• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Shifting World

The underwear had come on, as instructed, though details were missed. Either way Kit returned to watching the show, a part of her stil listening to the next room where there was running water. The cheerful colors and happy laughter soon won over her full attention. She'd kept herself centered in the blankets and pillows, feeling it was important if that was where Missulvan had left her.

As much as she was focused on the screen, the sudden noise of the doorbell made Kit jump in her seat. What was that? Head jerking in the direction of the door, her fear only grew when hard knocking on wood followed. Heart racing, she slid behind the couch, pressing her body into the back to try and hide. Was it Them? Had They managed to find her?

A woman's voice was muffled but Kit did not recognize it. Missulvan spoke to her, clearly recognizing her which eased some worry. She had pomised it was safe, and Kit trusted her word. Cautiously, she stood from behind the couch, staying close to the wall as she inched closer, wanting to see the stranger. But Missulvan blocked her view! Head tilted, she tried to peer past, standing with her frazzled hair and oversized shirt, the hem of which was bunched up and tucked into the underwar she'd been instructed to wear. One hand held the back of Missulvan's robe, a light grip as curiosity was still getting the better of her just out of view of the new comer.

"No. Yes. I mean, yes, she's staying with me for a while. This is Kit." Mag hadn't noticed the younger girl at first, focused as she was on Mrs. Bailey and keeping her away--until she felt the small hand on her back, the slight tug of fabric. She suppressed a groan, but cast her eyes briefly upward as if praying for patience. Buna used to tease her and tell her to stop furrowing her eyebrows because her face would stay that way, and maybe she was right, because that seemed like the only expression she was capable of wearing lately.

"Oh. I see." Mrs. Bailey did not sound as if she saw, but politely took Kit's appearance in stride. "And Kit is?"

"A family friend." Mag barely paused. "She's--getting over being ill, so I don't think now would be a good time for her to be visiting with anyone just yet." Being ill--as if that could explain anything! It was close enough to the truth, at least, and Mag hoped it was enough to excuse whatever seemed odd about the situation. She knew they both looked in poor shape, and even that was generous for Kit, who had tangled hair, a mural of injuries, and odds and end for an outfit. Mag reached for the hand that was clutching at her robe, overlaying it with her own to keep Kit pacified. She seemed calm enough, at least.

"Oh, well that's too bad. Maybe she'd like the soup that's in here? Would that make her feel better? Saturday is potato soup day over at the diner--well, you know that." Judy took a step closer, seeming to address Kit rather than Mag now. Mag subconsciously took a step backward in response, nearly backing up into the other girl as she did so. She took the plastic bag from the woman quickly with her other hand. The bottom was still hot with the food that was packed in its styrofoam box.

"I'm sure she would, thank you." Mag turned to Kit as she said this, holding her smile in place, though it was almost a desperate one at this point. Too late she remembered the incident with the clothes, and reached backward with the hand she'd been holding Kit's with, trying not to draw Judy's attention to what she was doing. Kit had done what she was told: the best way she knew, anyway. Mag quickly tugged the shirt out from her underwear and returned her attention to Mrs. Bailey with a smile. Who knows what number of conclusions she was now drawing.

"You've been very kind," she said, trying to balance between kind and firm, "but I have some things to finish, and I know Kit needs to be off her feet and resting. Thank you for coming by."

"Oh--yes, yes, I don't mean to keep you. I'm sure you have...things to do." Mrs. Bailey seemed distracted, as if she were pulling her attention away from something else and back to the conversation. Kit's appearance and demeanor was sure to give her plenty to wonder about, and the last thing they needed was anyone prying into the situation before Mag could figure out what they were going to do. "But you go ahead and give me a call if you need anything else, either of you. 'Lena, you'll let me know if there's anything else you need?" Mag nodded quickly, hoping it would hurry Ms. Judy along. "Okay, well, you do that, then. We're just right behind you, it's really no trouble. Kit, it was lovely meeting you. I hope we'll all get to properly meet you soon once you're better?" A quiet rush of fabric--an arm against a windbreaker, most likely--gave Mag the feeling Judy was reaching out for something, a handshake or a wave, she couldn't tell. The older woman's question stuck with her.

Wouldn't that be something.

Kit listened intensely to the two women, eyes bouncing between them as she soaked up their conversation. Was she ill? She didn't think she was... Though, Missulvan had warned her that without her wounds being cleaned she'd grow sick. Maybe they had been too late? But she had not seemed worried when they stopped with the fire water. Her brows were knitted in confusion until the realization dawned on her.

Missulvan had lied.

This woman, whose name Kit had missed, was not being told the truth. Missulvan was not eager to have her stay, which made Kit think that the woman could not be trusted. If Missulvan did not trust someone, Kit decided that was the best way to treat them.

Her hesitant stance was swayed slightly at the scent of something new. Another food? Despite eating the breakfast that was more than she was used to, Kit could hear her stomach already grumbling at the smell. But the woman had not called this breakfast. This was soup? She was nearly tempted to reach for the bag but Missulvan seemed determined to keep a barrier between them. Even still, the woman seemed eager to make contact with Kit, moving her hand in the air.

What was she supposed to do? The woman had spoken so fast Kit could hardly keep up with her! Knowing she couldn't wait for direction from Missulvan, she did her best to mimic the motion the woman did, repeating back wods she had heard from her hostess. "T-thank you for coming by." Maybe they were secret words that would send her off? Kit could only hope.

Mrs. Bailey seemed satisfied with that answer, so after a last goodbye, Mag closed the door and sighed, leaning against the doorframe. Kit handled herself well, but she was sure the experience must have been confusing.

"That was Mrs. Bailey," Mag started, the words coming out more like an exhale than a sentence. "She lives in the neighborhood nearby--I'll take you by there sometime. I've known her and her family for a long time, so you don't need to worry about her. She's nice, but sometimes she too curious about everyone else's business. What they're doing," she added, hoping that was clear. The interaction had left her strangely rattled. She needed to move.

"I told you you're safe here," she continued, taking the grocery bag to the kitchen and removing its contents, "and you are, but to make sure of that, we need to be careful who we talk to. Sometimes word spreads around all over the place. Do you see? Whoever it is you're hiding from, I don't want them to find out you're here."

She hadn't realized how much time had passed. Her phone read the time aloud: 4:13, not quite dinnertime, but any time seemed like a good time to eat on Kit's watch. She couldn't help but wonder if she was the best person for Kit to stay with (of course you're not), especially seeing how nervous she'd seemed to make her just now. But if she wanted to keep her safe, Kit had to stay here--close to her, right at her side if they had to go out, but here. She knew the city well, but her home even better, and there was no one here beside herself to cause any unpredictability. It wasn't fear or paranoia, not misanthropy: it was common sense. There were no guarantees what would happen anywhere else, especially with Kit's limited knowledge of things.

I'm not teaching her fear. She has to be careful.

"You go ahead and eat what you want from there," Mag said, returning to her spot on the floor. She'd dropped her task in a hurry when Mrs. Bailey rang, but she found the brush with her foot and took it up again. "I have to get groceries tomorrow, so there will be more food in the morning."

She realized it was true when she said it--she did have to go out tomorrow to restock the pantry, not to mention pick up a few extra things for Kit if she was going to be staying. And go to the church tomorrow morning to play piano for the service if she wanted another check. She groaned internally, the thought causing her to scrub the wood just a little harder than was necessary.

So much for keeping Kit safe at home.

Abandoning the television for the smell of food, Kit listened to Missulvan's words. The woman lived nearby and seemed to come to bring the soup. That seemed nice, but they still needed to be careful. That much Kit could understand as she took the spoon after the soup (she realized it was too hot and liquid to use her fingers).

"Home is safe and want stay safe," she relayed her understanding. Mrs. Bailey was not a threat but could lead one to them. Lead Them here. Kit did not want that. Cobalt eyes shifted down to where Missulvan was, her curiosity rising once more. "Why down there?" She wasn't quite aware of what the other was doing.

"Yes, exactly." Mag nodded, not turning away from her task but addressing her from below. "We're being careful."

Kit's question was a familiar one, and she remembered asking it herself as a child: Can't we just mop?

The mop is too heavy for you. I'll do it with you--you do one room, I'll do the other. We'll be just like Cinderella. Remember that part?

"The floor needs cleaning sometimes, otherwise it gets dirty or sticky or muddy. See here?" She put her hand on something caked to the wood: a dried, muddy footprint from the night before. A few persistent scrubs and it was gone. "The brush cleans better than anything else. So I use that."

She finished the last of the mud stains, giving Kit time to eat, before standing and wiping her palms on her skirt. "Speaking of clean," she said, "I think it's about time we cleaned you up. We need to shower you and do your hair, remember?" She figured now that Kit had rested and had something in her stomach, she was probably ready for round two of tidying herself up. They likely would need to dress her more serious wounds as well to keep them from getting infected. She threw the styrofoam bowl away once Kit was finished, once again leading her to the bathroom.

Mag wasn't really sure how familiar Kit was with the concept of bathing--probably not very, if her familiarity with clothing was anything to go by. After that incident, she figured it was best to monitor Kit's tasks until she was certain the girl knew how to properly do them herself. She couldn't leave her to her own devices and only realize Kit had made a mistake when they were already in someone else's company. Lesson learned, she stayed with Kit in the bathroom to help her undress. The girl didn't seem particularly shy, and it wasn't as if Mag could see her, anyway.

"You can take those things off," she said, tugging lightly at the shirt to signal what she meant, "and put them in here." She pulled out a hamper and set it before her as Mag rolled up her sleeves, turning the bathwater on. Was it a soak or shower that was better if you were injured? Soaking spread bacteria to the rest of the body, didn't it? She decided she'd have Kit sit in the tub but not fill it up, using the handheld shower instead. That would make it easier if she needed to wash Kit's hair herself, too.

Mag knelt by the bathtub, letting the water run until it was a comfortable temperature. "Kit, are you ready to get in?"

Undressing felt much easier to handle than getting dressed had. Maybe it helped that she was full and content. Either way, she peeled off the clothing and put it where she had been directed to. The sound of water had her attention, curiosity ever present. It was gathering and soon it became clear that she was expected to get in.

"Ready," Kit breathed in uncertainty. She stayed back though she kept telling herself this was fine...whatever this was. She trusted her and it was water. The same water she drank, right? Inching toward the tub, she shakily put one leg and then another over the edge until she was standing in the warm water. That wasn't so bad. Was that all there was to it?

"You need to sit, iubi. Help me out here," she said, tugging her arm gently. She held onto her arm and eased her down so she wouldn't slip, waiting until she was sure Kit was on the floor of the tub. There was a bit of water in the bath, enough to be comfortable but not too much that Kit might feel uneasy or harm herself.

Her hair had felt knotted when Mag had touched it earlier, so Mag figured it would take some effort to get it untangled enough to wash. "Is everything okay?" She ran her hand through the water to check the temperature again, then said, "Look, this might feel uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt very much. I'm going to take out the knots with this, all right?"

Mag separated the girl's hair into two sections, carefully working her fingers through it until it was in two even parts, then squeezed the shampoo into the palm of her hand. She began working it through one section, then took Kit's hand and put a small amount in hers as well. "See, that's the soap that'll make your hair clean. Put it in like I'm doing, okay?" She continued working it through the section of hair, half combing, half washing. "Just be careful not to get it in your eyes, because it might sting. You can close them if you want to."

Sitting in the water didn't feel as bad as she had worried. It was warm but nothing like how They had cleaned her. Then again, nothing about Missulvan was like They had been. So far she had been kind and understanding to Kit, more than anyone in her memorable life. And so she would comply, even for things she may not have understood.

The soap smelled wonderful, even if Kit couldn't place it. Like the outside but not the muddy mess of the night prior. She once more mimicked what she felt, unable to see what she was doing. Fingers rubbed her head, wincing as she hit the bump she'd found that morning, being more ginger in her motions. Not wanting more stinging on her body, Kit didn't let the shampoo foam too low.

Gradually the clumped hair turned more to strands, dirt, leaves, and more falling to the tub. It felt good, Kit enjoying how it began to feel, soft and smelling good. She copied Missulvans motions, washing her hands in the water occasionally to clean them. "Smells good," she commented softly.

"Mm-hmm." Mag continued working the shampoo through her hair, rinsing it with clean water from the tap. She wasn't sure if Kit had any other injuries she hadn't told her about, so she treaded lightly, murmuring, "Look up," every few minutes as she rinsed the soap from her scalp. She took a small towel next, rubbing a bar of soap into it until it foamed. It was gentle, so she hoped it wouldn't irritate Kit's wounds too much. "Kit, this is to clean everywhere else. I'll start for you, but I don't want to get too much soap on any of your cuts, so you'll have to do the rest, okay?"

Mag touched Kit's neck gingerly, checking for any obvious cuts, before running the soapy cloth along her skin. She did the same for her arms, then gave the towel back to Kit. "Do what I did, here and here." She gestured vaguely to her own torso and legs. "I'll go get you something to sleep in."

A moment later (less than a minute, worried what Kit could do unattended in a tub of water, even if it was hardly an inch) she returned with another tee and pair of underwear. "Finished?" She drained the dirty water, rinsing her off with more clean water, then wrapped a towel around her, holding onto her as she climbed out.

The entire process had turned into a learning experience for Kit. Soap for hair, soap for her body. Everything to clean away the filth she had built up from her escape through the woods. A brief examination of Missulvan while she was being cleaned told her that this was a normal occurrence. They must stay clean just as she had cleaned the floors.

Using the cloth she paid as much attention to cleaning herself as Missulvan had. The soap lathered and spread and by the time they were done Kit felt like a new girl. A fed girl who was cleaned and not afraid. At least not right then... With aid she stood from the tub and was wrapped up tight. The water trickling down her legs tickled her, a small smile on her face as she stood as still as she could.

"More clothes," she observed of the shirt and underwear. Recalling the earlier interaction a smile spread. "For wearing. Not slingshot." Though she still didn't quite know what that was. With assistance Kit was dressed once more, this time smelling fresh and feeling simply soft.

"Not a slingshot," Mag agreed, returning the smile. She led Kit back to her spot on the sofa, but this time she sat behind her, beginning to towel her hair dry. "Look, Kit, we need to talk about tomorrow." She tucked her legs underneath herself, squeezing the excess water out of the other girl's hair into the towel. "Remember I told you I needed to go out tomorrow? To get food from the store? I have to go to work tomorrow morning as well, and--well, I don't want to leave you here by yourself. Do you think you could come with me?"

Mag collected the hair at Kit's shoulders, gathering it into sections for a braid. "I know you'll be safe as long as you stay near me, and don't wander off or talk to anyone you don't know. But I thought I should ask you how you feel about that." She tied off the end of the braid, treading her fingers through the wispy hair at Kit's temples to tidy it. But her hand stopped when she recognized something--or thought she did.

There was a small notch in the girl's ear, near the top where it rounded into a shell-like shape. But she hadn't noticed it until just right now, so why--?

The cat that also had a notched ear. That's why.

The thought was vague, but somehow clearer than anything else she'd thought that day. As ridiculous as it sounded, as far-fetched, crazy, unbelievable--it was too much of a coincidence, wasn't it? She'd been tired last night, but not so tired she'd been imagining things. There was something going on here she didn't quite understand but that was steadily revealing itself, though she wasn't sure how the every piece fit into place. This one thing, at least, she was almost certain of.

She held the notched skin between her thumb and forefinger, absent but careful.

Perched in place, Kit sat as still as she possibly could, though she longed to turn and look at Missulvan to see what she was doing. The gentle tugging was foreign though it didn't exactly hurt, just left her slightly uncomfortable. She began talking and Kit did her best to listen, even if she wanted to look backwards so badly.

They were going somewhere? Out of the house. Missulvan wanted her to come out of the house. Kits immediate concern was of the safety of leaving where she was told there was no danger was stifled quickly. She was so grateful that her worries were understood, especially when voicing them was still a challenge.

Kit mulled over the options she was being given. If she stayed home she would be alone. She would have no one to listen to or her. The other option of leaving was a potential danger if They found her. She shivered at the thought, not wanting to imagine what that could mean for her. Ultimately even if there was risk, Kit wanted to be near Missulvan. Someone who tried to talk to her, and help her understand. Nodding, she agreed to the suggestion. "Tomorrow leave house. Stay with Missulvan." She could manage that.

Kit's voice brought her back to the moment, and she let go of the strange cut that had held her attention. She wanted to ask about it, but somehow that didn't seem right, especially now that she had just convinced the girl to go out with her tomorrow. If someone had done that to her, wouldn't it be unwise to remind her there were people like that out in the world? Mag bit her cheek in thought. It was a fine line, treading between her need to know and her desire to keep Kit feeling secure.

Kit's answer granted her some relief, though. That was one issue solved. "Thank you," she breathed, relieved, taking Kit's head softly between her hands and leaning her forehead briefly against the top of her damp hair. The closeness was unusual for her but somehow instinctual, easy, even. "Okay, I need to take a shower myself now. You'll be all right for a few minutes?"

She didn't want to leave Kit with nothing to do in the meantime, but she still didn't think it wise for the girl to be moving around much with all the injuries she had. The TV was still playing quietly in the background, but she remembered one other thing.

In a corner of the room, Buna's small bookcase stood waist-high, stuffed nearly to bursting. Mag had never had the heart to move them, even if she herself had little use for them. She selected one and brought it to the sofa.

"Here, this was one of my grandmother's books. These were stories she used to tell me when I was little." It was a short, thick book, its spine cracked, and she had recognized it right away. "I can't read it to you, but maybe you can look at the pictures while I'm gone. If you tell me what one of the pictures are when I come back, I'll tell it to you."

She tapped the hard cover twice and went back to the bathroom, returning a half hour later in similar clothes to Kit's. Mag sat back in her previous spot on the sofa, twisting long black hair over her shoulder into a towel until it stopped dripping.

The journey from the bathroom was brief, as most movement through the small house seemed to be. Kit followed closely, excited to find they had returned to her spot with the soft pillows and blankets. Eagerly climbing back on to the couch, she was fully prepared to focus on the bright screen across the room when Missulvan offered something else. Hesitantly, she turned away from the shows she was only beginning to understand.

Gingerly she accepted the book she was offered, confusion on her face at just what was being asked of her. This was old and had a funny smell to it, nothing like the fun screen. Kit looked up in question, though another realization struck her. This was important to Missulvan. To have something from when she was young and still keep it meant she did not want to lose it.

Her hands held the book as if it were made of glass, unsure of this new responsibility. Tenderly she opened the hard cover, fingers tracing along the black lines all around the pages. Words, she couldn't recognize them but knew the idea. Just like spoken but forever. She carefully turned the pages one by one, eyes scanning along slowly, wishing she understood what was before her. Eventually she came to an illustration; the start of a new tale. A large lion lay in a field, paws forward, a small mouse trapped in his hold. Kit frowned, worried this would be the mouses end.

As soon as Missulvan entered the room, Kit rose up on her knees. She needed to know. "Cat - big cat," she desperately tried to explain the drawing. "Big cat catch...catch..." The word escaped her, frustration more than evident in her voice.

"Hmm? Oh," she said, remembering she had given Kit the book. "That's the lion and the mouse. The mouse comes across a sleeping lion, but its tail touches his nose as it's running by and wakes him up." Mag moved closer, tilting her head in memory. "The lion catches the mouse and wants to eat it, but the mouse promises that if it's set free, it will repay the lion's kindness one day. So the lion lets the mouse go."

She settled into the couch, leaning against its back as she began to braid her own hair over her shoulder. "The lion didn't think a mouse so small could ever help him, but one day he gets tangled in a hunter's trap and roars in pain, and the little mouse hears him. It chews through the rope until the lion is set free."
She tied off the braid and pulled her knees to herself, pressing her hand against her mouth in a yawn. It wasn't very late, but tomorrow they would need an early start, especially considering this would be Kit's first outing.

"I think it's time for bed, don't you? Where do you want to sleep?" Kit had seemed to make herself comfortable on the sofa, but the bed would give her a little more room. "You can sleep here, or go back to the bedroom where you were this morning. I'll stay with you, but I'll let you have the bed to yourself, if you want."

Lion and Mouse. She stored those pieces of information away for another day. For now Kit focused on the story she was being told, occasionally pulling her eyes off of Missulvan to look down at the drawing. The lion was quite large and could easily have eaten the small mouse, maybe even one bite! For the lion to be willing to let the mouse go, oh that was lucky for the little mouse.

But the story had yet another twist? The mouse returned and saved the lion! Unlikely, but how lucky was the lion? If he had eaten the mouse, he would have been found by the hunters. The hunters reminded Kit of Them, but then she headed to wonder, was she a lion or a mouse?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Missulvan and a new question. Kits eyes drifted toward the room - bedroom, as she called it - from before. It had been soft, but so was here, and the blankets were much larger than the towels. "Stay here," she decided, giving the pillow a gentle pat before looking back to the page open on her lap. Hopeful, she asked, "More book?"

"Just a little more. Then we really need to go to sleep." Mag pulled a pillow into her lap, balancing it against herself between her chest and her knees. "Tomorrow we need to wake up early, remember? You don't want to stay up too late be tired in the morning." They had gotten her washed and tidied today, but in the morning, she would still need to find Kit something to wear (real clothes and shoes), make breakfast, get herself ready, and leave in enough time to let Kit acclimate to the area before taking her into a place full of people.

She touched the other girl's hair absently as she leaned closer, hardly realizing what she was doing. "One more story. Did you find one?"

It was much to take in, but in the end Kit understood she was getting another book, which was what mattered. She hurriedly turned the pages, though she could tell they were frail and did not risk tearing any. After a few passed another picture appeared, this the first that came with color. Her index finger traced along the outline of the drawing, lips pulling into a soft smile as her head fell on to the back of the couch. For a moment she forgot about the story until Missulvan's voice pulled for her attention.

"Yes," Kit confirmed, heading on to the task of finding words to convey what she saw. "Girl." That much was clear, a head of long hair coming from an odd cloth on her head. The same cloth trailed down her back and to her sides, the only color on the page. After a small grunt from her struggle, she found what she was looking for. "Red. Girl red."

"Red Riding Hood. She was a little girl who always wore a red cloak her grandmother had made for her, so everyone called her Little Red." Mag leaned closer, coming to rest her chin on the other's shoulder as she went on. "One day when her grandmother was ill, Red's mother sent her with a basket of food to take to the old woman. But she warned her that if she traveled through the forest, she had to beware the wolf."

Something about that thought rang true, and Mag paused. When you're out in the world, you encounter wolves. She reached for Kit's arm defensively, gently cupping her elbow, and continued on.

Half-formed thoughts passed through her head as she spoke, pulling her attention from the story to their questions. Something about a lost young girl, and finding an animal where you expected a person--or maybe it was the other way around.

Kit's breathing had slowed, and she seemed less fidgety, but maybe not quite asleep. Her own mind was becoming hazy with sleep, but she held onto the thought. She had to know.

"Kit?" Mag jostled the girl's arm slightly where she held it, turning her head slightly more to her direction. "You said earlier that you were brought here. Was it me? Was I the one who brought you?"

The second book was decidedly better. Kit nestled in as Missulvan's calming voice filled the room around her. The girl on the page came to life in Kit's mind, carrying her basket of goodies to her grandmother's house through the woods. The dangerous woods.

Dark woods where bad things wanted to get her.

The thought nearly put Kit into a panic, if it wasn't for that voice. Soothing, calm, steady. A rhythm that her mind followed until the words were no longer words, just a gentle hum that was lulling her closer and closer to sleep. Not one of exhaustion, like she was used to, no. A relaxing and restful-

But an eager shake pulled Kit back awake. Blinking a few times, she struggled to remember. She was brought here, she knew that because she had not walked in. "Don't know," she answered through a yawn, half-lidded eyes looking up at Missulvan. "Running, rain, trees." And then the last thing she remembered. "Lights. Bright lights and sleep."

There was a show Mag half-remembered watching about a son and their housekeeper trying to make sense of his cop-father's unsolved case. The housekeeper put the pieces together and concluded a monkey had done it, and while the son was skeptical, he eventually put the pieces together and was led to believe she was right. Of course, a monkey wasn't really the culprit at the end, even if there was a logical path the two took to reach that conclusion. That's how Mag felt now--there was no way Kit could have been the animal she brought home last night, even if all the pieces fit together into an explanation. Even if she was starting to believe this was the case (and she was, despite herself), she had little evidence to go by. She kept circling through those thoughts until the words became senseless and her ideas less clear, fighting sleep as long as she could to untangle them.

She must have slept, because when she opened her eyes, it felt like some time later, though she wasn't sure how long. Her phone read a quarter to five, and she groaned softly. Now was as good a time as any to get up.

Mag pulled herself up, realizing she'd fallen asleep against Kit in the position they'd sat in the night before. She'd meant to sleep on the armchair to allow Kit her space, but the girl was sound asleep, so she figured she'd been fine. Mag got up quietly and began the day; washing up, eating an apple, finishing the laundry from the day before, and pulling on her shoes. She selected some clothes for herself and some she thought might fit Kit, then tugged on some shoes and went outside.

The air outside was still cool, the sun hardly risen. This was usually her favorite time to work on the garden: it was quiet and mild, not yet busy, hot, and bustling with the distant noises of others. She clipped some tomatoes that hung heavy from their vines, gathering them in her arms and going inside. It was about six now, and she thought it best to start getting Kit up.

"Kit." Mag shook her gently, patting her arm in two rapid motions. "Kit, it's morning. Time to start the day, pisi."

Sleep had been welcomed, for a change. It was warm, soft, and comfortable, letting Kit's body find rest that was long overdue without her in an unconscious state to achieve it. Her mind was vaguely aware of Missulvan's body beside hers as she drifted away, not feeling any need to distance herself or find a personal space. The last bits of the story of Red Girl in Hood flitted about her thoughts and dreams, though it felt like no matter what the Wolf couldn't seem to get to her.

Sleep ended abruptly, Kit launching herself into a seated position, wide eyes looking about in alarm. It took a long moment for her first to remember where she was. Safe. She was safe. Exhaling slowly, cobalt eyes fell on the familiar face that she'd grown used to but that couldn't see her. Kit nodded, Missulvan's talk of the day prior and her plans for them to get more food and then...something else she couldn't quite remember... Either way, she was saying it was time to be awake now, and so Kit would.

She dropped a couple of the pillows and the blanket dragged in the process of finding her footing. The skin was still sensitive, but not nearly as bad as it had been the day prior. Once she stood, Kit was quick to pick up the pillows she'd dropped and return them to the couch. The last thing she wanted for was Missulvan to not know they were there and cause an accident. Straightening, she was about to ask what the next direction was when a sudden urge hit her, dormant while she had slept.

"Need..." she trailed off, unsure how to voice it, even if she could visualize it. Carefully she wove her way around Missulvan and traced her way back to the bathroom from the day prior. The elastic of the underwear were a nusiance, but she managed to slide them off and have herself seated on the open seat just in time. A soft sigh escaped her as she relieved herself, and without making a mess in the process.

Mag started for the kitchen, cracking eggs into a pan coated with butter, pressing down the last of the bread into the toaster. Kit was a hardy eater and with good reason--she'd have to make sure the girl was fed enough, but also make sure she didn't make herself sick. She scraped the eggs onto a plate, adding the toast and a sliced tomato from that morning.

"There's food on the table," she called, pouring water for the both of them into glasses. She'd put a fork by the plate as well: she hadn't enforced the use of silverware for Kit's first meal, figuring that was ill-timed for a starving person, but Kit had figured it out on her own yesterday with the soup. She'd heard the spoon clanking eagerly against the side of the bowl, and figured if the girl was smart enough to use one, there was no reason now why she shouldn't.

Mag waited until Kit entered the room to pull out her chair, leaning against the counter with a mug of tea she'd made earlier. "You can say you need to go to the bathroom next time," she added, slightly muffled by the cup against her mouth. "If we're outside, just say so, and we'll ask someone where the bathroom is." She set down the tea in her hands, reaching behind her for some salve and bandages she'd found tucked away in the bathroom cabinet. Hopefully, she could patch Kit up while the girl was busy eating with minimal fuss.

"I need to cover these up before we go out today. Stay still while I put these on, please."

Navigating the bathroom was easier than expected, a flush even echoing throughout the house before the sound of running water. Ammenities she had seen and used before, even if few and far between. She followed her nose to the kitchen where once more Missulvan was cooking. Breakfast. Kit was quickly growing quite fond of this Breakfast.

She slipped into the offered chair, recongizing it as the same one she'd sat in the day prior. Missulvan seeemd to like to repeat things, which likely had to do with her lack of eyes. Immediately she reached for the glass of water, finding her mouth was dry from sleeping. There was a small fumble, but Kit managed to secure it with both hands, fast gulps sounding as she finished it in a hurry while she was being given a lesson on words. Ah yes, Bathroom. That made sense, seeing as the bath was also in that room. She would work hard to remember that, as it was clearly quite important.

Kit's hands went to grab the egg, only to find it was still too hot. Yelping, she dropped the handful, glaring at it in distrust. Food was not supposed to fight back. For now she took up the firm square, finding it had a pleasant consistency as she worked on eating it from the corner. Looking up at Missulvan's words, she wasn't quite sure just what was being covered up, but assumed she could do as was requested. "Stay still," she confirmed, mouth partially full with a bite of the toast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back