• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Shifting World

There was something strange about someone choosing her over something more appealing, but she pressed her lips together against the comment. "Not everything has to be seen to be pretty," Mag said plainly, nearly up to her elbows in the plants now. She made sure to keep her face away from what she was doing, not wanting to lean too close and get scratched. "The shape of the flowers, the way the petals and leaves feel, the smell--I think that's what makes a plant pretty. Don't you?"

She could have left it there, but something tugged at her to be a little more honest. "Dahlias. My grandmother--my mother's mother--had wanted to grow them, but they were too time-consuming, and she had become too sick to work in the garden like she used to. So she's gone now, and I grow them instead."

Mag pressed her mouth into a line as if signalling the end of the conversation, pulling the last of the weeds from the garden bed. "Well," she said quickly, straightening from her hunched position. "The marigolds near the front door need weeding too. Watch where you walk." She swiped at her face again, leaving a streak of dirt along her cheek, and pulled the trash bag of weeds along the path toward the flower beds.

Last edited:
Kit did not agree on the smell of the dahlias being pleasant, although she supposed there were worse smelling scents in the world. For now she would settle on them being pretty, something she could see and confirm. It felt like a pity that Missulvan couldn't see them.

The news of more weeds to pick didn't daunt Kit. This was comfortable work and with company she enjoyed, even if it meant a little sweat and dirt was involved. And now she'd hear of Missulvan's grandmother? This home was beautiful, what on earth could have made her choose to leave? Kit felt that if she could stay she would as long as possible.

Trailing after once more, Kit slipped into her own thoughts while they ventured to the marigolds. She had to wonder what life was like for Missulvan in a world that saw her but that she couldn't see. Just as she came to the flowers in question, Kit spotted the dirt streak and without thinking reached in and wiped it away with her own thumb. She knew that if she didn't, it could easily be on Missulvan for who knows how long, unable to spot the mess. "Dirt," she explained, before she couldn't contain her curiosity. "Could see before?"

Her eyebrows raised in surprise, though she managed to keep her face otherwise impassive at the gesture. She almost reached up to touch the spot Kit had just brushed but thought better of it, realizing it was probably her own hand that had left the mark to begin with. "Thank you." Kneeling in the dirt, this time she was fully engrossed now that the plant in question was on ground level rather than a raised flower bed. It was easier to bury herself in activity rather than think about things she didn't want to feel.

Mag quickly showed Kit the leaves and flowers for comparison, then began pulling weed after weed from the root before she answered the girl's question. "Not really. Well, yes. Not very well, but enough to see some details, some colors, things like that. Again, nothing clear enough to be useful, so I never relied on it very much to get around. When you've grown up seeing less than everyone else and learning to do things without looking, it's easier to keep doing things that way rather than trying to use your eyes, because you already know how to function without them. You see what I mean?"

She continued to work as she spoke, sorting the weeds from the flowers and yanking up handfuls of crabgrass. "The wind chime on the back porch that's made out of glass bits was something Alex and I made a long time ago. That was when I could see light a bit, so we found as many shiny things as we could and Buna helped us string them up. There are still some sun catchers in the window, things like that around the house. Oh, and the church windows--did you get to see those? I loved those when I was little. That's why I've always gone there."

The air was suddenly cooler as the sun faded behind a cloud, and for a moment the only sounds were the bees and the wind blowing through the tree branches. "Well, you've been awfully curious about me today," she remarked after some length, pausing to scratch at her non-gloved hand. "I would have thought you'd be wondering about our trip out today instead."

Kit worked studiously at removing weeds from the new flowers. Marigolds didn't smell as bitter as a dahlia, though they did have a bit of a smell that she couldn't describe, unfamiliar with the idea of a musk. Instead she continued to pluck away the weeds and add them to the garbage bag that was beginning to grow full. She looked up from her work as Missulvan answered, enticed.

She could see once, but not well. Just hearing that caused Kit's heart to sink, feeling sympathetic toward the woman who had been so kind to her. She hadn't been able to see these flowers more than colorful blurs, which didn't do them justice. Her gaze dropped back to the plants, shiftings lightly on her knees where she perched carefully, glad to be able to give her feet a break. The sores were stlil there and ached from time to time, though she did her best to ignore them.

"A lot on trip," she responded to Missulvan's observation. So much so, that she had nearly forgotten things she wanted to ask about. "At church, Tom asked..." Her mind fumbled trying to recall just how he had worded it. Her face scrunched as she struggled before recalling at least part of the conversation. "Food. Food or some thing?" There were more things, no doubt, but for now she wanted to address one topic at a time.

"Oh, right. Tom Bailey." Mag paused to remember what she'd heard of their earlier conversation. "Mrs. Bailey checks in with me every so often, so she'll likely come around and ask if we want to go over to her house to eat lunch someday. Which we can, if you want to, but maybe not just yet. We'll give you some time to get settled in, then we'll see."

She thought of Tom's words and demeanor, always kind but often anxious, and wondered if he'd seemed any different that day. Eat or something. She'd heard that one once or twice and was aware of its implied meaning, though as she wasn't sure if that's what Tom had meant, she didn't bother to bring it up. "Did Tom say 'hang out'? That's something like...spending time together, having fun. Doing different things, like going to a restaurant to eat or seeing a movie together. Again, you could do that if you want to, but..." She chewed her lip in thought, shifting to another angle to get at the deeper patches of weeds hidden in the marigold shrub. She didn't yet think it wise for Kit to be out on her own, especially knowing whoever it was that had kept her would want her back: an unknown, unfamiliar someone they might not recognize. Realizing she'd begun to taste blood, she snapped out of her thoughts. "But we need to make sure you're safe first before going out with anyone else."

Last edited:
Kit found it amusing just how different mother and son had seemed to be. Mrs. Bailey always seemed so confident when she spoke - and boy did she speak a lot! Perhaps Tom's uncertainty came from having to guess when it was his turn to speak or when his mother was finally done talking.

Perking as it was clear Missulvan was deep in thought, Kit wondered just what had her attention. Talk of eating - even if it was already done many times that day - was still greatly appreciated. Their overabundance of food was a wonder and she wasn't going to say no if it was being offered. Still, 'hanging out' seemed like it meant more than just a meal like she'd had with Missulvan.

"Wait for hang out," she confirmed. Kit's faith in Missulvan was unwavering, and if it was best to wait and be safe, she would wait. Besides, she suspected there woudl be more food in the meantime. "Movie together?"

"Kind of like what you were watching on the screen earlier, the stories that were being played out. But instead of watching it at home on a tv, you go to a theater and watch it on a big screen with other people. It's something a lot of people like to do--especially with their friends, which I'm sure is why Thomas asked you."

Satisfied with the amount of weeds they'd removed, Mag tied the bag up, hauling it towards one of the large trash cans at the side of the house and brushing her hands against her skirt as she did so. She began unlooping the water hose, dragging it toward the plants. "Should have watered them before we pulled the weeds," she muttered, giving it a tug. "Would have made it a lot easier. Remind me to water first next time. Don't get tangled up in this."

Even with the hose set on low, she had to raise her voice to be heard above the water. "Did he mention Horace B? That's the local high school most kids go to--you know, the place you go to learn. If anyone asks you, just say you're homeschooled. That means you learn at home." Kit's earlier question of a movie seemed like a good idea, the more she thought of it. Watching a bit of tv could help her learn how people spoke and did things, maybe prepare her a bit more before her next trip out in public. She figured once they were finished in the garden (and probably showered), Kit could pick out a movie for them to watch together.

Mag carried the hose around each of the raised beds, listening out for Kit's step behind her. "Anything else you wanted to know? We're almost finished here, then we can go inside."

Her explanation answered one question only to raise another. Kit recalled the bright screen just fine and how much she had enjoyed watching it. The stories had been harder to follow than the ones that Missulvan told her from the book, though she suspected that with time she'd understand them just as easily. Maybe even enough that she could enjoy them with others.

Friends, on the other hand. That was something new to her. She'd heard the man at church use it a few times, and it made her wonder just what it meant. That curiosity would need to wait for a few minutes, as it was time to water the plants. Kit made a mental note to herself to remind Missulvan on their next day out: water then weeds.

Saying she was homeschooled felt quite accurate, seeing as so far her learning had been in Missulvan's home. It did raise a curiosity as to just where else one would learn, and Kit wondered if she would ever see this school. It did give her a chance though to ask her newest question to sprout from her stream of consciousness. "And friends?"

"Friends." Mag drew her tongue across her teeth, considering how to best answer it. "Friends are...people you like that you spend time with and do things with. Alex is my friend." The word stung her, and she thought about the distance that had grown between them in the past few years. Alex had stuck around (they were the only one who had), but she had drawn away from them so much that she wondered how far and how taut that string could stretch until it snapped.

"And now you're my friend. I mean--I hope so, at least. I hope by now we're friends." Mag tugged the hose along a little harder then, watering the dahlias in silence for a moment. She'd easily called Kit her friend before, but saying it directly to her gave her an unexpected flush. It had been a long time since she'd called someone new her friend, and the realization left her feeling strange in a way she couldn't put a finger on. "Anyway, Tom is probably trying to meet some new friends his age. This place is so small, there's rarely anyone new who comes to town."

Mag once again wondered how old Kit was: she'd seemed young, but it was possible she was older than she looked and acted. She thought she'd try again. "Kit, you don't know your own age, do you? If you're as old as Tom or as Alex and me?" She turned around to water the next plant bed, only too late realizing was standing directly behind her. "Oh, Kit--I'm sorry, are you okay? That was an accident, I'm sorry." She took her hand quickly off the handle, though the mouth of the hose still dripped to the ground. Her own mouth quirked upward in an apologetic smile. "Maybe it's best if you water these last two."

People you wanted to spend time with? Well, that was a very short list for Kit, indeed. In fact, at the moment she could say without second thoughts that Missulvan was her only friend. Maybe she could come to trust Tom or Alex like she did her kind hostess, but for now it was just her presence that she found herself seeking. Alex did also seem to be nice, though Kit was hesitant.

"How old?" The question was a difficult one indeed. Particularly because she had no idea what that or 'age' meant. Kit tried to imagine just what categories would put Tom different from Missulvan or from Alex, her brows furrowed. Depe thoughts were interrupted by an unexpected blast of water right at her chest.

Yelping from the simple surprise more than anything else, Kit took a wide step to the side, shaking her head. Collecting herself, she brushed away the excess water that wasn't absorbed, looking to Missulvan's hand and the hose she held. She'd been watching as they moved along and had some confidence in how to work it. Accepting the hose, she watched it quizzically as she answered. "Age is?" A never-ending battle of simple definitions in order to answer basic questions.

Finding the handle to release the water, Kit hadn't thought to turn it toward the plants before it came blasting out, sending a quick spurt right back at Missulvan's stomach. Immediately realizing her error, she turned her whole body away toward the plants. "Did not mean!" Her tone was clearly panicked and she even took a few timid steps away from Missulvan from a less than pleasant habit.

Mag laughed, and to her own surprise, it was an increasingly easy thing to do. "Well, I deserved that," she said, wringing her skirt out. "Don't worry about it. I know you didn't mean to." She followed at Kit's elbow, making sure the hose was pointed toward the dirt and that none of the plants got over-watered.

"Age," she mused. What was the simplest way to explain it? "Age is how old you are. How old you are is how long you've been alive, or how many years. Tom is seventeen, I think. He's still in high school, so he's not quite an adult yet. Alex is just a little younger than me, but they're twenty-eight. Does that make any sense?" As someone who didn't like math, she tended to clock out whenever numbers were mentioned, but she hoped Kit understood at least a little.

"That should be good for now. Thank you." Yanking the watering hose back to its spot, she stopped before returning it to its hook, turning it on its lowest setting before letting it spray into the air, the droplets showering down like rain. After so much time in the sun, the light drizzle was a relief. "We were wet anyway," she offered in explanation, shutting it off and returning the hose where it belonged. "Come on, let's go inside. We'll wash up again and put on something dry."

Relief that her fumble hadn't resulted in Missulvan growing angry with her, Kit relaxed as she held the hose and worked to water the plants. She paid close attention to just how she was directed to hold the hose handle. The dirt was soon drenched and turned to mud. A part of her longed to step right in the mushy mixture, though she also knew that would track a mess into Missulvan's house.

Years...she'd heard that before. When she was taken to the Grey Room they would say a long number and also mention 'years old'. That number was one she'd have to think on in order to recall. For now, she'd follow along with Missulvan's request. Their time outside was spent and after a light sprinkle on them, they would be heading inside. Kit enjoyed the feeling the light mist had left them with, though she was also eager to head inside and get out of the fierce sun.

Stepping into the humble abode, Kit felt a familiar gnaw of hunger in her stomach. Her eyes shifted to the kitchen before over to the bathroom. Missulvan had said they would wash and dress, but she was a bit eager. "Will eat more today?" She worried that her hunger could be a stressor on Missulvan and their friendship.

"What's that?" Mag squeezed the remaining water out of her dress and wiped her feet on the mat before stepping inside. "Oh--dinner, yes. Let's get cleaned up first before we eat, though. It feels nicer to be dressed and clean when you relax--well, I think so. Let's make it quick so we can eat sooner."

She once again brought two changes of clothes from the bedroom, leading Kit toward the bathroom for the second time since she'd been at the house. "You usually don't have to bathe this much, I promise," she assured her with some amusement, realizing how strange it must be that there was always some sort of cleaning going on in her home. "It's just because we were outside and need to wash the sweat and dirt off." Her face still felt flushed from the sun, her hand itchy from too much time in the dahlias. A shower sounded nice right about then.

She discarded her own dress into the laundry basket, cooler without the weight of it, and began running water for the shower. "You can get undressed now," she said over her shoulder, going over to Kit once the water had reached a comfortable temperature. Her hands went to the girl's hair, removing the elastic tying the braid together and combing it gently through with her fingers. "So pretty," she murmured, letting the soft curl pass through her hands, then tapped her quickly on the shoulder to signal her to get in. She wondered if Kit was well enough to bathe herself (or familiar enough with the concept to do so), but if they were in a hurry to eat, that would be a question for another time. Her hands worked the shampoo quickly but gently through Kit's hair, though she gave the washcloth rubbed through with soap for Kit to do on her own. Once she was finished, Mag wrapped her in a towel, stepping into the shower right as Kit stepped out.

"You can go ahead and dry yourself off and put your clothes on while I'm in the shower. You can make yourself comfortable in the living room until I'm out, all right? I'll be just a minute." She pulled the shower curtain shut behind her, removing the rest of her clothing and placing them on the floor outside.

The protective walls of the home were more than welcoming, providing refuge from the hot sun and now promises of more food. Kit's stomach growled once more in anticipation and she hoped it couldn't be heard. The realization struck her as they were headed to the bathroom that Missulvan fed her several times already. Not only that, but she was clothing her, teaching her, and keeping her safe and clean. Kit didn't know what she could do to ever return the gestures, but she vowed she would find something.

The shower was a wonderful way to refresh after such a long day. Kit let out a low groan of approval as the warm water washed over her back, the rhythmic beating welcomed. She decided she preferred this to the bath of before. The bandages on her feet and chest were drenched by the time she was shampooed and had lathered her body up. Though she was happy to follow directions to dress, she decided these would only make her shirt wet. Still in the towel and carrying her next set of clothes for the day, Kit padded out to the living space.

Sitting on the edge of the couch, she began the careful process to remove the sopping cloth from her feet. She was mindful to undo what she had watched Missulvan do to wrap them on, surprised to see the soles of her feet were doing much better than they had at her arrival. Dried blood had washed away in the shower and now she was left with healing sores and the remnants of a few blisters. Stripping the bandage from her chest was more difficult as she couldn't see it's entirety. Gradually she was able to sli it off, though a strain of the skin caused her to wince. The gash along her side was still unpleasant to look at, though it wasn't openly bleeding. Grateful for whatever magic Missulvan had managed, she took the dirtied wraps and tossed them in the bin she'd seen used for garbage.

Returning to the still empty living room, Kit pulled on the long and baggy shirt that would serve as her clothes for the remainder of the day. Underwear were tugged on - but not tucked in -and she still felt just as fresh as she had in the shower. Better now, with the mobility in her chest once more. She found comfort in the pile of blankets that had been her bed the night prior, tugging one on to her lap and sitting patiently to await Missulvan's presence.

Mag emerged from the bathroom a few moments later, wrapped in the flannel robe once again and her hair twisted around a towel down her back. "Kit, you're in here?" she called, her question answered by a shuffle from the sofa. Has she been there this whole time? Kit took instructions very seriously, Mag had found, and often didn't act outside the guidelines she'd been given. She thought of something she probably should have said before, or clarified for the girl if she had already. "You don't have to stay in one spot, you know. You can go wherever you'd like here. It's your house too, as long as you need it to be."

Before starting on dinner, she remembered her earlier thought about settling in with a movie. "Here, look." She went to a cabinet by the bookcase, opening it to reveal a small set of dvds. She'd half-forgotten what was in there since she usually preferred podcasts or audiobooks, but now that Kit was here, she figured they would have more use for them. "These are some movies we have. Why don't you pick out one you like and I'll put it on for us to watch while we're eating dinner? I'll go get started as you look, and once you find something, you come get me."

Mag pulled herself to her feet, leaving Kit to sort through the cases as she went to the kitchen.

Last edited:
Kit straightened her slouch at the sound of Missulvan emerging from the bathroom. Even knowing she couldn't be seen, there was an ingrained belief that posture was important when being presented. She knew that Missulvan was not like Them, but it would likely take some time for her to let her guard down completely.

It's your house too.

Her heart skipped a beat at those words, offered something she had never had before. Could this really be her house? Somewhere with meals that were warm and cooked with care. A place where she slept on more than a mattress void of stuffing, instead offered blankets and soft pillows to lay her head on. Kit would have liked that more than she could possibly ever have the words to express, though still she worried. Missulvan was fine with her staying, but if she couldn't return any gestures might that change? Could she possibly be tossed out into the unknown or worse, brought back to Them? A look to her hostess - no, her friend - told her that this wasn't a risk. At least not as long as she didn't do anything horribly wrong.

Following the directions she had been given, Kit knelt beside the case. She was met with so many colorful spines and once more words. Frowning, she began to take each of them out, one by one, examining the rest to see if she could learn more like she had with the pictures in the book. There were a few that she immediately placed back, likely too old that there was little color or anything to grab her attention on the case. Narrowing it down bit by bit, she finally selected one that piqued her interest the most.

Holding the case to her chest, Kit made sure the rest were tucked away, lest someone slip on one and fall, before heading into the kitchen. Already there were delicious aromas delicious enough to make her drool, though she controlled herself. "Found movie," she announced with a hint of pride in her voice. "Apple movie."

"Apple," she muttered thoughtfully, trying to think of what movie Kit might have found. "Oh"--her fingers found the braille label at the back--"that's a peach. James and the Giant Peach." She couldn't help grinning at the pride with which Kit had announced her selection--she was on the right track, at least. "But you were close."

She washed her hands quickly, taking the dvd to the living room and placing the disc in the player, letting it play as she went back to the kitchen to serve the food on plates. Fish, rice, tomato slices (it hadn't escaped her notice that Kit had left those on her breakfast plate that morning), and two glasses of water were placed on the coffee table near the sofa, along with a couple forks and some napkins. "Eat those this time," she said, tapping Kit's plate with her fork where she'd placed the vegetables. "Those are good for you."

Mag settled into the sofa, her own plate nestled between her knees. "I haven't watched this one in a long time. This was one I used to like when I was younger."

Kit spared a look of distrust toward the red slices that Missulvan pointed out. They were slimey and not something she found interest in. Still, if Missulvan insisted, she supposed she could try at least one. That or find a better way to hide what she wasn't eating...

Mirroring Missulvan, Kit pulled her own plate on to her knees, examining the contents it held. The slices were nudged to the side, to be dealt with later. Instead she examined the small grains that took up a good portion of her plate. Brows furrowed, she moved a few around before finally managing to load some up on her fork. Bringing it to her mouth she found the texture pleasant, even if there wasn't large amounts of flavor.

She chewed quietly as she listened to both the television and Missulvan. There was a lot going on for her to try and focus on, though thankfully the comment seemed to be a passing one so that Kit could keep her eyes on the screen and the animations that danced across it. "Peach not apple," she murmured before she went after another bite, this time testing the slab of meat with a few pokes.

Mag couldn't tell if the movie was stranger than she remembered or if the occasional lack of visual context contributed to the confusion. She remembered reading the book as a child and later others by the same author. There was something of a dark, strange humor to them that had never shocked her as a child--made her laugh, even--but also a kind of sadness she had only noticed now. Children with no parents, cruel parents, neglected and even abused, bullied, lost--they had to be clever to escape their circumstances.

She wondered if that's why she had never thought her situation unusual as a child, thinking that children were neglected and abandoned every day, and it was only a matter of time until someone would come along and bring her to a better place. Which was true for her case, of course, but something struck her as sad now about how children learned too soon that the people trusted to care for you were often the ones that hurt you the most.

Who the hell overthinks a cartoon? She shook her head as if to clear the thought, busying herself by taking her dirty dishes to the kitchen. After a second thought, she scrubbed and dried them too, only returning to her spot on the couch after she had completed her small task.

Mag pulled a blanket up to her chest, trying to once again get comfortable. Even with her hair towel-dried, it had left a wet mark on the back of the sofa where she had been lying. She hesitated a moment, but then moved closer to Kit, leaning against her but careful not to put too much weight on her. "Weird movie, isn't it?" she remarked off-handedly.

Last edited:
The movie was nothing like what Kit had watched the day prior. These weren't real people on the screen, and she finally had to wonder if this was drawn or something magical. Her eyes couldn't be taken off the images, though she did still be sure to eat her food. The meat was good, though once it was gone she was left with the red slippery vegetable, as it had been called.

Sighing, she speared the slice and slowly brought it to her mouth. Kit's entire face scrunched up in disapproval of the acidic taste and odd texture. In an effort to keep Missulvan pleased, she stomached the food and the second slice, silently hoping that they wouldn't have it again.

Dinner out of the way and focusing back on the Rollercoaster of a plot, Kit looked over at the question. "Is...good," she decided, though she had many questions. "Spider is scary...but nice."

Mag smiled, adjusting her pillow. "Miss Spider, yes. She's like his mother. I like her a lot too." She tried to think of anything else Kit might be wondering about so she could fill in any questions the girl might have had. "It's a pretend story--I mean, it would be nice if things like that could happen. You know, magic."

What else was there? Wasn't there something about the animation? "Oh--this is called stop motion. Instead of using drawings or real people, they make little figures, like dolls, and little trees and houses and all those things. They take pictures of the dolls in different poses, then when they put them all together, it looks as if they're moving." She remembered the first time she had watched this movie, thinking it was the most magical thing when it was described to her. Like living toys, almost, things brought to life.

Mag closed her eyes, feeling herself want to sleep but unwilling to. "We have a peach tree in the front yard, but it's never grown fruit that big," she mumbled. "Imagine if it did, though."

Kit had to agree it would have been nice to be able to fly a peach across the country. It'd be much easier than trying to run with how rough it could be on her paws. Granted, after her experience with Alex she felt it would even be beneficial if they could drive rather than walk. She couldn't imagine how hard it would be to go a great distance with Missulvan not being able to see. Going around her house was one thing, but out in the open and unknown was dangerous to say the least.

"Dolls..." she mused aloud, watching the characters as they moved across the screen. If each motion was a series of small moves of the figures, it had to take quite some time for this movie to be made! The word impress escaped her, though it was the feeling that swept over her.

Kit relaxed back in the couch, the movie coming to an end just as Missulvan seemed to be too tired to stay awake. "Big peach," she said with a small chuckle, imagining that'd mean it was as big as the house! Maybe even bigger. A new interest in just what a peach would taste like appeared and she shifted to better face Missulvan. "We eat peach tomorrow? From tree?"

"Mhmm," Mag mumbled, unmoving. "Still in season. Won't grow any more for a while after this month." She was barely aware of Kit shifting on the sofa next to her, asking about dolls and peaches in a conversation she was barely following. Peaches tomorrow, she thought vaguely. Maybe along with breakfast?

She opened her eyes what felt like a second later but what must have been hours. Her phone read the time aloud: 2:57. She tried to go back to sleep, but only succeeded in turning about uncomfortably until she became irritated and decided to start the day. Pulling herself gingerly from the sofa, she was careful to not wake Kit, pulling the blanket she had been using over the girl instead.

Mag cleared Kit's dishes from the night before, heating water in the tea kettle and silencing it before the whistle could rouse Kit. She ran quickly through her usual morning routine--teeth, laundry, tidying--then decided to get started on that day's work. She took her laptop to the back porch so Kit wouldn't be disturbed by the text-to-speech program she used to edit.

The birds started sometime around six AM and the rest of the morning sounds gradually followed, the dark fading into early day. She had woken Kit early the day before and decided to let her sleep. She was sure Kit would get up as soon as she was hungry, anyway.

Early mornings did indeed catch up to Kit, who had fallen asleep moments after the movie had ended. She'd been too excited by the anamorphic creatures and their adventures to sleep, but the second the credits rolled and she realized it was over, the young woman found comfort just a short ways away from where Missulvan laid. It was a slice of serenity that she was clinging to and sought as a refuge from the world that might do her harm.

Morning sun was seeping into the small home and it grew closer to noon before Kit finally stirred awake. Blinking sleepily, she looked around as she stretched her arms over her head. She wasn't sure where Missulvan was, and there was frankly mild disappointment that she couldn't smell food. Guilt that she had begun to expect it whenever hunger crept up on her. Kit knew she was grateful for so much more that her friend was able to provide, even if food was a simple necessity.

After a brief visit to the bathroom, she began a careful wandering of the house, though it didn't take long. The bedroom was empty, making Kit frown. The kitchen was also without Missulvan, but thankfully a noise brought her attention to the porch. Relief washed over her and swept away worry she hadn't even realized had been building when she spotted her seated outside. "Morning," she chirped, happy to find that everything was okay. "Outside?"

"Hey. One second." Mag smiled, quickly finishing what she was working on and shutting her laptop. She hadn't realized until now that she had been waiting for Kit to wake up, checking the time every so often, eager for the company. It was an odd realization that left her with feelings she couldn't quite pinpoint, but she didn't pause too long to think about it.

"Sorry. Yes. I came out here so you could sleep in--figured waking you up to tell you where I was would have made that pointless. Hungry?" She didn't wait for an answer as she passed through the door, knowing full well what response she'd receive. Her own chipper mood struck her as somewhat strange, as she usually went about her own business quietly and dutifully, but she decided to save that thought for later.

After washing her hands at the sink, Mag began taking out things to make breakfast with, then stopped, remembering what she had told Kit yesterday. It was her house too--shouldn't that include the kitchen? It was a place in the house she was especially fastidious in keeping, and even Alex was barely allowed in. She let out a small breath of minor resignation.

"Kit, come here and wash your hands. You can help me with breakfast."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back