• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Abyssals 2.5 - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I can see it now: I hit someone for a shit-ton of post soak damage and Psychie tells us the target is still standing. Yikes.

Ancestor worship is a big thing in Exalted, all of which feeds up the chain to the Neverborn with the Deathlords being their high priests. Even the abyssals themselves can have a cult following them, providing extra Willpower to you on a daily basis.

I like the third option the best, but setting up a spy network in the heart of the Autochthon invasion force would be a huge coup.
Neat, that helps! Exploring abyssal spirituality does sound like fun. Will go with either concept 1 or 3, leaning 3 bit will see how things shake out once I start putting numbers down.
I will also say there will be some direct combat for your characters to deal with, so some fighting skill is advised. I am also considering using a house rule that would grant Ox-Body Technique to everyone based on your Essence, but that is still in the consideration phase.
Ohh, good to know!

I am going to go ahead and let everyone have one free Ox-Body Technique for every dot of Permanent Essence you have. That change has already been added to the House Rules in the Character thread.

Psychie Psychie A quick question for you regarding an artifact from DotFA. The Infinite Resplendence Amulet in the Lords of Creation book, pg 118, normally can be made of Jade, Starmetal, Moonsilver, or Orichalcum. Here is the item:
INFINITE RESPLENDENCE AMULET
(ARTIFACT ••• TO •••••)
Consisting of aspect-dedicated magical material lattices embedded in synthetic adamant matrices, these thumbnail-sized baubles are the most ubiquitous artifact garments currently in fashion among the Chosen. Some elder Exalted object to them on principle,
especially the “wear nothing you didn’t make” purists and the “mansions of closets” hedonists, though the latter sometimes collect hundreds of amulets to display their collection of brand glyphs from highly regarded Exalted and Jadeborn artisans.
Although the devices vary by model, each costs five motes to attune. The devices have the following common features:
Modular Attire: The amulet can generate any form of outfit the wearer can imagine, however grand or humble. Changing the setting requires contact and a diceless miscellaneous action. Repairing or cleaning a worn outfit takes the same action as creating a new one. Created clothes have no reality beyond being an extension of the amulet, so they dissolve or flow back into the artifact if they are removed for any reason. Most wearers integrate the amulet itself as an accessory of each outfit, especially to show off impressive brand glyphs.
Protection: Regardless of configuration, enchantments in the amulet provide +1L/+1B soak (which does not count as armor for Charm purposes), plus an extra success to all Resistance or Survival rolls to reduce or avoid the effects of deleterious environmental conditions, toxins or disease. In addition, each amulet also has one material-specific feature by default. Composite designs cost •••• for one additional feature or ••••• for all four material features. Provided a copy of the artifact incorporates the material that naturally resonates with its wearer, there is no commitment surcharge to attune a composite model.
Orichalcum: These amulets create clothes as constructs of solidified light, giving them a palette of colors and textures worthy of a Solar’s glory. As an Obvious effect, such raiment gives its wearer +4 Appearance and inhibits stealth like an 8–10 mote anima banner does. The Solar may hide this glory to make humbler attire if his pride permits, but the bonus is all or nothing.
Moonsilver: Extruding outfits as a diaphanous second skin grown from liquid metal tendrils, these amulets provide superior protection and camouflage on demand. The wearer gets two bonus dice to Stealth rolls and two bonus dice to assume a disguise with Larceny, as well as replacing the usual soak bonus with +5L/+5B (that stacks with and is still not considered armor for Charms).
Starmetal: Weaving clothes from strands of the wearer’s own fate, these amulets provide extremely subtle and understated elegance. Such garments conceal numerous pockets folded into Elsewhere, providing sufficient storage space to carry up to a ton of assorted items safely out of reach of the world, provided the objects could actually fit through a pocket opening no larger than a foot across. Only the attuned wearer can reach into Elsewhere via these pockets; to others, they are merely stitched folds. In the event of the wearer’s death, his corpse fades into Elsewhere with his possessions for burial among the interstices of fate, leaving only his enchanted clothes to mark his passage.
Jade: Micro-articulated jade scales unfold from the amulet into glossy military uniforms appropriate for elite Dragon-Blooded officers. When worn by a unit relay, the wearer counts as five relays for the purposes of preventing communication failure. When worn by a unit commander, her dignified example provides one bonus dot each to Drill and Morale, as well as +1 Might if the unit has Magnitude 3 or less.
There is no version that includes Soulsteel. I would like to propose that a version of this item that is a 'dark' mirror to the Orichalcum material, made of darkness, that grants the same bonus effect to the wearer but in a dark and creepy yet still beautiful and sexy as a five dot artifact, and drop the Orichalcum from it completely, and I doubt that I would ever use the Jade bonus. Would this change be allowed?

So you are looking for a five dot artifact that has the benefits of Starmetal, Moonsilver, and Orichalcum, but instead of the Orichalcum, you want it to be a dark, creepy Elvira Mistress of the Dark kind of look? Yes, I will allow that.

Beep boop I'm down to clown.

So, what does 'some fighting skill' entail? You can invest between 0 and like 400 charms in fighting prowess, and I don't usually run combat characters nor do most games I'm in see a whole lot of action. I'm not really equipped to know where to draw the line. Should I aim for a perfect defense + an excellency? Or is that too little?

Beep boop I'm down to clown.

So, what does 'some fighting skill' entail? You can invest between 0 and like 400 charms in fighting prowess, and I don't usually run combat characters nor do most games I'm in see a whole lot of action. I'm not really equipped to know where to draw the line. Should I aim for a perfect defense + an excellency? Or is that too little?
Great to have you!

An Excellency and a few dots of a fighting skill should be enough to get you through a fight without feeling like a total target. I just don't want you to be 100% focused on a diplomat or spymaster (for example) without at least some means of dishing out a few dice in combat.

Nifty. If I do the bishop they would probably be midnight, in which case I have Resistance as favored. And there seems to be some combat applicability in both Presence and Performance trees, so I think it will all work out.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards my martial artist than the necromancer idea, but I haven't decided completely yet.

I have this thought of the bishop being a kind of dark angel (because there is no level of gothy edgyness that will escape us this game), are you able to buy in mutations in 2e? Or maybe some necrotech wings or something?

There is an artifact in Dreams of the First Age that would be good for that; let me look it up real quick.

CHAOMORPHIC
SYMBIOTE
(ARTIFACT •
TO •••••)
As cutting edge as a
new pair of wings might
be, many Exalted just don’t
feel comfortable altering
themselves in a permanent
fashion until they are really
sure that doing so is right
for them. Chaomorphic
symbiotes provide that middle option, designed for quick
attunement and quick removal as circumstances warrant.
In their natural state, these genesis artifacts exist as
viscous masses of iridescent protoplasm. Contact with a
willing host awakens them, at which point they rapidly
ooze across the offered surface to form a membrane and
begin the attunement process. After five minutes of bonding,
the organism soaks completely into its host’s tissue and
out of sight, forcing a one-mote commitment, but remains
visible to Essence sight. Discontinuing the attunement to
a chaomorphic symbiote forcibly ejects it through available
orifices and pores, inflicting one level of unsoakable lethal
damage to the host.
While hosting one of these artifacts, a character can
manifest any or all of the mutations programmed into it,
transforming her body as needed to access these powers.
Hosting requires a reflexive indefinite commitment of ([sum
of positive mutations manifested – sum of negative mutations
manifested] x 2) motes. (The difference between the two
aforementioned sums cannot be less than zero, even if the
symbiote has more negative mutations manifested than positive
ones.) The Artifact rating of the symbiote determines the
maximum number of mutation points that may be conferred,
as noted on the accompanying table. This value also caps the
total value of positive mutations that may be programmed
into the artifact at the time of its Creation. (Negative mutations
do not count against the limit, but Storytellers should
probably limit them to a total value no greater than the total
value of positive changes.) Mutations gained this way do not
decrease one’s viability in Creation.
Mortals can even attune to these devices without enlightened
Essence if they dare, as the process temporarily
gives them a pool of (Essence x 10) motes with which to
manifest mutations. This power comes with a steep price
however, as the symbiote generates the motes by feeding
on its host’s life, aging her at twice her normal rate like
a set of aegis-inset amulets (see The Books of Sorcery,
Vol. I—Wonders of the Lost Age, p. 71). Still, it makes
a fascinating maintenance-free alternative to gunzosha
armor (see The Books of Sorcery, Vol. I—Wonders of
the Lost Age, p. 81).
Rating Mutation Points

Only downside with it being an artifact is that the character can be tormented by feelings of alienation, which are so conductive for brooding.
"I'M A MONSTER, GAAAH!"

If you just want a pair of functional wings, you can also buy them as a part of your bonus points instead of having the artifact. One benefit to it is that the wings can be retracted into you and it would allow you to blend into the mortals around you without having your wings sticking out.

One benefit to it is that the wings can be retracted into you and it would allow you to blend into the mortals around you without having your wings sticking out.
But I don't wanna blend into the mortals around me. I wanna be bewinged Skeletor!

Is Deliverer of Dark Dreams and Nightmares acting in the open in Creation? Or is she a hidden threat?

I can't decide between a Essence 3 or Essence 4 for my martial artist. I want E4, but I can use those bonus points for two more Charms if I go E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back