potential damage.
Type: CalculatorA category for a Type: Arms Familiar whose functionality focuses on calculation ability. A weapon that forgoes the damage boost for a pseudo sentience, allowing for extra battle tactics and assistance.

CategoryDescription
Type: LegionA category for a Type: Beast Familiar with multiple units. They come in two types: those with a large number of units with weaker abilities and status and those with a small number of units with stronger abilities.
Type: GuardianA category for a Type: Beast Familiar that is capable of independent action. Due to concentrating resources into one unit, its abilities and status surpasses that of a Legion.

CategoryDescription
Type: GearA category for a Type: Chariot Familiar specialized in being ridden by its Master. Normally, the Familiar's ability would only work when the Master is present, but in the case of hybrids with the Maiden, Apostle or Guardian category, independent operation is possible.
Type: AdvanceA category for a Type: Chariot Familiar specialized in strengthening the ability of the Master's vehicle. Taking one skill or ability and maximizing it to it's utmost potential.

CategoryDescription
Type: FortressA category for a Type: Castle Familiar that takes the form of a huge facility or a large scale fortification.
Type: LabyrinthA category for a Type: Castle Familiar whose abilities focuses on affecting things on the inside of its range.
CategoryDescription
Type: WorldA category for a Type: Territory Familiar whose ability can affect everything inside the designated space. Depending on the nature of the ability, the effect can be increased by compressing the area of effect.
Type: RuleA category for a Type: Territory Familiar whose ability only affects the user. Placing a rule or rules on the Master and granting boosts in ability or skill based on the severity of said rules and how strictly they are followed. Punishment is possible and becomes gradually more intense as the the Rule becomes more strict.

So this is a classic story of adventuring, but rather than focusing purely on adventures, fighting and other such things, I wanted to put a major focus on the development of your character and their relationship with their familiar. I made sure to include plenty of ways for you to mix and match and grow. Of course, you will need to adventure and have wonderful stories in order for that to happen, but it's not the end all be all. You could design a familiar for domestic use, design one that could help you with a business for the adventurer's guild. This is a completely open world and the only limit is your imagination. However, there are a few rules!

1. RPN rules apply and I get the final saying.

2. No godmodding, metagaming and the like. Doing these will automatically get you kicked, but not without a warning.

3. Be respectful to each other and if there is anyone that you don't feel comfortable with, let me know. I want everyone to have fun here.

4. A minimum of 2 paragraphs is required, no one-liners. Posts should be in third person past tense.

5. You are to play as a Master. You will also be responsible for your familiar. In the case of any Maiden or Apostles, it's basically playing two characters.

6. Tell me your favorite book in your request.

7. Be reasonable with your choice of Familiar's and the abilities you give them. No one is gonna start this in a super over powered state. Not even myself. If they have a huge ability, give them an easily exploited weakness. Make them strong, but balanced.

8. Have fun!

I very intentionally left the familiar system vague and loose ended. I wanted you all to mix and match. Come up with weird and wonderful combinations that make your familiar unique to you. I would appreciate if you ran ideas by me before you solidify them. I won't tell you what to do, but I will offer opinion and solutions to help fit the world if asked.

World building is under way, but remember that I want you to affect the world in your own way. However that may be. This world is yours to explore and shape. Be sure to have fun with it. I will try to apply story elements to help with the fable you want to weave. I can't wait to see our stories unfold!

First of all,not sure I'm going to ask to participate,but one of the books I found quite interesting (if not necessarily favourite) was Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Second of all,how would you classify a familiar that generates an area in which the user can conjure non-autonomous humanoid assistants/soldiers? Which is to say that they're puppets that the user has to command mentally or verbally.

Would a Type: Territory familiar suffice for that capability,or does it have to be Type: Beast > Type: Legion?

First of all,not sure I'm going to ask to participate,but one of the books I found quite interesting (if not necessarily favourite) was Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Second of all,how would you classify a familiar that generates an area in which the user can conjure non-autonomous humanoid assistants/soldiers? Which is to say that they're puppets that the user has to command mentally or verbally.

Would a Type: Territory familiar suffice for that capability,or does it have to be Type: Beast > Type: Legion?
Firstly, great book choice.

Secondly, that could go one of two ways. If they are made of wood or some inorganic matter, that would be a Territory Familiar. If they are living beings, spirits or things like that, it's a High End Beast Familiar to Legion.

Time to show off my slime thingy. My favorite book is in Indonesian so I will just share the english one, it's the Bartimaeus trilogy.

This sounds pretty cool! Just a couple of Questions,

1.- Can you ride a beast? If they have a Beast Guardians that is a big wolf, can the character ride it? Or be lifted and moved by a large group of Beast Legion that looks like an ant?

2.- Does the beast familiar gather the abilities of its form? Like, a dolphin swims fast, an eagle flies, etc, etc

3.- They talk about "Monks and Paladins", does this mean the MC can have classes? Like, other abilities to let them fight besides the familiars?

4.- What do you do in a Guild? Go look for treasure? Research magic and familiars? Hunt monsters?

5.- The story said that there was an increase of familiar popularity, does this mean anyone can use magic? Or at least magic to summon a familiar?

6.- And last question, in the competitions people do with familiar. What makes the best familiar? Just if it is a rare type or something more?

Also! For the Book question, I have to go to my all time favorite, "Un embrujo de cinco siglos" (A spell of five centuries), its a book I read when little and love it. I'm not sure if they have an english version 🤔

This sounds pretty cool! Just a couple of Questions,

1.- Can you ride a beast? If they have a Beast Guardians that is a big wolf, can the character ride it? Or be lifted and moved by a large group of Beast Legion that looks like an ant?

2.- Does the beast familiar gather the abilities of its form? Like, a dolphin swims fast, an eagle flies, etc, etc

3.- They talk about "Monks and Paladins", does this mean the MC can have classes? Like, other abilities to let them fight besides the familiars?

4.- What do you do in a Guild? Go look for treasure? Research magic and familiars? Hunt monsters?

5.- The story said that there was an increase of familiar popularity, does this mean anyone can use magic? Or at least magic to summon a familiar?

6.- And last question, in the competitions people do with familiar. What makes the best familiar? Just if it is a rare type or something more?

Also! For the Book question, I have to go to my all time favorite, "Un embrujo de cinco siglos" (A spell of five centuries), its a book I read when little and love it. I'm not sure if they have an english version 🤔
Well, that was an impressive list. Most of it is easily answered.

There is basically no limit to how you construct your familiar and how the character interacts with it. While no class system exists, you can build a character as though it does and construct the familiar to fit that. Think of Familiar's in this world like the ultimate personalized tool. Each on specifically designed for a person, magic or no.

Competition with Familiar's takes all sorts of forms. Things almost like dog shows, fights, races, talent shows. With infinite possibilities, there are infinite ways to show them off.

The guild is your standard adventure guild. Some quests are small and easy, others fight massive monsters and save the world. This world is built for you to do whatever you want. Anything from kill and explore to run a forge or open an inn. As stated, the world is completely open.

You mentioned having a maiden or apostle familiar would be like playing two characters. So couldn’t two people team up and one be the master and other be the familiar if they wanted to?

You mentioned having a maiden or apostle familiar would be like playing two characters. So couldn’t two people team up and one be the master and other be the familiar if they wanted to?
Technically yes, but I would prefer not to do that. I have nothing against a pair of friends, but I wanted it to be more of a personal journey. I wanted to see how you developed your story.

It also seemed inappropriate that another person play your familiar, since the familiar is an extension of your character.

However, if you have a buddy in mind, you both can talk to me about you idea. If it's an interesting enough idea, I may let it slide.

Greetings and salutations! I'm up for this. I was mulling a few ideas where my guy is like a Paladin/Knight who's mute and is like always armored and constantly misunderstood because he can't speak and is an intimidating person but is actually kinda nice. And then his familiar is a Maiden/Apostle who translates for him LOL

And my favorite book? I don't actually read a lot now that I think about it but I greatly enjoyed the Red Queen series.

Greetings and salutations! I'm up for this. I was mulling a few ideas where my guy is like a Paladin/Knight who's mute and is like always armored and constantly misunderstood because he can't speak and is an intimidating person but is actually kinda nice. And then his familiar is a Maiden/Apostle who translates for him LOL

And my favorite book? I don't actually read a lot now that I think about it but I greatly enjoyed the Red Queen series.
Great book choice! Also, that's sounds good. I may have to limit the amount of maidens and apostles as they are supposed to be rare. However, I am sure you can use your idea.

Thank you very much!

I want to try out this dynamic for a while and I think it'll be fun to bounce it around in a group setting as well.

I have been reading this for a while, and it had caught my interest. ٩(◕‿◕)۶ However I have a small question for Paladins and Maidens, since they are a hybrid does this mean they can also revert back to being a beast (if it was one of their five basics) As for a favorite book I read too many so… perhaps Alice in Wonderland?

I have been reading this for a while, and it had caught my interest. ٩(◕‿◕)۶ However I have a small question for Paladins and Maidens, since they are a hybrid does this mean they can also revert back to being a beast (if it was one of their five basics) As for a favorite book I read too many so… perhaps Alice in Wonderland?
Well, Beasts cannot be Maidens, so there is no reverting l. Maiden's are a rare class of Familiar. As such, they are generally just in maiden form passively and must be activated. But, I must warn you that I have to limit maiden's and apostles, since they are supposed to be rare. I will take a count of who wants to use them and we will decide on a number as a group.

Thank you for answering. ^^ I simply was asking and not that I am looking for a maiden role.

Great! Now, the matter of your favorite book?
Oh! Right…..Hmmmm that’s a hard one. I don’t know if I have a fav but I guess if I had to choose……Wings by Aprilynn Pike…..well really the whole series though I do like Cinders….Then there’s Tigerlily…..😂 I could be here all day thinking about this. So I’ll just go with the Wings series.

Oh! Right…..Hmmmm that’s a hard one. I don’t know if I have a fav but I guess if I had to choose……Wings by Aprilynn Pike…..well really the whole series though I do like Cinders….Then there’s Tigerlily…..😂 I could be here all day thinking about this. So I’ll just go with the Wings series.
Perfect!

do maidens/apostles who are beast types have characteristics of the beast they become or is that something we get to decide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back