Experiences Abandoned. Uncharted. Deadly. Do you miss the Futuristic tag as well?

Bullyboy Squad

pure of heart, dumb of ass
Why is nobody interested in exploring the challenges of life on a space station, scientific and military expeditions gone wrong, colonizing breathtaking yet hostile planets, or rediscovering the old, now uncharted world, once known as Earth?

I wish we could see more, well-thought-out and plot-driven roleplays like that. Adventure or horror or...something else. Tell us about the ones you experienced or would like to join. Or is there something you hate about these types of rps?

I have noticed that this site seems to lean heavily towards fandom RP's. Original ideas in general are much harder to get off the ground. I'm not really sure why.

I have noticed that this site seems to lean heavily towards fandom RP's. Original ideas in general are much harder to get off the ground. I'm not really sure why.

Rather than this site, it seems to me that it is the case in most places. The reason, I believe, is that fandoms tend to be the entry point for a lot of roleplayers, but don't tend to loose that much appeal over time: A person may not be interested in the same fandoms, but there will still be some fandoms they enjoy, while a lot of newer players are drawn into roleplay by the fandom, so naturally have an overwhelmingly greater focus on fandoms or even a specific fandom.

Mix that greater rate of initial interests that dwindles but doesn't dissipate over time, with the fact that a lot of people want to get as many roleplayers as they can in their roleplays and you get where the net could land.

Why is nobody interested in exploring the challenges of life on a space station, scientific and military expeditions gone wrong, colonizing breathtaking yet hostile planets, or rediscovering the old, now uncharted world, once known as Earth?

I wish we could see more, well-thought-out and plot-driven roleplays like that. Adventure or horror or...something else. Tell us about the ones you experienced or would like to join. Or is there something you hate about these types of rps?

Well, for starters, I do think people are interested in those things still. A quick search filtering group RPs by futuristic (and sorting by 1st message first to get order of creation) resulted in 4/5 of the RPs on the top of the page fitting exactly the themes you mentioned, and all made within the past month and an average number of replies on those interest checks of 10.5 replies. It's not exactly what one would call a ghost town, even with the most rudimentary search.

So, rather than a lack of interest, it's more likely that there isn't sufficient interest for more. It may sound pedantic, but fundamentally the distinction is that that there is a bar to overcome. That bar is other roleplays. A roleplay doesn't just have to be good, it has to be better than the alternative. People may simply be more interested in other things, and I'm sure a roleplay within the parameters you want could very well be successful just by overcoming that gap with the skill and creativity of the makers or just by finding the right crowd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaving that aside, I don't hate those types of RPs- heck, I did try to do with a 1x1 plot before about a pair of alien scavengers discovering the ruins of Earth, and some time ago I even joined a spaceship crew roleplay where I played as an android (however this last one I joined by a friend's invitation, and left when it turned out the roleplay was going too fast and too short for me).

However, as a rule of thumb those kinds of RPs do tend to push too much into the realism side of things for my tastes, and rather than present something to be fascinated by, they tend to either assume whatever find cool you will too, or not even bother presenting stuff and make a bunch of mystery boxes. Meanwhile your own character will have a lot more limited tools, in both character creation and actual roleplay, or problems in the RP could become too simple to solve.

All of those problems I pointed above? Probably not even that hard to solve. But it's not generally the style of people making the kinds of RPs you're talking about.

I just wanna grill, man.
I'm very daunted by extravagant ideas that take me hours to read through and require novella-style posts from me because it's a MASSIVE dedication that may not even be seen to the end. Imagine putting days of effort into essentially writing (and reading) a book with other people and suddenly it's cancelled to never be picked up again because someone left or OP lost motivation, heck no. It's probably a lot easier for some people to write out a lot in a short span of time but the vast majority of people struggle with that and are just looking for something casual so they can play as someone they're not for a little bit.
That's just for group RPs though, 1x1 I'm slightly more willing to put up with large projects because I only have to put some faith in one person but even then they're a complete stranger and may suddenly leave- which is fine with me, I'm actually for ghosting, but I think you can see where I'm getting.
Let me put it like this, a simple idea I just had to give a quick paragraph or two on- or just using common fandom knowledge that everyone involved knows- is like walking on a shaky bridge but the bridge just goes over a small stream, if it breaks I just wring my clothes and get back up. An entire universe of original lore is like walking on a shaky bridge over a canyon. Maybe some people have parachutes or something but I certainly don't.
Plus I don't know how other people write and build their stories, as an anime fan I probably won't like stories made by someone who enjoys western films even if I share some interest in the general topic.
but this is in no way bashing complex stories, I think they are incredibly impressive and the people who dedicate time to that are the most eccentric and interesting fellows I know, it just isn't as E for Everyone as it seems. If I had the patience and was absolutely certain I'd adore the story for a thing like that, I would join, I just don't want to drag the rest of the group down.
also I feel like a LOT of people who RP in fandoms are hyper-fixating on it and that's their way of venting off all the energy they have to dedicate to it, which is definitely something I do.

Rather than this site, it seems to me that it is the case in most places. The reason, I believe, is that fandoms tend to be the entry point for a lot of roleplayers, but don't tend to loose that much appeal over time: A person may not be interested in the same fandoms, but there will still be some fandoms they enjoy, while a lot of newer players are drawn into roleplay by the fandom, so naturally have an overwhelmingly greater focus on fandoms or even a specific fandom.

Mix that greater rate of initial interests that dwindles but doesn't dissipate over time, with the fact that a lot of people want to get as many roleplayers as they can in their roleplays and you get where the net could land.
I must be an odd exception then since it was a love of writing and storytelling that got me interested in RP.

also I feel like a LOT of people who RP in fandoms are hyper-fixating on it and that's their way of venting off all the energy they have to dedicate to it, which is definitely something I do.

As a person who fixates on fandom RPs and the gateway to roleplaying was fandom-related and most of what I'm interested in are settings I'm familiar with and can easily find information on, I'm going to choose a fandom RP. All of my RPs are fandom-related except for one, and I enjoy them all equally. However, fandoms are much easier for me to jump into as I have seen the content before, and it's easier to make a plot that puts a spin on that fandom or make an AU based on what we want without having to do all the work of creating a setting. However, kudos to those who are really good at creating original worlds and plots and stuff. It's just not my cup of tea.

I must be an odd exception then since it was a love of writing and storytelling that got me interested in RP.

I wouldn't say they are mutually exclusive things. I'm living proof of that- what led me to discovering RP in the first place was my desire to write about a certain fandom. I loved the fandom, I wanted to share the ideas I had about it, but I also love writing and storytelling, so that was my medium of choice.

I wouldn't say they are mutually exclusive things. I'm living proof of that- what led me to discovering RP in the first place was my desire to write about a certain fandom. I loved the fandom, I wanted to share the ideas I had about it, but I also love writing and storytelling, so that was my medium of choice.

Oh, I meant it in the sense that I'm not interested in writing fandom stuff at all. I will occasionally, but it's strictly OC's only. Basically it's a whole new story that just happens to take place in an already established universe or setting. Usually because I like the universe/setting and want to explore the dynamics of it further.

Oh, I meant it in the sense that I'm not interested in writing fandom stuff at all. I will occasionally, but it's strictly OC's only. Basically it's a whole new story that just happens to take place in an already established universe or setting. Usually because I like the universe/setting and want to explore the dynamics of it further.

Oh no worries, I did understand what you meant :) though as someone who does not allow canon characters in fandom roleplays, I would still consider OC-based ones to be fandom roleplays. I do enjoy fandoms more often than do not for the setting or established structures within it as well.

As a person who fixates on fandom RPs and the gateway to roleplaying was fandom-related and most of what I'm interested in are settings I'm familiar with and can easily find information on, I'm going to choose a fandom RP. All of my RPs are fandom-related except for one, and I enjoy them all equally. However, fandoms are much easier for me to jump into as I have seen the content before, and it's easier to make a plot that puts a spin on that fandom or make an AU based on what we want without having to do all the work of creating a setting. However, kudos to those who are really good at creating original worlds and plots and stuff. It's just not my cup of tea.
I can create original worlds. I just choose not to since RP's rarely last long enough to commit to doing so. If I do an original RP I will typically set it in our own world or a world exactly like ours (except with names changed up so it's still fictional locations).

Thank you everybody for responding!

Oh, I didn't even mean just original ideas. I could list a ton (or...at least a few) fandoms in the genre that would be awesome to rp in.

Well, for starters, I do think people are interested in those things still. A quick search filtering group RPs by futuristic (and sorting by 1st message first to get order of creation) resulted in 4/5 of the RPs on the top of the page fitting exactly the themes you mentioned, and all made within the past month and an average number of replies on those interest checks of 10.5 replies. It's not exactly what one would call a ghost town, even with the most rudimentary search.
I agree, I used the word "nobody" for the sake of emphasis but yeah I can see one, maybe two Futuristic tags every page (in Group search)...aaand a whole lot of fantasy and fandom (rarely realistic sci-fi fandoms, which I favor over say, anime style). So to me, it looks like the majority of people are not into that type of roleplay, yeah (or at least not enough to choose them over others, or to offer quality ICs themselves). Hopefully, those who are will see my post and feel inspired to start one xp

extravagant ideas
I don't think the scenarios I listed have to fall into such a category. Especially if you're drawing from existing works of fiction, leaving some things generic or some creative liberties to your players, etc. Unless anything that is not a slice of life or set in the modern day we'd call extravagant, then I could agree with such a label.

require novella-style posts
I don't associate the futuristic roleplays with such requirements. So far I actually saw many (from the small bunch that exists here) that have low requirements when it comes to writing level. I am a huge fan of high-quality short posts. I find novella posts (except for occasionally valid or even due, exposition and retrospective posts) redundant. Especially that most rpers (I'm sure me included) are often missing writing cues, which paired up with novella length posts can affect the flow of the scene and general immersion.

RP's rarely last long enough to commit to doing so
it's a MASSIVE dedication that may not even be seen to the end. Imagine putting days of effort into essentially writing (and reading) a book with other people and suddenly it's cancelled to never be picked up again because someone left or OP lost motivation, heck no
I don't feel like playing with the scenarios I listed demand more dedication than most fantasy settings (which seem to me to be major popular) and I also think you can successfully refurbish or even straight-up borrow some fandom settings in the genre.

As for personal commitment, I have this rule that everything I do rp-wise I do for myself. Even if I put a lot of effort into some setting or just into a single post, it does not oblige anyone to anything at all. No matter how excited or proud I am of my work, they don't have to admire, enjoy, reply or stick around to read it, even after originally showing interest. Unless they want to. So I don't get upset if my rp doesn't last, I enjoyed the process that led to it nevertheless. And I try to appreciate the sense of fulfillment I get with every idea I come up with. With every little post, even if there were just a few. As well as the lessons I've learnt from interacting with other rpers.

But I do understand it's hard to detach from your darlings and watch your creation fail to draw or keep other people's interest. Though that doesn't change the fact that there seems to be greater demand and supply for fantasy stories, which I'd argue are often more demanding world-building/dedication-wise. So it just makes me conclude that much fewer people are into the Futuristic tag stories which I find very appealing. Which is nothing more or less than a pity :3

I think due to the whole science fiction aspect, people find it too grounded in spite of the fact that a lot of sci-fi is extremely liberal in how it actually interprets the science and franchises like Star Wars and 40K are arguably more of fantasy settings with a very light sci-fi veneer. Personally, I'm of the "sufficiently advanced technology (in fiction) is indistinguishable from magic" camp though that's more about the aesthetic of sci-fi than its philosophy and meaning.

I do run one myself - The Exile Battalion but it's not necessarily about the science or technology as much as politically pushed violence.

I think due to the whole science fiction aspect, people find it too grounded in spite of the fact that a lot of sci-fi is extremely liberal in how it actually interprets the science and franchises like Star Wars and 40K are arguably more of fantasy settings with a very light sci-fi veneer. Personally, I'm of the "sufficiently advanced technology (in fiction) is indistinguishable from magic" camp though that's more about the aesthetic of sci-fi than its philosophy and meaning.

I do run one myself - The Exile Battalion but it's not necessarily about the science or technology as much as politically pushed violence.
This is precisely why sci-fi and fantasy are often grouped together I think. Personally I prefer the more realistic hard scientific type sci-fi. Stuff like Interstellar (I fucking love that movie).

This is precisely why sci-fi and fantasy are often grouped together I think. Personally I prefer the more realistic hard scientific type sci-fi. Stuff like Interstellar (I fucking love that movie).

Humorously enough, I've heard a lot of astrophysicists and such weren't huge fans of its supposed science haha.

I think due to the whole science fiction aspect, people find it too grounded in spite of the fact that a lot of sci-fi is extremely liberal in how it actually interprets the science a
Actually, now when I think about it...I think you're right, but maybe It's not just that. Maybe the genre is too "realistic" for fantasy fans and not realistic enough for modern settings fans...

In my experience, the Futuristic tag doesn't really cater to the branches of sci-fi I really want to explore (spy-fi, trippy new wave SF, pulpy space stuff in the old tradition). There's a lot of untapped potential there.

I remember there being a lot of military sci-fi RPs built around ideas from big franchises (Halo, the aspects of Warhammer 40k that have crossover appeal, etc.), so I'm not surprised that a lot of them either started roleplaying those fandoms proper or found greener pastures on other sites.

In my experience, the Futuristic tag doesn't really cater to the branches of sci-fi I really want to explore (spy-fi, trippy new wave SF, pulpy space stuff in the old tradition). There's a lot of untapped potential there.

I remember there being a lot of military sci-fi RPs built around ideas from big franchises (Halo, the aspects of Warhammer 40k that have crossover appeal, etc.), so I'm not surprised that a lot of them either started roleplaying those fandoms proper or found greener pastures on other sites.
Yeah... It's especially difficult to find your type of sci-fi when the tag is not popular (my favorite is mainly a realistic take on the future - for today's standards - and advanced tech, anything between near future on Earth or space opera in a different dimension, as long as it's not too far-fetched). Because peeps who are into the same thing we are might advertise it at a different date than when we're searching for it. Which is unfortunate.

I think some of it is that sci-fi/futuristic can be intimidating, depending on the level of realism expected, because of the science part specifically. I’m currently roleplaying both a fantasy and a sci-fi storyline, and while both take research (I’m drawing a lot of inspiration and terminology from history as well as some specific cultures for fantasy), the research for the sci-fi rp takes more effort on my end because AI, mechatronics, and tech in general are just not my fields. I’m not familiar with them even in the vague way I’m familiar with military chains of command, for example. Most everyone has a vague idea of how a royal court works, because of the books and movies and legends that are popular in a lot of places. Not everyone knows the basics of a space station, and people might be scared of getting it wrong if their partner(s) are super into the realism of the experience.

My point is, people might gravitate more towards setting where realism doesn’t matter (fantasy) or where there’s enough established that you can’t really mess it up (fandom), rather than a genre where you either need some kind of base knowledge for the RP to even make sense or have to be willing to look into a bit, which might not be everybody’s cup of tea. In other words, it’s a hobby, and some people probably prefer to roleplay something they know or can easily wing than have to create something that makes sense according to fields they might not be familiar with.

I think some of it is that sci-fi/futuristic can be intimidating, depending on the level of realism expected, because of the science part specifically. I’m currently roleplaying both a fantasy and a sci-fi storyline, and while both take research (I’m drawing a lot of inspiration and terminology from history as well as some specific cultures for fantasy), the research for the sci-fi rp takes more effort on my end because AI, mechatronics, and tech in general are just not my fields. I’m not familiar with them even in the vague way I’m familiar with military chains of command, for example. Most everyone has a vague idea of how a royal court works, because of the books and movies and legends that are popular in a lot of places. Not everyone knows the basics of a space station, and people might be scared of getting it wrong if their partner(s) are super into the realism of the experience.

My point is, people might gravitate more towards setting where realism doesn’t matter (fantasy) or where there’s enough established that you can’t really mess it up (fandom), rather than a genre where you either need some kind of base knowledge for the RP to even make sense or have to be willing to look into a bit, which might not be everybody’s cup of tea. In other words, it’s a hobby, and some people probably prefer to roleplay something they know or can easily wing than have to create something that makes sense according to fields they might not be familiar with.
This is an excellent point. There's definitely reasons why hard sci-fi fans are associated with certain stereotypes...

This is an excellent point. There's definitely reasons why hard sci-fi fans are associated with certain stereotypes...
Definitely. I think if an RP has to be rooted in certain disciplines to even be enjoyable for both people or for one person not to be going “??? what ur character just did is not how that works”, then it’s exclusionary already to people who aren’t interested or knowledgeable about those specific things. That isn’t inherently bad, but it does mean you’re going to get less people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back